Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2010   #1
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why can't we win!?

I've been watching the playoffs and I see these teams making many dropped balls, inaccurate passes and my point for this is that whenever I see these other teams play I always say to myself "man the texans could own these guys" but on another note I say to myself "meh we're only 9-7". We have dominating LBs, amazing WRs, and arguably one of the most accurate QBs in the league. So why can't we ever get a win when we need it! With this skill we should be ATLEAST 10-6. This isn't a hit on Kubiak or anything. Anyways just thought I'd share my thought since there seems to be a drought of threads recently.
Old 01-10-2010   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why can't we win!?

Having the 30th ranked running game and one of the worst kickers in the league this year kind of makes life harder than it really has to be.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #3
Texans#1Fan
Rookie

I just hope we get rid of slaton. He can not hold onto the ball. Foster seems like the running back we need. We do have a good team and I think if they can fix the running problems and the field goals we will be a super bowl contender next year. But, it seems we keep on saying that every year don't we?
Texans#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans#1Fan View Post
I just hope we get rid of slaton. He can not hold onto the ball. Foster seems like the running back we need. We do have a good team and I think if they can fix the running problems and the field goals we will be a super bowl contender next year. But, it seems we keep on saying that every year don't we?
Nah, I wouldn't get rid of Slaton. He still has some juice in him. I would try and work on the O line and see if we can open up some room for both he and Foster.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #5
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting rid of Slaton would be a huge mistake, at least this early. I'm sure he'll bounce back from his mediocre sophomore season.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #6
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Get rid of Slaton? For all the fumbling he had (which is a fixable problem) he still had 7 total touchdowns (3 rushing 4 recieving). When the ball is in slatons hands in space it is absolutely dangerous for the opposing defense. He just has to get the fundamentals of ball security down...like all the other backs on our team honestly.

Imagine the combo next season. Slaton/Foster/BIGA** Back
Old 01-10-2010   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

notice the teams that are winning generally have:

-no choking kickers
-less turnovers
-good run games
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2010   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why the hell does Foster seem like the RB we need. I laughed and laughed after he had those two good games knowing that so many people including Kubiak would probably start acting as if he's going to be the guy for next year just because of two good games at the end of the season. Some people had that same line of thinking with Chris Taylor all because he had like one or two good games at the end of the year for the Texans a few years back in the same types of meaningless games. Kubes acted like he was this great prospect for the next season to where he didn't need to address the RB situation. I'll bet he does it again this off season to. Foster played very well, but two games is not near enough to know what the guy's capable of. No name RB's pop up and have big games at the end of the season for different teams every year when certain guys get hurt.

Now I'm not saying any of this as a knock on Foster either. Maybe he can be a very good back. He had a good start, that's for sure. I just don't think two games is enough to know and the Texans had better not ignore the RB situation again, just because some no name guy popped up with two good games in our last two games of the season. Foster could come back next season and be total trash for all we know. We still need to go after a good bruising back that can make plays. And you have got to be crazy to want to get rid of Slaton. He's a damn good play maker and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he came back next year and had a big season. If not, he'd still be a very good 3rd down back to have and he can be used in the passing game a lot.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Some people had that same line of thinking with Chris Taylor all because he had like one or two good games at the end of the year for the Texans a few years back in the same types of meaningless games.
BS on those last two games being meaningless. And some people act like they know what Taylor would have done if healthy which they don't. Dude blew a knee out. That could happen to Chris Johnson.
Old 01-10-2010   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
BS on those last two games being meaningless. And some people act like they know what Taylor would have done if healthy which they don't. Dude blew a knee out. That could happen to Chris Johnson.
Regardless of the fact, he had like one good game or two at the most. He hadn't done anything before that in the season. You don't just put your team's running game in the hands of an unknown who had a good game at the end of the season. I see RB's all the time pop up from being 3rd on the depth chart and having a big game, and then come back to reality. Then some guys end up rising from the ashes and become a good consistent runner for several years like Willie Parker did for the Steelers. Taylor hadn't done anything though before that though and he never looked like some majorly talented back either. The running game needs to be addressed on this team at some point in one of these off seasons. NO more picking up old veterans that have tons of miles on them and no more banking next season's hopes on guys that had a good game or two in weeks 16 and 17. Get a solid runner in between the tackles that can bang it in the RZ and also for depth since RB's get hurt so much these days. I'm really sick of the gambles Kubes makes with our running game. Fixing the running game and stacking the depth should be one of this team's main focuses for this off season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #11
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the SPCA had been called over this horse being beat this much.

(animated gif especially for GP)
Old 01-10-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

We could win but we don't. Why don't we? We just don't even though the big picture is in place to do so or close to it. You feeling me?
Old 01-10-2010   #13
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why the hell does Foster seem like the RB we need. I laughed and laughed after he had those two good games knowing that so many people including Kubiak would probably start acting as if he's going to be the guy for next year just because of two good games at the end of the season. Some people had that same line of thinking with Chris Taylor all because he had like one or two good games at the end of the year for the Texans a few years back in the same types of meaningless games. Kubes acted like he was this great prospect for the next season to where he didn't need to address the RB situation. I'll bet he does it again this off season to. Foster played very well, but two games is not near enough to know what the guy's capable of. No name RB's pop up and have big games at the end of the season for different teams every year when certain guys get hurt.

Now I'm not saying any of this as a knock on Foster either. Maybe he can be a very good back. He had a good start, that's for sure. I just don't think two games is enough to know and the Texans had better not ignore the RB situation again, just because some no name guy popped up with two good games in our last two games of the season. Foster could come back next season and be total trash for all we know. We still need to go after a good bruising back that can make plays. And you have got to be crazy to want to get rid of Slaton. He's a damn good play maker and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he came back next year and had a big season. If not, he'd still be a very good 3rd down back to have and he can be used in the passing game a lot.
I agree with above. I would not get rid of Slaton now, but I think they really need to watch Slaton early to see what they have. I hope the Texans don't feel that they are set with Slaton and Foster next year. Foster could possibly be a capable backup, but there is no telling what Slaton will be next year. At BEST he should be counted as what he was originally drafted as a 3rd down change of pace back. I like Ryan but he is too small as you could plainly see when they platooned Foster and Moats. Chris better not be taking up a rooster spot. Bottom line is the Texans better not sit tight like they did last year. Those actions last year really troubled me because it showed that the organization really had no idea about their own talent at RB. I don't want to hear Kubiak talk about how poor he running attack is next year and how it all revolves around the run game. If true then do something about it.

Texans WEAK in pass rush. Really both lines are average at best. The defensive line is the most disappointing because we have used high round draft choices and still have close to nothing. I know we have Mario but he is over rated. Until Texans improve in D line you can chalk up losses to Indy.

Coaching philosophy. For instance, if this staff coached track , and they jumped out to a lead, they would slow down until the other runner caught up. In the NFL talent level is close and EVERY game is tough and EVERY game is important, not just the ones in December.
The whole coaching mentality is everything is OK until it is critical or already over. Maybe they just can't anticipate the problem or see the problems before they are actually in trouble. Now that thought is scary.

That said unless they could have gotten Cowher I am glad Kubiak is still here. I just hope he learned from his many mistakes this year.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

did anyone else notice or was it just me the play where Ahman Green leaped over the top for two yards & a first down tonight for Green Bay vs Arizona then think to themselves why couldn't he have at least done that for Texans? Do y'all realize the Texans spent 23 million on a four year contract to sign Ahman Green all for what? so they don't use a 1st pick on a RB? from such hypocrisy mediocrity is bourne
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #15
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Terrible assessment of Slaton. You must have a really short memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Having the 30th ranked running game and one of the worst kickers in the league this year kind of makes life harder than it really has to be.
This is the answer. Thread's over, let's move along to the next.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #16
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

They didn't win because they don't have "THAT" running back, one who can carry the team at times if needed. Slaton needs help. Look at the teams who made the playoffs:

Colts: Joseph Addai
Ravens: Ray Rice, Willis McGahee
Chargers: LT, Darren Sproles
Jets: Thomas Jones
Vikings: Adrian Peterson
Cowboys: Marion Barber, Felix Jones
Patriots: Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk
Cardinals: Beanie Wells

I think someone like CJ Spiller would work wonders for the Texans
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
They didn't win because they don't have "THAT" running back, one who can carry the team at times if needed. Slaton needs help. Look at the teams who made the playoffs:

Colts: Joseph Addai
Ravens: Ray Rice, Willis McGahee
Chargers: LT, Darren Sproles
Jets: Thomas Jones
Vikings: Adrian Peterson
Cowboys: Marion Barber, Felix Jones
Patriots: Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk
Cardinals: Beanie Wells

I think someone like CJ Spiller would work wonders for the Texans
Add Shonn Green to the Jets, Chester Taylor to the Vikings, Tashard Choice to the Cowboys, Morris to the Patriots, and Hightower to the Cardinals. Maybe Brown for the Colts.

Almost all of those teams have at least 2 good backs. And that's what we need.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #18
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree if the texans add a 1st rate running back with steve slaton & foster as the 3rd running back now we have something working. The interior offensive line has to be addressed in the off season either in free agency or the draft as well.
Old 01-11-2010   #19
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first year I've watched a playoff game and really felt that not only should we be there instead of someone who is, but that we could be winning games as well.
Old 01-11-2010   #20
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 38 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They don't need to get rid of Slaton, they just need to utilize him correctly as a 3rd down back. That's what he was drafted for in the first place. I think they'll get a stud everydown RB either in FA or draft and Slaton will emerge as one of the best 3rd down backs in the league.

Bill Shankly
DeMarCushPoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read