Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-01-2005   #1
J-Man
Veteran

Default Matt Jones...TE in the making?

Folks I just wanted to throw this on the table...Matt Jones, TE, Houston Texans.

Jones had a great Senior Bowl as a pass catcher and clocked a 4.39 40 time at the combine and he is listed at 242lbs. I think he might be a big time steal in the 2nd or 3rd round. He could project to us as an TE/H-Back or slot receiver, pack 10lbs on him and as long as he chip and work double team blocks he could be an excellent addition to the offense.

His is another type of Tweener, add 10lbs and he's a TE, drop 10lbs and he's is an animal of a slot guy. The more I see of him the more intrested I am in his ability to contribute to our team. The added bonus of being a QB for the majority of his HS and college career could open up several other options for the offense (I'm thinkng of him as a blue collar "Slash").

Your thoughts guys?

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #2
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 31526 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see Matt Jones be drafted by the Texans.

Granted, it will take him one or two seasons to fully integrate into his role, much like Ward and Randle El, but if this guy pans out, he will be a beast.

However, I would rather see him be drafted by the Falcons..... now THAT'S excitement!
gg no re is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #3
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

I dont think he will play TE, he will be a WR.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #4
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCt3rJ
I dont think he will play TE, he will be a WR.
Most coaches and scouts would disagree. Especially the ones that chose to practice him at TE in the senior bowl
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see him as a TE either. He will get used trying to block down linemen.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I still have nightmares from his big game against the Horns in 2003. I had seats in the front row of the upper deck right at the 50-yard-line for that debacle.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Most coaches and scouts would disagree. Especially the ones that chose to practice him at TE in the senior bowl
Mike Williams 6' 4" 230 lbs 4.6 40 yd
Matt Jones 6' 6" 237 lbs 4.39 40 yd

Hmm, obviously one of these will be a stellar WR and one will have to play TE.

Don't think either of these guys is particularly suited to participating as a conventional TE any time soon--learning to block DE's ain't that easy, ask Billy Miller. If a team has an OL that doesn't regularly need the assistance of the TE's then either of these guys could be big contributors but that really is just a label attached to where they line up at that point.
Old 03-01-2005   #8
DBLR1
Rookie

I would love to have that talent on our team. If he was still available in the middle rounds we better scoop him up. I would go to say best available in the first, Baas if still around in the second, and Matt asap. I watched that Horns game too and I was screaming at this guy, I freaking hated his guts. It'd be nice to have him on our side that is for sure.
DBLR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 177966 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot I had a mock on a thread about a month ago it was

1 Spears
2 Baas
3 M. Patterson
3b L. Mitchell
4 M. Jones

At that time I thought it was reasonable now I'm thinking no way these players are there .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

he is rough.. as a WR he runs sloppy routes and im not sure about his hands.

Id like to see what he can do as an RB. with that size and speed.. if he can break tackles he could be awesome.

I would not be against grabbing him and turning him into a project.. at TE, RB, or WR.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

This guys natural position would probably be as a TailBack in the Single Wing,
but they don't run the SW much anymore so thats out. Another idea might be the decathelon, but of course that's Track not football. And one is not born a blocker, it is an acquired skill - he'd have to get that down to play TE.
I dunno,he is a football player and competitor by all accounts and he's certainly an athlete - we got 2 third round picks but it sounds like he won't last that long.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Blocking takes more than instruction. Some people can do it and some can't and it takes some physical ability. It's not like Billy Miller is any better a blocker after 3 years of trying desperately to improve. To just assume he will turn into a good blocker with proper coaching is a stretch.

Old 03-01-2005   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 177966 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot Matt Jones is a weapon . You bring him on the field and think of all the things that can happen . A corner has to play off him because he can run . Carr does one those quick passes except Jones takes three steps back and now is behind him .He has AJ steaking downfield from the other sideline . The point is the defense has to account for him and what he might do .
Old 03-01-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Jones is fast but not that quick. It takes a few strides to get up to speed. I think that hampers the scenarios you paint. The bottom line with him is that he is going to be a project in the Pros. Some team without an immediate need will likely take him.

Old 03-01-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see the Pats taking him. They have no huge needs and that kind of multipurpose talent is what they like.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Vinny when you run that fast and you're 6 ft 6 in. it presents problems . If he can adjust to the ball and go get it .
Old 03-01-2005   #17
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 31526 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Reminds me of when Glenn says he likes to be matched up against taller receivers, because his height disadvantage gives a better quickness.

I don't know if Jones has the vertical to take advantage of his height.... "White men can't jump."

Oh well, let's not forget..... if Jones does turn out to be a beast, there is always Vince Young for those who want a second chance.....
gg no re is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #18
arktexanfan
Rookie

Thumbs up A closer Look at Matt Jones

I think the Texans need to take a closer look at Matt Jones this man is a triple threat , he can run, throw, and catch the ball plus he is fast for 6'6" and 248lbs fastest time in the 40 for a QB ever at the combine and he outran some of the best RB's at the combine plus some of the WR's . If he is still around at the Texans pick I think they sure need to get him. any comments on this ?
arktexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #19
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there is a difference between just running fast and playing football. Matt Jones may run fast, but I doubt he'll be able to play receiver or running back. There is more to those positions than just running. There is the little issue of knowing how to play those positions. I don't think in the NFL a guy like Matt Jones can simply be successful by running fast. He has to have the right technique and stuff to switch to those positions. I'm not saying he can't do it, but how many QB's in college have made the successful transition to receiver and running back. There are a few like Randle-El, but more often than not they're not successful. And I think the Texans cannot afford to take risks like this.
Old 03-03-2005   #20
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

There's Ward, Randle El, Drew Bennett, Cordell Stewart (if u want to count the years he played as "Slash"), and probably a few more, but that's all I can think off of the top of my head. I'm of the mindset that a football player is a football player, and I think Matt Jones will find his niche in the NFL. Be it at either TE or WR or whatever. If you've got talent and you're a football player the NFL will find a place for you.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read