Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2005   #41
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I really didnt think we would pay that much for him. I wonder what Williams will go for?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #42
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I really didnt think we would pay that much for him. I wonder what Williams will go for?
I didn't think so either, but I'm glad we re-signed him. Anyone think that our interest in Pat Williams might have been a bluff to see how Payne would react? Probably not very likely, but still interesting.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #43
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I didn't think so either, but I'm glad we re-signed him. Anyone think that our interest in Pat Williams might have been a bluff to see how Payne would react? Probably not very likely, but still interesting.
I was thinking the same thing. But I think the interest in Pat was genuine. We have to look out for #1 right?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #44
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, but since it's the offseason I can't help but inject some drama into the situation even though there wasn't much of any.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #45
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard about a lot of teams wanting help on their defensive line this year, which will definitely affect the "market price." The number for Payne initially caused me to gulp, but this may be one of those things similar to the Todd Wade deal last year--at first it seems like a lot, but it ends up being close to the going rate for that talent at that position.

I really do like the guy. PLEASE, PLEASE get (and stay) healthy!!!!
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #46
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to remember that more and more teams are going 3-4 and Seth's
a 3-4 Nose. Still, we paid a lot for a guy that has some real downside
because of reinjury to himself (or having a third, different injury for the third straight year!). That's my concern.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #47
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't understand why we keep paying extra for guys who aren't worth it? Walker was overpaid by a mile, and now Payne. . . I love Payne, but that just seems to much.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2005   #48
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne and Walker's deals are not in the same universe.

Look at it this way. Seth could suffer a career ending knee injury going to the bank tomorrow and it still won't cost as much on the cap as Gary Walker will two years from now when he becomes a cap casualty (with three years left on his deal) - if he lasts that long.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #49
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
I just don't understand why we keep paying extra for guys who aren't worth it? Walker was overpaid by a mile, and now Payne. . .
Exactly how I feel...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #50
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

It's not the salary that kills you on old-guy contracts, it's the signing bonus, because you can cut them whenever their cap number exceeds their production. 4.5 million signing bonus for 4 years means his amortization is only 1.13 million/year. That's not bad for someone who conceivably might play the whole contract out (he's 30, not 35 or anything like that)
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

resigning their own free agents is exactly what Casserly said the Texans would do and true to his word they have done a nice job keeping the team intact. now if they can come through on the promise to fix the offensive line and provide David some protection
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01
It's not the salary that kills you on old-guy contracts, it's the signing bonus, because you can cut them whenever their cap number exceeds their production. 4.5 million signing bonus for 4 years means his amortization is only 1.13 million/year. That's not bad for someone who conceivably might play the whole contract out (he's 30, not 35 or anything like that)
To reinforce sarg and aj, that is exactly right. This is a very modest signing bonus--less than Coleman got last year on a 3 year contract--and leaves the Texans free to cut Payne if his performance does not maintain a high level.
Old 03-02-2005   #53
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
resigning their own free agents is exactly what Casserly said the Texans would do and true to his word they have done a nice job keeping the team intact. now if they can come through on the promise to fix the offensive line and provide David some protection
I suspect/hope they pickup one or two O-line FAs. I would LOVE to see Mike Wahle (GB) in a Texans uni. Very solid gaurd. Seems like all of the top level centers have been scarfed up all ready so replacing McKinny with an experinced one may be out the window. Don't need any tackles IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read