Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2005   #21
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
I don't really see a big drop off at the position if we don't resign him. I think its time we go out and give somebody else the chance. I know I've heard talk about maybe Robairre moving to NT and then drafting Spears to take his spot, be there is some quality FA's at the position, Pat Williams is one of them.
Pat would require a huge contract and I think he'd want to go to a better team with him getting up their in the age now. Older players want to win the big SB.
Old 03-02-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne is on 610am right now and he is about to head out to see the Jets and the Browns (he said that Grantham made him a better player) and will visit a few other teams (missed it). He said that he should be fine by May 1st and won't miss camp or any of the preseason. He also said that his surgery is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. He doesn't sound like he is coming back when asked directly. He said he loves it here and there is a mutual respect but he he didn't sound too positive about a return.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #23
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well if he doesn't return i wish him the best of luck in his future team...we need to figure out whether or not we're going to sign a new NT or move walker or smith over and draft a new DE since there really isn't a strong NT in this years draft
Old 03-02-2005   #24
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

We have too much invested at the DE positions. I don't see us spending big bucks on Payne. He will go elsewhere. Time to get used to that idea.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #25
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
We have too much invested at the DE positions. I don't see us spending big bucks on Payne. He will go elsewhere. Time to get used to that idea.
Yup. We sealed our fate last year when we payed the big bucks to Walker (why oh why did we do that ? - worst mistake Cass has made since becoming a Houstonian. Well, either that or Hollings). Payne has now established a history of injuries in recent years and while he's not in the twilight of his carrer age wise, he can see it from where he's at as the saying goes. Givin the corner we are re retaining another veteran DL but with injury
issues - there's 31 other teams, long shot he returns cause somebody else will take a chance. But he's a class act - I hope he goes to someplace like
the Jets or Philly, gets a SB ring, and is voted to the PB for the annual Hawaii game all in the next 12 months.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #26
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I wish him the best. He is one good team player. If he were to get back to 02 form, pre injuries, he will be missed.
.. trying to picture him a Brownie.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #27
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that the injury is a huge issue with Seth. But it's a very scary thought, him not being here. Who are we gonna replace him with? I think he is our best option at this point, and it seems like playing with fire to me. I'm just gonna have to trust that the organization knows just what they are doing. Not questioning that at all, I just don't see alot of options for his replacement.
Old 03-02-2005   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm guessing the Texans & Payne have been in negoiations up till the F/A deadline (resigned Polk LB, Faggins CB & Ioane NT). its a buisness, Seth has exceeded expectations his entire career up until the last two, so maybe its time to part ways. I'm sure he thinks he can find a bigger pay-check in the open market, unless the Texans draft a NT look for Ioane to start earning that new contract.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #29
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
I think the Houston front office should look into signing Kendrick Clancy as Payne's replacement

My
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Who dat? LoL

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ead.php?t=6093

^^This was like one of my first post here, but I did a little piece on him a while back. He's young and doesn't have that much playing experience because he was the third NT on the depth chart behind Hampton and Hoke in Pittsburgh, but he has played in the 3-4 formation and he is a UFA that should not demand too much money.
Old 03-02-2005   #30
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

-- Cleveland to Host Payne --
Wed Mar 2, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports free agent DT Seth Payne (Houston) will visit the Cleveland Browns today.

-- Saints Interested in Payne --
Wed Mar 2, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports a ball-hawking free safety and veteran defensive tackle are high on the Saints free-agent wish list. The Saints have expressed interest in Houston DT Seth Payne, who played five seasons for New Orleans defensive line coach John Pease in Jacksonville from 1997 to 2001.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #31
Jonathan
Veteran

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2003271

As Houston moved closer to a deal with Bills defensive tackle Pat Williams to be their nose tackle, current Texans nose tackle Seth Payne got word of potentially losing his job and quickly signed a deal.

Payne, 30, agreed to a four-year, $16 million contract that includes a $4.5 million signing bonus. Payne battled a knee injury last year, but still started 12 games and played 53 percent of downs.

Payne played in the middle of a well-paid, three-man line that includes Robaire Smith and Gary Walker at ends.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #32
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Wow...I can't see ESPN from work, but if that's true....thats good news.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #33
AndreJ
All Pro

Texans making a run for Pat Williams? I like that, but he'll come @ a heavy price.
Old 03-02-2005   #34
Jonathan
Veteran

Quote:
Texans making a run for Pat Williams? I like that, but he'll come @ a heavy price.
Read it again. The Texans were moving closer to Williams but managed to resign Seth Payne instead.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #35
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Read it again. The Texans were moving closer to Williams but managed to resign Seth Payne instead.
O ok, thnx for the correction. I've just seen so many dif. things today. Ex: Seth Payne was in some other state working out a deal with another team. Thnx for the info though.
Old 03-02-2005   #36
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Never a doubt.
Old 03-02-2005   #37
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

glad we kept him

that takes care of things, whats next on the "to do" list?
Old 03-02-2005   #38
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

KPRC reporting we have worked out a deal with Payne.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #39
AndreJ
All Pro

I think that may decrease our chances of picking up Spears in the draft. I beleive G-Funk will be given a chance to redeem his poor performance he showed last year.

I'm clueless as to who the texans will go after.
Old 03-02-2005   #40
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that may decrease our chances of picking up Spears in the draft. I beleive G-Funk will be given a chance to redeem his poor performance he showed last year.

I'm clueless as to who the texans will go after.
Like you said, it only decreases our chances to get Spears. The Texans like to rotate their D-Line. So there is nothing wrong with having depth, and a rookie to learn.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read