Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2005   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Payne to Test FA

I was surprised to see that nobody has posted this so far. From this mornings Houston Chronicle:

Quote:
The free-agent market opens for business Wednesday, and while it remains to be seen if the Texans' biggest free agent will be an early buyer, he is prepared to do some window-shopping.

Discussions between the Texans and Ralph Cindrich, the agent for Seth Payne, have not produced a deal, and time is running out for the Texans' exclusive negotiating rights with the unrestricted free agent nose tackle.

The two sides have no contract talks scheduled between now and the start of the signing period, although neither has closed the door.

Packing his bags
"I think what probably will happen is he will go into free agency and make a couple of visits," Cindrich said. "He really likes playing in Houston, and he likes the people there, but at the same time, once you get into free agency, anything can happen."

Of the nine free agents the Texans lost during the past two offseasons, seven signed elsewhere by March 14.

In other words, things happen quickly once players are allowed to visit other teams. The Texans did manage to sign inside linebacker Jay Foreman and strong safety Eric Brown after the market opened in 2003.

In Payne's case, the Texans might have more time on their side. He is recovering from surgery to repair two hamstring tendons attached to his pelvis.

Payne, 30, who expects to make a full recovery, is encouraged by the fact that teammate Gary Walker suffered the same injury before the 2002 season and recovered well enough to cap the year with a trip to the Pro Bowl.

Texans coach Dom Capers always has praised Payne's determination in coming back from multiple knee surgeries in 2003 to play in all 16 games in 2004.

These aren't exactly the circumstances under which Payne hoped to enter free agency, but his camp is confident teams will be encouraged by his progress.

"He's way ahead of schedule, which anyone who knows Seth would expect," Cindrich said. "His prognosis is excellent to outstanding.

"Anytime you have anything that is less than 100 percent, it becomes an issue (in free agency), but it's safe to say anyone who has been associated with Seth in any capacity, on any team, is going to have an interest."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin, Lions defensive coordinator Dick Jauron and Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham have ties to Payne, and each team could use help on the defensive line.

Coughlin was Payne's head coach in Jacksonville. Jauron was one of three defensive coordinators with whom Payne worked in Jacksonville, and Grantham was the Texans' defensive line coach for the past three seasons.

Saints could be factor
League sources also said the Saints might have some interest in the eight-year veteran, whom the Texans acquired in the 2002 expansion draft.

The Texans already have $52.5 million, including guaranteed signing bonuses of just over $19 million, invested in Walker and defensive lineman Robaire Smith.

Jerry Deloach, who shared the nose tackle position with Payne during the first half of the 2004 season, is an unrestricted free agent. So is veteran reserve Corey Sears.

Junior Ioane, who has agreed to terms on a three-year contract, has experience at nose tackle.

Separately, the Texans have reached a one-year agreement with unrestricted free agent linebacker DeShon Polk at a base salary of $540,000.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

well.....

link to Polk thread
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

This would probably mean alot more to me if Seth hadnt been hurt so much these past couple years.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be interesting to see what he is worth in the marketplace. I suspect it will be in the 2 mill a year range. However, with teams switching to the 34 and needing NTs he might get a great offer.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
However, with teams switching to the 34 and needing NTs he might get a great offer.
That's the key point about this whole scenario that has me a little worried. Even last season there were several teams that were either converting/using the 3-4 or mixing it in with their base formation. Now you can add Dallas, Denver, and New Orleans all looking at changing to a 3-4. There will be plenty of interest in a 3-4 NT who's had experience and success in the 3-4. I really want to see Payne in a Texan uniform next season. If he leaves for another team it could be a long season for the Texans.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne hasn't done much in the last two years. If someone wants to offer him huge money then I'm fine with not resigning him. I'd rather see him leave than for us to over pay him and he give us what he has given us the last couple of years on the field. I know injuries are not his fault and he is a hard worker, but reality is he hasn't really been too productive the last two years.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #7
SESupergenius

Exactly. People can fall in love with his character but if he's not on the field then it does not good. Payne was a 4-3 tackle before switching to a NT in the 3-4, there will be plenty of guys that can do the same.
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2005   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans resign him to big money it's going to be really big trouble down the road. You'll have 2 potential Gary Walkers then. Players on the downslide with big contracts.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #9
Negative Jesus
Rookie

I just don't want to put too much into Payne . He is a good guy and all but the injury thing has me worried . Just let him test the market and see what hes worth and then make him an offer , just don't go throwing big money at him right away .

Superjoint Ritual
Negative Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #10
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Payne needs to go unless he comes in at a reduced rate. He is already on the wrong side of 30 coming off a major injury, why not look for someone younger.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Payne hasn't done much in the last two years. If someone wants to offer him huge money then I'm fine with not resigning him. I'd rather see him leave than for us to over pay him and he give us what he has given us the last couple of years on the field. I know injuries are not his fault and he is a hard worker, but reality is he hasn't really been too productive the last two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Exactly. People can fall in love with his character but if he's not on the field then it does not good. Payne was a 4-3 tackle before switching to a NT in the 3-4, there will be plenty of guys that can do the same.
True, but the devil is in the detail. What amount of money is too much at this point? My guess has been he would be resigned for about $2.5 mil a year. I want to see him back but if some team wants to throw $4 mil+ a year at him then good for you Seth Payne have fun with them. BUT, while it is true 4-3 tackles can and do convert to 3-4 NT's, who specifically is available to replace him. DeLoach, Sears and Ioane all do a solid job as rotation/back-up, but there is a very noticeable drop off from Payne even last year while Payne was recovering from his knee surgeries. Kendrick Clancy has experience but he was waived by the Steelers until being brought back when Casey Hampton went down. So who FA or draft could really be expected to step in as the presumptive starter with the expectation of doing as well as or better than Payne? Draftniks please do not just list every college hopeful over 310 lbs and say they will be better.
Old 03-01-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

hes a good DT.. but with his injuries and his age..and our cap situation, we cant afford to pay him the big bucks.

Judging by that article.. and the comments like "Walker came back from the same injury in 2002 and went to the pro bowl".. id say it sounds like Payne thinks he is gonna be just fine and playing as well as he always has.. so he probably expects the same pay. While Casserly and Co. probably feel that he has been too inconsistent and suffered alot of injuries, and want to sign him for less so that we dont end up in another bosselli situation.

I have a feeling.. with all the teams changing a 3-4 this season.. that someone out there is going to offer Payne more than we are willing to.. and he will be leaving us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #13
SESupergenius

There are a lot of tactics that go along with Free Agency. The agent representatives are trying like mad to sell their product, the athlete. You are going to see all kinds of hype and stuff at this time, and Payne should be no different. Payne played a lot last but didn't look as good as he did in previous years, uh when he played. I can't see us shelling out more than 3 million a year for him. A 3 year 9 Million dollar deal with an incentive based bonus is fine with me, but I'm sure that he will be asking a good chuck of the guaranteed bonus. Our options at NT are limited and I'm sure the agent is aware of that. And yes with so many teams switching to the 3-4 a NT will be in demand. I don't see any major DT's other than Williams in this free agency so I would try and resign Payne but go after either HArtwell or Bell as my big free agent acquistion.
Old 03-01-2005   #14
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

As of right now we have only two starting and a back-up D-linemen on the roster. I don't see us signing Payne, DeLoach or Sears. We might sign about two back-up D-linemen from FA but I don't see anyone available who might be better than Sears or DeLoach. Regarding our starting NT, I don't know if there is anyway to go other than the draft. So in the end, I think that we may very well have a worse DL than last season. But I certainly hope that I'm very wrong. Please correct me if I am!
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #15
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

that kind of sounds depressing...i want our Dline to be alot better than last season.

it all starts with the Dline to free up LBs to make plays and put pressure on the QB. then that lets our DBs take a few chances and cause some turnovers.

honestly id like to see payne back but maybe find someone who he can rotate with more often, maybe a cheap vet backup or rookie to maybe learn the position and to groom - not really sure who else he can rotate more with though. but im fairly confident he can recover and be a dominant force on the line again.

just dont overpay !
Old 03-01-2005   #16
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

I think the Houston front office should look into signing Kendrick Clancy as Payne's replacement

My
Old 03-01-2005   #17
texansfan88
All Pro

I think the houston front office should look to sign any of the remaining 12 free agents that will not be Texans in about 80 minutes...
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #18
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
I think the houston front office should look to sign any of the remaining 12 free agents that will not be Texans in about 80 minutes...
If we have another midnight signing like we did with Posey I'm not going to have a restful sleep tonight.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #19
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
I think the Houston front office should look into signing Kendrick Clancy as Payne's replacement

My
Who dat? LoL
Old 03-01-2005   #20
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

I don't really see a big drop off at the position if we don't resign him. I think its time we go out and give somebody else the chance. I know I've heard talk about maybe Robairre moving to NT and then drafting Spears to take his spot, be there is some quality FA's at the position, Pat Williams is one of them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read