Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Whose your scapegoat?
Kris Brown 90 81.08%
Chris Brown 14 12.61%
Chris Myers 2 1.80%
Amobi Okoye 1 0.90%
Dunta Robinson 4 3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2010   #41
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team Scapegoat: Whose it for you?

I can't really bring myself to get mad at Chris Brown. Its not his own fault that he sucks and his coach keeps throwing him out their in big situations.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #42
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
This said we need to bring in a kicker to push KB in camp.
KB in camp? Cut this guy and move on. What could Brown replicate in camp that would alleviate concerns about clutch kicks? Sign a vet kicker and maybe a rookie, and let them kick it out. Brown has to be out.
Old 01-10-2010   #43
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
KB in camp? Cut this guy and move on. What could Brown replicate in camp that would alleviate concerns about clutch kicks? Sign a vet kicker and maybe a rookie, and let them kick it out. Brown has to be out.
Believe me I wouldn't fight it if he was cut but I'm just saying kickers are very streaky and its completely possible he could remake himself and become the kicker he was 2 years ago.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #44
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak. He's the one that put those goats on the field.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #45
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Kickers are a dime a dozen to every other NFL team. When a guy loses his mojo, they cut him and pick up another guy that lost his mojo somewhere else.

9 out of 10 times, said kicker finds his rhythm again in a new location.

I have no idea why the Texans can't treat kickers like every other team does.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #46
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to blame CHRIS Brown because the guy shouldn't have even been on the team.

This team's inability to close games was the major issue this season. What caused that? A defensive play here, a pick 6 there, a missed field goal everywhere. Lots of things contributed.

Or what about their Jeckyll & Hyde play from half to half? Who's to blame for that? You might not have been in those last second game tying FG situations had you had more consistant play throughout the WHOLE game.

To pick one person though, I would have to go KRIS Brown. He's like a closer in baseball who had a bad year. If a closer has a bad year, he's blowing games you should have won. Yes, I know Brown's missed FG's wouldn't have won those games, but had he made them they're not automatically losses either.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Kickers are a dime a dozen to every other NFL team. When a guy loses his mojo, they cut him and pick up another guy that lost his mojo somewhere else.

Did you see that big ole hug McNair & KBrown shared after our week 17 win?

May not mean anything, but McNair is big on high character guys.

I understand this is a business, & I understand how the rest of the league handles these situations.

But maybe McNair wants his organization run differently. You said yourself, they usually end up finding their rhythm again. What is it about another team that helps that? The fear of losing your job? Maybe.. of being out of the NFL? maybe. But that can't be the only way to get KBrown back to his 2008 form.
Old 01-10-2010   #48
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
CHKris Brown.
Ditto

It's McNair/Kubes fault that these two Brown turds are still on the team.

They are the reason we aren't watching the Texans in the playoffs this weekend.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 01-10-2010 at 01:18 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Because Bob McNair owns this team.

He has his favorites.

Winning be damned
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #50
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Yeah I saw it. It spoke volumes. Looks like he has the same attachment to Kris Brown that he had to David Carr.

Quote:
I understand this is a business, & I understand how the rest of the league handles these situations.

But maybe McNair wants his organization run differently. You said yourself, they usually end up finding their rhythm again. What is it about another team that helps that? The fear of losing your job? Maybe.. of being out of the NFL? maybe. But that can't be the only way to get KBrown back to his 2008 form.
I think it's a pressure thing. The guy had more riding on his kicks this year than any other year. And he folded again and again.

I think we should just get a kid like Hunter Lawrence from UT. We need a kicker that shows he can split the uprights when a big game is on the line. Kris Brown has shown that he can't handle the pressure of a big game.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #51
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I saw it. It spoke volumes. Looks like he has the same attachment to Kris Brown that he had to David Carr.

I think it's a pressure thing. The guy had more riding on his kicks this year than any other year. And he folded again and again.

I think we should just get a kid like Hunter Lawrence from UT. We need a kicker that shows he can split the uprights when a big game is on the line. Kris Brown has shown that he can't handle the pressure of a big game.
I saw the McNair hug, and it made me furious. I meant that Kris Brown will likely be our kicker next year.

I'm not a fan of the bring-someone-in-to-compete-with-him strategy. If we do bring another kicker in, it'll be a sham, and Kris will get the job regardless, because the coaches like him.

Kris is a good guy, but, we need to outright release him. As you said, he clearly can't handle pressure games, and next year every single second of every single game will be important.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #52
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I saw the McNair hug, and it made me furious. I meant that Kris Brown will likely be our kicker next year.

I'm not a fan of the bring-someone-in-to-compete-with-him strategy. If we do bring another kicker in, it'll be a sham, and Kris will get the job regardless, because the coaches like him.

Kris is a good guy, but, we need to outright release him. As you said, he clearly can't handle pressure games, and next year every single second of every single game will be important.
I'm not so sure that KB is a shoe in for next year. Kubiak's job is clearly on the line next year, and any fool could see that KB sucked this year. If Kubiak is dumb enough not to upgrade a position of need like that, especially with his job in jeopardy, then Kubes will be out of here at the end of next year.

Hopefully this pressure will make Kubiak explore other options.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #53
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thunder, come on. You can't be serious. You make it seem as if cutting a kicker when they don't perform in key situations - which is what every other team does - is bad business, and that the correct way is to let the kicker figure things out, even as we lose games.

No way. We don't have time for Kris Brown to see a shrink and work out all of his issues. He's a great guy, and i like him a lot, but we just don't have the time. There is too much at stake.

He appeared to do well when when we were The Little Expansion Team That Could. But, we are a no-joke, up-and-coming franchise, and going forward from here EVERY SINGLE SEASON will be important.

Last edited by houstonspartan; 01-10-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2010   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Thunder, come on. You can't be serious. You make it seem as if cutting a kicker when they don't perform in key situations - which is what every other team does - is bad business, and that the correct way is to let the kicker figure things out, even as we lose games.
That's not what I'm saying at all.... Kris Brown is still here, I'm saying maybe that's the way McNair sees it.

I'd have let him go, no question about it after that Monday Night game, when he missed two kicks, & we lost by 3.
Old 01-10-2010   #55
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Id say Chris Brown because at least Kris Brown had a track record of being good with us.

Every time Chris Brown was on the field you just waited for something bad to happen and it usually did.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #56
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's not what I'm saying at all.... Kris Brown is still here, I'm saying maybe that's the way McNair sees it.

I'd have let him go, no question about it after that Monday Night game, when he missed two kicks, & we lost by 3.
Hold up. We did lose that game by three points, didn't we? Damn. I had forgotten about that. I think that loss was so devastating that I mentally blocked out the details. lol.

Say what you want about Jerry Jones, but, they cut their kicker near the end of the season. Baltimore did the same thing. Both teams knew they were in a possible playoff hunt.

Kickers are so important to a team it's not even funny.
Old 01-10-2010   #57
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Why is Amobi on this list?
I'm with ya, my fellow Vikings fan!
Old 01-10-2010   #58
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I can't really bring myself to get mad at Chris Brown. Its not his own fault that he sucks and his coach keeps throwing him out their in big situations.
I agree 100% with above. Kubiak is the PROBLEM this year. You really have to question his sanity when you consider how much he used Chis Brown, especially when he did not bring Foster in until the end. With nobody on the field I think Brown would be doing good to get 10 yards before he fell down on his own. The major problem is how Kubiak and the WHOLE coaching staff misjudged the condition of our running backs during the off season. I am the one that started thread during draft " I want a running back". I stated Slaton was drafted to be a 3rd down back and that we got lucky and got more out of him the first season, but we still needed a REAL RB. We had a chance to get BENSON but just did a half ass job of trying to sign. Kubiak should be fired before the season starts if Chris Brown takes up a rooster spot. Foster is OK for a 2nd back. Slaton is an unknown. I think he has problems we don't know about. Look at history in college. Started as freshman and then was 2nd string. Moats, love the guy but he is too small. Was very evident in last couple of games when you saw Foster and Moats platooning.

If you want another problem it is our ability to put pressure on the QB. I called out Mario early in the year and got crucified. I don't care that he got in the pro bowl he still drags ass half the time. He is not an instictive driven player. He really could be something if he ever gave it his all. I am afraid though you are born with that.

Another problem and the one that may/will cost us games is the way the coaching staff calls the game. If we were in a race, this staff would slow down if we were ahead and only would run as hard as they could if they were behind. The talent level in the NFL is too close to not try your hardest all the time.

Another thing why the HELL does Kubiak wait until the last four games before he gives he speech about how much football means to him. Oh yeah that's because he doesn't understand that you need that effort for all the season every game, not just when it is practically over.

I hope Kubiak understands EVERY GAME IS IMPORTANT. Last year was our best opportunity to make the playoffs. Next year is going to be much harder.
If improvements are not made in coaching staff philosophy/thinking/intensity we will be screaming about the coaches and why the hell did we give Kubiak an extension by the 4th game of the season.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by gafftop; 01-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #59
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Team Scapegoat: Whose it for you?
Kubiak. The man cost us three games.
Old 01-10-2010   #60
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
I agree 100% with above. Kubiak is the PROBLEM this year. You really have to question his sanity when you consider how much he used Chis Brown, especially when he did not bring Foster in until the end. With nobody on the field I think Brown would be doing good to get 10 yards before he fell down on his own. The major problem is how Kubiak and the WHOLE coaching staff misjudged the condition of our running backs during the off season. I am the one that started thread during draft " I want a running back". I stated Slaton was drafted to be a 3rd down back and that we got lucky and got more out of him the first season, but we still needed a REAL RB. We had a chance to get BENSON but just did a half ass job of trying to sign. Kubiak should be fired before the season starts if Chris Brown takes us a rooster spot. Foster is OK for a 2nd back. Slaton is an unknown. I think he has problems we don't know about. Look at history in college. Started as freshman and then was 2nd string. Moats, love the guy but he is too small. Was very evident in last couple of games when you saw Foster and Moats platooning.

If you want another problem it is our ability to put pressure on the QB. I called out Mario early in the year and got crucified. I don't care that he got in the pro bowl he still drags ass half the time. He is not an instictive driven player. He really could be something if he ever gave it his all. I am afraid though you are born with that.

Another problem and the one that may/will cost us games is the way the coaching staff calls the game. If we were in a race, this staff would slow down if we were ahead and only would run as hard as they could if they were behind. The talent level in the NFL is too close to not try your hardest all the time.

Another thing why the HELL does Kubiak wait until the last four games before he gives he speech about how much football means to him. Oh yeah that's because he doesn't understand that you need that effort for all the season every game, not just when it is practically over.

I hope Kubiak understands EVERY GAME IS IMPORTANT. Last year was our best opportunity to make the playoffs. Next year is going to be much harder.
If improvements are not made in coaching staff philosophy/thinking/intensity we will be screaming about the coaches and why the hell did we give Kubiak an extension by the 4th game of the season.

Just my opinion.
Great points all around. Kubiak's week 14 speech was ridiculus. So he FINALLY waits until his back is against the wall to try and inspire his players?

This is why a fast start in the NFL is very important. You start out fast, roll off some wins early and get some momentum. That way, later on in the season, when the injuries start to occur, a loss or two won't kill you. Every year the Texans stumble for 10 games then come out kicking butt. Too late, Jake.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read