Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Whose your scapegoat?
Kris Brown 90 81.08%
Chris Brown 14 12.61%
Chris Myers 2 1.80%
Amobi Okoye 1 0.90%
Dunta Robinson 4 3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2010   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team Scapegoat: Whose it for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
With the 34 points on the board that Kris Brown missed we jump up into the top 10 in scoring going from 388 points to 422.
No kicker makes every kick. It's the clutch kicks he missed that hurt.

I think Kris Brown is the scapegoat. He missed clutch kicks that could have tied games versus the Colts & Titans. Tied, not won. He was in those positions because the Texans offense had trouble scoring in those games. Had the offense took care of business (like an elite offense should), Brown should have not been in those spots.

Not that I am defending Kris Brown. It's time for him to move on. It's to the point where no one wants to watch his field goals attempts, not just Kubiak. But when a team is in the position where the kicker has to make every kick (or every clutch kick), there was a lot of failures elsewhere.
Old 01-10-2010   #22
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Because he wrote "Pay me Rick" on his shoes.
And we should blame that on a playoffless season? A little petty?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #23
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

"K". But I predict he'll be back after winning out in camp and be rock solid next year.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #24
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
"K". But I predict he'll be back after winning out in camp and be rock solid next year.
This wouldn't surprise me
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #25
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected

The obvious answer is Kris Brown. He failed to do his job, and every failure cost points. The Texans overcame his problems in some games -- like against the Patriots -- but in a close game against a good team one bad play can mean the difference between a win and a loss. Kris Brown made that bad play too often -- often enough to be responsible for the Texans' failure to make it to the playoffs.

For me, Dunta Robinson is a close second. He purposefully skipped camp and therefore contributed less early in the season, helping the Texans to lose early games that could have gotten them to the playoffs. Of all of the Texans -- including Kris Brown and Chris Brown -- Robinson is the only one who didn't bother to give the team his best effort this year. I don't know if having him ready at the start of the season would have made a difference, but I know they were close and I know he didn't do his part at the beginning.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
This wouldn't surprise me
Really? Upon what do you base this prediction on?

Since KB's career average is 77.3%, which puts him solidly in the bottom 25% of all NFL kickers, and he's failed to even hit that lowly average 6 of the past nine seasons, I'm going to predict that one of two things happen - either he loses his job, or the Texans lose games again next year because of him.
Old 01-10-2010   #27
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the most accurate forms of research - a hunch.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2010   #28
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
One of the most accurate forms of research - a hunch.
Funny. That's what caused me to start checking numbers on the bum in the first place.
Old 01-10-2010   #29
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Eriadoc's sig. explains it all for me. PLEASE get some competition for K. Brown and, if it's even close, let alone the other guy does better, replace K. Brown.

By the way, I intend to copy that sig.

I have to give a lot of the blame to Slaton as well, considering the incredible drop-off in positive production. Maybe it's because he was asked to gain weight and did. Maybe it's because he will never be consistent from one year to the next. Maybe his rookie season was a bad RB having the year of his life. I hope that between him and Foster, somebody is ON next year....and we have the other one ON too, or a new one that is. This team seriously needs to always have at least one having a good year....and not somebody that plays very little like Foster and finally gets noticed for his YPC in the last few games of the year. Obviously, Foster should have been getting in games a lot more and a lot sooner. That ones on Kubiak. Won't hurt Foster's career, but it has hurt the team this year.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #30
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Second half playcalling while in the the lead.
Old 01-10-2010   #31
Blazin' Toro
The Underdog

Rep Power: 87 Blazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazin' Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Blazin' Toro

Kris Brown was a great kicker when he first started on the team but as he's gotten older, especially this year it seems he has lost the ability to that one thing his job requires of him to do...kick field goals. I say we either draft a kicker or pick someone up off free agency.
Old 01-10-2010   #32
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for Kris Brown, but he doesn't deserve all the credit for us not being in the playoffs. That's pretty much shared by a lot of players and coachs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #33
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Why is Amobi on this list? He didn't play like Warren Sapp but he wasn't horrible either.
Kidding right? While he had his best year yet, these are still average numbers at best. He's still at least a year behind in his development. Particularly, when you consider he was the 10th overall pick.

Problem is, he's still not the scapegoat on this team ~ all our fumbling tailbacks and K.Brown are easily the scapegoats.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's because Kris Brown is Frickin' Awesome!!!

Sorry. Wrong thread.
Old 01-10-2010   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Kris Brown is the scapegoat. He missed clutch kicks that could have tied games versus the Colts & Titans. Tied, not won.
Nope. Just can't see it that way on the Colts game. He wouldn't have been kicking to tie the Colts if he hadn't already missed a field goal which would have had them tied already. 6 points missed in a game decided by three is missing to win.

Quote:
He was in those positions because the Texans offense had trouble scoring in those games. Had the offense took care of business (like an elite offense should), Brown should have not been in those spots.

Not that I am defending Kris Brown. It's time for him to move on. It's to the point where no one wants to watch his field goals attempts, not just Kubiak. But when a team is in the position where the kicker has to make every kick (or every clutch kick), there was a lot of failures elsewhere.
Yeah there are failures elsewhere but that happens at every level. The team of the decade has 3 Super Bowl rings from winning off kicks. I find the notion that you should never need to rely on your kicker to be unrealistic. Heck the Patriots probably don't get to 2 or maybe all 3 of those Super Bowls without their kicker. Funny the team they kept out of the playoffs thought their kicker was an edge they needed.
Old 01-10-2010   #36
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 433 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

Kris Brown, as much as I like the guy, better not be on this team next year. If we want to be a playoff team, we need a clutch kicker.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #37
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nope. Just can't see it that way on the Colts game. He wouldn't have been kicking to tie the Colts if he hadn't already missed a field goal which would have had them tied already. 6 points missed in a game decided by three is missing to win.
Which Colts game are you talking about? I'm referring to at Indy in week 9, where Brown hooked a 42 yarder as time expired. The only other FG attempt Brown had in that game was a 56 yarder at the end of the 1st half (the only points the Texans put on the board in the 1st half). Which he hit. Had Brown not hit that low % attempt in the 2nd Quarter, that last second attempt would have never happened.

You may be referring to the MNF game, where Brown missed 2 49 yard attempts (including the game tying FG). But, if we're to expect Brown to hit every 49 yard attempt, you have to assume that Bironas should have nailed a 49 yarder he missed in the 4th Quarter.

Yes, a kicker that can be counted on is a good thing to have. Brown is no longer that commodity (if he ever was). But, the reason the Texans lost those two AFC South showdowns is due to their "elite" offense's inability to score TDs. That makes Kris Brown a scapegoat.
Old 01-10-2010   #38
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No kicker makes every kick. It's the clutch kicks he missed that hurt.

I think Kris Brown is the scapegoat. He missed clutch kicks that could have tied games versus the Colts & Titans. Tied, not won. He was in those positions because the Texans offense had trouble scoring in those games. Had the offense took care of business (like an elite offense should), Brown should have not been in those spots.

He missed two fgs vs the Tits, thats a win if he makes them. WHo knows what happens in Indy.
Old 01-10-2010   #39
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Really? Upon what do you base this prediction on?

Since KB's career average is 77.3%, which puts him solidly in the bottom 25% of all NFL kickers, and he's failed to even hit that lowly average 6 of the past nine seasons, I'm going to predict that one of two things happen - either he loses his job, or the Texans lose games again next year because of him.
Based on kickers failing in one place, getting cut and having immediate success elsewhere. I can just see us cutting him and him going elsewhere and having a great year. Kicking is a streaky business, sometimes it just takes a mental break to get a guy on track. This said we need to bring in a kicker to push KB in camp.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #40
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Kidding right? While he had his best year yet, these are still average numbers at best. He's still at least a year behind in his development. Particularly, when you consider he was the 10th overall pick.

Problem is, he's still not the scapegoat on this team ~ all our fumbling tailbacks and K.Brown are easily the scapegoats.
That's pretty much what I said... No... he is not Warren Sapp but he isn't the worst DT in the league either. He is just an average joe in the NFL. He needs to improve alot but he is taking some steps.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read