Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-09-2010   #1
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Importance of a GM

After giving much thought to who is the most important person, the GM, the Head Coach, or the QB, to have a winning organization, I arrived at the opinion that it is the GM. For example, I offer the Indiannapolis Colts and how their fortunes changed with the arrival of Bill Polian, whom was already reknowned for his work with the Panthers and Bills organizations. Although some may say that the Colts are proof of the QB being the most important person to ensure a winning organization, since the turnaround in the Colts organization happened with Manning's arrival, it must be noted that it was Polian that drafted Manning, it was Polian that surrounded him with talented players, and it was Polian that hired his coaches. Bill Polian was hired following the Colts 1997 3-13 worst in the league finish. His first act as GM was to clear house, firing then Head Coach Lindy Infante, releasing QB Jim Harbaugh, and hiring Head Coach Jim Mora, Sr. Under Mora, and with rookie QB Peyton Manning the Colts went 3-13 again. Then, before the 1999 Draft, he traded Marshall Faulk to the Rams, recieving a 2nd(Mike Peterson MLB) and 5th(Brad Scioli DE) for him, and then drafted Edgerrin James with their 1st Round pick. The following season the Colts went 13-3 and have won 10 or more games in every season since then, except for in 2001 in Jim Mora, Sr.'s final year, when they went 6-10. Fast-forward to today, the Colts are 14-2 for the second time under Polian, and the 7th consecutive season with 12 or more wins, with the 3rd Head Coach during the Polian regime.

Polian's totals: 12 years, 131-61 W/L Record, 1 SuperBowl victory, 7 Division Titles, 10 Playoff Appearances
Old 01-09-2010   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Importance of a GM

See my sig. I'm a Rick Smith addict and I wont go to rehab. No, no, no.

First of all, you have to have a good owner. Someone who want's to win. NFL franchises make money no matter how futile the team is. Having an owner who really wants to win and is willing to pay for it is critical but you've got to be smart enough to know that you're the money guy not the football guy. You hire the football guy. You give him a title "GM" and you let him drive the ship. You just pay for the ship.

The best owners in the NFL are the ones who believe in consistency and treat the organization like a family. They don't make knee jerk decisions.

See the Houston Texans and Bob McNair.

But his GM is a stud.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #3
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
See my sig. I'm a Rick Smith addict and I wont go to rehab. No, no, no.

First of all, you have to have a good owner. Someone who want's to win. NFL franchises make money no matter how futile the team is. Having an owner who really wants to win and is willing to pay for it is critical but you've got to be smart enough to know that you're the money guy not the football guy. You hire the football guy. You give him a title "GM" and you let him drive the ship. You just pay for the ship.

The best owners in the NFL are the ones who believe in consistency and treat the organization like a family. They don't make knee jerk decisions.

See the Houston Texans and Bob McNair.

But his GM is a stud.
When I read that Gary was undecided about Cushing vs Matthews, while Rick Smith was pushing Cushing, I thought: "Of course."

We have one of the best GM's in all of sports.

Seriously.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget about the scouts and assistants who collect the information GM's use to make decisions.

Of course those people are hired by the owners/GMs so I guess the credit all goes back to them
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

In our case, the Head Coach hired the GM.

I think we have a 1a 1b situation, with Kubiak being 1b.
Old 01-09-2010   #6
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In our case, the Head Coach hired the GM.

I think we have a 1a 1b situation, with Kubiak being 1b.
Good lord, you just have to toss Kubiak in the conversation, don't you? LOL.

Well, 1b better get his shit together or 1a is going to fire his behind.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #7
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
After giving much thought to who is the most important person, the GM, the Head Coach, or the QB, to have a winning organization, I arrived at the opinion that it is the GM. For example, I offer the Indiannapolis Colts and how their fortunes changed with the arrival of Bill Polian, whom was already reknowned for his work with the Panthers and Bills organizations.
I agree whole heartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
When I read that Gary was undecided about Cushing vs Matthews, while Rick Smith was pushing Cushing, I thought: "Of course."

We have one of the best GM's in all of sports.

Seriously.
I think either Cushing or Matthews would have been a good choice due to the versatility of Zak Diles. Diles was our Sam last year and was one of the leading tacklers in the league before getting injured (66 tackles in 8 yames). Diles could have remained at Sam if we had drafted Clay Matthews.

Instead, he did what was best for the team and moved to Willie to make room for Cushing. While he didn't have a fantastic year like before, he had a pretty darn good one with 62 total tackles. Diles also excelled in pass coverage receiving a 6.4 Pro Football Focus rating (10th highest in the NFL).

Not too shabby for 1) coming off an injury & 2) a new position.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read