Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2010   #1
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1969 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans' Needs

Ok, I want to know what us fans think about acquisitions. We all have opinions on what the Texans needs are but this thread is about how we think we should go about filling them. From most threads it seems that we need:

Interior OL
Secondary
RB
DL

My question is which to do we pursue in free agency vs the draft (this year). My choices are

Interior Line--Draft
Secondary--Free Agency
DL-- Free Agency
RB--Draft

My only thing is do not contest another poster's thoughts, this is just to get a feel how us arm chair talent evaluators think. Also consider that we resign our key players that are due for new contracts. I'm goin to post this on multiple sites.
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Needs

I think a FS or CB most likly comes via draft. RB will be 2nd or 3rd round pick, WR/KR as well. I think we will go after at least one big FA, as we are at the point where one guy makes a difference.
Old 01-08-2010   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. OG - I'd address in FA and Draft (in 1st 3 rds) and look for a starter via both, particularly OG.
2. DT - Free Agency, find a proven veteran DT that can take on multiple blockers. Comes in and is a starter day 1.
3. CB - Draft, I'd look for a starting guy that can take over the #1 spot in the 1st or 2nd rd. Dunta may/may not be back and we'll need a starter.
4. FS - Draft, I look for one in the mid rounds. Probably go into the season with who we have starting unless the rookie performs really well.
5. RB - Draft and FA, I'm hopeful with the combo of Slaton/Foster. I bring in a FA to compete and draft one during the mid rds.

*Playmaker - Draft/FA, I also look for a guy that is explosive and can score at any given time. A WR/RB type that can create mismatches. Think Reggie Bush type.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
1. OG - I'd address in FA and Draft (in 1st 3 rds) and look for a starter via both, particularly OG.
2. DT - Free Agency, find a proven veteran DT that can take on multiple blockers. Comes in and is a starter day 1.
3. CB - Draft, I'd look for a starting guy that can take over the #1 spot in the 1st or 2nd rd. Dunta may/may not be back and we'll need a starter.
4. FS - Draft, I look for one in the mid rounds. Probably go into the season with who we have starting unless the rookie performs really well.
5. RB - Draft and FA, I'm hopeful with the combo of Slaton/Foster. I bring in a FA to compete and draft one during the mid rds.

*Playmaker - Draft/FA, I also look for a guy that is explosive and can score at any given time. A WR/RB type that can create mismatches. Think Reggie Bush type.
That guy should also return kicks. Ive seen Aircraft carriers withmore agility than Andre Davis.
Old 01-08-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of needs are dependant on if we're able to re-sign a few of our own players.

DB) It sounds like the staff is really high on Quin as a CB. I'd like to see him as a FS, but that's beside the point. So it depends on what happens with Dunta. Under Kubiak, we've never drafted a FS/SS on the first day so I don't think that'll change.

RB) From what I've gathered from Kubiak's PC's and interviews the past week, it sounds as if he's still uncertain with the RB position even with Foster's emergence. Wise choice! I still don't expect a RB until the 3rd at the earliest. No RB's in FA

DT) Considering it's going to be slim pickings in FA I expect DT to be one of our priorities in the draft. Are we going to count on Zgonina again? Hope not. Okam has been a failure as our big nasty and we need one in a bad way.

C/G) Another high priority, IMO. But, like the CB position, it's dependant on who stays and who goes. Pitts? Brisiel? Will Caldwell step up?

In the end, everyone knows I'm an "in the trenches" kind of guy, so if we re-sign our own I'd like to see DT's and Olinemen chosen or brought in via FA.
Old 01-08-2010   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

We need:

1. Interior o-line. Depending on what we do with Pitts, how the staff feels about Caldwell's development and his strongest position, and how they feel about Myers, would dictate which position on the interior. I personally feel that the staff is comfortable with Myers and Briesel at C and RG and will look to draft/sign someone to compete with Caldwell at LG.

2. Secondary. There's the fan favorite of moving Quin to FS. Problem is, depending on what happens with Dunta, that'd leave the cupboard bare at CB. There's myriad of question at the CB spot. Will Molden and/or Bennett be on the team next year? Will we sign, tag, trade, or let Dunta go? I think these questions negate the idea of moving Quin. Assuming that's true, we have Quin, Reeves, and McCain at CB for sure. We'll likely make more than one addition here next year. I'm putting my money on Dunta being back again next year, FTR. I also think we'll draft a S in the high rounds and sign a FA CB

3. DT. We all feel that a significant addition needs to be made at DT. I don't know if the FO feels that way, but I think there will be some changes made. I doubt they'll be of the Hampton/Wilfork caliber, but I think they'll be more significant than Shaun Cody.

4. RB. This is our most pressing need, IMO. I'm sure Moats and Brown are gone. That leaves us with Slaton and Foster. Foster looked good in weeks 16 and 17, and you can almost bank on an improvement from Slaton. That still doesn't negate the need, IMO. I think we add one through both FA and the draft. LT and Portis could both be looking for jobs, I'd love to have either. I'd also like to draft a back in the first two rounds, but we'll see how that goes.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Sign all our FAs so we don't have to replace them.

The problem with signing other folks FAs is they are, almost without exception, always overpaid for what their talent level is. That being said, I'd try and pick up some help on both sides of the line in free agency. Unless there is another Pollard out there somewhere, address the defensive secondary in the draft along with high pick used on a RB.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2010   #8
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see us pay too much money to a veteran player who has been a part of a winning team. I havn't really sifted through the names to pick someone out, but we need a guy like the Broncos picked up with Dawkins. I like the leadership that Pollard, Cushing and Ryans seem to bring, but a guy who can teach our kids how to win would make a world of difference.

Kubiak is still a relatively inexperienced coach. He could set himself up for a long stint with the Texans if he brings the right leaders in.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I would like to see us pay too much money to a veteran player who has been a part of a winning team. I havn't really sifted through the names to pick someone out, but we need a guy like the Broncos picked up with Dawkins. I like the leadership that Pollard, Cushing and Ryans seem to bring, but a guy who can teach our kids how to win would make a world of difference.

Kubiak is still a relatively inexperienced coach. He could set himself up for a long stint with the Texans if he brings the right leaders in.
Eugene Wilson has two SB rings. Antonio Smith just played in the SB.
Old 01-08-2010   #10
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

" For the love of God no more DE's"-STS( I quote this every year)

Seriously, this year I will throw computer at TV I mean it.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Running back is definitely a need. The Arian Foster situation came up previously with Chris Taylor as well. Foster should have every chance to win the starting job during training camp, but the last 2 games shouldn't automatically make him the starter.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Running back is definitely a need. The Arian Foster situation came up previously with Chris Taylor as well. Foster should have every chance to win the starting job during training camp, but the last 2 games shouldn't automatically make him the starter.
I agree. I blame Kubiak for this last few games of the season junk. Why wasn't Foster given the opportunity sooner? Was he that bad at "becoming a pro" to keep him from competing in a horrible backfield? Steve 'Slumpin' Slaton, Chris 'I suck with the ball, but I'm good at blitz pick-up' Brown and Ryan 'Give me a chance, Coach' Moats were all horrible this season.

Yes, the Oline is to blame as well, but why not give him a shot? Especially during the 4 game losing streak.
Old 01-08-2010   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

C
FS
#1 CB
DT

Really not too different from recent needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree. I blame Kubiak for this last few games of the season junk. Why wasn't Foster given the opportunity sooner? Was he that bad at "becoming a pro" to keep him from competing in a horrible backfield? Steve 'Slumpin' Slaton, Chris 'I suck with the ball, but I'm good at blitz pick-up' Brown and Ryan 'Give me a chance, Coach' Moats were all horrible this season.

Yes, the Oline is to blame as well, but why not give him a shot? Especially during the 4 game losing streak.
One fumble, you're out. I get the rule, but Arian Foster would have run all over the Rams, they game planned for Chris Brown and Moats.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #14
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

1. OG/C: Very few offensive linemen can move directly from college to pros so I'd prefer we got a veteran FA here. Don't know if there are any good G/C in FA but that's my preference.

2. FS: Either; as long as he's a hitter, I don't care.

3. CB: Depends if Dunta stays. If he stays, draft; otherwise, FA.

4. RB: Draft. You can get good value in the lower rounds of the draft at RB.

5. DT: Free Agency ~ I'm so tired of developing players at this position.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Think back to the last preseason game. Kubiak outright told Moats and Foster they were playing for the last RB spot. Moats outplayed him. So Foster had his earlier opportunity and screwed the pooch.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1. OT) bump current OT inside, tighten OL up

2. DB) same thing, tighten secondary

3. RB) add speed & power

4. DT) interior run stopper

5. K) Chris Brown great guy, performance unacceptable

6. QB) who is Schaubs replacement in case of injury/future

7. LB) cover/nickle OLB
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Because he was trying to keep the league leading QB healthy and Moats and Foster both stink at pass protection, though Foster improved late. It's a pretty tough situation that he was in when you consider that 2 of the 4 TEs were also rookies and OD went down... Leach is the only FB, and Slaton went to the IR. When you add all that up along with the loss of both starting guards, they were in a difficult position regarding pass protection. That's why Brown played so much after the OD injury, IMO.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

3. RB) add speed & power

7. LB) cover/nickle OLB
1.) Which OT?
2.) Why bump Quinn?
3.) Okay
4.) Okay
5.) Okay
6.) Doubtful, they have 2 guys who are experienced and under contract
7.) Ryans and Cush would be the LB's in nickel and wouldn't Ryans be the LB in Dime?
Old 01-08-2010   #19
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

3. RB) add speed & power

7. LB) cover/nickle OLB
Is this the order of the player's position you want to draft, or is this just a priority list? If it's how you want to draft I don't think Kubes/Smith would take a Kicker in the 5th round.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
1.) Which OT? could go either way
2.) Why bump Quinn? his physcial play
3.) Okay
4.) Okay
5.) Okay
6.) Doubtful, they have 2 guys who are experienced and under contract neither is a viable option IMO, I would go after Kolb
7.) Ryans and Cush would be the LB's in nickel and wouldn't Ryans be the LB in Dime? player with more length than Diles & better cover skills
to expound:
Brown could be hell of a LG & there is no discrace in that just look at Logan Mankins & Winston could focus more on road grading instead of trying to swivel against speed on the edge.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read