Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-08-2010   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Colt Injury, NCAA Farm System, Etc.

OK, so the more I think about it, the more I think it's BS. The story we're being sold is that Colt wanted to come back in and give it his all. Nothing was broken; it was a sprain. Instead, the UT Longhorns' top priority was not to win their biggest game of the year, on the grandest stage, and win what passes for an NCAA title. No, their top priority was protecting Colt McCoy's future career in some unaffiliated league. I mean, if Colt was projected to go to the CFL, would they have acted the same?

I guess it's about time that the NCAA just openly declares that they're a farm league for the NFL (which we've all known for years anyway) and start conducting business as such. Last night was just a bit too overt for my tastes.

Never mind that the whole sequence of events just seemed a little fishy anyway.
Old 01-08-2010   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colt Injury, NCAA Farm System, Etc.

Of course Colt wanted to play. It was the national championship for christ's sake! But if the doc says you can't play then you can't play. I'm sure the Texas' coaches would have loved to put him back in, if he was 90% or close to it. But he wasn't. In the interview after the game he said his arm was dead. It didn't hurt, but he couldn't feel it at all. I doubt he would have been very useful in the passing game with a dead arm.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #3
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Colt wanted to play and he was going to play but the simple fact that his dad went to the locker room changed from I'm gonna play to...oh wait how much money will I get in April...

My point is that his daddy had his son not play because he won't f up his chances in the upcoming draft. Which every father would do that just the fact that his son wanted to play but he said no that is kinda messed up to me.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

as wolverine mentioned, colt after the game said "i dont feel any pain ... i cant feel my arm at all". i'm as far as you can get from an expert, but if colt had gone to the trainer with "it hurts here and there's a sharp pain when i move it this way", there would probably have been a quick diagnosis followed by his return or report of injury. the numbness i can only assume worried the staff enough to bring in colt's dad, mack brown, and the doctors together to assess the risk. it seemed that colt wanted back in but was outvoted 3-1.

you're also missing one very important thing. why do kids go to college? colt mccoy's degree in throwing a football is going to earn him more than 99% of his graduating class. the NCAA is exactly what college is ... an elective for most, a major for others, and a direct opportunity for the top of the class. the only difference is that only 1 company is hiring.
Old 01-08-2010   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

really? texas didn't want their two-time Heisman finalist playing in the national championship because of the draft?
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously if you cant throw a football, I doubt you will be very useful in a game.

Unfortunaly Gilbert gave UT their best chances to win the game. Nothing more.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently it was a pinched nerve. He would not have been able to throw the ball effectively in the game.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2010   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

The entire point of college is for students to get an education and prepare for their professional life. I hardly see how it's fishy that a student who is about to graduate did what is best for his future.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
The entire point of college is for students to get an education and prepare for their professional life. I hardly see how it's fishy that a student who is about to graduate did what is best for his future.
Exactly right. Man, people are reaching on this one, the guy got hurt plain and simple, there's no conspiracy behind it.
Old 01-08-2010   #10
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

the problem is not Colt but Mac Brown, College teams can be 100 strong and all Mac had was a Freshman QB for Back Up. That is a Mac Brown Problem by not having his second string ready.

Rooooooollll Tide Roll Tide
Old 01-08-2010   #11
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Colt tried to throw in the tunnel and wasn't able to. He wasn't whining or crying after the game..he just said his arm was dead and he's a smart guy. He couldn't play. Period.

Mac did the right thing. He couldn't play. He didn't.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you have done differently? He has his whole life ahead of him, and he didn't know what the damage was. Would you risk your entire future for one game? Even if its the Ncaa championship?

If I was asked, of course I'd say "I wanted to play!" Even if it was me saying "No way am I risking further injury"
Old 01-08-2010   #13
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anyone convinced Colt NOT to play, it was just the matter that he had an injury and would not have been effective on the field. If it WAS about the NFL and millions of dollars, how come he didn't go to the NFL Draft in 2009? He had the best season stat wise in 2008-2009 and I'm sure he wouldv'e been a high 2nd round pick.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #14
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4282 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Colt McCoy before the National Championship was already considered not a first round talent by most scouts. I will take the benefit of the doubt that he couldn't play, but this will hurt his draft stock even more.

I'm thinking an early third round pick, unless a team falls in love with some of his intangibles.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Colt McCoy before the National Championship was already considered not a first round talent by most scouts. I will take the benefit of the doubt that he couldn't play, but this will hurt his draft stock even more.

I'm thinking an early third round pick, unless a team falls in love with some of his intangibles.
A pinched nerve is not the type of injury that would cause a guy to fall in the draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
the problem is not Colt but Mac Brown, College teams can be 100 strong and all Mac had was a Freshman QB for Back Up. That is a Mac Brown Problem by not having his second string ready.

Rooooooollll Tide Roll Tide
The kid was ready to play. He was the National Player of the Year in high school last year.

The reason he wasn't successful when he first came in was because Greg Davis dummied down the offense and tried to protect him. When they finally decided to give him the keys to the car he started driving the team downfield.

No way in hell we run that dumbass shovel pass with Colt in the game. The coaches went into prevent offense mode when Gilbert came in and that is probably what ultimately cost us the game in the end.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
OK, so the more I think about it, the more I think it's BS. The story we're being sold is that Colt wanted to come back in and give it his all. Nothing was broken; it was a sprain. Instead, the UT Longhorns' top priority was not to win their biggest game of the year, on the grandest stage, and win what passes for an NCAA title. No, their top priority was protecting Colt McCoy's future career in some unaffiliated league. I mean, if Colt was projected to go to the CFL, would they have acted the same?

I guess it's about time that the NCAA just openly declares that they're a farm league for the NFL (which we've all known for years anyway) and start conducting business as such. Last night was just a bit too overt for my tastes.

Never mind that the whole sequence of events just seemed a little fishy anyway.
So a College team does something in the best interest of the student and you have a problem with it? If they ruined his career for their own self interests you would be quick to jump on the School pimping the kids I'd bet.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

First, let me say that I had not heard the reports about the dead arm issue. From what I heard, he thought he could go, he wanted to go, and the team (maybe Dad) vetoed him. If he couldn't throw the ball, then that's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
So a College team does something in the best interest of the student and you have a problem with it? If they ruined his career for their own self interests you would be quick to jump on the School pimping the kids I'd bet.
Nah. The college needs to try and win games. If the kid is in a situation where he can't play, or where if he plays he can further injure himself, then they need to look out for him. Under no situation should the NFL be a concern of the college. That was my argument all along, because that's the way it was presented on TV. Perhaps it was misrepresented, and I'm fine accepting that.

Also, I'm perfectly OK with McCoy declining to play for career considerations. It would be weak, but that's the way the system has evolved. I just don't like the idea of the college making decisions based on a projected NFL career. It's BS.
Old 01-08-2010   #19
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4282 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
A pinched nerve is not the type of injury that would cause a guy to fall in the draft.
True, but when you're a quarterback that scouts are already doubting, and have questions about your ability, getting knocked out of the National Championship doesn't make them think any higher of you.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

They would have loved for Colt to come back and lead them to victory... but the bottom line is that Gilbert gave the Horns the better shot of winning. Has nothing to do with Colt's situation outside his arm.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read