Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2010   #1
TwoTrill
Rookie

Default Players who should get cut next year

Andre Davis
Shaun Cody
Chris/Kris Brown
Chris Myers
Kasey Studdard
Rex Grossman
Dan Orlosvky
John Busing
Nick Ferguson
Fred Bennett
TwoTrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #2
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Players who should get cut next year

Disagree with Cody, Myers, and Studdard. Cody hasn't been terrible this year and he should be kept for the dline rotation. Myers and Studdard should be backups to the new C and G we pick up (please god). Also we should probably keep at least one of our backup QBs so we don't have to bring in a new one who will spend all year learning again.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #3
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on what replacements? If we can't find someone better at those positions for a reasonable price (which isn't easy), there's no reason to cut them.

And some of those guys listed provide good depth for cheap, like Shaun Cody.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #4
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTrill View Post
Andre Davis: He's great depth behind AJ, and we're only paying him 2.5mil next year.
Shaun Cody: Not starter material, but good depth at DT.
Chris Brown: Yeah... he can go.
Kris Brown: He stays, but must battle for his job come training camp.
Chris Myers: Not starter material, but good depth at C.
Kasey Studdard: He has the potential to be a starter, but I'm not holding my breath.
Rex Grossman: He will go elsewhere looking to compete for a starting job, and fail.
Dan Orlosvky: He's not leaving. The contract he got means the Texans have invested in him.
John Busing: Could care less whether he stays or goes.
Nick Ferguson: See John Busing.
Fred Bennett: See John Busing, and Nick Ferguson.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Andre Davis - Keep him around in training camp, but get a replacement at KR to compete with him
Shaun Cody - Why? He's cheap and provides rotation at the valuable DT spot
Chris Brown - Can't wait for him to be gone
Kris Brown - Should have been cut in season...maybe we'd still be playing now
Chris Myers - Cut your starting C? When you're paying him a low salary? Uhh, I disagree. At the very least he's a competent backup
Kasey Studdard - Don't know enough about his play
Rex Grossman - Theres going to be no good QBs in FA this year. Keep Grossman either as backup or trade bait
Dan Orlosvky - We just signed him to a huge deal. See above
John Busing - Keep until after draft. If we get a good FS, I dont care about this guy
Nick Ferguson - Depends on Eugenes Wilsons recovery
Fred Bennett - This guy seems to be done. He's gotten worse every year he's been in the NFL
my responses above
Old 01-07-2010   #6
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

its probably time for antwan molden to go to. i really wanted him to succeed but he needs a change of scenery.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #7
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

My Takes...

Quote:
Andre Davis - CUT
Shaun Cody - BACKUP
Chris/Kris Brown - CUT
Chris Myers - BACKUP
Kasey Studdard - BACKUP
Rex Grossman - BACKUP
Dan Orlosvky - CUT
John Busing - CUT
Nick Ferguson - CUT
Fred Bennett - CUT
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotrill View Post
andre davis - keep. Depth.
shaun cody - keep. Depth.
chris/kris brown - cut / he'll be here next season but hopefully he's challenged with some competition
chris myers - i would like to cut him, but we don't have anyone to replace him. Hopefully we draft a center or pick one up in FA. If so, keep as a back-up.
kasey studdard - keep as depth
rex grossman - meh, *yawns* here's your walking papers.
dan orlosvky - unfortunately his deal is too big to simply eat his contract.
john busing - depends on what we can pick up via draft or FA.
nick ferguson - ^^
fred bennett- ^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-07-2010   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Andre Davis- His contract numbers aren't bad this year but, he's underachieving for what we are paying him. Keep him until TC and see how the rest of the WRs pan out.
Shaun CodyWhy? As everyone else pointed out he's not killing us with salary and he's a decent rotational DT.
Chris/Kris BrownNeither can leave fast enough. However, I still think Gary and Bob will keep him next year.
Chris MyersHe'd make great depth, would've liked to see Caldwell get snaps at Center as opposed to guard. Gary's slow to move with his "kids"
Kasey StuddardHonestly I guess he'd make decent backup material, but nothing more than that. I'd rather bring in someone with more upside though.
Rex Grossman If he's willing to come back Let him and Dan battle it out for position. I'm not saying he's great, but I think it was a mistake the time we saw him in Jax that Kubiak stuck to his scripted plays instead of trying to ease Rex into the game. That's just me though.
Dan OrlosvkyNo one expected us to sign Rex, and we're got a pretty decent committed contract to the guy. I'd really like to keep 3 QBs on the roster next year.
John BusingCamp fodder
Nick FergusonI jsut don't think Nick can cut it this coming year. Please for the love of football address the FS spot in the draft.
Fred Bennett
My thoughts bolded.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #10
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Davis - keep
Shaun Cody - keep
Chris/Kris Brown - cut both
Chris Myers - keep
Kasey Studdard - cut
Rex Grossman - keep
Dan Orlosvky - keep
John Busing - depends on draft
Nick Ferguson - depends on draft/Wilson
Fred Bennett - cut

Why are we keeping Kris Brown? Are we too loyal to cut him? We need to bring in some kickers this offseason. And Chris Brown needs to be gone just as quickly. The only Brown that stays is Duane.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #11
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh. You don't cut a somewhat decent starter who is not being paid big money.

That's depth, fellas. Something we need.
Old 01-07-2010   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying I like it, but it seems pretty likely that Frank Okam will be gone.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #13
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dan Orlovsky is so over paid it makes my head spin. I get that we paid him so much as insurance because we weren't sure about Schaub this year, but, he's not worth what we're paying him. There's got to be an out somewhere in that contract. He's gotta go.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty good list to start from above.

I freaked out when I looked at David Anderson's salary on rotoworld and saw he was making $2.3 million a year.... and then realized it was the Rocket's DA. LOL In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind replacing him with a rookie that can do the same thing but has more of a big play ability. DA will be making $1.17MM and $1.44M in '10 and '11, respectively. That's for someone who averages 2.5 catches a game for 24 yds. 0 Tds on the year. I love 'em and his humor but I've gotten into business mode, finally.

I think just about everyone on this team could (and I stress could) be with us going into training camp. A lot of people just want to flat out cut them and get someone new (change for the sake of change). I'm totally against that mindset if the player isn't detrimental to the team [insert C/Kris Brown joke here]. We gotta upgrade the position, not just get someone new.

Also with this being an uncapped year, we're not totally tied down to a player's salary. We can get rid of some bad contracts. Ironically, we really don't have too many because Rick Smith has done an outstanding job.

Andre Davis is the only one that stands out to me. Cash-wise, the Organization will still have to eat about $4MM but his salary for 2010 and 2011 is $2.55MM and $4.7MM, respectively. Done.

Fred Bennett - this is his last year of his contract and he's making $550K, keep him, let him battle and see if he makes the team or not. I think he's got a ton of potential and I'm hoping he comes back strong from a sophomore slump.

Kris Brown - bring in another kicker(s) to compete for the job. If he wins it, bring him back but I'm not quick to cut him even though I'm really disappointed with him this year. Make him see a sports-psychologist.

John Busing - has to be making next to nothing. No reason to cut him until we find a safety we want to replace him. Nick Ferguson is a FA.

Shaun Cody - making $1MM this last year on his contract. I'd keep him as a rotational guy.

Frank Okam - this guy has GOT to step up for us. He's cheap for the next two years so he's probably making it to camp unless the coaches just don't see him progressing.

Chris Myers - I see no reason to cut him. I want Caldwell to win the starting C job, I want us to draft an OG early and also pick up a starting calibre OG in FA. As much as people don't want to hear it, we'd be screwed if we cut Myers due to our OL situation right now.

Kasey Studdard - Cheap as dirt $550K next year (final year of contract). He's on the team until we fill the OL with better back ups. No reason to cut him before camp.

Dan Orlovsky - signed a 3-year $9MM contract last year with $2.4MM guaranteed. That means he's a high salary guy that's probably making $2MM - $3MM a year for 2010 - 2011. If they can find a QB they like to replace him, do it. If Bill Musgrave comes in as OC, it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to bring Chris Redman with him (free agent this year).

Chris Brown - I like going into next season with Slaton, Foster, ROOKIE, Jeremiah Johnson. CB can go. He's a free agent so he probably won't be spending much time on Kirby.

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 01-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Andre Davis I'd like to see better returns too but he's depth as long as there isn't a clearly better option
Shaun Cody Depth worthy
Chris/Kris Brown CB can leave now. KB needs to win his spot, not just have another guy in for camp but actually be better than him
Chris Myers As much bad press as I give him, he's depth worthy
Kasey Studdard Depth worthy, starter never again
Rex Grossman Goodbye
Dan Orlosvky Contract issues but I still think he can be molded
John Busing Clearly the guy is a backup defender but he's a hell of a special teams player. Really depends on draft/FA
Nick Ferguson Outside of veteran leadership I don't know why he's here
Fred Bennett Pfft, I'll get a contract before this chump will
Molden Hurt. Never plays. Next
Okam All the tools, none of the desire. Next
mine
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #16
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
A lot of people just want to flat out cut them and get someone new (change for the sake of change). I'm totally against that mindset if the player isn't detrimental to the team [insert C/Kris Brown joke here]. We gotta upgrade the position, not just get someone new.

Kris Brown - bring in another kicker(s) to compete for the job. If he wins it, bring him back but I'm not quick to cut him even though I'm really disappointed with him this year. Make him see a sports-psychologist.
I'm confused. How do you upgrade a position without bringing in someone new?

Look, I like Kris Brown. Nice guy. But, we really don't have time for him to go see a shrink and hope he gets his psychological issues worked out. We just don't. That job is too important to take chances, especially next year.

Frankly, I'm also not a fan of the "bring someone in to compete with him" strategy. I don't trust these coaches. I honestly think that if they bring someone in to compete with him, Kris Brown will get the job regardless of the other guy's performance.

Again, I like Kris, but it may be time to just release him.
Old 01-07-2010   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
The point is you don't decide to cut players in a vacuum as you can't know you are making an upgrade until you have a specific player that you will believe will be an upgrade to replace them. For example it doesn't make sense to say cut Cody until you have found someone better. Guy is cheap and good depth.
Old 01-07-2010   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I'd like to stress the word just. "not JUST bring someone in new." - Ceteris Paribus, you don't cut a C player and bring in a C player. That's changing for the sake of change... not necessarily upgrading. That goes for every position. Just because you bring in someone new and replaced someone that stunk it up for you... doesn't mean the new guy won't stink it up more!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The point is you don't decide to cut players in a vacuum as you can't know you are making an upgrade until you have a specific player that you will believe will be an upgrade to replace them. For example it doesn't make sense to say cut Cody until you have found someone better. Guy is cheap and good depth.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

That makes sense, for the most part. I don't think that would apply to Kris Brown, though. I really don't think it would be all that hard to find a kicker better than he.
Old 01-07-2010   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd like to stress the word just. "not JUST bring someone in new." - Ceteris Paribus, you don't cut a C player and bring in a C player. That's changing for the sake of change... not necessarily upgrading. That goes for every position. Just because you bring in someone new and replaced someone that stunk it up for you... doesn't mean the new guy won't stink it up more!
Well, sure. And that also doesn't mean the new guy won't be fantastic. You don't know what someone is going to do until they get here and are in an actual game situation. But, that doesn't mean you don't at least TRY and upgrade.

There are no gurantees. Especially in sports. Settling for a average player because the next guy MIGHT be just as average doesn't get us anywhere.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read