Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2010   #1
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cushing's contract: Are we going to have to rip it up?

I'm burned out on the Kubiak saga. I'm even tired of hearing myself talk about it.

Let's talk some football. We can all agree that we have an exciting squad. I was thinking about Cushing. He's an amazing player. I don't want to jinx our boy, but if he plays next year like he did this year, 12 months from now we may have to rip up his contract, start all over, and re-sign him with an extension and a big-ass raise.

Also, a buddy of mine was saying that he thinks Cushing is going to be even better after he puts on what he calls "NFL weight." He was saying that linebackers tend to be small when they get into the NFL and that it takes a year for them to put on weight and adust.

I've never heard of that theory. My buddy knows football, but when he's had several beers (as he had when he was yakking about this) his football common sense sometimes goes out the window.

I, personally, think Cushing is a great size, and adding any more weight would slow him down.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing's contract: Are we going to have to rip it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I'm burned out on the Kubiak saga. I'm even tired of hearing myself talk about it.

Let's talk some football. We can all agree that we have an exciting squad. I was thinking about Cushing. He's an amazing player. I don't want to jinx our boy, but if he plays next year like he did this year, 12 months from now we may have to rip up his contract, start all over, and re-sign him with an extension and a big-ass raise.

Also, a buddy of mine was saying that he thinks Cushing is going to be even better after he puts on what he calls "NFL weight." He was saying that linebackers tend to be small when they get into the NFL and that it takes a year for them to put on weight and adust.

I've never heard of that theory. My buddy knows football, but when he's had several beers (as he had when he was yakking about this) his football common sense sometimes goes out the window.

I, personally, think Cushing is a great size, and adding any more weight would slow him down.
I dunno, NFL.com lists Cush at 6'-3", 260 lbs. By comparison they list Ray Lewis at 6'-1", 250 lbs
and Patrick Willis at 6'-1", 240 lbs.
Old 01-06-2010   #3
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I dunno, NFL.com lists Cush at 6'-3", 260 lbs. By comparison they list Ray Lewis at 6'-1", 250 lbs
and Patrick Willis at 6'-1", 240 lbs.
That's what I was thinking. He's a good size. I acutally think he's big, fast and agile enough to possibly play safety. Though, he still needs to work on his footwork a bit.
Old 01-06-2010   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't worry about him adding bad weight, he'll add good weight in the form of muscle for sure. Most NFL players are a different size from age 22 to age 26 to 30. Physically I have no concerns over him losing speed from adding weight because he takes care of himself. Guys who deserve that kind of concern are the one's with poor work ethics or have always had weight problems which Cushing hasn't.

Where Cushing can improve most if he dedicates himself, which I think he has and will is the mental aspect. Watching film on himself and some of the best linebackers in the game and seeing where he's falling short. I think he can take better angles to tackles and work on pass rushing moves other than a bull rush (swim moves etc). He has room to grow and its scary to think how good he can be. Personally I think he could be unquestionably the best linebacker in football at some point in his career from just projecting his progress as a rookie. Keep in mind, this guy played the way he did without a snap of preseason football and missing a ton of training camp, and he won rookie of the year, when has that ever happened?

Contract-wise rookies are inherently over-paid so we won't be worrying about his contract for atleast 5-7 more years.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I always thought he seemed a little small for LB when he was in his regular clothes. He looked more like a safety.

But then when I saw him after pre season in his Texans uniform he looked much bigger and like any typical LB in the NFL. Not the smallest or the biggest. After watching him all season though, he looks just fine size wise. I'm not sure that I would want him to gain that much weight, because I like his abilities to rush the passer and wreck havoc on pass plays in coverage as well. The extra weight could possibly slow him down and it's not like he's having trouble bringing guys down or anything on tackles.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Was this the same friend who told you that Dunta led the team in sacks this year?
Old 01-06-2010   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Was this the same friend who told you that Dunta led the team in sacks this year?
LOL!!!!

You know what, it was. And he's out of town, and due back in a few days and I'm going to nail him on it. And there were witnesses.

Seriously, the guy is smart, but when he's drinking, he really yaps and yaps and talks out of his butt. The only thing I can assume is that he meant to say that Dunta leads the team in picks, not sacks, but I don't even think that's true.
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2010   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Cushing is my favorite Texan player probably of all time, but why rip the contract up? Because he is actually earning it? Can we rip up the contracts of players not earning it? No....then why should we carebear Cushing another contract before its time?

Cushing is going to be a Texan until we decide he no longer fits our plans. There is no reason to rush towards re-signing him to a longterm deal less than 8 months after we drafted him. That is just ludicrous. Having Cushing at fair value is the reward for drafting well...plus with his injury history we need to be cautious and not dig ourselves a hole trying to show a player that we believe in him. Didn't we learn anything from Domanick Davis and David Carr's contract when we went above and beyond what was prudent only to be burned by injuries and suckitude, respectively?
Old 01-06-2010   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Cushing is my favorite Texan player probably of all time, but why rip the contract up? Because he is actually earning it? Can we rip up the contracts of players not earning it? No....then why should we carebear Cushing another contract before its time?

Cushing is going to be a Texan until we decide he no longer fits our plans. There is no reason to rush towards re-signing him to a longterm deal less than 8 months after we drafted him. That is just ludicrous. Having Cushing at fair value is the reward for drafting well...plus with his injury history we need to be cautious and not dig ourselves a hole trying to show a player that we believe in him. Didn't we learn anything from Domanick Davis and David Carr's contract when we went above and beyond what was prudent to try and overplay our hand?
No, I'm not saying re-sign him now, I'm saying if he plays well again next year, would we have to do it after next season, which would be two years into his contract.

I'm not saying we should. Just thought I'd toss it out there. I believe we did something similar with Eric Winston.

I agree about being careful regarding his injury history.
Old 01-06-2010   #10
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Its not like the guy was a 2nd round pick. As a 15th overall pick he has a rock solid contract. When we get to year 4 or 5 I'm sure he will get a healthy extension. As far as weight goes he doesn't need to add any, hes huge. He doesn't need to lose any either because he obviously carries it well. He is pretty much prototype 4-3 strongside LB size as a rookie.
Old 01-06-2010   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL!!!!

You know what, it was. And he's out of town, and due back in a few days and I'm going to nail him on it. And there were witnesses.

Seriously, the guy is smart, but when he's drinking, he really yaps and yaps and talks out of his butt. The only thing I can assume is that he meant to say that Dunta leads the team in picks, not sacks, but I don't even think that's true.
Robinson is the Texans career leader in INTs.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Robinson is the Texans career leader in INTs.
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks, Goat. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant to say. The guy drinks and he talks out of his ass and rambles.
Old 01-06-2010   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks, Goat. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant to say. The guy drinks and he talks out of his ass and rambles.
How do I know you again??

Then again, you could be talking about Thorn.
Old 01-06-2010   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
No, I'm not saying re-sign him now, I'm saying if he plays well again next year, would we have to do it after next season, which would be two years into his contract.

I'm not saying we should. Just thought I'd toss it out there. I believe we did something similar with Eric Winston.

I agree about being careful regarding his injury history.
Winston was a third round pick & to some people he probably outplayed his contract.

Cushing won't outplay his first round contract. Impossible. The only way the Texans would re-do his contract, would be to restructure to help Salary Cap situations.

& we may not see that again.
Old 01-06-2010   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

If Cushing was any bigger, they'd have to move him to DE!

MORE weight? C'mon, man!

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
If Cushing was any bigger, they'd have to move him to DE!

MORE weight? C'mon, man!
I know. He ain't built like any safety I've ever seen.

Adibi looks like a safety.

Demeco used to look like a safety.

Cushing looks like a badd ass LB.
Old 01-06-2010   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Can we rip up the contracts of players not earning it? No...
Sure, they can. No one has a guaranteed contract (except maybe Mario). The Texans can rip up any contract and make that player a free agent. And this would be the year to do it, without taking a cap hit. Because, there isn't a salary cap this offseason.
Old 01-06-2010   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Sure, they can. No one has a guaranteed contract (except maybe Mario). The Texans can rip up any contract and make that player a free agent. And this would be the year to do it, without taking a cap hit. Because, there isn't a salary cap this offseason.
Just for conversation's sake... would you happen to have a list of players you would cut, to take advantage of the situation?
Old 01-06-2010   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just for conversation's sake... would you happen to have a list of players you would cut, to take advantage of the situation?
I'd have already cut Kris Brown.

I would probably cut Andre Davis and Orlovsky, as well. They're not worth their contracts. Amobi Okoye is only making $765K, so I would keep him. But, I wouldn't just hand him a roster spot. Ok0ye hasn't earned his big $$$, but you can't take his bonus back.
Old 01-06-2010   #20
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'll be surprised if Andre Davis is on the team next season and I know he has a couple years left on his contract. Other than that I don't think we are in bad shape with anyone. People might get cut but there's turnover on every roster every year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read