Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2010   #1
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan
Default 1-5 in the AFC South 8-2 vs everyone else

The Cowher thread about the Bills interest in him got me thinking.

How on earth is Kubiak not getting ripped for going 1-5 in the division?

Are these not the games that we should look to first to determine the quality of the coaching staff? They should be the teams we are most familiar with.

I don't want to hear about how tough the AFC South is.

Jags 7-9 (should be 5-11 but we could not beat them)
Titans 8-8 they are probably a little better than their record

So I say a decent head coach has us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division

As far as the non-division games we were 8-2

Let's look at that closer

Loss #1 vs the Jets opening day the game the coaches have the most time to prepare for it ends up being our only blowout loss of the year and the Jets turn out to just be ok not great

Loss #2 at Arizona, great game but we are moving the ball with no problems the whole 2nd half until we get to the goal line and imo Kubiak takes over

Also the Jags game had Kubiak making those bone head calls all over it.

I am scared to think what will happen next season if Gary does more of the play calling and goes back to really screwing up in game decisions. Like not running a play right away in Indy after the Moats fumble. Those type of plays did not happen as much this year but with Kyle gone I am scared to think what will happen.

Look I really like Gary and I want him to succeed here but how on earth is this team not in the playoffs?

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1-5 in the AFC South 8-2 vs everyone else

If you find any Fire Gary thread it is brought up ad nauseum. I know I am guilty of it. Just warning you. I'm even tired of the talk and I wanted him gone. Nothing against you, but there are plenty of these out there.

End Thread

Old 01-06-2010   #3
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan View Post
He has been ripped on this board for that. If we could have won one more game and gone 2-4 in the division then we're in the playoffs.
Old 01-06-2010   #4
texanskan
Veteran

Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
If you find any Fire Gary thread it is brought up ad nauseum. I know I am guilty of it. Just warning you. I'm even tired of the talk and I wanted him gone. Nothing against you, but there are plenty of these out there.

End Thread

fair enough, I am just angry. It has been since 1993 that I have had a playoff football team to root for.

The further removed we are from Sunday the more pissed off I get.

Old 01-06-2010   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post

End Thread

This. It's done, he's coming back. Just hope things work out better next year.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Been awhile since you logged on, huh?

Thanks for stirring this hornet's nest up again.
Old 01-06-2010   #7
texanskan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Been awhile since you logged on, huh?

Thanks for stirring this hornet's nest up again.
No, I just could not read the Kubiak threads

I knew it would end this way.

I can't believe we are wasting Andre Johnson's best years

Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2010   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look I really like Gary and I want him to succeed here but how on earth is this team not in the playoffs?
How was the 11-5 Patriots not in the playoffs last season?

It's just the way the cookie crumbles.

p.s. Andre Johnson has chosen to stay in Houston, so "wasting" his best years is a decision that he is just as much a part of at the end of the day.
Old 01-06-2010   #9
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
How was the 11-5 Patriots not in the playoffs last season?

It's just the way the cookie crumbles.

p.s. Andre Johnson has chosen to stay in Houston, so "wasting" his best years is a decision that he is just as much a part of at the end of the day.
If the Texans get to 11-5, and don't make it, I won't be comparing them
to a 9-7 team that doesn't get in. That's apples-to-oranges, and the
heat need to CONTINUE to be applied on Gary's ass.
Old 01-06-2010   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Just imagine how close the Texans were to 0-6 in the division.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #11
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we could have won the two non division games and lost the last division game we are still in the playoffs so who gives a rats ass whast the division score is when you do not need it to advance. It is awesome to beat the dolts, teetons and ******* but shoulda coulda woulda. We are sitting out of the playoffs cause the spotted ******* tanked a game plain and simple.
Old 01-06-2010   #12
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Exactly.

It would be completely different if this team was 11-5 and couldn't get in.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
If we could have won the two non division games and lost the last division game we are still in the playoffs so who gives a rats ass whast the division score is when you do not need it to advance. It is awesome to beat the dolts, teetons and ******* but shoulda coulda woulda. We are sitting out of the playoffs cause the spotted ******* tanked a game plain and simple.
The Texans are out of the playoffs because they didn't take case of business after week 8 for FOUR straight weeks. Am I mad at the Colts / Bengals for tanking like they did? Sure as h***, but if we'd taken care of business, it would never have come to that.
Old 01-06-2010   #14
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
The Texans are out of the playoffs because they didn't take case of business after week 8 for FOUR straight weeks. Am I mad at the Colts / Bengals for tanking like they did? Sure as h***, but if we'd taken care of business, it would never have come to that.
If we wouldve beaten the Jets week one none of this wouldve happened, if we wouldve taken care of business none of this would have happened so i have no one to be mad at besides the texans. Sure i am upset with the Colts Bengals and possibly the Raiders but its our own fault
Old 01-06-2010   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
no its because Kubiak sucks as a coach and the Texans lost games they should have won. to blame the Colts is lame and is being a whiner. they earned the right to rest their starters....we failed.
Old 01-06-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
So I say a decent head coach has us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division

As far as the non-division games we were 8-2
The thing about this is that we're all looking on the field, & we see the obvious improvement in talent. & we see the obvious improvement in play. & we say, "a decent coach would have had us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division."

& we want to negate the fact that this "decent" coach got us this talent, & he got them playing this well.

there's no question he has plenty of room to grow.

But to say Gary Kubiak is not at least a "decent" head coach is unfair.
Quote:
Let's look at that closer

Loss #1 vs the Jets opening day the game the coaches have the most time to prepare for it ends up being our only blowout loss of the year and the Jets turn out to just be ok not great
I'm with you on this one. for exactly the same reason as you. If I were McNair, I would have had a sit down with Kubiak that day, & expect an explanation. The only thing I can think of that I would like Kubiak to have said is, "this team isn't ready. Right now, I'm focused on getting these men to play good football."

Even then, I wouldn't be satisfied, because it's not that they lost, but that they lost so badly. & we lossed badly last year, & we lost badly our first year with Mr Kubiak.

If I were McNair, & I was thinking about extending GK's contract. It would be under the clear understanding that he would have to win that first game. I don't care who we play. But with his previous record, GK has forced my hand. I don't want to look competitive, I don't want to lose because of a bad call, or a player mistake.

This is one win, that he has to get. (There is no way I would extend his contract before the third game of the season. I've got other stipulations, this is just one of them.)
Quote:
Loss #2 at Arizona, great game but we are moving the ball with no problems the whole 2nd half until we get to the goal line and imo Kubiak takes over
This was the first game I started seeing improvement in the defense. The first game I thought I was seeing something I could believe.

If I were McNair I would want to know how can Steve Slaton avg 7.4 yards/carry in the first Qtr, but do nothing the rest of the game?

Then, what are we going to do differently with on the goal line?

I'm going to ask him what happened to the first half?

Quote:
Also the Jags game had Kubiak making those bone head calls all over it.
If you're talking about the HB pass..... I'm ok with this on 1st & Goal.
Quote:
I am scared to think what will happen next season
I'm more worried that we'll start the year, with less than what ended this season with.

for instance. We thought we had a running game at the end of last season..... & it was nowhere to be found. In years past, when our defense was among the league best over the last 3 weeks of the year, or the last 8 weeks of the year, we've always started looking pretty poor on the defensive side of the ball. & how many times have we thought we had at least 1 starting calbre CB? or answered the Safety Question?

regardless how good Andre Johnson is... what is the probability that we'll get another 1500+ yard receiving season from him? 16 games from Matt Schaub, are we on borrowed time? Can we expect another 16?

Last edited by thunderkyss; 01-06-2010 at 05:03 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I'm not comparing them to an 11-5 team. Go back, re-read my post, and comprehend it next time.

He asked why this team isn't in the playoffs. It's pretty simple. Just like the 11-5 Pats, we did not win the game(s) that we needed to win to secure a spot. There is no comparison of teams. Just an example of two teams that did not do what needed to be done to EARN a playoff spot.

Asking why a team that just obtained it first winning record in 8 seasons is not in the playoffs is just silly. We aren't in the playoffs BECAUSE WE AREN'T IN THE PLAYOFFS. Does he want tie-breaking scenarios, breakdown of games we lost, or what? It's not exactly a deep question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Exactly.

It would be completely different if this team was 11-5 and couldn't get in.
Yet, it would be the same. Both sitting on your couch watching other teams in the playoffs.

I'm not a Kubiak fan, but there has to be a point of acceptance by some folks that he's going to be our HC for another season. Lots of reasons why he could have been let go, but guess what, Bob McNair is not buying any of them.
Old 01-06-2010   #18
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
no its because Kubiak sucks as a coach and the Texans lost games they should have won. to blame the Colts is lame and is being a whiner. they earned the right to rest their starters....we failed.
Dude stuff the soap where the sun don't shine the Kubiak Debate is over

I never said anything about the Colts so read before you spew

And the Bingles Tanked the game plain and simple. Kubiak put us in position to get in if the teams did what they could have.
Old 01-06-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why I even read this thread. Maybe because it's like a train wreck.
Old 01-06-2010   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The thing about this is that we're all looking on the field, & we see the obvious improvement in talent. & we see the obvious improvement in play. & we say, "a decent coach would have had us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division."

& we want to negate the fact that this "decent" coach got us this talent, & he got them playing this well.

there's no question he has plenty of room to grow.

But to say Gary Kubiak is not at least a "decent" head coach is unfair.

I'm with you on this one. for exactly the same reason as you. If I were McNair, I would have had a sit down with Kubiak that day, & expect an explanation. The only thing I can think of that I would like Kubiak to have said is, "this team isn't ready. Right now, I'm focused on getting these men to play good football."

Even then, I wouldn't be satisfied, because it's not that they lost, but that they lost so badly. & we lossed badly last year, & we lost badly our first year with Mr Kubiak.

If I were McNair, & I was thinking about extending GK's contract. It would be under the clear understanding that he would have to win that first game. I don't care who we play. But with his previous record, GK has forced my hand. I don't want to look competitive, I don't want to lose because of a bad call, or a player mistake.

This is one win, that he has to get. (There is no way I would extend his contract before the third game of the season. I've got other stipulations, this is just one of them.)

This was the first game I started seeing improvement in the defense. The first game I thought I was seeing something I could believe.

If I were McNair I would want to know how can Steve Slaton avg 7.4 yards/carry in the first Qtr, but do nothing the rest of the game?

Then, what are we going to do differently with on the goal line?

I'm going to ask him what happened to the first half?

If you're talking about the HB pass..... I'm ok with this on 1st & 10.

I'm more worried that we'll start the year, with less than what ended this season with.

for instance. We thought we had a running game at the end of last season..... & it was nowhere to be found. In years past, when our defense was among the league best over the last 3 weeks of the year, or the last 8 weeks of the year, we've always started looking pretty poor on the defensive side of the ball. & how many times have we thought we had at least 1 starting calbre CB? or answered the Safety Question?

regardless how good Andre Johnson is... what is the probability that we'll get another 1500+ yard receiving season from him? 16 games from Matt Schaub, are we on borrowed time? Can we expect another 16?

Thunder, we haven't always agreed, but I do see your point. Sometimes, I think you're a bit easy on Kubiak, but, you also admit his faults.

I think you're a rational person who is honestly trying to see both sides of the debate.

I'd rep you, but I don't think I'm allowed to do it again just yet. lol.

Incidentally, Jerome Solomon at the Chron said the same thing you did. He said that if Bob McNair told Kubiak that he HAD to win the Jets game, we would have won it. It's the only way to get that guy going.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read