Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-28-2005   #1
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Default Antrel Rolle...

Dont know if he's been brought up before here but...

I currently have him slated as a share for the 2nd best player in the draft.(DJ 1, Mike Williams/Antrel Rolle 2A/2B) If he somehow slips to us, would you take him?? Some sites got Pac-Man jumping up ahead of Rolle,so he'd be available on a few mocks. Take Rolle, even after we signed Faggins and have Glenn/Dunta?? This would pretty much permanently cement Faggins as a Nickleback at most. Yay or ney?
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I wouldn't mind it. 2 good cornerbacks just don't get the job done anymore. teams have to have 3 esp with the colts in our division. 4 right now (for us) until glenn retires.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

I think it would be a great pick up, with Indy in our division and possibly Jax picking up Mason you could never have enough good DB's. Plus he played nickel in college alot so that wouldnt be hard for him to adjust to. That would leave Dunta to cover the outside which I think he was much better at.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #4
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

If we select him, the question then becomes, what do we do with him? Play him as the #2? Let Glenn keep #2? Personally, I'd do something really off the board...play him at Safety. He's clearly got the build, intensity and playmaking ability to play Safety. At the same time, Shutdown corner is a more important position than Safety.
Old 02-28-2005   #5
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
If we select him, the question then becomes, what do we do with him? Play him as the #2? Let Glenn keep #2? Personally, I'd do something really off the board...play him at Safety. He's clearly got the build, intensity and playmaking ability to play Safety. At the same time, Shutdown corner is a more important position than Safety.
He measured in the combine at 6'0 198lbs. thats small for a safety, but excellent for a corner. Especially with WRs the size of mike williams and that northern colorado WR.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #6
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
He measured in the combine at 6'0 198lbs. thats small for a safety, but excellent for a corner. Especially with WRs the size of mike williams and that northern colorado WR.
Eh, I went by his 6'1 202 listed in his college bio....

At 6'1, he's bigger than Reed, Dawkins, Milloy, Vincent, R.Harrison...heck, the only Safety off the top of my head I can think of he's smaller than is Roy Williams...
Old 02-28-2005   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

if we were to draft him at safety.. you'd take him over davis? I haven't seen eith er one play
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2005   #8
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
if we were to draft him at safety.. you'd take him over davis? I haven't seen eith er one play
Without a doubt.Rolle is an absolute freak. I'd seriously compare him to Ed Reed if he plays safety.He's a game changing player.
Old 02-28-2005   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At 6'1, he's bigger than Reed, Dawkins, Milloy, Vincent, R.Harrison...heck, the only Safety off the top of my head I can think of he's smaller than is Roy Williams...
Umm, Rodney Harrison definitely weighs more than 202 lbs... However, you are right that Rolle has the size to play Safety: Free Safety. Also, it's not as if he has to be labeled the #2 CB or the #3 CB or the FS... Perhaps when we were to play Baltimore, he'd shadow Todd Heap all over the field. Then, when we play St. Louis perhaps he plays SS next to Marcus Coleman. Then, against Arizona he may play on the outside- defending Boldin/or Fitzgerald...

Rolle has excellent cover skills, he has good size, and a great nose for the ball. He also is a very good tackler and is already adept at blitzing. I think the coaching staff can utilize a player like that.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #10
grandslam1
Veteran

he'll be a redskin...
grandslam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #11
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I was going to mention the same thing. I could see Rolle playing Fs, SS, NB, or RCB. If a person is that versatile, then he gets drafted high. I would love to have Rolle to defend Brandon Stokely.
Old 03-01-2005   #12
Wild Bill
Rookie

Rolle is going to have a very difficult time with the no contact rules of the NFL after 5 yards. He doesn't have the speed at corner to cover wide receivers without all the bumping and shoving.

I personnally would take Carlos Rogers over Rolle as a cornerback.

Now taking Rolle as a Free Safety is very interesting however I don't think the Texans would draft a free safety at #13.

Just so I'm not mistaken, Rolle is a hell of a football player and I would love to see him as a Houston Texan, but I just don't him falling to us.
Old 03-01-2005   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

if you ask casserly he sees rolle being a lot like sam madison, patrick surtain, and ty law...these guys all ran 4.5 in the 40's and we all know what kind of corners they became...if you want to see where i got this from it's on the texans homepage under calling all corners...personally if we draft rolle it'll be a good way to have glenn's replacement...rolle and robinson would be madison and surtain for years to come...i'd be a happy texan fan
Old 03-01-2005   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's say it is 3rd and 10 vs. Indianapolis and we bring in our dime package. I'd feel pretty darn good if our six DBs were: Glenn, Dunta, Faggins, Rolle, Coleman, and Glenn Earl... It would be hard to exploit a mismatch there.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been giving the possibility of Rolle being a Texan. its hard to think such a gifted, athletic football player from the University of Miami not being a great professional. but my biggest question would be does he fit the 3-4 scheme? seems like the corners should be physical yes & playmakers yet have blazing speed that enables them to be true shutdown corners. reaction & recovery would be key, hence Dunta Robinsons success and Aaron Glen's longevity. they also should be competitive and unafraid of taking a challenge or test to certify they are the real deal. hence a reason why the Combine is important and why Casserly is a big believer in the total process. all the Texans high picks made names for themselves in the combines or at least made the effort to show what they could do. which adds to my doubt that Rolle or even Pac-Man (both declined to workout at the combines) will be drafted by Casserly.

I would pay close attention to Justin Miller, if he has good strength (20 reps +/- 2) and outstanding speed (4.4 or less). to me along with Dunta could form the most dynamic duo of young CB's in the entire NFL that fit a 3-4 defense perfectly and are unafraid to take on all challenges.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #16
TexansCanes
All Pro

playing corner is a lot more than just running 40 yards down the field. he may not be the burner that jones is but he has the hips, technique, recovery speed, and the instincts to put himself in the right place to make a play. so if he is there and we take him than i can't complain, he could really help our defense
Old 03-01-2005   #17
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Come on, hes not that big, even if he was 202 it would be only 2 pounds over 200. Oh and have you heard of Sean Taylor, 6'3'', 230 oh yeah, hes way bigger.
Old 03-01-2005   #18
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Come on, hes not that big, even if he was 202 it would be only 2 pounds over 200. Oh and have you heard of Sean Taylor, 6'3'', 230 oh yeah, hes way bigger.
Sean Taylor was 210 in college. He was also 6'3. Average the poundage out for a 6'1 guy and its about 200. Players CAN add muscle you know?
Old 03-01-2005   #19
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

when was he 210, because I know when he went to the combine they measured him at 228
Old 03-01-2005   #20
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
when was he 210, because I know when he went to the combine they measured him at 228
Merriman measured at 275 at the combine too...are you going to seriously say Merriman is 275??

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read