Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2005   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Eric Heitmann - Guard

Just heard it through the grapevine that the local product (Katy) has only been offered a 7th round tender from the 49ers! Meaning he is basically a free agent. All any team has to do is give up a 7th rounder if they want to sign him now.

I believe he really wants it to happen with the Texans.

I think he would bolster our offensive line for sure. He is a smart player with some real talent.

What do you guys think? Do we truly need a Guard? Will the Texans pursue?

Its really up to the Texans... lets see what happens.

Last edited by Tailgate; 02-28-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #2
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Personally, I think we have enough guards. We need strong tackles with good feet and balance. I do not know much about him, but if he has any skills, I would have thought enough teams need solid OL backups to offer higher than a 7th. Do we even have a 7th? Thought it was traded.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Do we even have a 7th? Thought it was traded.
It's my understanding that we have two 7th round picks. One of them is ours, and the other one comes from the Cheifs since punter Steve Cheek met whatever requirement there was as far as games on the roster for the trade to include a 7th round pick.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #4
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

That will not last long. Casserly will trade those two for a 6th round, trade the 6th for a 5th next year and select a starting center to replace McKinney. Well, it could happen.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally, I think we have enough guards. We need strong tackles with good feet and balance. I do not know much about him, but if he has any skills, I would have thought enough teams need solid OL backups to offer higher than a 7th. Do we even have a 7th? Thought it was traded.
He is a starter all the way. But I think since they offered him a 7th round tender... all any team has to give the 49ers is a 7th rounder, and after that its still a bidding war.

This guy was a 2nd round talent. But all teams passed him up for some "phantom" injury that never existed. I know the Texans were kicking themselves for not drafting him... especially with the OL problems we have had. He has started since his rookie season and they went to the playoffs his first year.

I think the Jets and Bears have expressed interest thus far.

Here is his profile from a few years back before he got drafted. He has bulked up since then:

Draft Profile
Old 02-28-2005   #6
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

He's started at guard for 3 years? Sure I'd give up a 7th if we think he's the guy. I'm not likely to draft a starter-caliber guard in the 7th anyhow.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #7
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we need a gaurd, but I also don't think the Texans can pass on him again. We could work him into the rotation. He has started for the last 3 years and I think he would definitely be an instant starter here in Houston. We could rework some of our other gaurds. I am hoping this happens.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2005   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

RG and Center are actually the only positions on the line where I think we COULD use the help.

if he comes cheap enough id definatly grab him and give him a shot. Worst that could happen is he replaces one of our inept backups and gives us a bit of quality depth.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

We should definately try and pick him up if we can get him for a decent price.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #10
hou059
Veteran

Quote:
But what we don't have is quality gaurds behind Pitts and Weigert. I think we nned to upgrade the position imo.
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #11
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Why not pick this dude up, I mean both of our back up guards are FAs and have not really done anything since they were brought here.
Old 03-01-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I mean both of our back up guards are FAs and have not really done anything since they were brought here.
The only FA OG the Texans have is Milford Brown and he is a RFA.
Old 03-01-2005   #13
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

just saw on NFL Network that the 49ers tender him. Unlike likely we'll go after him.
Old 03-01-2005   #14
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGHTYTEX
just saw on NFL Network that the 49ers tender him. Unlike likely we'll go after him.

I posted that information already. All any team has to give up is a 7th round pick... and a contract of course. Odds are against him being back with the 49ers next year.
Old 03-01-2005   #15
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

Why not? What a 7th rounder anyway? I mean what percentage of 7th round draft picks become starters? Not a heck of a lot. If we could give away a 7th and possibly bring in a guy who could one day be a starter then heck why not? He only has 3 years experience and I bet he could come in and challenge at RG. Sounds good to me.
Old 03-02-2005   #16
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

I agree, plus he is a local boy so that is always good for PR. I would even give up a 6th just to make sure we had him.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, so what's wrong with him - it's not like SF wants to do another NFL team
a big favor by giving them something for nothing. Since they don't seem to want to pay much of a price to retain his services, why are they so disinterested in keeping him ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

simple...he is a marginally talented lineman.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #19
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny

Its always more complicated than that. But bottom line... he is a guy that will play smart and always gives 150%... which sometimes makes up for lack of talent in areas that are lacking.
Old 03-02-2005   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Almost certainly that's the case, afterall SF isn't pickin first in next months draft because they're loaded with talent or something. But he does have a
couple of things going for him - several years of experience as an NFL starter
and his youth, according to his bio he's only 25. At that age there should be
some still be some upside - I dunno, the poster talks like he's an overachiever so maybe what potential was there has already been tapped.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read