Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2010   #1
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 139 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2010 Power Rankings and the Texans

Thereís been a lot of chatter about missed opportunities, what if this and what if that, and whether the close games reflect an improvement in talent or incompetence in coaching. I donít post here much and havenít started a thread in years (since ďThe People v. Gary Kubiak and Richard Smith for 2nd Degree Murder of Defense"). I thought Iíd approach the subject of the Texans' future from a gut level, and see what folks think about where the Texans project in 2010 power rankings.

Tier 1 Elite Teams: Colts, Pats and Chargers
These three teams are just better than everyone else. Elite QB play, strong defenses, track record of sustained success. I donít think anyone could say that these are not elite teams.

Tier 2: The Next Five: Steelers, Ravens, Texans, Tenn and Jets
Here is where the debate begins. I think these five teams, in the order listed, are the next tier of teams that have the best shot at the playoffs. Steelers and Ravens have had recent playoff success and elite defensive units. The Steelers worst season in the last three was 2009, where they went 9-7 after a superbowl hangover. In the other 2 years, they were 10-6 and 12-4. The Ravens have been 5-11, 11-5 and 9-7. Theyíre just good tough teams. (Iíd almost put the Steelers in Tier 1).

I think the Texans are next and trend upwards. We have young players that will improve, particularly on defense. The keys are Schaubís health and Kubiakís coaching in big games. Add a running game and you address both key issues. As much as I hate them, the Titans are right there with the Texans. Theyíve been 10-6, 13-3 and 8-8. I look for them to rebound with a stronger defense and Chris Johnson still beasting.

The Jets have an elite defense and running game, which should continue. I ding them for QB play and the fact that they were given the last two games this year. The Jets have been 5-11, 9-7 and 9-7.

Tier 3: The Rodney Dangerfields: Cincy, Denver, Jacksonville, Miami
Is Cincy capable of any sustained success or ganizational stability. Denverís disasterous fade makes their early success seem like a mirage. Jackson ville doesnít have the talent of the Tier 1 and 2 teams. Miami is the Houston Rockets of the NFL Ė the ultimate try hard team, they get every ounce of performance from the talent they have. Would anyone be surprised at all if these teams turned in a 5-11 or 6-10 season? Not me. (All AFC Teams not mentioned are likely garbage)

Analysis:
We donít have the talent or sustained success of Tier 1 teams, but we should be in the mix. In December 2010, we should be fighting for a playoff spot. We have to find a way to enter December with a winning record and not be hoping for a 4 game winning streak and help from other teams to make it. So much will turn on adding a running game and Kubiakís coaching. If we play to our talent level, we should be in. (Some would say that was the case this year, but it will be the case in 2010 even more clearly). If we donít, itís a failure of leadership and we need a new regime.

Iíd like to see your power rankings and analysis of how the Texans project.
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #2
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Power Rankings and the Texans

I don't think the Pats are an Elite team anymore. Good, yes, but they aren't consistently good like they were in the past. Especially on the road. And you have to win on the road in the playoffs unless you are the number 1 seed. I think they are living on their past rep. I would put the pats at tier 1 1/2. But good post by the way...
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree on tier 2. The Jets can move up or down depending on how Sanchez performs in the next couple of years. The Texans are just so damn close. They can taste it. And I think the Steelers will be back next year.
Old 01-05-2010   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

In a league where nearly half the teams qualify for the playoffs, I think this team should be in the mix. Makes me ill thinking about starting another playoff tournament and the Texans are off ice fishing somewhere. I think the Chargers are the best team in the league right now. The Patriots and Colts have great drafts and outstanding scouting so they are always right up there but I'd include the Steelers. Every franchise has off seasons but if you look at their history, they are clearly one of the modern day NFL elite franchises and they will plug their holes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

although I think alot of our win Sunday, I also think the luster is off the Pats a little from years past. soon as I say that they'll make hay of teams in the playoffs, but I still think a smidge less of them than seasons past.
Old 01-05-2010   #6
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 139 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny -

It is fact that 6 of 16 teams make the playoffs. As good as that sounds, part of the purpose of my thread is to indicate that there are "elite" franchises in the AFC that as a practical matter have a stranglehold on 3 of those spots. The other 12 or 13 teams are fighting for the remaining three spots.

When you step back and look at it from that perspective, it is absolutely critical to build an elite franchise that has top notch talent evaluation and coaching. It's easy for folks to say that the Colts are elite just because of Manning, but that's not true. As you noted, they consistently draft well. As for the Pats and Chargers, well, the Pats found and groomed Brady and a host of other players and Bellicheck is the best tactician in the business. The Chargers managed to identify Rivers as the better QB over Manning and continue to perform well on draft day.

Maybe the real point of all this is that you better make sure you have the right GM and Coach. Otherwise, you're just another team trying to have more peaks than valleys. You wind up hoping that your peaks are often and high enough to make the playoffs every few years and you catch lightning in a bottle at some point and win it all.
Old 01-05-2010   #7
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 879 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicButt View Post
Vinny -

It is fact that 6 of 16 teams make the playoffs. As good as that sounds, part of the purpose of my thread is to indicate that there are "elite" franchises in the AFC that as a practical matter have a stranglehold on 3 of those spots. The other 12 or 13 teams are fighting for the remaining three spots.

When you step back and look at it from that perspective, it is absolutely critical to build an elite franchise that has top notch talent evaluation and coaching. It's easy for folks to say that the Colts are elite just because of Manning, but that's not true. As you noted, they consistently draft well. As for the Pats and Chargers, well, the Pats found and groomed Brady and a host of other players and Bellicheck is the best tactician in the business. The Chargers managed to identify Rivers as the better QB over Manning and continue to perform well on draft day.

Maybe the real point of all this is that you better make sure you have the right GM and Coach. Otherwise, you're just another team trying to have more peaks than valleys. You wind up hoping that your peaks are often and high enough to make the playoffs every few years and you catch lightning in a bottle at some point and win it all.
I wouldn't say that. Manning didn't want to play in San Diego, they drafted him but traded him for Rivers and whatever else they got. Still worked out great in their favour, though
Old 01-05-2010   #8
ToxicButt
Rookie

I seem to recall that the Chargers GM decided to play chicken with Manning by taking him despite his position of not wanting to play in San Diego. I thought there were subsequent reports (maybe self serving revisionist history/propaganda) that the Chargers wanted Rivers all along and got even more for because they used the additional picks from NYG to get Merriman and Kaeding.
Old 01-05-2010   #9
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 879 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Not going against you on that one. Its entirely possible that it happened like that. I am not familiar with the scenario and what happened with it. I understand that they took Manning even though he had said he would never play in San Diego.
With that said, the only way that they would draft him is to try and trade him. I have no idea about who the Chargers liked more though.
Old 01-05-2010   #10
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I don't think the Pats are an Elite team anymore. Good, yes, but they aren't consistently good like they were in the past. Especially on the road. And you have to win on the road in the playoffs unless you are the number 1 seed. I think they are living on their past rep. I would put the pats at tier 1 1/2. But good post by the way...
I'd have to disagree with you here. They have one of the deepest
rosters in the NFL, as we saw when Welker went down. They have
re-tooled about 2/3's of their roster in the last two seasons with
young talent the way Belichick is known for. They are younger than
us, and as our records show, still better than us.
Old 01-05-2010   #11
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
In a league where nearly half the teams qualify for the playoffs, I think this team should be in the mix. Makes me ill thinking about starting another playoff tournament and the Texans are off ice fishing somewhere. I think the Chargers are the best team in the league right now. The Patriots and Colts have great drafts and outstanding scouting so they are always right up there but I'd include the Steelers. Every franchise has off seasons but if you look at their history, they are clearly one of the modern day NFL elite franchises and they will plug their holes.
I agree , but how many times do you think the Texans would have made the playoffs if they were in the AFC west feasting on the Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos.
or the AFC east feasting on the Dolphins, Bills, Jets (until this year).

instead we are stuck in a division with Peyton "Jesus is handling my job for now" Manning. The very consistant solid Titans led by fisher. (They still suck BA) and the sometimes good sometimes bad Jags. All of the teams in our Div are not cellar dwellars. It is easy to be Elite when you play with the top of the NFL draft every year.

and dont get me started on NFC west.

by the way....Correct me if I am wrong but isnt KC and St. Louis farther east than us? and closer to Indy? How is Indy in the south? NFL divisions make no geographical sense
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I'd have to disagree with you here. They have one of the deepest
rosters in the NFL, as we saw when Welker went down. They have
re-tooled about 2/3's of their roster in the last two seasons with
young talent the way Belichick is known for. They are younger than
us, and as our records show, still better than us.
I didn't say that we were better than them. Of course the Pats are better than us. I'm just saying that as it stands now, I believe that only the Colts and the Chargers could be considered Elite teams. Pats could come back next year and be in that group. And the Pats do have a young group but they can't seem to win on the road. Those young players are also going through growing pains.

But If you wanna talk about the whole decade, then there is no discussion. Pats are #1 by far.

Last edited by stingray; 01-05-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2010   #13
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think you can have this discussion without talking about the Eagles. I think they fit in right among the best of tier 2. The saints are not far behind, same with the Vikes. There are still a lot of teams clearly better than us.

EDIT: Sorry, I think you are just talking about AFC
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read