Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010   #1
buddyboy
All Pro
 
buddyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 835
Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Chris Meyers Argument

I've seen a few people throughout the season whine and complain about how Chris Meyers was playing.

And I'll say this: Chris Meyers' play needs to improve, especially at the point of attack and in goalline situations.

HOWEVER, the question I want to ask is this: is it a knock on Kubiak that he kept Meyers as a starter? Was there REALLY a better option than Meyers? He played Caldwell for a while and I didn't see a marked improvement.

Time and time again people would complain about how Meyers wasn't replaced. My second question is this: Who would and could have realistically replaced Meyers and significantly improved the team?
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,989
Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Meyers?

Chris Myers sucks, period end of discussion......and Kubiak and Co. get the blame for not finding a better option and allowing that guy be the starter here for the last 2 seasons. He's a back up, would be a excellent back up, but we need a starter.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #3
buddyboy
All Pro
 
buddyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 835
Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Meyers?

Chris Myers sucks, period end of discussion......and Kubiak and Co. get the blame for not finding a better option and allowing that guy be the starter here for the last 2 seasons. He's a back up, would be a excellent back up, but we need a starter.
Ok, so your argument is Chris Meyers sucks and he should have found a better option.

Who? I'm honestly curious. What player out there in FA or on our team should we have gotten to play? I don't want just "Chris Meyers sucks" responses. I want an intelligent post with backup.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,989
Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Ok, so your argument is Chris Meyers sucks and he should have found a better option.

Who? I'm honestly curious. What player out there in FA or on our team should we have gotten to play? I don't want just "Chris Meyers sucks" responses. I want an intelligent post with backup.
It's not my job to do player personnel. There's plenty of places to find another center......teams do it every year. It's called FA and the draft. You might want to invest more than a 3rd round pick to address one of the weakest links on your football team.

and his name is not Meyers.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 5,803
Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Matt Birk was a FA and has played extremely well for the Ravens this season.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #6
ArlingtonTexan
Moderator
 
ArlingtonTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 6,067
Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Myers' (not Meyers) mental and technical skills are fine, but he has legitimate physical limitations that keep in the bottom portion of starting centers in the NFL.

This is a nice way of saying that he has too many times where the NG/DT totally blows him off the line of scrimmage.
__________________
It doesn't just seem like I was talking down to people, I was. (Runner 8/4/09).
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American
 
eriadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,617
Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

They never really gave Caldwell a shot at center. He's the type of center we need, but they were sold on Myers from the beginning because of the ZBS. Caldwell showed OK at RG, but that wasn't his position. So now he has some experience somewhere besides C, which is good, but I'd rather see the guy firing off the line in the middle.
__________________
A real MVP contributes in all phases of the game.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2010   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 36,252
Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
This is a nice way of saying that he has too many times where the NG/DT totally blows him off the line of scrimmage.
Bull shit.

Chris Myers is what he is. He isn't going to get any better & we've got players on this squad with more upside. I think he will, & should be replaced with Caldwell next season. I bet Caldwell will be the starting center going into training camp.

But it's not because he gets blown off the LOS with NG/DT, not even in short yardage situations.

Kubiak has his starting lineup. Brown, Studdard, Caldwell, White, & Winston, & we're going to see what Alex Gibbs has done every where else he's been.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #9
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 5,803
Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Studdard better not be starting next season.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #10
DexmanC
Hall of Fame
 
DexmanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,861
Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Myers has had a signature play in each of the last two Texans' openers.
Ironically, it's both years he's been a starter for us, since replacing
Steve Mckinney.

Opening Day 2008:
In the redzone, Casey Hampton of the Steelers picks up
Chris Myers, and THROWS HIM into Steve Slaton.

Opening Day 2009:
Kris Jenkins of the Jets PIMPSLAPS Myers aside and
WALKS clean into Matt Schaub completely unabated.

We've had two clear signs that this kid needs to go. When
we need a tough yard, he's a liability. Between the 20's, he's
awesome.
__________________
Coach O'Brien just might lead the Texans to their first 35-0 thumping of a decent opponent in 2014.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #11
DiehardChris
You betcha!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Back in Houston
Posts: 3,808
Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Pimpslap is putting it kindly, LOL. That was like getting hit in the face with a brick. One of the funniest and saddest moments of the year.

It actually made me pine for a dominant NT more than a center, heh.
__________________

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame
 
m5kwatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,970
Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Myers may/will be replaced but Caldwell isn't the solution there, he's going to be a guard. He's worked mostly at guard since being a Texan and they clearly don't trust him snapping the ball for whatever reason, maybe he's not as keen to picking up blitzes as Myers, I don't know. But Caldwell's future is at right guard from the looks of things.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #13
keyser
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,300
Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

As for alternatives to Myers, I'm pretty sure Unger was available in the 2nd round last year. My first round choice (Oher instead of Cushing) might not have been an ideal choice, but I'm pretty sure we would have been better off with Unger instead of Barwin (at least this year).
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame
 
Corrosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Houston
Age: 46
Posts: 31,881
Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I've seen a few people throughout the season whine and complain about how Chris Meyers was playing.

And I'll say this: Chris Meyers' play needs to improve, especially at the point of attack and in goalline situations.

HOWEVER, the question I want to ask is this: is it a knock on Kubiak that he kept Meyers as a starter? Was there REALLY a better option than Meyers? He played Caldwell for a while and I didn't see a marked improvement.

Time and time again people would complain about how Meyers wasn't replaced. My second question is this: Who would and could have realistically replaced Meyers and significantly improved the team?
Good centers are hard to find - I have been critical of Meyers' play especially over this last season but I dont think the Texans had a better option available.
The OL as a unit was pretty beat up over the course of the season with three of the five starters sustaining injuries at one point or another - Along with two TE's ending up with season ending injuries - Only Meyers and Winston escaped the injury bug. Thats a pretty tough pill for any team to swallow.

Pass blocking wasnt horrible statistically but Schaub took a lot of un-neccessary hits and was often hurried , Sack numbers were acceptable but I believe that is attributable more to Schaub getting rid of the ball quickly than to great protection. It could improve -

What hurt this offense most was the inability to get a push in short yardage situations. They didnt run block very well even when they had their starters and it starts in the middle. That has to improve next season for this team to take the next step. To be able to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows they want to do so.

Who better than Meyers ? I dont believe they had a better option available this season. They will have to address both C and G via draft or FA this offseason - Its almost mandatory that they improve the interior line play.

I havent gone over potential FA's or combed thru the numerous draft elegible players just yet so I have no answer as to who they could target. There are many underclassmen who could declare as well. Things will shake out over the next month or so and we can start looking at guy's to improve these vital needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
As for alternatives to Myers, I'm pretty sure Unger was available in the 2nd round last year. My first round choice (Oher instead of Cushing) might not have been an ideal choice, but I'm pretty sure we would have been better off with Unger instead of Barwin (at least this year).
Hindsight is always 20/20 .... But it doesnt solve the problems this team has in the interior.
__________________



I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #15
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 34
Posts: 7,830
Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Last year would've been the year to draft a true C. Both Unger and Alex Mack have looked solid for their respective teams.
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #16
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor
 
ATXtexanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: leander, tx
Age: 37
Posts: 3,498
Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Myers has to be replaced by a FA. Don't see kubiak trusting a rookie in the opener. Unless we use a 1st rd pick on one and I don't see that happening either.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #17
bckey
Hall of Fame
 
bckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 54
Posts: 2,332
Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Last year would've been the year to draft a true C. Both Unger and Alex Mack have looked solid for their respective teams.
I was pimping Alex Mack all the way up to the draft. But I have to say I'm extremely happy with Cushing.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #18
playa465
Site Contributor
 
playa465's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,085
Rep Power: 34069 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Opening Day 2009:
Kris Jenkins of the Jets PIMPSLAPS Myers aside and
WALKS clean into Matt Schaub completely unabated.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ9lYyj4uQ

Can you imagine what a QB thinks when he sees a monster like that headed his way? Unfortunately we don't have a better option yet. Centers are extremely important to the line especially with blitz pickups and rookie centers tend to struggle with that aspect. But geez we have got to improve that position by any means necessary. Anyone know if there are any free agent centers hitting the market that are worth looking at?
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Age: 28
Posts: 7,648
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

Myers is a competent pass blocker with a good command of the line.

{/Good things about Myers}

This team desperately, desperately needs some big, powerful, nasty interior lineman to pick up the run/short yardage game. Myers is none of those. He's never done anything impressive and gets railed for the 4 or so gigantic mistakes he's made in his time here. Maybe that's not fair, maybe dude just isn't a very good C.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,260
Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chris Meyers Argument

They need to draft a big fat boy center and develop him.

John McClain has said on his blog that Myers has been playing with a high ankle sprain all year and that's been his problem.

I don't know much about that but that's just what he said.

Personally I think the guy is sub-par.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger