Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Faggins inks multiyear contract

With this signing, 1 thing is readily apparent: much less likely we draft a CB
with top pick.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3060256
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #2
Paragon Blue
Veteran

I think this was a move that we had to make. Faggins did a great job for us last year.
Paragon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #3
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

That is some really good news. I hope we resign Mcree. We need the depth at FS. When I read the Texans article that was posted it made me think we will be working more diligently to develop our younger players. I hope that approach works for Glenn Earl. We need a SS that can hit and cover. Once again I think Faggins will be more dedicated now that he has a contract.

Last edited by rittenhouserobz; 02-28-2005 at 10:57 AM.
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
with top pick.
Sorry, I don't see it that way. Faggins is a good signing and a VERY good nickle back, but IMO he isn't really a starting level NFL CB. Can he do in a pinch...sure, but eventually he would be a liablity. I still think there is a fairly high probability that we take one of the top CB's with the 13 pick. Glenn's age is the issue and where we would be picking at after this year. Most top level CB's are taken in the 1st round and usually pretty early. If we have a season like I think most of us are expecting, we will not be drafting this high for sometime to come and need to grab a top relacement for Glenn now. Is DL/OL a more immediate need, probably, but good guys will be there in the second and third rounds. Could we find a starting CB in those round....sure, but it is a lot less likely than finding a lineman.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #5
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Where you are draft doesn't mean well play at that level, a perfect example is the Patriots they won the super bowl with a 2nd and 3rd round draft picks as their starting CBs. And with the rules being enforced for contact after five yards a passrush is more important to keep the pressure off the CBs.
Old 02-28-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
with top pick.
Most NFL teams like to go into the draft with no real holes in the roster so that they do not find themselves reaching for 'need' over talent. I don't think this has anything to do with finding Glenn's eventual replacement. Faggins is a nice talent we found in the later rounds but this just falls in line with our team's overall philopophy of drafting and developing our own players instead of a steady habit of paying over-inflated market prices for somebody else's picks. He is the kind of guy you need as a quality reserve and a pinch starter but you don't avoid a highly rated corner at the 13th pick just because you have Demarcus Faggins on the roster.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #7
wiley2002
Veteran

I'm glad Faggins is back. He will be great in the nickle position. As far as Glenn's replacement, I'm going to go with CC on this. He's the draft guru. Make the Texans proud sir!
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2005   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

resigning faggins and ioune were smart moves...dispite what you think of either one of them...they are young, up and coming players who may not be starters but fit well in our rotation type defense...faggins imo is a lot better than what some teams have starting at cornerback i.e. dallas and arizona
Old 02-28-2005   #9
Gilly
Rookie

Default Faggins

I like the move alot. He plays hard and steps up when he is needed. plus I feel he could be the long term replacement for Glenn.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Most NFL teams like to go into the draft with no real holes in the roster so that they do not find themselves reaching for 'need' over talent.
I would never dis the concept of drafting the BPA and realize it is the wise way to go for a long-term philosophy to build and improve talent on your team.So let me put it this way by way of a hypothetical, if the BPAs @ 13 are a CB & DL, for us the DL is "first among equals" because of the Faggins signing and we have a > need for DLineman.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree except for the notion that Faggins is a starter quality player. If you are picking at 13 you are not looking to replace a guy like Faggins who is the 3rd CB on the team. You are projecting someone to play CB1 or CB2 at 13. If all is equal it is silly not to pick a player at a need spot, so I am not debating that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #12
SESupergenius

I like the draft philosophy of picking the Best player available only in the 1st round. After that then you go after depth and needs. I'm glad we stuck with Faggins, he had some excellent coverage on many plays last year.
Old 02-28-2005   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Jerry Deloach DL
Moran Norris FB
Seth Payne NT
Dashon Polk LB

These are the guys that I really want to see back next year. Keep in mind we already re-signed Ioane, and now Faggins.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #14
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Why would you say that Faggins isnt our long term answer? He had more ints than Aaron Glenn had last year, AND one for a TD. He didnt give up very many big plays at all and he has exceptional speed and coverage ability. I see no reason why he couldnt be the long term answer.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #15
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
Why would you say that Faggins isnt our long term answer? He had more ints than Aaron Glenn had last year
From the Chronicle:

Quote:
He had a career-high 37 tackles and tied for third on the team behind Robinson (six) and Aaron Glenn (five) with three interceptions, including a 43-yarder he returned for a touchdown against Jacksonville.
By the way Faggins has progressed year to year...I could see him as a starting cornerback. But for now, he's a very solid #3 cornerback.
Excellent move by the Texans.

Last edited by TEXANS84; 02-28-2005 at 04:41 PM.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #16
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

He didnt have more INTs than Glenn... you are mistaken.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #17
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
By the way Faggins has progressed year to year...I could see him as a starting cornerback. But for now, he's a very solid #3 cornerback.
Excellent move by the Texans.
Exactly how I see him. I see him being a #2 at his peak, but he's a fine player as a nickle.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

on a similar note...houstonprofootball.com is announcing that d. polk was resigned today to a 1 year vet. minimum contract
Old 02-28-2005   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
with top pick.
may be right with the top pick, maybe we go with 2nd pick on CB being glenn has 2 years left (I think) maybe Webster with 2nd round so he can develop and learn from Glenn and then take Daunte's spot.(being Daunte will be taking over Glenn as #1)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Great news! Faggins is a great nb and backup cb. He might crack the #2 cb spot someday.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read