Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2010   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is it OK to not be happy.........

I'm used to getting ripped for strong opinions and being a Dallas fan.

I'm not trying to be negative but I can't be happy about 9-7. Maybe I have a different mind set but when people were asked what to expect this year it seemed many said 10-6 or 11-5. Yet now the city seems giddy at 9-7. It seems like Groundhog Day of the "we finished strong, next year will rock" mentality. I mean it is great to hit a milestone but is it good enough? When Kubiak was hired, if someone told you the Texans would get to 9-7 after 4 years would you be happy? As I've said 50 times I think there needs to be a new standard in place. The new standard should be that of franchises like the Colts, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. Playoffs or bust. In the dance or disappointment. I still get concerned that with one game to make it the team didn't wake up until about 13 minutes left in the game. This has been a problem all year. Maybe it all gets fixed. I just don't like celebrating ok...which is 9-7

Don't get mad at me.....just the way I see it.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-04-2010 at 09:40 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #2
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Is it OK to not be happy.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm used to getting ripped for strong opinions and being a Dallas fan.

I'm not trying to be negative but I can't be happy about 9-7. Maybe I have a different mind set but when people were asked what to expect this year it seemed many said 10-6 or 11-5. Yet now the city seems giddy at 9-7. It seems like Groundhog Day of the "we finished strong, next year will rock" mentality. I mean it is great to hit a milestone but is it good enough? When Kubiak was hired, if someone told you would get to 9-7 after 4 years would you be happy? As I've said 50 times I think there needs to be a new standard in place. The new standard should be that of franchises like the Colts, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. Playoffs or bust. In the dance or disappointment. I still get concerned that with one game to make it the team didn't wake up until about 13 minutes left in the game. This has been a problem all year. Maybe it all gets fixed. I just don't like celebrating ok...which is 9-7

Don't get mad at me.....just the way I see it.
100% agree, my biggest dissapointment this year besides our kicker has to be Mario, he needs to step it up big time next year. We need a pass rush BADLY..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #3
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Well, my predication at the beginning of the year was 9 - 7, but being right doesn't make me happy. So many opportunities wasted this year, and when this team should have stepped up, it fail on it's face. But I'm a masochist, being a fan of any team in Houston makes us that way. I'll keep my hopes alive for next year, and a dramatic turn-around
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've already made my feelings pretty clear these past few weeks. I'm happy for our first winning season, but unhappy on what could have been, if that makes sense.

We failed to take care of business coming off our bye week and it cost us a sure spot in the post season.

In the end, rather than going through another coaching change, I'm giving Kubiak one last shot. I like the guy and pray to the good Lord that he's the one that can make this team a consistent winner for Houston and it's fans.
Old 01-04-2010   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've already made my feelings pretty clear these past few weeks. I'm happy for our first winning season, but unhappy on what could have been, if that makes sense.

We failed to take care of business coming off our bye week and it cost us a sure spot in the post season.

In the end, rather than going through another coaching change, I'm giving Kubiak one last shot. I like the guy and pray to the good Lord that he's the one that can make this team a consistent winner for Houston and it's fans.
Rep. I agree. 9-7 gives him a 5th year. But no excuses. The schedule sets up with some difficult games. The talk of expectations has to be real this year.
Old 01-04-2010   #6
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
my biggest dissapointment this year besides our kicker has to be Mario, he needs to step it up big time next year. We need a pass rush BADLY..
We should rename him Mari-O-Round, the guy 99% of the time takes the wide arc rush approach. I guess if we had pressure in the middle from Amobi and Cody, he would flush the QB into their arms. All I do know, getting behind the QB on just about every play shows you can apply pressure, but eventually you have to apply pressure intelligently.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not happy, but definitely not as upset had we lost yesterday. To think our offense is where its at... DESPITE having zero running game this year gives me very high hopes for our future. Especially with our D coming into form.

I predicted 9 wins this year, and we hit that mark. I never knew if it was going to be enough to get in or not. Regardless... 6 wins, 8 wins, 8 wins, and now 9 wins. The arrow is pointing up people.

Next year is definitely the year its playoffs or BUST.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2010   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. I thought it was just me. Yesterday, out at the bar watching the afternoon games, I was happy and excited and celebrating with my friends, but, deep down, something was nagging at me.

It was nagging at me when I got home last night, and it nagged me as I was sleeping. And it nagged me this morning. I'm happy for the win, but, for some reason, something about the Texans season feels unsatisfactory to me. It's this dull, knawing feeling that I can't shake.

I'll take 9-7 and what that entails, but, something about this season has left me feeling cold.

Of course, I also have the season ticket issue hanging over my head like an anvil. I wonder how much McNair is going to raise prices AGAIN.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #9
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm not that happy with 9-7 either.........we could of ended up so much better.....but I am happy we had a shot
Old 01-04-2010   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Rep. I agree. 9-7 gives him a 5th year. But no excuses. The schedule sets up with some difficult games. The talk of expectations has to be real this year.
Heck, it was real to me this year. LOL. That's why I've been such a pessimist since that dadgum MNF game against the titans. I truly expected a shot in the playoffs this season, without having to rely on other teams.

Once again, our off-season has begun and it darn well better be a good one. I expect to be a shoe-in for the playoffs next season. We deserve it, dadgummit!!
Old 01-04-2010   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Heck, it was real to me this year. LOL. That's why I've been such a pessimist since that dadgum MNF game against the titans. I truly expected a shot in the playoffs this season, without having to rely on other teams.

Once again, our off-season has begun and it darn well better be a good one. I expect to be a shoe-in for the playoffs next season. We deserve it, dadgummit!!
Well that is one reason I wrote this. I remember people having this conversation before last season. "No more expansion, time to step up." Yet it didn't happen again. I also was disappointed to see McNair talk about how great it was because of "injuries, etc." I hate the excuses.
Old 01-04-2010   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I basically laid off my bad attitude, yesterday, to not be a pain in the rear to everyohe else on this board.

I took my "Good little boy" pills and was as cheery as could be.

Once we missed two FGs and an extra point, then found ourselves down by 14, I completely banned myself from the board for the rest of the game. I still watched the game, but I never ONCE believed that we'd end up winning it. I figured someone would screw it up somehow.

And that's where I'm at on this very day for how I think 2010 will go: Somehow, there will be enough "suckage" for this team to still manage to lose enough games that we're hoping and praying on the last weekend of the season.

I just don't see the killer instinct in Kubiak, and I think head coaches in the NFL are solely responsible for that type of attitude. The great coaches have this demeanor about them that you KNOW they can ride through the gates of hell and come back clean as a whistle. Some of those do it in short bursts and are gone quickly (Dungy, for example), and some have long legacies of being great (Bilichick is a current example). Regardless of the window of time, there exists a great coach who had the right mix for the right team.

I just don't see it with Kubiak.

The abismal divisional record tells me he does not know how to overcome a known foe, even after having 24 shots at those teams. 6 divisional games a year, multiplied by 4 years, is 24 divisional games. This year's record against our KNOWN FOES was 1-6. There was no big, wide, sweeping changes made by any of those rivals.

Gary Kubiak is great at tinkering with things behind the scenes. I can't deny that he took a pretty stale offense and has really made it into a good one.

But I have zero confidence in his ability to actually find strategies that out-fox the opponent from week-to-week. And you know what? That's going to put the players in a tough situation.

Love this team, but the head coach is not good enough.
Old 01-04-2010   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

That nagging feeling is called "1-5."

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #14
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55805 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I know what you are saying, but sometimes it's the journey and not the destination that gives us the greatest satisfaction. We can be happy with progress, with incremental steps while lamenting all of the lost opportunities and issues that still exist. I don't see it as the either/or proposition that you seem to be pushing here. It seems you are proposing that those of us who are happy are satisifed. There is a difference. One can be happy at the first time accomplishments of the team - first winning record, best O, best D etc, while being ultimately dissatisifed by the wasted opportunities. This team could have had an 11-12 win season but for a few kicks and bounces... easily so, with not a stretch at all. You say your not happy with 9-7? What were your feelings with 4-12?
Old 01-04-2010   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I basically laid off my bad attitude, yesterday, to not be a pain in the rear to everyohe else on this board.

I took my "Good little boy" pills and was as cheery as could be.

Once we missed two FGs and an extra point, then found ourselves down by 14, I completely banned myself from the board for the rest of the game. I still watched the game, but I never ONCE believed that we'd end up winning it. I figured someone would screw it up somehow.

And that's where I'm at on this very day for how I think 2010 will go: Somehow, there will be enough "suckage" for this team to still manage to lose enough games that we're hoping and praying on the last weekend of the season.

I just don't see the killer instinct in Kubiak, and I think head coaches in the NFL are solely responsible for that type of attitude. The great coaches have this demeanor about them that you KNOW they can ride through the gates of hell and come back clean as a whistle. Some of those do it in short bursts and are gone quickly (Dungy, for example), and some have long legacies of being great (Bilichick is a current example). Regardless of the window of time, there exists a great coach who had the right mix for the right team.

I just don't see it with Kubiak.

The abismal divisional record tells me he does not know how to overcome a known foe, even after having 24 shots at those teams. 6 divisional games a year, multiplied by 4 years, is 24 divisional games. This year's record against our KNOWN FOES was 1-6. There was no big, wide, sweeping changes made by any of those rivals.

Gary Kubiak is great at tinkering with things behind the scenes. I can't deny that he took a pretty stale offense and has really made it into a good one.

But I have zero confidence in his ability to actually find strategies that out-fox the opponent from week-to-week. And you know what? That's going to put the players in a tough situation.

Love this team, but the head coach is not good enough.

I agree. Yeah, I think it's the divisional performance that nags at me. We should know those teams backwards and forwards, yet we do not. Meanwhile, they certainly know us well.

I just don't understand how someone can do poorly on 90 percent of his job - the divisional games - and still be considered a good coach.

And, people are underestimating the potential schedule next year. It's going to be rough. Then again, that'll just set us up for the "but we had a tough schedule" excuse.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #16
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is perfectly fine to not be happy because personally i feel the Texans played much better this year than a 9-7 team. The first winning season is a accomplishment but this team is better then that and choked in close games. This team couldve eaisly been 11-5 and the playoffs wouldnt have even been a question.
Old 01-04-2010   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
That nagging feeling is called "1-5."
Ugh! QFT!

Two against the Jags!
Old 01-04-2010   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I know what you are saying, but sometimes it's the journey and not the destination that gives us the greatest satisfaction. We can be happy with progress, with incremental steps while lamenting all of the lost opportunities and issues that still exist. I don't see it as the either/or proposition that you seem to be pushing here. It seems you are proposing that those of us who are happy are satisifed. There is a difference. One can be happy at the first time accomplishments of the team - first winning record, best O, best D etc, while being ultimately dissatisifed by the wasted opportunities. This team could have had an 11-12 win season but for a few kicks and bounces... easily so, with not a stretch at all. You say your not happy with 9-7? What were your feelings with 4-12?
I actually wasn't trying to make it an indictment on a faction here or certain posters. It was more what I heard city wide driving to work and yesterday. A contentment citywide that "one more year" will get it done. I heard it last year too. That is what bothers me. People have short memories on the feelings from past years. After awhile you are just piling up "one more years."
Old 01-04-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ugh! QFT!

Two against the Jags!
So much for the 'ol "we own the Jags" talk. We're 8-8 lifetime.
Old 01-04-2010   #20
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

its a weird feeling this morning...im pumped we got our 1st winning season. Last year I would have been happy with this outcome, but after seeing all the wasted opportunities all i can think about today is what if. What if we started the season prepared, what if we won one more game (preferably in our division)....

overall i'm happy but ik i could have been happier

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read