Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2010   #1
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re-Analyzing The Draft

Brian Cushing: A+ : The guy is a stud and he and Pollard have added a nasty demanor to our D. A Pro Bowler in his first year says it all.

Connor Barwin: C : The guy was a project when we drafted him and hasnt done much this year but the plays he has made make you guy "That guy has some nice skills."

I dont know if he'll ever be a great player but he's shown enough flashes to make you excited to see his progress next year. Mario didnt explode until year 2.

Antoine Caldwell: C : It took him a while to get playing time but he's been pretty good in his chances. With more experience could be a solid starter or at worst good back-up.

Glover Quin : B : Never heard of the guy until we took him but he has been very good. He's got ballhawk skills and i think would be a great free safety if given the chance.

He put Fred Bennett on the bench which makes me want to give him an A based on that alone.

Anthony Hill: D- : Barely saw the field never made an impact when he did. He could turn out to be a good blocker or he could be cut.

James Casey: C- : Showed flashes as a pass catcher but wasnt used very much and i put that on Kubiak especially when we need a pass catching TE when OD went out. Like his talent though and along with Barwin i cant wait to see his progress next year.

Brice McCain: B : Performed very well for a 6th rounder and could be a really good nickel corner. His speed help makes up for his lack of height.

Troy Nolan: Incomplete : Got hurt and went on IR. Curious to see him next year.

Thoughts?
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-Analyzing The Draft

Barwin has done a lot more than not much.

A lot of this class has been hampered by injury - hard to judge.
Old 01-03-2010   #3
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Very solid class and they all pretty much contributed to the success of the team. The front office is drafting well and i hope they do an even better job in the 2010 NFL draft.
Old 01-03-2010   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Barwin and Caldwell are both B's.

Barwin has played a lot of snaps and he's improved as the season has gone along. He's done some good work on special teams. With an addition or two, our d-line could be really stellar next year.

Caldwell has also played quite a bit. I expected him to come in and challenge Myers for the starting C spot and be better than he was but I think he's played pretty well at RG. I expect him to be a starter next year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I expected of Barwin he gets a B+ if not a A-.......everytime the guy has been put on the field he has made plays or in the action. A "C" grade is kinda tough, can't fault the kid for not being given the opportunity to make more plays than he has. He makes them more often than not when given the chance and he has made some BIG plays this season.

All our defensive rookies (Cushing, Barwin, and Quinn) get solid to great grades........even McCain for where he was drafted.

Very VERY solid class. This will be the class that we point to where the defense started to turn it around. Second best draft class in our short history I think........another one like this and we'll be a perennial playoff team.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #6
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I would give Barwin a B with his 3.5 sacks. He seemed to get better all year in only his second year as a DE. I still see hm as a player. Caldwell will also be a starter in the future. I really want to see what they can do with Casey.

I would still give us an A to A- overall.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith and co are good at what they do.

Can't wait to see what pieces they add this off season.
Old 01-04-2010   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 213448 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Frank Bush went to the mat for Brian Cushing. That was his guy and he deserves credit. Getting an All Pro like Cushing automatically makes this a good draft.
Old 01-04-2010   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I still dont get the two TE picks back to back

And we hardly never used them IMO well not that i know off
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #10
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

Considering our pro bowl starting TE went down and the first of the two drafted TEs went down I'd say it looks like a stroke of genius in hindsight. Depth is not a bad thing, both of those guys have talent. I won't be surprised to see Casey outlast Hill though if you want to nitpick.
Old 01-04-2010   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

Hill was our replacement for Bruener, i.e. a blocking TE. He was inactive most of the time because of an abundance of TEs, and then he was injured and put on IR. Incomplete grade, IMO. Plus, most folks will never grade a blocking TE correctly.

Casey just fell to them, and with the versatility, they felt like they had to take him. Casey is the kind of guy the Patriots draft. It's an outstanding pick, IMO, and Casey did a lot of things late in the season that don't show up on the stat sheet, but increase his equity with the coaching staff and fellow players.
Old 01-04-2010   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quinn has had a solid year.
Old 01-04-2010   #13
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 137 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cush+Quin+Pollard = melikey
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quinn gets an A+ IMO
Old 01-04-2010   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Hill was our replacement for Bruener, i.e. a blocking TE. He was inactive most of the time because of an abundance of TEs, and then he was injured and put on IR. Incomplete grade, IMO. Plus, most folks will never grade a blocking TE correctly.

Casey just fell to them, and with the versatility, they felt like they had to take him. Casey is the kind of guy the Patriots draft. It's an outstanding pick, IMO, and Casey did a lot of things late in the season that don't show up on the stat sheet, but increase his equity with the coaching staff and fellow players.
Hill replaced our inactive TE. Sweet and Casey is the kind of player the Patriots PLAY. Those 2 picks still make me wonder.

Cushing A+
Barwin B+
Caldwell C
Quin A
Hill D
Casey C
McCain B
Nolan IR
Foster B

I gave Foster a B for "Better"....than Chris Brown. Overall that's a nice, solid draft. Can't wait to see what they do in the next one
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing A+ The playmaking presence we needed in the front 7.
Barwin C project player who performed about as I expected
Caldwell D 3rd round interior lineman who wasn't head and shoulders better than Studdard or White.
Quin C Played well for where he was drafted, but is wildly overrated by the fans.
Hill F I don't know what they were thinking.
Casey D For a guy people were talking about as a first day pick this guy was invisible.
McCain C Not the worst corner ever.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #17
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Barwin did better than a C. He got some sacks and pressured the QB. Considering it is only his 2nd season playing DE and he's only a rookie, I like what I see.

I also would grade Casey a little higher than C-. He made some plays when given the opportunity, but he isn't where he needs to be as a blocker and that's why he's not a bigger part of the offense at this point. At least that's my opinion. He was a 5th round pick and for what he did do I wouldn't grade him as below average.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #18
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Hill was the only player with a subpar grade. I expect some playing time out of a 4th rounder. I expected him to catch passes, not the swine flu.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read