Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2010   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why Gary Kubiak should be extended

I said should be extended. Not deserves to be extended. Let me elaborate:

1) Respect for Authority - An organization needs to stand behind its head coach. That tells the players that they will be held responsible and accountable for the team's success. The head coach has to be the alpha dog. And the pack works better knowing who their leader is.

2) Organizational Stability - Not in the schematic sense that has been argued for. That is overrated. As an organization, it will be easier to keep employees, and attract new ones, if the team projects stability. A long term contract for the leader of the team projects that commitment and stability.

3) Planning for the Future - Most people work better without someone looking over their shoulder. It is more likely that a head coach will do what is in the long-term best interests of the organization, if they believe they will be a part of the organization in the future.

We will never know how close Gary Kubiak came to being fired. What we do know is that he will be the Houston Texans head coach in 2010. Therefore, he must be given the trust and authority to command this team. Coaching on a lame duck contract (his current deal ends after the 2010 season), would undermine that authority and revoke the trust. Assistant coaches who could leave this offseason, would. Possible free agents would look at more stable situations. Chaos on the team would prevail, if adversity hits during the season. It's a no win situation.

Now, in no way should a contract extension bind Gary Kubiak to this team, if they fail to meet the organizational goals. If Bob McNair has to eat the contract, so be it. But, the perception of the organization has to indicate that Gary Kubiak is in total command. That can only happen with a contract extension.

Last edited by Lucky; 01-03-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Lucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why Gary Kubiak should be extended

It seems to be premature. I'd think Bob would hate himself for extending a coach if he watched him go 0-4 in September. A lot of coaches have gotten mid-season extensions and I think that could also work for Kubiak's current term in Houston.

They play well to start give him an extension and you don't feel as bad about having to eat it later.
Old 01-03-2010   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can buy into that philosphy for sure. It makes a lot of sense to have stability from the employee and employer standpoint.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I said should be extended. Not deserves to be extended. Let me elaborate:

1) Respect for Authority - An organization needs to stand behind its head coach. That tells the players that they will be held responsible and accountable for the team's success. The head coach has to be the alpha dog. And the pack works better knowing who their leader is.

2) Organizational Stability - Not in the schematic sense that has been argued for. That is overrated. As an organization, it will be easier to keep employees, and attract new ones, if the team projects stability. A long term contract for the leader of the team projects that commitment and stability.

3) Planning for the Future - Most people work better without someone looking over their shoulder. It is more likely that a head coach will do what is in the long-term best interests of the organization, if they believe they will be a part of the organization in the future.

We will never know how close Gary Kubiak came to being fired. What we do know is that he will be the Houston Texans head coach in 2010. Therefore, he must be given the trust and authority to command this team. Coaching on a lame duck contract (his current deal ends after the 2010 season), would undermine that authority and revoke the trust. Assistant coaches who could leave this offseason, would. Possible free agents would look at more stable situations. Chaos on the tam would prevail, if adversity hits during the season. It's a no win situation.

Now, in no way should a contract extension bind Gary Kubiak to this team, if they fail to meet the organizational goals. If Bob McNair has to eat the contract, so be it. But, the perception of the organization has to indicate that Gary Kubiak is in total command. That can only happen with a contract extension.
I respectfully disagree and I agree with 99% of what you say. Make him earn the extension. 9-7 isn't a massive jump from 2 8-8s. You gave him 5 years. I'm all for Year 5 now but there is still alot to be said for how this team responds under pressure in mid-season. I think they could be on the right track but the bolded above is why I'm afraid of your scenario. I think Bob hangs on, not cuts bait when it comes to cash. I think at some point you have to show that minor improvements while having some of the same mistakes won't cut it. See how he reacts in the pressure cooker. That is what happens in the playoffs, etc. It would be a situation where you would get the URGENCY that I think has been lacking the last 2 years. A higher standard must be reached.

Great post though
Old 01-03-2010   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the OP. He should be extended for the reasons listed.

But I stress this: The team must be ready to eat the contract if it is the same old, stale story of woulda coulda near misses next year.
Old 01-03-2010   #6
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the problem as long as McNair is willing to fire him (if necessary) and pay the rest of the contract out.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lucky,

Are you drunk?

Kubes should be forced to coach with whatever time he has left. If he only has one year to coach, so be it.

You want us to give him a long extension so he'll be more comfortable making decisions for ONE year?

F--k that. He has had four freaking years. Most coaches would KILL for that. He should be grateful he's getting one more year, because he sure as **** don't deserve it.

Gary has had a long enough leash.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

I'd like to give kudos to Lucky. He clearly didn't want Kubiak back. I was on the fence leaning one more year. But Lucky went out on a limb and said what needs to be done if the decision he wouldn't have made is made - to keep Kubiak. Productive plan rather than just carping.
Old 01-03-2010   #9
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree he earned one more season to prove himself and next season it's playoffs or bust!!!
Old 01-03-2010   #10
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I respectfully disagree and I agree with 99% of what you say. Make him earn the extension. 9-7 isn't a massive jump from 2 8-8s. You gave him 5 years. I'm all for Year 5 now but there is still alot to be said for how this team responds under pressure in mid-season. I think they could be on the right track but the bolded above is why I'm afraid of your scenario. I think Bob hangs on, not cuts bait when it comes to cash. I think at some point you have to show that minor improvements while having some of the same mistakes won't cut it. See how he reacts in the pressure cooker. That is what happens in the playoffs, etc. It would be a situation where you would get the URGENCY that I think has been lacking the last 2 years. A higher standard must be reached.

Great post though
Exactly. Kubiak has BARELY earned a 5th year, and we should EXTEND him!

I don't think so.
Old 01-03-2010   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
See how he reacts in the pressure cooker. That is what happens in the playoffs, etc. It would be a situation where you would get the URGENCY that I think has been lacking the last 2 years.
If it were a player, I would feel the same way. But, a head coach doesn't operate as an individual, in a vacuum. He has an effect on everyone. It's the most important job in the organization. Even more so than QB. You'll see a Super Bowl won on occasion by a mediocre QB. It usually takes a very good head coach to bring in a Lombardi (special exemption to Barry Switzer).

I would love to see Kubiak have to earn his extension. That's just not in the best interests of this team.
Old 01-03-2010   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If it were a player, I would feel the same way. But, a head coach doesn't operate as an individual, in a vacuum. He has an effect on everyone. It's the most important job in the organization. Even more so than QB. You'll see a Super Bowl won on occasion by a mediocre QB. It usually takes a very good head coach to bring in a Lombardi (special exemption to Barry Switzer).

I would love to see Kubiak have to earn his extension. That's just not in the best interests of this team.
My mouth is literally hanging open reading this line. Let's just give him a 50-year contract and let him figure it out, ok?

Wow.
Old 01-03-2010   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I agree he earned one more season to prove himself and next season it's playoffs or bust!!!
I don't think he's earned one more season, and I don't think Lucky does either. I think it is wrong to keep him and expect a dramatic change in the team's fortunes. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

However, the point here is that if the decision is made to leep him, then McNair must extend the contract. Having a coach in a lame duck year is a very clear vote of "no confidence" and will lead to problems during the season. If they don't extend him, they should fire him. As in many decisions, a wishy-washy non-decision of having Kubiak play out the string is the worst option of the three, if the team is committed to winning.
Old 01-03-2010   #14
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Runner I agree with you but what if the texans suck next season and they just gave him an extension of 4 seasons and they play like crap? Now they are on the hook and probably give another season due to the contract and the owner is on the hook and don't want to replace the staff because of money that he will have to give to a new coaching staff as well!!! I say let him play out the contract and if we are above .500 by mid season then extend him.
Old 01-03-2010   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't think he's earned one more season, and I don't think Lucky does either. I think it is wrong to keep him and expect a dramatic change in the team's fortunes. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

However, the point here is that if the decision is made to leep him, then McNair must extend the contract. Having a coach in a lame duck year is a very clear vote of "no confidence" and will lead to problems during the season. If they don't extend him, they should fire him. As in many decisions, a wishy-washy non-decision of having Kubiak play out the string is the worst option of the three, if the team is committed to winning.
No. If the team will run into problems because of Kubiak's "lame duck" status, then that's on Kubiak, and it likely will mean that, yet again, he's screwing up and the team is underperforming.

The ONLY time our players play is when they suspect that Kubiak's job is on the line. I think they should be forced to sweat it out next year and play for their coach, since they CLAIM they love him so much.

You and Lucky want to take the pressure off of Kubiak next year, so he'll relax and do his job. I say screw that. The game IS about pressure. He will just have to do what other coaches do: his job.
Old 01-03-2010   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Runner I agree with you but what if the texans suck next season and they just gave him an extension of 4 seasons and they play like crap? Now they are on the hook and probably give another season due to the contract and the owner is on the hook and don't want to replace the staff because of money that he will have to give to a new coaching staff as well!!! I say let him play out the contract and if we are above .500 by mid season then extend him.
I'd expect a two year extension, of which the team will pay off those same two years after Kubiak has another year of mediocrity. It sucks that the Texans would have to waste that money, but that is what results from retaining a marginal coach for a fifth year. To me, this extension is a necessary evil to cover the bad decision of keeping him.

===============

I am surprised that every person in favor of keeping Kubiak isn't all for an extension. Supposedly he's building the team the right way, this year was a success, next year is the "real" next year for a play-off run, the next coach might not be better - why shouldn't he be extended?
Old 01-03-2010   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

I am surprised that every person in favor of keeping Kubiak isn't all for an extension. Supposedly he's building the team the right way, this year was a success, next year is the "real" next year for a play-off run, the next coach might not be better - why shouldn't he be extended?
My reasons for not extending Kubiak are as follows:

1.) Lame Duck coaches have succeeded in the past (See Coughlin, Tom circa 2007)

2.) Kubiak and Smith are building the team right, but Kubiak's motivational routines are not getting to the players.

3.) Kubiak can still go 0-4 in September contract extension or not. Give him something to shoot for by mid season (an extension).

4.) Any problems Kubiak may have next season will still result in multitudes of fans calling for him to be gone before the season is out. An extension won't make those fans change their minds, and will only cost money in the long run.
Old 01-03-2010   #18
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I agree with this for the same reasons in the original post. Those who disagree must have attended the Ken Lay School of Organizational Management. It is about stability pure and simple. You have to have it in a successful organization.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I agree with this for the same reasons in the original post. Those who disagree must have attended the Ken Lay School of Organizational Management. It is about stability pure and simple. You have to have it in a successful organization.
That's lame. He's getting another year. That's stability. If he earns an extension, he'll get one. If he doesn't, he won't.
Old 01-03-2010   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
My reasons for not extending Kubiak are as follows:

1.) Lame Duck coaches have succeeded in the past (See Coughlin, Tom circa 2007)

2.) Kubiak and Smith are building the team right, but Kubiak's motivational routines are not getting to the players.

3.) Kubiak can still go 0-4 in September contract extension or not. Give him something to shoot for by mid season (an extension).

4.) Any problems Kubiak may have next season will still result in multitudes of fans calling for him to be gone before the season is out. An extension won't make those fans change their minds, and will only cost money in the long run.
Exactly. Rep.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read