Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's post New Years Day Mock

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
RD1 Mike Iupati Idaho- Best interoir OL in the draft,a stud 2nd choice B.Bulaga OT
RD2 Jon Asamoah C-G Ill.- 2nd best interior OL in draft, perfect for the ZBS. I want to finally fix the OL after 8 years of taking short cuts. This gives the Texans a young OL that should be set for the next 8-10 years. 2nd choice R.Mathews RB
RD3 Anthony Dixon RB Miss.St. Big very talented RB,played on a bad team. One of the group from Gerhart,Hardesty,Dixon or B.Tate is going to fall to our spot in the 3rd. I hope it's Dixon.
RD4 Robert Johnson FS Utah-Fast hard hitting S,Good in coverage and has great hands. Will be there due to the depth of S in this class. 2nd choice A.Verner CB UCLA
RD5 Walter McFadden CB Aub.- Good cover CB is very underrated IMO. Brother of Cardinals CB Bryant McFadden. 2nd choice Walter Thurmond CB Oregon
RD6 Kade Weston DT Ga.-Weston didn't get the pub that fellow Ga.DT's Atkins and Owens got but Weston was the best run stuffing DT on the team. IMO 2nd choice Al Woods DT LSU
RD6 Brandon James KR/PR Fla. I want Jones to play the 2nd WR and if he does a KR/PR is a must. James was the best KR/PR in the SEC and is an upgrade in the Kick return game. IMO 2nd choice Terrell Troup DT Cen.Fla.
RD7 Brent Bowden P Va.Tech Great directional P get good hang time,has a strong leg. 2nd choice Rafeal Priest CB TCU

Let the critiques begin

1.This draft will fix the OL
2.Good RB prospect
3.Underrated FS prospect
4.Dynamic return guy
5.P who will be an upgrade and will be cheaper than Turk. The overall ST will be much improved.
6.Young DT prospect ,so I dont have to watch Okam anymore.
7. CB that can play the nickle DB and has potential to do more.

Combine this with getting a DT and a CB in FA and most of the holes are filled.

Last edited:

mussop

Hall of Fame
RD1 Mike Iupati Idaho- Best interoir OL in the draft,a stud 2nd choice B.Bulaga OT
RD2 Jon Asamoah C-G Ill.- 2nd best interior OL in draft, perfect for the ZBS. I want to finally fix the OL after 8 years of taking short cuts. This gives the Texans a young OL that should be set for the next 8-10 years. 2nd choice R.Mathews RB
RD3 Anthony Dixon RB Miss.St. Big very talented RB,played on a bad team. One of the group from Gerhart,Hardesty,Dixon or B.Tate is going to fall to our spot in the 3rd. I hope it's Dixon.
RD4 Robert Johnson FS Utah-Fast hard hitting S,Good in coverage and has great hands. Will be there due to the depth of S in this class. 2nd choice A.Verner CB UCLA
RD5 Walter McFadden CB Aub.- Good cover CB is very underrated IMO. Brother of Cardinals CB Bryant McFadden. 2nd choice Walter Thurmond CB Oregon
RD6 Kade Weston DT Ga.-Weston didn't get the pub that fellow Ga.DT's Atkins and Owens got but Weston was the best run stuffing DT on the team. IMO 2nd choice Al Woods DT LSU
RD6 Brandon James KR/PR Fla. I want Jones to play the 2nd WR and if he does a KR/PR is a must. James was the best KR/PR in the SEC and is an upgrade in the Kick return game. IMO 2nd choice Terrell Troup DT Cen.Fla.
RD7 Brent Bowden P Va.Tech Great directional P get good hang time,has a strong leg. 2nd choice Rafeal Priest CB TCU

Let the critiques begin

2.Good RB prospect
3.Underrated FS prospect
4.Dynamic return guy
5.P who will be an upgrade and will be cheaper than Turk. The overall ST will be much improved.

I like most of it. I wouldnt draft a KR or a Punter though. Im waiting to see where we pick before I do anymore mocks.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Let the critiques begin

2.Good RB prospect
3.Underrated FS prospect
4.Dynamic return guy

I wish you would have posted this list last week. I would have watched the bowl games with these guys in mind.

I'm more inclined to fix the FS problem in the first rd unless we can truly get a stud DT with that pick. First rd picks generally have to start and we need starter caliber talent at FS worse than we do in the O-line - but, admittedly, not by much.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
you've been reading my notes? very good.

I'm not for sure if this in fact the case or not but doesn't it seem at least Gibbs/Texans like thier cuurent OL? While your always looking to upgrade OL history suggests using a 1st rd. pick on one unlikely combined with a 2nd highly unlikely. I'm not saying its not a good idea or that the players you've selected are not great because they are, I just don't think the Texans will take that route.

I do think for the first time however if they feel as strong as I do about Ryan Mathews, RB Fresno State they just might trade down or draft him outright to address the running game with a true franchise type back. He is the complete package between the tackle, ZBS RB they should covet.

The second rd. pick could be a OG or Center depending on who is available. I was really impressed with the Florida OL, either one of the Pouncey twins would work for me (Maurkice Pouncey, C 6-5 318 or Mike Pouncey, OG 6-5 320 both should get 2nd rd. grades).

third rd. on mix in a little defense, FS, CB, DT or OLB followed with more OG/RB help :twocents:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
BL

The Texans have chosen not to go this route for 8 yrs and counting.

So unfortunately you're probably right.

I just want for one thing to happen FIX THE D**N O-LINE 8 yrs is long enough.

Wolf6151

All Pro

Let the critiques begin

2.Good RB prospect
3.Underrated FS prospect
4.Dynamic return guy

I don't like the fact that you haven't addressed CB until the 5th round other than a vague line saying that we'll pick one up in FA. Not enough details there, which CB would you target in FA? You do realize that a true #1 CB in FA is very hard to come by and will be grossly expensive, and there might not be any in FA this year that are worth going after. If we lose Dunta then I think this position will need to be addressed in the 1st round of the draft because it'll leave a huge gaping hole on the team. I like your idea of fixing the O-line once and for all, instead of the short cuts we've been using for 8 yrs. but I'd draft one and pick one up in FA since a good OG will be much cheaper than a #1 CB in FA.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
BL

SB

It's been evolving & will continue to evolve. lots of questions to be answered this offseason starting with Gibbs his future & how that impacts Gary along with rest of his staff.

My take is they were damn lucky last year & not so fortunate this year, thats life in the NFL. I would love to upgrade Center & add depth/starter @ OG but it doesn't happen over night or in one draft alone. balance is the key, although I understand where your coming from :fingergun:

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
BL

I guess I don't understand this post. Eight years??? That sounds like we've never drafted any O-linemen.

2006 - E. Winston and C. Spencer drafted - both on the first day. Winston is still a starter and thanks to Ron Dayne, we'll never know how good (or bad) Spencer could have been.
2007 - Brandon Frye and Kasey Studdard - both second day picks, drafted for depth. Frye couldn't stay healthy and Studdard's probably still best as depth.
2008 - Dwayne Brown - our #1 pick. Rough rookie year, better this year.
2009 - Antoine Caldwell - may yet move out Myers (at least I'm hoping so) as the starting center.

I think we're set at tackle and hopefully Pitts will be back at 100% (but I'd draft to fill his spot just in case) and if Caldwell emerges we only need to upgrade the other guard spot.

Injuries killed us this year on the O-line. The injury bug was so bad we had to bring back Ephraim Salaam and bring in Tutan Reyes (yeah, I hadn't heard of him either) as depth.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't like the fact that you haven't addressed CB until the 5th round other than a vague line saying that we'll pick one up in FA. Not enough details there, which CB would you target in FA? You do realize that a true #1 CB in FA is very hard to come by and will be grossly expensive, and there might not be any in FA this year that are worth going after. If we lose Dunta then I think this position will need to be addressed in the 1st round of the draft because it'll leave a huge gaping hole on the team. I like your idea of fixing the O-line once and for all, instead of the short cuts we've been using for 8 yrs. but I'd draft one and pick one up in FA since a good OG will be much cheaper than a #1 CB in FA.
I agree wth you about an OG is easier to find in FA than a no.1 CB.

Where the Texans are picking they will not be able to draft a true no.1 CB but they will have to pay a CB 1st rd. money if they draft one in the 1st.

There's more value in the best OG prospect Iupati than a CB like Lindley in the 1st.

The reason that I waited until the 5th rd for a CB is
1. Value-is Thurmond once he gets healthy,McFadden who will be lucky to be available or Verner-who is alittle small a step slow but is a big hitter that much better than Ghee,Wilson or Warren in the 2nd rd, plus you have to pay 2nd rd money.
2. Depth of this CB class is great you can find a good CB later in the draft. It does lack a true no.1 CB except for Haden.

3. If you want to sell me on the idea that Earl Thomas can play CB (which I think he can do) I'm all for using the no.1 pick on him.

4. Dunta is not a no.1 CB but you can find someone good enough to replace his very limited production. (Ashton Youboty comes to mind, there are others)

5. I have hopes that Molden will be a healthy and productive player next year. I know it's a long shot but there's always hope.

On another subject Carolina needs a QB. Say our pick is no.15 and Clausen is available if Carolina said we will trade you Stewart for your 1st and 3rd rd picks so they can draft Clausen. (they dont have a 1st rd. pick)

Would you make that trade?

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
SB

It's been evolving & will continue to evolve. lots of questions to be answered this offseason starting with Gibbs his future & how that impacts Gary along with rest of his staff.

My take is they were damn lucky last year & not so fortunate this year, thats life in the NFL. I would love to upgrade Center & add depth/starter @ OG but it doesn't happen over night or in one draft alone. balance is the key, although I understand where your coming from :fingergun:
Spot On

Luck caught up to them this year.

If they follow this mock their line will be set for the next 8/10 yrs. Then in future drafts if they take an OL in the 4th rd say and they hit on him. It would be because they were drafting from a position of strength. Kind of like if they were to draft a WR or LB later in the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I guess I don't understand this post. Eight years??? That sounds like we've never drafted any O-linemen.

2006 - E. Winston and C. Spencer drafted - both on the first day. Winston is still a starter and thanks to Ron Dayne, we'll never know how good (or bad) Spencer could have been.
2007 - Brandon Frye and Kasey Studdard - both second day picks, drafted for depth. Frye couldn't stay healthy and Studdard's probably still best as depth.
2008 - Dwayne Brown - our #1 pick. Rough rookie year, better this year.
2009 - Antoine Caldwell - may yet move out Myers (at least I'm hoping so) as the starting center.

I think we're set at tackle and hopefully Pitts will be back at 100% (but I'd draft to fill his spot just in case) and if Caldwell emerges we only need to upgrade the other guard spot.

Injuries killed us this year on the O-line. The injury bug was so bad we had to bring back Ephraim Salaam and bring in Tutan Reyes (yeah, I hadn't heard of him either) as depth.
Other than Winston and Brown (Spencer doesn't count because they got 0 production from him) Smithiak have used street FA's or drafted 5th or 6th rd picks to fill out the depth or in some cases start (Briesel) on the OL.

We are the team that is weakest in the trenches in our division. Until that is fixed this team wont be what fans want it to be.

Jax added Monroe and Britton last year and their offense is much better.
Indy added Jake Scott in FA
Tacks Drafted Roos,Stewart and signed Mawae as it's vet. leader.

Do you see a theme here?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I like the ideas in this mock even if I might disagree on the realism. We need to get stronger in the middle on both sides. These picks would certainly help from that standpoint.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I think interior O-Line needs to be addressed, but I would like to see secondary addressed earlier than the 4th round.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think interior O-Line needs to be addressed, but I would like to see secondary addressed earlier than the 4th round.
Agreed

But thre's only one elite CB (Haden) in this draft.

The talent that will be available in the 4/5th rd is about the same as what will be availabe in the 2nd. IMO

The CB's in this draft are good and this class is deep. There are no great CB's other than Haden

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Agreed

But thre's only one elite CB (Haden) in this draft.

The talent that will be available in the 4/5th rd is about the same as what will be availabe in the 2nd. IMO

The CB's in this draft are good and this class is deep. There are no great CB's other than Haden
I'll defer to your better knowledge on that one, just makes me a little nervous that our secondary is going to be awful for yet another year if we can't get help from somewhere..... although I could imagine losing Dunta will be addition by subtraction.