Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2010   #1
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A list of Kubiak's mistakes.

Obviously the hot topic this season has been Kubiak's job.

I was wondering if we could perhaps compile a list of all of the mistakes he has made this season. Maybe it seems pointless to some people, and that's fine. If we had a list of all the mistakes he made this year, we could consider all sorts of things, like how many of those we expect him to correct, how many a new coach could correct quickly, and how many of them he has failed to and probably will continue to fail to correct. We can also take a look at some of the other head coaches and see if they make the same kind of mistakes, and how often.

This thread isn't designed just to make Kubiak look bad. All coaches make mistakes. It's true that many of us, including myself, feel that he has made way too many mistakes, but maybe that will turn out to be untrue if we look at the big picture. Everyone likes to point to the players and say "they are playing, they are the ones making the mistakes", because we can see Slaton fumble, or DR miss a tackle. But I would argue that Kubiak himself has made many, many important mistakes, that are not attributable to the players.

Here are some off the top of my head:

- not addressing SS in the offseason
- starting Chris Myers all year
- not interviewing DC candidates
- consistently failing to properly utilize Jacoby Jones
- barely playing JJ at WR
- giving Chris Brown carries all year
- ignoring Moats after he proved himself as the best RB on the roster
- not playing Caldwell early
- not playing Casey early
- never getting the ball to Dreessen after OD went down
- almost never targetting AJ in the end zone
- almost never trusting the pass in the red zone
- sticking with a failed "run to set up the pass" scheme
- refusing to properly utilize our high power passing offense

I know there were some huge mistakes in individual games, mostly with playcalling, some clock management stuff, but I have a terrible time remembering things so other people should list the specific stuff they remember.
Old 01-01-2010   #2
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A list of Kubiak's mistakes.

Another thread?

Think all of these has been beat to death in the other Kubiak threads - several times over.
Old 01-01-2010   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post

- not addressing SS in the offseason Rick Smith
- starting Chris Myers all year Who else was he supposed to start?
- not interviewing DC candidates It appears Bush really was the best candidate.
- consistently failing to properly utilize Jacoby Jones elaborate.
- barely playing JJ at WR Jones is on the field 25-30% of all passing plays.
- giving Chris Brown carries all year True, but he's always trusted vets more in important moments.
- ignoring Moats after he proved himself as the best RB on the roster Ignored Moats?
- not playing Caldwell early He hasn't exactly made a great case for why he should be out there.
- not playing Casey early What has Casey done to win playing time over OD and Dreesen?
- never getting the ball to Dreessen after OD went down 20 receptions is slightly more than "never"
- almost never targetting AJ in the end zone srsly?
- almost never trusting the pass in the red zone srsly?
- sticking with a failed "run to set up the pass" scheme srsly?
- refusing to properly utilize our high power passing offense srsly?
Srsly?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Srsly?
Bush? The best candidate? hahahahahhahahaha
It is on Kubiak that Myers is even on the team. Dude sucks, period.
It is on Kubiak that Chris Brown was on the team. He even said that Chris Brown was a good back and effective back and that they didn't need to add another running back because they had their guy already in Chris Brown. Dude sucks, period.
It is on Kubiak that Moats didn't get utilized more than Brown and Slaton. Brown should have been cut the day after his fumble against Arizona. If you aren't helping the team, why are you here? All he has done all year is hurt the team, yet he still has a roster spot. Just ridiculous and an indictment of Kubiak's good ole boy persona and methodology.

Is Rick Smith partly to blame? Sure, but Smith is part of Kubiak. Kubiak has the final say because Gary got him the job in the first place.

Personally, I have more of a problem with Gary's gametime decisions/adjustments than any of these mistakes, but there is plenty of blame to go around...from the players, to the coaches, to the owner who tries to nickel and dime his way through Free Agency and Coaching.

Kubiak is what he is. A losing head coach.
Old 01-01-2010   #5
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I'm wondering if their is a 12-step program to cure this issue I've been having here of late... my total agreement with everything SH posts...omg!
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is getting ridiculous, and out and out stupid (and yes, if the shoe fits...).

If you want Kubiak gone, you're going to look at everything through those glasses, and all your doing is "self pleasuring" by starting up stupid threads like this.

If you want Kubiak to stay, everything he does can either be characterized as good, unimportant, or not his fault.

I'm sorry, but this is a subject that no matter how you feel, it's perpetuation just makes me have an even lower viewpoint than I already do in regard to the intellect of the average soaper/sunshine brigade member.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 01-01-2010 at 10:59 AM.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Soapers are strange.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2010   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
This is getting ridiculous, and out and out stupid (and yes, if the shoe fits...).

If you want Kubiak gone, you're going to look at everything through those glasses, and all your doing is "self pleasuring" by starting up stupid threads like this.

If you want Kubiak to stay, everything he does can either be characterized as good, unimportant, or not his fault.

I'm sorry, but this is a subject that no matter how you feel, it's perpetuation just makes me have an even lower viewpoint than I already do in regard to the intellect of the average soaper/sunshine brigade member.
I somewhat agree. These threads are getting really tiresome. The arguments go round and round and round.

Yawn
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Obviously the hot topic this season has been Kubiak's job.

I was wondering if we could perhaps compile a list of all of the mistakes he has made this season. Maybe it seems pointless to some people, and that's fine. If we had a list of all the mistakes he made this year, we could consider all sorts of things, like how many of those we expect him to correct, how many a new coach could correct quickly, and how many of them he has failed to and probably will continue to fail to correct. We can also take a look at some of the other head coaches and see if they make the same kind of mistakes, and how often.

This thread isn't designed just to make Kubiak look bad. All coaches make mistakes. It's true that many of us, including myself, feel that he has made way too many mistakes, but maybe that will turn out to be untrue if we look at the big picture. Everyone likes to point to the players and say "they are playing, they are the ones making the mistakes", because we can see Slaton fumble, or DR miss a tackle. But I would argue that Kubiak himself has made many, many important mistakes, that are not attributable to the players.

- not addressing SS in the offseason
- starting Chris Myers all year
- not interviewing DC candidates
- consistently failing to properly utilize Jacoby Jones
- barely playing JJ at WR
- giving Chris Brown carries all year
- ignoring Moats after he proved himself as the best RB on the roster
- not playing Caldwell early
- not playing Casey early
- never getting the ball to Dreessen after OD went down
- almost never targetting AJ in the end zone
- almost never trusting the pass in the red zone
- sticking with a failed "run to set up the pass" scheme
- refusing to properly utilize our high power passing offense

I know there were some huge mistakes in individual games, mostly with playcalling, some clock management stuff, but I have a terrible time remembering things so other people should list the specific stuff they remember.
Sorry dude, but I think it's just a bit disengenuous to start a thread titled "A list of Kubiak's mistakes" then say "this isn't meant to make him look bad."

Clearly, that's the point of this thread.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #10
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would anyone want to do this......again....to anyone?

Enough already.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed. Enough already.
rep your way.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

As an aside I just want to hear a Soaper's thought, and I won't reply so say all the inflammatory stuff you want:

Do you think that if Kubiak was fired he would land a HC job anywhere?
Old 01-01-2010   #13
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 38 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

Tired

Bill Shankly
DeMarCushPoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is exactly how I feel, and the underlying reason why I don't even bother to post much anymore. If you don't have colored bar of soap in your avatar, then your a ****ing homer. It's just ridiculous.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
As an aside I just want to hear a Soaper's thought, and I won't reply so say all the inflammatory stuff you want:

no. and he wouldn't have gotten an NFL HC gig from anyone if we hadn't hired him in the first place. he had a shot at College Station a few times, but no one was looking to hire him....

....but we had to hire the local 'hero'. now everyone hold hands and be Houston Proud.

screw Kubiak. 4 years has proven nothing except he is a flatlining loser coach that can't motivate his team
Old 01-01-2010   #16
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

I do think he would get a Head Coaching job somewhere. I don't think he's a great coach, but hes not a bad one either. I would say that he's an average coach.

I'm not for or against firing him, I understand that whatever happens after the year is meant to try and get the team to the ultimate goal.. which is a Super bowl..
Old 01-01-2010   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak needs to go but I have to say he probably would get another HC job somewhere else.

Look at Wade.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #18
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Bush? The best candidate? hahahahahhahahaha
Who do you think we should have gotten?

Williams and Gray were the only 4-3 coaches people were seriously talking about that ended up being available. McDermott and Morris were promoted.

Williams has the Saints defense ranked 24, and Gray couldn't even get a coordinator job.

So yes, Bush was the best candidate available.

Quote:
It is on Kubiak that Myers is even on the team. Dude sucks, period.
Myers is a quality backup, but he shouldn't be starting. He's out there because the Texans haven't been able to bring in anyone better.

Quote:
It is on Kubiak that Chris Brown was on the team. He even said that Chris Brown was a good back and effective back and that they didn't need to add another running back because they had their guy already in Chris Brown. Dude sucks, period.
Maybe you missed where I agreed on Brown? Wash the pink soap out of your eye so you can actually read.

Quote:
It is on Kubiak that Moats didn't get utilized more than Brown and Slaton. Brown should have been cut the day after his fumble against Arizona. If you aren't helping the team, why are you here? All he has done all year is hurt the team, yet he still has a roster spot. Just ridiculous and an indictment of Kubiak's good ole boy persona and methodology.
Moats has had 2 or 3 decent games, and one of them was against Buffalol. He's had twice as many bad games, and cost us a win in Indy with his fumble.

Quote:
Is Rick Smith partly to blame? Sure, but Smith is part of Kubiak. Kubiak has the final say because Gary got him the job in the first place.
Source?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #19
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I'm wondering if their is a 12-step program to cure this issue I've been having here of late... my total agreement with everything SH posts...omg!
Yes, TFA.....I made it up a few years back, lol.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #20
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I don't hate those with a differing opinion, but I don't think this is a two way street... can we agree to disagree without me having to be labeled as stupid?
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read