Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2009   #1
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default An interesting STAT for the Texans progress

It seems like everyone is pretty glum about the "what could have beens". but I found an intersting stat by adding the point totals over the last few seasons. While we have yet to have our Texans play to OUR expectations, they will make a milestone Sunday (unless they loose by 49 points) by completing a season for the first time with a point differential in the black. I call that progress and moving in the right direction.

Point differential
2009 +48 (so far)
2008 -28
2007 -05
2006 -99
2005 -171
2004 -30
2003 -125
2002 -143
Old 12-30-2009   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: An interesting STAT for the Texans progress

If they only used point differential as the determining factor on who makes the playoffs then you might be on to something.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #3
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

More stats?

Yawn.

I did a quick calculation of how much I've spent on this team as a season ticket holder. Those stats nearly made me cry.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #4
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If they only used point differential as the determining factor on who makes the playoffs then you might be on to something.
We both know this teams isn't going to the superbowl. Did anyone predict that? Hell know. My point is we are moving in the right direction. Even in our previous 8-8 seasons we suffered some major asskickings. This year we delt more than we recieved for the first time EVER!
Old 12-30-2009   #5
euro-Texan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
More stats?

Yawn.

I did a quick calculation of how much I've spent on this team as a season ticket holder. Those stats nearly made me cry.
Not too late to jump ship.
Old 12-30-2009   #6
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's some stats:

2009 = mediocrity
2008 = mediocrity
2007 = mediocrity
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #7
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
It seems like everyone is pretty glum about the "what could have beens". but I found an intersting stat by adding the point totals over the last few seasons. While we have yet to have our Texans play to OUR expectations, they will make a milestone Sunday (unless they loose by 49 points) by completing a season for the first time with a point differential in the black. I call that progress and moving in the right direction.

Point differential
2009 +48 (so far)
2008 -28
2007 -05
2006 -99
2005 -171
2004 -30
2003 -125
2002 -143
I, for one, think that's pretty significant. Thanks for pointing that out.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2009   #8
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

euro-Texan, thank you for pointing out. It is a positive sign and we are moving in right direction.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

This was one of my requirements for backing Kubes for another year.

If we win this week, and have a + net points I think we're over the dreaded hump.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, maybe I can dismiss indicative stats just so I can act like toughguy-sports-realist. "Stats are for losers! Grrrr!"

We get it, guys. You're realists. We know stats don't mean everything, but thanks for contributing.

I'd like to point out that these stats do mean the team is moving in the right direction regarding red zone production and defense, which might matter to an owner who needs to decide whether or not to keep his current head coach.

Let me preempt your response: "Winning or losing is all that McNair needs to look at! Grrrr!" I'll preempt that by saying maybe you should go start another "FIRE _______!!!1!" thread.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37816 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Those stats indicate this is the BEST LOOKING 8-8 team in the NFL.
Let's see if they change that on Sunday.
Old 12-31-2009   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Hey, maybe I can dismiss indicative stats just so I can act like toughguy-sports-realist. "Stats are for losers! Grrrr!"

We get it, guys. You're realists. We know stats don't mean everything, but thanks for contributing.

I'd like to point out that these stats do mean the team is moving in the right direction regarding red zone production and defense, which might matter to an owner who needs to decide whether or not to keep his current head coach.

Let me preempt your response: "Winning or losing is all that McNair needs to look at! Grrrr!" I'll preempt that by saying maybe you should go start another "FIRE _______!!!1!" thread.
Indicative stats my ass.

What a pretentious, smug, piece of shit response. So, you think you're better than us because you like medocrity and refuse to say anything bad about the home team? That's all good. But I disagree.

We can all agree to disagree. But at least be a man and back up how you feel with facts. Don't be a jerk.

And, for the record, yes, stats are, indeed for losers. All that counts are W's. You have not given us any argument to counter that claim.

Period.
Old 12-31-2009   #13
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Indicative stats my ass.

And, for the record, yes, stats are, indeed for losers. All that counts are W's. You have not given us any argument to counter that claim.
"W"s are just a team stat that tracks who had more points when time ran out.

What a clueless, whiny, piece of shit response.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 12-31-2009   #14
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
"W"s are just a team stat that tracks who had more points when time ran out.

What a clueless, whiny, piece of shit response.
LOL. Ok, that's a new one.

So W's aren't important, I take it?
Old 12-31-2009   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Quote:
LOL. Ok, that's a new one.

So W's aren't important, I take it?
You're the one saying stats are not important.

According to you counting "W"s is for losers.

Old 12-31-2009   #16
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
You're the one saying stats are not important.

According to you counting "W"s is for losers.
LOL!!!

Ah, Goat. You are good, my friend.

As a sports fan, you know as well as I do that end results are all that matters. We can be first in every statistic in the book, but if we don't have the W's, it somewhat waters it down a bit.

I don't completely disregard individual stats. Matt Schaub has had such an amazing year that it blows me away. We have a freaking top shelf quarterback. But even then, it would have been nice to get a few more wins to really give him the national attention he truly deserves. That's a case of, 'The stats are great, but a few more wins would have been even better.'
Old 12-31-2009   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

In this particular case, stats are not for losers. They aren't for winners, either. Just 8-8, until further notice.
Old 12-31-2009   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

Post of the day!

Not that I'm keeping track, that could be used for statistics later
Old 12-31-2009   #19
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

So if we get beat by 48 we would be at 0, that would go good with our 8-8!

But, we are not going to lose so this is Forward progress! Good Stat
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a nice stat, however, it should only be given credit to Kubiak if he had included it in his 2009 plan as a KPI. If not, it is a nice stat, but a meaningless one in the retention debate of he and his staff IMO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read