Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2009   #1
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default four quarters

Until the Texans start playing 60 minutes of football, I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to make the playoffs.

Sorry to throw cold water on the party. I am a fan, but I am also loathe to ignore what my eyes can see.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: four quarters

If they don't play 4 quarters of football against the New England Patriots, then we will not win.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post

Sorry to throw cold water on the party.
eeeeehhhhhh Yeah, you're throwing cold water on this party with this original thought.

Read some other threads, you aren't the only one.
Old 12-30-2009   #4
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

What team does "play for 60 minutes"? Definitely not the Colts, they were down in the 4th quarter in about half of their games. That means they didn't play for a whole 3 quarters until they decided to play in the 4th. They seem to do okay only playing 1 quarter.

dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #5
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 38 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Until the Texans start playing 60 minutes of football, I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to make the playoffs.

Sorry to throw cold water on the party. I am a fan, but I am also loathe to ignore what my eyes can see.
You people took a life here today, the life of the party.

Michael Scott

Bill Shankly
DeMarCushPoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

If we made the playoffs by some sort of miracle, we'd probably be one of the most dangerous teams that people would not want to play.
Old 12-30-2009   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
What team does "play for 60 minutes"? Definitely not the Colts, they were down in the 4th quarter in about half of their games. That means they didn't play for a whole 3 quarters until they decided to play in the 4th. They seem to do okay only playing 1 quarter.

I think everyone understands how hard it is to play a complete game, but it's obvious with the Texans how divided each game has been. It's almost like two different teams show up on game day. One team will destroy the opponent and then the other team comes out and lays an egg.

Texans - A true Jekyll and Hyde team
Old 12-30-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I will admit that in the past I have often times found myself watching late games after a loss and thinking "these teams play on a completely different level".

But as the season has gone on I've noticed this about our Texans, they are very streaky. I think you see many teams that are much more erratic from play to play whereas the Texans seem to be much more consistent. Last week for example Schaub is pretty much lazer accurate in the first half and in the second he's off on his deep out routes 3 or 4 times. Everyone is making catches in the first half and then #12 is dropping passes that are in his hands.

Think about how rare it is to see Schaub miss fire or throw behind a guy unless it's specifically to turn his body away from the db. I think other teams are much MUCH more erratic. We just tend to do it all at once.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #9
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 38 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post

I agree 100%, all these people that talk about the Texans only play half a game is just garbage. It is very rare in the NFL or any other pro sport, for one team to completely dominate a game from beginning to end. And usually when it does happen it's only because the other team basically has given up and flat out quites at some point (Pat-59 Ten-0).

Bill Shankly
DeMarCushPoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
If we made the playoffs by some sort of miracle, we'd probably be one of the most dangerous teams that people would not want to play.
I would like to have seen Arian Foster earlier in the year. But if we do make the play-offs, it's nice to know he is getting some carries now.

We may turn out to be that Arizona Cardinals this year. No running game in the regular season, then it comes out of nowhere in the play-offs.

We would be hard to stop, & the sky's the limit.
Old 12-30-2009   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMarCushPall View Post
I agree 100%, all these people that talk about the Texans only play half a game is just garbage. It is very rare in the NFL or any other pro sport, for one team to completely dominate a game from beginning to end. And usually when it does happen it's only because the other team basically has given up and flat out quites at some point (Pat-59 Ten-0).
I don't thin anyone is expecting us to score on every possession, but to go from 27 points in the first half against Miami, with wide open receivers & huge running lanes, to no points, & turnover, punt, punt, turnover.... is not what other teams are doing.

This is definitely a problem (not one that I think Kubiak should be fired over) & needs to be fixed if we're going to win against good teams.

if we score 27 points in the first half, we should be able to score at least once in the second half. If it weren't for our defense playing 4 Qtrs (an improvement) we would have lost that game.
Old 12-30-2009   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

We lost games against Tennessee, twice to Jacksonville, & twice to Indy, but they were some of our best games of the year. Those games were as complete a game as the Texans have played all year.

Those games were literally 2 or 3 plays from complete.
Old 12-30-2009   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think these week we can play 4 quarters of football and still not make the playoffs we are in a hole

Are playoffs hopes relay on Oakland and KC .........

and Carson palmers brother .....

i dont like our chances
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i think these week we can play 4 quarters of football and still not make the playoffs we are in a hole

Are playoffs hopes relay on Oakland and KC .........

and Carson palmers brother .....

i dont like our chances
That's why you don't tell our team to play for the playoffs. You tell them to play for a 9-7 record that will be the team's first ever winning season. You tell them that the game against New England is our Super Bowl.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We lost games against Tennessee, twice to Jacksonville, & twice to Indy, but they were some of our best games of the year. Those games were as complete a game as the Texans have played all year.

Those games were literally 2 or 3 plays from complete.
I wouldn't call the 2nd Jax game a complete game... we were on our way to a blowout loss until Schaub got back in the game and righted the ship on offense.
Old 12-30-2009   #16
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Have not heard this before.

But we have played 4 quarters in the Buf,Oak, and Cincy game.

No question we need to work on playing all 4 quarters hard but we have done it several times this season, but not recently.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I wouldn't call the 2nd Jax game a complete game... we were on our way to a blowout loss until Schaub got back in the game and righted the ship on offense.

i couldn't really call the first jax game close to one either...our defense still was struggling alot.
Old 12-30-2009   #18
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
eeeeehhhhhh Yeah, you're throwing cold water on this party with this original thought.

Read some other threads, you aren't the only one.
I never claimed to be the only one. I do, however, claim to be respectful of each others' time by making it apparent from the thread title that this (ie, four quarters worth of effort) was what I was hoping to discuss.

But thank you for taking the time to contribute to the discussion.

Someone made the valid point that there are instances in which the Texans played 60 minutes. Add my name to the list of folks who have a beef with lack of consistency.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Sorry to throw cold water on your party
basically you're saying that we've been partying.

Now that you've thrown cold water on the party...... I'm guessing that you're statement about playing 60 minutes was that "cold water"

If you thought there were others who have said the same thing,
1. Why would you start a new thread?
2. Why would we still be "partying" ?

I'm sorry that you are loathe though..... what does that mean?

But tell you what, I'll try to help you out, because I'm just that kind of guy.

Do you think the Texans take their foot off the gas...... insinuating a yellow belly coaching style not appreciated around these parts, or

Do you think the Texans shoot themselves in the foot...... insinuating the players make poor decisions at inopportune times?
Surely you weren't under the impression that we were still partying if we were already told
Old 12-31-2009   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

In most of our games I see two problems.

1: We're young, meaning that we lose concentration and get sloppy once we feel that we're 'winning'

2: Once up we start calling more conservative plays, mostly running plays, but our lack of effective running plays means alot of punts and in turn a bad second half TOP.

#1, Some is coachable, alot has to do with experience.
#2, That's all coaching.

We take care of these two issues and we'll whip out 'complete games' all the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read