Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 12-29-2009   #41
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 52394 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tear down the astrodome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
This might sound silly. What is this?
New word I made up. Kind of like jet lag maybe?

I was being a smart-azz because Texan_Bill had already offered such a fine use for this building....
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Not one of his better performances but I saw it about a month or so before I graduated HS.

Johnny Reb was in the house.

Damn, those last few posts were like a snap shot of my life.
Old 12-29-2009   #43
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Okay, quick show of hands from those who just knew Texan_Bill's suggestion would be along these lines....
Old 12-29-2009   #44
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
It's already being turned into a movie studio: http://www.astrodomestudios.net/
It MAY be turned into that.

Just like all the other things MAY have opened, but they didn't.

I would be fine with it becoming a studio but it would be cooler for it to be something sports/hotel/entertainment related.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #45
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Turn it into a UFO landing site, thus generating intergalatic revenue.
Would that be subject to the leagues revenue sharing???

Also be careful if that happens we may lose games to places London, and Alpha Centuri. Can you imagine the the jet lag effect on players traveling light years, but I digress........
Old 12-29-2009   #46
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

First thing they might want to check is see how many Katrina refugees are still there.
Old 12-29-2009   #47
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
First thing they might want to check is see how many Katrina refugees are still there.
lol! that was funny!!!!!!! Thats why the saints have a full stadium every sunday
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2009   #48
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Blow the thing up.

And DO NOT sell the seats to the fans like some stadiums do before the end. Every bit of bad energy needs to be exorcised from the area. If they sell the seats then there will be pieces of that damn place all over the country.

While I have great memories of going to the Dome the damn thing is a Church dedicated to the worshipping of bad karma. For some reason I feel like a dark cloud will be lifted from the city once it is finally gone.

I take back the seat thing though. One can be saved and it should be taken and buried under the 50 yard line up titan land.
Old 12-29-2009   #49
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 52394 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
lol! that was funny!!!!!!! Thats why the saints have a full stadium every sunday

Man I paid for this seat...

Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #50
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

permanent housing for future Louisiana hurricane refugees.

we could name it Bill White Memorial Housing.
Old 01-01-2010   #51
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets tear it down and then put in non tail gate parking for fans that just want to park their car. This way fans can choose to opt for a tale gate option(the current color parking lots) or a general non tale gating. The general lot would be like the old dome lots: first come first serve cash lots rather than the pre paid passes.

I remember I attended a game a few years ago and did not have a pre paid pass. We had to park in some random place and then walk several blocks. If the Texans organization built a reasonable priced lot (say $7 to park) they would make a ton of money.

I mean seriously, if you don't have a parking pass where are you supposed to park?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #52
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Take the roof off, put in a big HDTV cube and make it the biggest tailgating experience ever. The 9th Wonder of the World.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #53
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If the county/city/Texans/etc really wanted to do anything with the Astrodome they would have done it by now. I've accepted that the building will be allowed to sit there until some random required repair is needed whereupon the county will proclaim that nobody came up with a good idea for the facility and now it's too expensive not to tear down. Their hands will be tied (bull****, bull****, harrumph, harrumph).

I don't even care at this point. I love that building and two chimps with a case of beer could come up with a better use for it than anything the county has considered but if they're just going to dick around until a suitable amount of time has passed and then pretend like nobody cared enough so they have to knock it down then I'd rather they just go ahead and do it now.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #54
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

It's probably going to end up being torn down. It's too expensive to bring it back up to code now. It will never be any kind of entertainment or Hotel complex because it would take money out of the Texans and HLSR pockets. Those two would never get on board with that type of plan, unless they were getting a good portion of the income.
Old 01-02-2010   #55
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd raise hell if Houston City Council decided to tear the Astrodome down. My first Astros game I went to in 98' was there against the Expos and I want to take my kids (in the future of course) there to show them the stadium.

Not to mention, my religous organaiztion uses that place for cultural events and festivals, I would hate to see it torn down
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #56
billybob
AKA BudAdams

THey should put a giant statue of Bud Adams on the 50 yard line and make it his shrine.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

We the tax payers still owe about $25 million on the dome. It has lost its certificate of occupancy due to extreme disrepair. We the taxpayers have already had to shell out millions of dollars for fire and other code violations, just so that it would not have to be torn down. General (minimal) maintenance costs us the taxpayers about $3 million dollars every year it remains standing. Just to bring it up to full code without formal occupancy, it will cost us tens of millions........BEFORE any entity entertains reconstruction for another use. As the procrastination to "resurrect" or demolish continues and the structure continues to deteriorate, it will turn Harris County into just one big Gentleman's Club and La Bare establishments, as all of us taxpayers will be stripped bare by the time the dome sings its last swan song.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #58
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

To bad the rodeo and McNair wont let private industry turn it into something that would be a drawing card for the city of Houston.

Houston needs a drawing card like the river walk in San Antonio.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #59
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Should we destory the Astrodome

and turn it into like a Sports bar and grill / Fun zone / a place were we like keep Texans Hall of fame and history stuff
Tear it down, yes.
And send a team of planners to Glendale Arizona to see what they built near the stadium and copy that. Shops, restaraunts, music, booze. It was great.
Old 01-04-2010   #60
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Not one of his better performances but I saw it about a month or so before I graduated HS.
Is it true that he got booed by the crowd at this performance? I read that fairly recently and, if true, just makes me thinks bad things about some Houston sports fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Lets tear it down and then put in non tail gate parking for fans that just want to park their car. This way fans can choose to opt for a tale gate option(the current color parking lots) or a general non tale gating. The general lot would be like the old dome lots: first come first serve cash lots rather than the pre paid passes.

I remember I attended a game a few years ago and did not have a pre paid pass. We had to park in some random place and then walk several blocks. If the Texans organization built a reasonable priced lot (say $7 to park) they would make a ton of money.

I mean seriously, if you don't have a parking pass where are you supposed to park?
LOL!!!!!1!!!

I could have swore I just read a proposal for $7 parking at Reliant Stadium!!

You might want to put a "1" or "2" in front of that 7 to make it a realistic proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
THey should put a giant statue of Bud Adams on the 50 yard line and make it his shrine.
Only if we build a big tower right over that statue. On the side of the tower would be stairs, and at the top, a hole. And right on top of that hole, a toilet.

If you charged each visitor a $1, you could probably have enough to renovate the 'dome while paying off the remaining debt. Heck, I know I'd be good for $50 (and that's just the first day that it's open!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
Tear it down, yes.
And send a team of planners to Glendale Arizona to see what they built near the stadium and copy that. Shops, restaraunts, music, booze. It was great.
I agree with this idea. Make it a tourist destination so the train to nowhere finally has a purpose.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read