Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the 2009 Texans
Excited - happy with the progress and direction (keep moving forward) 5 6.85%
Satisfied - happy with direction but not record (would like a little better) 35 47.95%
Disappointed - expectations were higher (division title) 28 38.36%
Unsatisfactory - No excuses! (we should be elite by now) 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2009   #1
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default State of the Franchise

As many of the threads are leaning this way I wanted to start a poll to see the overall view of the Texans stock.

How do you feel about the Texans as the season comes to an end?

Last edited by euro-Texan; 12-26-2009 at 11:52 PM.
euro-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: State of the Franchise

Where's the poll?
Old 12-26-2009   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57075 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I voted disappointed, but leaned towards satisfied..... I guess I'm kinda meh.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The should be a meh category as the 3rd option. Texans should have a better bottom line, but maybe not a division winner. While not what I really want there is some sort of justification for keeping Kubiak for his 5th year even though those reasons sound more like excuses than real reasons.
Old 12-26-2009   #5
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

im satisfid with the direction we are in. we are real close, I thought this would be the year but we fugged up, but i still got the Texans back.
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #6
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The should be a meh category as the 3rd option. Texans should have a better bottom line, but maybe not a division winner. While not what I really want there is some sort of justification for keeping Kubiak for his 5th year even though those reasons sound more like excuses than real reasons.
Sorry I thought disappointed and meh were the same. In the big picture it is at least. We happen to be in a division where being a division champ means being real good, that's not the case in every division.

Last edited by euro-Texan; 12-27-2009 at 12:03 AM.
euro-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #7
theanswer000
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 theanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden cover

I am dissapointed with the team this year. We had high expectation for this season, but the Texans yet again failed to win the clutch games that mattered. We were in the running for a for sure playoff spot but the Texans blew it. Next year should be a lot better. Kubey will know that it is do or die, not playoffs or bust. He knows damn well better get us in the playoffs and we have to do well in there. We will cover our needs this off-season. We will of course sign guys that we need it probably will not be the guys we want but atleast it is progress. The draft should be easy. What do we need right now more than anything??? A RUNNING BACK.

C.J. Spiller should be our main focus.
theanswer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2009   #8
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Disappointed. We should be better than 8-8 but maybe not division title winners just quite yet.

As for our record, it should be better.

Realistcially imo: 6-10 to 8-8 to 9-7 or 10-6 to 9-7 or 10-6 again.

Instead it has been: 6-10 to 8-8 to 8-8 to ???(another 8-8 or 7-9 imo)

At 9-7 or 10-6, you are usually competing for a playoff spot year in year out and in some divisions(not ours) a division championship.

What is it going to take? We keep saying we are a few players away and some like to throw out the word close but each offseason, we pick up some pieces through FA and the draft(with a mid-round pick) and we still dont seem to improve W-L wise.

That tells me either/or:

1. We suck at evaluating talent and sign/draft the wrong guys

and/or

2. Our coaches cant coach these guys up to help them with reach their potential

So um really, what is it going to take to get over the hump? Well, its no longer really a hump - you can get over humps. Maybe more like a mountain?
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

They're better than I thought they would be. I didn't think they would be in the playoff hunt with Slaton out for a big chunk of the season.

I no longer come to the boards thinking "If they just didn't suck they could have won that game!" Now it's more "If one or two jackholes didn't screw it up they would have won that game!"

They're still a few years away from being an elite team, but one good offseason could make them competitors who just need to catch some breaks to go the distance. Unfortunately I'm skeptical of Smithiak's ability to have a 2006 type offseason.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted "disappointed" but I merely believed we should have "challenged" for the division title. I didn't think we would win it necessarily and not having won it wasn't the real reason for my disappointment.

Had the Texans not handed Jacksonville a win at Reliant and not fumbled (and bumbled) away the game against the Cardinals we would have gone to play an 8-0 Indianapolis team with our own record being 7-1. That would have been where I wanted to see us regardless of the outcome there. I hoped we'd split with the Colts this year and sweep the Jaguars and Titans. All three were within reach but the Texans fell short.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Shoulda Woulda Coulda......Mark me down as "Disappointed"

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne

Last edited by Thorn; 12-27-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: edited out non-PG13 statement. LOL
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
Sorry I thought disappointed and meh were the same. In the big picture it is at least. We happen to be in a division where being a division champ means being real good, that's not the case in every division.
There are no weak division leaders at the moment. Probably each one will have at least 10 wins and are solid football teams.

Anyway Meh for me is not really disappointed nor satisfied, more acceptance of the state the Texans are at than anything.
Old 12-27-2009   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take the option between satisfied and disappointed

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #14
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

disappointed but still optimistic.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I am disappointed although I did not expect division title. This team so easily with just a little coaching/performance on a few plays/kicks could be 1-4 games better on record and in the cat bird seat for a wild card spot.
Old 12-27-2009   #16
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted disappointed. I wasn't expecting them to overtake the Colts for the division, but I was expecting them to be in a better position to make the playoffs than they are now.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #17
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 38 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer000 View Post
I am dissapointed with the team this year. We had high expectation for this season, but the Texans yet again failed to win the clutch games that mattered. We were in the running for a for sure playoff spot but the Texans blew it. Next year should be a lot better. Kubey will know that it is do or die, not playoffs or bust. He knows damn well better get us in the playoffs and we have to do well in there. We will cover our needs this off-season. We will of course sign guys that we need it probably will not be the guys we want but atleast it is progress. The draft should be easy. What do we need right now more than anything??? A RUNNING BACK.

C.J. Spiller should be our main focus.
What is your definition of "high expectations"? They have a chance to go 9-7 and are still in the mix for a playoff spot. I read allot of these comments and wonder what did people expect from this team going in to the season. I expected 9-7 or 10-6 at best. Anything beyond that was just unrealistic, I don't care how favorable the schedule was. They play in and will continue to play in one of the toughest devisions in all of football. This team is still being built and that takes time. Yes they have some super stars in the making at several starting positions but as this season has proven they lack real deapth at some key positions. With an improved running game going in to next year, I think they will make a big impact and this is the first time I have ever said that.

Bill Shankly
DeMarCushPoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #18
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19932 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the direction in which we're moving, but we really ought to have at least nine wins on the season by now and Chris Brown should have been benched permanently several weeks ago. I'm satisfied in some things and disappointed in others; probably like most people around here.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #19
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Disappointed. IMO, a vote for Satisfied is a vote for eternal mediocrity.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I pick dissapointed...I think we have good things coming to this franchise in the next decade but we should have reached it this year. 9-7 could stop the bleeding for an entire offseason though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read