Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans running game near franchise worst

Quote:
The 2009 edition of your Houston Texans are very close to going down as the worst rushing team in franchise history.

And that's saying something.

The Texans have 1,205 rushing yards through 14 games this season, which is tied for last in the league with (interestingly) an undefeated Indianapolis Colts team.

But unless the Texans can cobble together 143 rushing yards in the next two games, they will snap the franchise worst mark of 1,347 set by the 2002 squad.

You could already make the argument that 2009 is the low point in running game history for the Texans since the 2002 roster was filled with rookies and castoffs (hmmmm ... sounds like 2009). But at least the 'inaugural team' had an excuse when it plodded for 1,347 yards behind the likes of Jonathan Wells and James Allen. It was the first year.

And now seven years later, we're looking at a team that might not have a 450 yard rusher.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...nel-rss-Sports
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #2
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans running game near franchise worst

We can call this year's running game "The Curse of Chris Brown."
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
We can call this year's running game "The Curse of Chris Brown."
More like the "curse of a sucky O-line." Oline has been dominated in the running game this year. And it has all started with the guy in the middle.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i blame both our Rb's and our injuries in our Interior O line

Chester and Brisles injuries really hurted us
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #5
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

the whole thing is a mess, what a difference a year makes.
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i blame both our Rb's and our injuries in our Interior O line

Chester and Brisles injuries really hurted us
Weren't you originally cheering the injury to Chester?
Old 12-26-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If we don't draft a good RB high up next year, this board will explode. And me with it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2009   #8
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If we don't draft a good RB high up next year, this board will explode. And me with it.
What would you consider high? 3rd round? 2nd?

I dont see us taking a RB til the 3rd round. Maybe, just maybe, the 2nd.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
What would you consider high? 3rd round? 2nd?

I dont see us taking a RB til the 3rd round. Maybe, just maybe, the 2nd.
The running games problem is two fold, the O line and the RB talent. Both need fixed. right now we don't have squat for RBs except for Slaton, so even without a good O line, we still need to draft a RB high. To answer your question, unless a franchise RB falls to us in the 1st round, I'd say 2nd or 3rd. Slaton was a 3rd round pick, and he is pretty darn good.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole "draft a running back in the 1st or 2nd round" crowd should have some patience with their demands because this isn't a particularly strong running back draft class. Why go into a draft determined to reach? There's some good prospects in this class but not compared to other positions. With the depth the Texans have now across the board it would behoove them most to draft the best player available especially in a draft with this rich pool of talent. If an RB is that player when its their turn to draft do it but thats just not the way the landscape of this draft is looking.

Believe me I want a dominant starting running back on this team as much as anyone but I don't think it should cloud our evaluation process. Why reach on an RB early on and end up passing on a future pro bowler? Haven't we seen this organization do this before and it burned them (see Okoye, Patrick Willis)? I'd rather try our hand in free agency by signing a veteran runner to a low risk deal, gut it out with Slaton as the starter another year and see if with o-line improvements he becomes the back he was his rookie season.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #11
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The whole "draft a running back in the 1st or 2nd round" crowd should have some patience with their demands because this isn't a particularly strong running back draft class. Why go into a draft determined to reach? There's some good prospects in this class but not compared to other positions. With the depth the Texans have now across the board it would behoove them most to draft the best player available especially in a draft with this rich pool of talent. If an RB is that player when its their turn to draft do it but thats just not the way the landscape of this draft is looking.

Believe me I want a dominant starting running back on this team as much as anyone but I don't think it should cloud our evaluation process. Why reach on an RB early on and end up passing on a future pro bowler? I'd rather try our hand in free agency by signing a veteran runner to a low risk deal, gut it out with Slaton another year and see if with o-line improvements he becomes the back he was his rookie season.
This. I wasnt around on this board last around draft time but I know on the HT.com boards, some were calling to draft Beanie Wells at 15.

I dont want to derail this thread but what are y'alls thoughts on CJ Spiller? Or is he similar to Steve Slaton and what he offers? I dont know enough about to say yes he'll be good or wont be good or yes he'll fit or no he wont fit, etc.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
This. I wasnt around on this board last around draft time but I know on the HT.com boards, some were calling to draft Beanie Wells at 15.

I dont want to derail this thread but what are y'alls thoughts on CJ Spiller? Or is he similar to Steve Slaton and what he offers? I dont know enough about to say yes he'll be good or wont be good or yes he'll fit or no he wont fit, etc.
From what I've gathered from reading all the draft stuff out, he's looked at as a 12-15 carry back and full-time kick/punt returner. A change of pace guy but not projected as a 20-25 carry full-time bruiser. His special teams prowess negates his projections as just a back-up and his small frame (5-10, 197). He has elite burst/suddenness/speed and is a willing special teamer.

Could he be Chris Johnson? The ceiling probably isn't that high but they have similar frames/running style. Could he be just a Jerious Norwood/Reggie Bush/whatever smallish part-time running back/returner? Yes to that too. He'll be a first round pick though for sure, 15-25ish range.

Is there a fit here for the Texans? IMO, I don't see it, I don't think he'd fully satisfy our need for a full-time starting back. While he and Slaton would be explosive as a tandem I don't think their running styles are complimentary. Both elude tacklers and thats a nice way of saying they don't break tackles. Protection is also a big part and I know Spiller does not excel in this area as do most rookie running backs.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm interested to see how this will unfold if Gibbs retires . When the master can't get it done ... it's not gettin done .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #14
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

and the sky is blue. great thread.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read