Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2009   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default 8-8 Is Going To Be Good Enough This Year But Not Next

For Gary to keep his job. He'll get his final season only to be let go in 2011 let's just end the debate already.
Old 12-24-2009   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 8-8 Is Going To Be Good Enough This Year But Not Next

I am experiencing a strong sense of deja vu upon reading your post.

MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It's deja vu all over again.

gary is right though, Kubiak will have to improve next year to at least 10-6 if not better. The key though, as it always is, is division play which we suck at.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251670 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take this a step further gary.

I am absolutely certain that regardless of the outcome of the final two games Gary Kubiak will be returning for 2010 season. If the Texans don't win another game it's not a problem. I believe that Bob McNair believes that we are one year away and that he believes in Gary Kubiak. I think he sees the injuries that have occurred, the progress that has been made with the defense, and the way in which we've lost some games (player miscues) and comes to the conclusion that Gary's the guy.

I don't think he sees or understands what most of us who want Kubiak gone have a problem with (team not ready to play, consistently inconsistent, bad game/clock management, etc) or maybe he thinks that this is something Gary will iron out if given just...one....more....year.

I think he's wrong to give him another season but I hope he's right because he's going to do it no matter what. I desperately want to be proven wrong here. If I were any kind of religious man I'd be praying for a 13-3 season being right around the corner. I'll be behind the team next year 103% but if this asshattery continues and the Texans keep looking like a .500 "keystone cops" football team I'm going to rage and ***** and moan and say I told you so for the entire year.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

The customer is always right. Always. To qoute one of my favorite movies.
Old 12-24-2009   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It's deja vu all over again.

gary is right though, Kubiak will have to improve next year to at least 10-6 if not better. The key though, as it always is, is division play which we suck at.
I'm on the GK bandwagon. My expectations are a 10-6 or better year next season.

I'll tell you what. If we aren't division champs, (because I think we'll be that good.) I'll break out the Pink, Yellow, Red, & Green Soap myself.
Old 12-24-2009   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
....I'll break out the Pink, Yellow, Red, & Green Soap myself.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2009   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'll tell you what. If we aren't division champs, (because I think we'll be that good.) I'll break out the Pink, Yellow, Red, & Green Soap myself.
They been this good every year. LOL.
Old 12-24-2009   #9
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I had high hopes because of the schedule this year. I doubt the Texans go 3-1 vs the NFC East.

This team still has holes to fill whether we wanna admit it or not.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #10
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 35494 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
I had high hopes because of the schedule this year. I doubt the Texans go 3-1 vs the NFC East.

This team still has holes to fill whether we wanna admit it or not.
The schedule is tougher next year, so 8-8 next year will be even better than the awesome 8-8 this year. First team in history to have huge improvements every year while going 8-8 for four years in a row.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Until Payton Manning retires or is kidnapped by alien UFOs, Indy will remain the champs. I will settle quite nicely for a 10-6 or 11-5 record (considering our 2010 schedule) and a wild card spot. We had better go at least 4-2 in the division next year though, or it's all meaningless again.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #12
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

You might as well break them out because there is now way that we will win our division over the colts & titans next year if Kubiak return.
Old 12-24-2009   #13
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Two years in a row now, Gary Kubiak ran training camp like Summer Camp.

Two years in a row now, we were blown to smithereens in Game 1 of the
Regular Season.

The only reason we didn't get blown of the field in game 1 of '07 is because
we played against the Chiefs.

Third time's the charm, right?

Since Kubiak has been hired, EVERY team in the NFL has either made the
playoffs, or has fired their coach. He's had more than enough time.
But you're right. Reliant Stadium is gonna be downright UGLY if Kubes screws
next year up. Bob Mcnair WILL bring Kubiak back, even if it's the wrong
decision. The only reason he fired Dom was because Reliant Stadium became
a ghost town.
Old 12-24-2009   #14
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree that he will be back(though I don't think he should be). It wont be a popular decision among some of the fanbase. With that said, temper your expectations(or at least I know I will). I'll no longer fall in the trap.(You know, the slow start, get the gear going midseason, and finish out by winning 3 or 4 out of 5 to finish 8-8, thinking we'll finally get over next year) How many years have we said "Next year is the year we breakout" or "Next year is the year we turn the corner"? 2 or 3?

Hopefully they can somehow learn between now and next year to play 60 minutes of ball next year.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #15
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Hopefully they can somehow learn between now and next year to play 60 minutes of ball next year.
Why would you think they will learn to do that when nothing is going to change?

Since it looks like Kubiak will be back next year, I expect the same results since he hasn't "figured it out" yet.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #16
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic View Post
Why would you think they will learn to do that when nothing is going to change?

Since it looks like Kubiak will be back next year, I expect the same results since he hasn't "figured it out" yet.
I dont exactly think that. I said I hope they somehow manage to though I'm not going to count on it. Like I somehow hope they make the playoffs, but I'm not going to count on it, because chances are slim to none.

And I agree, I expect similar results since some things never change. Maybe we'll be a better 8-8 team.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I am absolutely certain that regardless of the outcome of the final two games Gary Kubiak will be returning for 2010 season. If the Texans don't win another game it's not a problem. I believe that Bob McNair believes that we are one year away and that he believes in Gary Kubiak. I think he sees the injuries that have occurred, the progress that has been made with the defense, and the way in which we've lost some games (player miscues) and comes to the conclusion that Gary's the guy.

I don't think he sees or understands what most of us who want Kubiak gone have a problem with (team not ready to play, consistently inconsistent, bad game/clock management, etc) or maybe he thinks that this is something Gary will iron out if given just...one....more....year.

I think he's wrong to give him another season but I hope he's right because he's going to do it no matter what. I desperately want to be proven wrong here. If I were any kind of religious man I'd be praying for a 13-3 season being right around the corner. I'll be behind the team next year 103% but if this asshattery continues and the Texans keep looking like a .500 "keystone cops" football team I'm going to rage and ***** and moan and say I told you so for the entire year.
I can't help being reminded of the phrase, "Curiosity killed the cat."

I, too will remain behind the team. However, if the "Keystone cops" reappear, I will promote a medical solution.................EUTHANASIA.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #18
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just really tired of Kubiak and will find it extremely hard to tolerate him another year. If Kubiak once again adds more talent via free agency and the draft and still has this team playing the same crappy .500 up and down football then keeping him will have set us back once again. Nine years of "wait till next year". It wouldn't make me feel good to say "I told you so" because I want this team to be a winner and in the playoffs with a chance to go to the superbowl. I honestly don't think Kubiak can do it. Four years with more talent every year and a soft schedule this year and nothing but the same ol crap. We will be in danger of losing good players that will want out and in danger of losing potential free agents that don't want any part of a 9 year loser.

The only way I can possibly see this team getting anywhere with Kubiak as hc is if Bush can mold this defense into a 2000 Ravens/85 Bears type of dominating defense. The Texans have to have that to win in spite of Kubiak and his clock management/bad calls/absolute stubborness(ie Chris/Kris Brown) and inability to prepare a team for 16 straight games.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #19
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

8-8 is okay if you are into kissing your sister!
Old 12-24-2009   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Yep

As long as the McNairs keep the fan base strong it doesn't matter what the people on MB's like this think. It will be business as usual.

God I hope I'm wrong and there is significant progress next year. 11-5

What does McNair have to lose by keeping Kubes on for another year?

Anwer: Nothing, The stadium will still be sold out next year and the beer will be sold in mass quantities. The TV revenue will still be there.

In McNairs eyes there's no reason to make a change. Because the $ will continue flow and the bottom line will remain constant.

He needs to know that this cities referendum on football has been cast once on non commited football owners. Ask Bud

If the Texans dont make the playoffs this year and McNair keeps Kubes and they dont make the playoffs again. A new coach will be brought in and then say with the change they dont make the playoffs for 2 more years the fan base will turn against McNair just like they did Bud.

All of this is hypothetical and I hope it doesn't turn out that way but it is a possibilty.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read