Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How would you aproach FA this offseason?

This is my priority. Time to make a splash. A stud in the middle turns this defense from a middle of the pack D into one that can take over games.

Top Defensive Tackles:

Vince Wilfork, New England Patriots (28)
The Patriots acknowledged being unable to keep both of their elite defensive linemen by trading away Richard Seymour, freeing up enough money to retain Vince Wilfork. Wilfork is one of the league’s premier nose tackles and one of the cornerstones for the Patriots’ defense. Once the season ends, the Patriots should start immediately trying to get him under contract so not to give him an option to walk. If he hits free agency, there are a number of teams that will heavily court Wilfork at a premium position.

Richard Seymour, Oakland Raiders (30)
Seymour has been coined one of the best defensive linemen of the decade and made himself a fixture in Honolulu prior to the last two seasons, including one curtailed by injury. Seymour has the ability and experience of playing 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE. He excels in run defense, but also has the ability to apply pressure and collapse the pocket. Moving to Oakland, the defensive line has been injected with a burst of energy and has performed pretty well overall. Seymour didn’t seem too excited about being blindsided in a trade to Oakland and I’d be surprised to see him make a full-time switch to a losing team from a winning organization like the Patriots.

Aubrayo Franklin, San Francisco 49ers (30)
Franklin has emerged as one of the elite nose tackles this year, helping the 49ers to fielding one of the best run defenses in the league this year. He doesn’t provide much against the pass, but is able to occupy blockers and hold at the point of attack. If the Niners can’t reach a deal with Franklin, they’re expected to use the franchise tag on him.

Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh Steelers (32)
Hampton has played pretty well this season, just outside of an elite level with a contract set to expire at the end of the year. The Steelers are among the top 3 teams in run defense this year and lead the league from a raw yardage standpoint. With a number of teams making the switch to the 3-4 without a proper nose tackle, Hampton’s salary could skyrocket through free agency. Great championship teams like the Steelers won’t overpay for players and that could be the case here. Hampton, earlier this season, hinted toward a move away from Pittsburgh if the money warrants it.

Ryan Pickett, Green Bay Packers (30)
Under Dom Capers, the Packers defense has made a complete transformation into a new unit. The most impressive turnaround comes from the defensive line and the front 7’s ability to stop the run. Pickett has turned around his career in Green Bay and done a fantastic job at NT on run downs, where almost all of his snaps have come. First round pick BJ Raji is seeing most of the snaps in passing situations. He’s one of the under-the-radar tackles in the league. The Packers should look to retain Pickett, but if he ends up costing too much, the Packers already have some coin committed to Raji who has also played remarkably well in shared snaps. Losing Pickett would be a big blow to the depth of the Packers DL.

If I cant sign one of the above I move to the next level talent wise.

Tony Brown, Tennessee Titans (29)
While some of the Titans’ defensive line has struggled this season, Tony Brown hasn’t been one of them. Actually, he’s one of the underrated defensive tackles in the league and one of the best pass rushers from the interior. He is a quick, penetrating UT that the Titans are expected to re-sign. After losing Haynesworth last year, losing Tony Brown would be a big blow to the front line.

Kevin Walter, Houston Texans (29)
Walter hasn’t been nearly as effective as last year, coming off an injury early in the year. For the Texans offense that hasn’t been short of scoring this year, it could be a good thing for the team. Keeping Walter under the radar could help them hang on to him at season’s end for a less competitive price. His size and style of play suggests that he should be a solid complementary receiver for a long time in the league.

He fits in good here but I wouldnt break the bank on him. Jacoby Jones should factor into this decision. Physically he is ready to take over this spot but where is he mentaly? Its really up in the air IMO. There are several ways we could go here. I think we low ball Walter and see where it goes from there. If he doesnt bite we let Walter walk and take a chance on Jacoby. If they dont think Jones is the answer we could dip into FA for a guy like

Malcom Floyd, San Chargers (28)
Over the recent weeks, Malcom Floyd has been given more responsibilities, starting 6 of the last 7 games, in the Chargers offense and this lengthy, 6’5”, 225-pound receiver has delivered for the Chargers. Similar to Vincent Jackson, Floyd does a great job getting vertical down the sidelines to make grabs in single coverage. He uses his height and balance to come down with the ball more often than not. Floyd will be a full-time starting number two receiver next year either in San Diego or elsewhere.

His size alone would make him a dangerous redzone threat opposite Johnson. We all know how much that would help the team.

If it were up to me------Floyd would be my first option. I would offer him solid #2 type money.

Owen Daniels, Houston Texans (27)
Daniels was well on his way to potentially leading all tight ends in the three big statistical categories prior to his ACL injury which required reconstructive surgery. With that, Daniels’ hopes of receiving a contract in line with the league’s premier tight ends were lost. Expect the Texans to offer Daniels a one-year contract to get an idea of his post-injury ability before negotiating a long-term deal. The franchise tag is always also another option if the two sides can’t reach a one-year agreement.

Obviously he was extremely important to this team. However we did offer him a solid contract and he turned it down. Im not sure I want to go the Daunte Robinson route again. If he checks out physically I would weight my options and either offer him a low one year contract or go after a cheaper but solid FA. Someone like

Tony Scheffler, Denver Broncos (27)
Scheffler hasn’t been the weapon he could be with his great athleticism and soft hands. Instead, the Broncos have used him more frequently in their offensive sets this year, but also have asked him to block more often. Scheffler had a big Monday Night game earlier this year against San Diego where he showed his potential by eclipsing the 100 yard mark, but has broken 50 only one other time this entire season. He’s on pace for his worst season since his rookie year where he was sparingly used. As far as we know, Scheffler hasn’t voiced any dissatisfaction, but is as at least as likely to leave Denver as he is to stay.

OR

Bo Scaife, Tennessee Titans (29)
Scaife isn’t a particularly flashy tight end or doesn’t have the athletic gifts of one of the top pass catchers, but he’s a balanced tight end who excels at making catches in the short game. As the Titans’ leader in receptions a year ago, don’t expect his numbers to decrease much with Vince Young at quarterback, his collegiate quarterback at Texas; the two have nice chemistry. The Titans love what they have in the more gifted rookie, Jared Cook, so if the money isn’t right, Scaife could be a nice pick-up for many teams around the league.

OR

Ben Watson, New England Patriots (29)
For stretch there, it appeared as if the athletically-gifted Watson was about to shoulder a larger role in the Patriots offense. He’s shown his long speed and ability to vertically challenge defenses on several occasions this year. Bill Belichick has never featured tight ends in his offense, but Watson could be one of the better potential tight ends on the market this year if a team offers a bigger pass-catching role to him.

OR

Anthony Fasano, Miami Dolphins (26)
You will get a good look at him this Sunday.

All these guys are on the right side of 30, would fit in nicely in this offense and would be cheaper than what OD will cost if he even returns to the player he was before injury.

If it were my decision I think I would go FA route and see if I could bring in one of these guys at a reasonable rate first. I would imagine any one of them would rather play in our TE freindly offense over where they are at now. I just dont want to break the bank on a this position with so many holes still on this team.

Mike Brisiel, Houston Texans (27)

Im looking to upgrade here anyway so offer a lowball conract.

Chester Pitts, Houston Texans (31)

He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a major injury. He has been a good guy but its time to move on.

If I werent able to get one of the top DT's available Guard would be second on my list of big FA splash.

I would try going after Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints (27)
Jahri Evans is continuing to grade out as the team’s best run-blocking linemen week after week. The Saints have done a nice job of efficiently running the ball through the middle and on the right side of the line. His continual high level of play and positive, team-first attitude should translate to a high-end offensive guard contract at year’s end. Expect the Saints, who have nothing but positive things to say towards Evans, to richly reward him for his hard work and production. Second on my list would be

Logan Mankins, New England Patriots (28)
Logan Mankins has been a very consistent player for the Patriots since he was drafted, starting all 77 games. That type of consistency is difficult to match, but with free agency inflating the value of offensive guards, the Patriots may end up letting him walk if the price isn’t right. They drafted a couple interior linemen last year and have to use some of their free money to re-sign other players. From what Mankins has said, he wants to stay on this winning franchise, but he could be one of the top players available next offseason.

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans (26)
Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. With rookie sensation Brian Cushing next to him, the Texans have the beginnings of a good front 7. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, and Houston will almost definitely re-sign Ryans to keep intact the foundation of Ryans-Cushing-Williams front 7. If the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere.

Simple, do what it takes and Resign him so long as it doesnt handcuff the team from making future moves.

Dunta Robinson, Houston Texans (28)
After holding out for nearly the entire offseason, Dunta Robinson stepped in and played pretty poorly, allowing a number of intermediate catches against him. Over the last few weeks, Robinson has stepped up his play and limited the damage. With an entire offseason of workouts, Robinson can return to form and be one of the better corners in the league, but it’ll be interesting to see how the situation plays out next offseason after an up and down season this year. The Texans may not be ready to commit top-end money and if Dunta isn’t given it, he may try free agency if Houston doesn’t place the franchise tag on him yet again.

No way I franchise him again. I dont think he has played as bad as other seem to think but he is most certainly not an elite CB and doesnt deserve to be paid as one. I would offer him a contract that would put him in the top 15 range and let him decide if he wants it or walks.

With an improved front seven I wouldnt be scared going into next season with Quin and Reeves as my starters. I know that isnt ideal but it wouldnt be as bad as some think. We could also add some talent in the draft and maybe a second teir veteran FA.

Last edited by mussop; 12-24-2009 at 09:58 AM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How would you aproach FA this offseason?

Hey, where'd you find this??
Good info.

...oh and nice avatar
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #3
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

I'd sign one FA offensive lineman, and one defensive FA lineman.
Re-sign our own FA's within reason, and trade back in the draft to get more picks in the first 4 rounds.

I'm all about trading back!
Old 12-24-2009   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd start free agency now and pick up a kicker. I'd like the organization to do what it takes to give themselves their best chance to win the last two games.

I'd like to see effort, commitment, and honest evaluation at the management levels.
Old 12-24-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the original post. I also believe we go OL and DL in FA and make a big splash there. Many won't agree with me that the WR position needs to be upgraded outside of AJ. Keep in mind that Andre Davis is a FA this year too, so if you drop him and get a big splash FA like Malcolm Floyd you still upgraded the position. Kevin Walter disappointed but I'm sure he can bounce back.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I try to do the following in free agency in no particular order:

Re-sign DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels.

Make a reasonable offer to Dunta Robinson that I know he will refuse

Try to sign the best G in free agency to upgrade the left side. He either supplants Chester on the left or holds off Caldwell on the right. Either way I must improve one of those spots at the very least.

Try to pry Peyton Hillis off of the Broncos roster with a draft pick. I don't expect this to be too hard.

Then in the draft I'm looking for a franchise running back, a replacement for Dunta Robinson (but Quinn will be fine opposite Reeves for the time being), a center to push or replace Myers, and a replacement for Eugene Wilson. at FS. I already know I won't get them all but I can without a doubt get a couple of them. My priority is on running back (assuming I can get my FA guard) because in 2010 we're running the ball like a madman.

_______

Just realized that I completely forgot about Pollard. I agree with Goldensilence on the 2-3 year deal. I'd hate for him to go all Will Demps on us. I don't expect it but I'd make him a good, solid offer but nothing insane. I think we could get him for a reasonable price, particularly if the deal was good enough over a short period of time for him to believe that he could get a bigger contract following this one.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd do what most of you all are saying, but I'd also add to the list...

Try and acquire LenWhale White in free agency.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2009   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I'd do what most of you all are saying, but I'd also add to the list...

Try and acquire LenWhale White in free agency.
I was just about to type the same thing. Matter of fact I even started a thread about this possibility 3 weeks ago.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67367
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #9
CharloTex
All Pro

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 23819 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=El Tejano;1331363]I agree with the original post. I also believe we go OL and DL in FA and make a big splash there. Many won't agree with me that the WR position needs to be upgraded outside of AJ. Keep in mind that Andre Davis is a FA this year too, so if you drop him and get a big splash FA like Malcolm Floyd you still upgraded the position. Kevin Walter disappointed but I'm sure he can bounce back.[/QUOTE]

I've seen this sentiment repeated over the latter part of the season, and even though Walter has killed my fantasy teams by not producing numbers, I'm here to defend him. He hasn't himself done anything to change his numbers this year, in my honest opinion (I don't know all those accronyms). Quite simply, he hasn't been thrown to (targeted) like he was in past years when the Texans had to depend on him more. When he is targeted, he catches the ball as reliably as he ever did. He may not have pulled in as many off-target balls as in the past, and he hasn't broken any long after-the-catch runs like last year, but that's not indicative of a fading skillset. If Andre went down for any reason (rub anti-jinx cream all over this statement), Walter would be right there to pick up (some of) the slack.

I'll take Walter over J. Jones every day. Walter is consistent, Jones is anything but consistent.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #10
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Disband team and start over ....

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd re-sign Demeco Ryans, and Kevin Walter immediately. I'd make lowball offers to Chester Pitts and Owen Daniels for one year with lots of incentives and bonuses so that they can prove their worth and health. I'd make a low offer to Mike Brisiel since I'd like to keep him as a backup. I'd make an offer to Dunta that's lower than last year since he was mediocre this year and if he refuses let him walk and then really go after Joe Haden in the draft as his replacement. I'd go after Logan Mankins in FA, I think he'd do alot to solidify our O-line. I'd also go after some of the medium to low level CB's and FS's and hope that we get lucky with someone that can contribute. My big splash in FA though would be to re-sign Ryans and Walter and go after Mankins.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

We have at least two more potentially career ending games to play. I'll address our FA needs after the games have been played. I guarantee that list will change. Nice write up though. I enjoyed it. Thanks for taking that time to write it up.
Old 12-24-2009   #13
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

FA Goals (in order)
1. Re-sign Meco.
2. Re-sign Daniels.
3. Re-sign Pollard. (I assume he must be a FA after this season?)
4a. CB -- if we can find good value for a shutdown corner (ie., not likely, but make the effort), do it. If not, draft the position in round 1 or 2.
4b. FS -- similar argument as for CB.
4c. OL -- guard. I cannot opine intelligently on the relative merits of this player or that, but I do agree with earlier observations on age.

Thesis: Our secondary needs work. Neither Dunta nor Reeves are the #1 shutdown corner, IMHO. With a shutdown corner and another solid safety to complete the hard-nosed play of Pollard, this defense will be salty.

One man's opinion.

All the best,
Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #14
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Lock up OD and DeMeco long term (at least 5 years/ i would love to c like 7+).
2) Resign Pollard for at least 3 years.
3) Offer Dunta a little above nickel CB money - if he declines, goodbye.
4) Cut both Browns. I like Kris Brown alot but you cant have a kicker who you are unable to count on when you need him.

In that order of importance. If we do not resign DeMeco and OD, I will really question the Houston leadership/FO.
Old 12-24-2009   #15
TexansMVP
Probowler

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Here's the complete breakdown of the other free agents.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

-lock up demeco, daniels, and pollard.
-moderate contracts to dunta and pitts.
-release both browns
-i've never been much of a walter fan so either direction is fine with me, as long as it's cheap
-first in free agency should be the biggest (literally - we need a pat williams collapse the pocket type nose tackle) name at DT possible ... it's no secret that Hampton would be my favorite, but there are some strong players potentially available.
-if at all possible, pay a little extra for a proven interior offensive lineman through free agency - we're at our fill of developing lineman and need an immediate impact. an experience signal caller at center would be ideal, but unlikely.
-best player available in the secondary in the first round
-improve the offensive weapons in rounds 2-3
-bpa on second day, more secondary and defensive ends would be nice, along with a kicker
Old 12-24-2009   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

didnt know jahri evans was a FA this year. talk about a marquee player that would fill a huge need. should be our priority in FA after our own players imo. singlehandedly, he could help transform our weakness in the run game
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's important to lock up OD and Ryans. I'd keep an eye on OD's injury but, from what I know it's not career threatening. I think it's important to show commitment to talent we grow here. It's important for people on the team and the organization's rep around the league for taking care of their own.

Kevin Walter's numbers have dropped this year, but I don't feel it's any fault of his own. He just hasn't been targetted as much and I am curious as to why he hasn't taken over the middle of the field supplanting what OD did. Looking at the FA list Malcolm Flyod will be available, Lee Evans, and Steve Breaston are really the only people I'd consider an upgrade. But I like KW's game overall and I think if we makea reasonable offer he'd take it.

IMO screw offering Dunta anything. I think he made it pretty clear what he wants. I'd rather take a shot with some of the young guys we have and look to draft a CB high, like if Haden slips to us. Looking over the FA list of CBs there's no real shutdown guy available this year, however Ashton Youboty is available. I was intrigued when he came out of OSU and perhaps a change of scenery outside of Buffalo could help. He's also from Klein HS, might be interested in coming back home to recharge his batteries and career.

I'd offer Pollard a 2-3 year deal, preferably a two year. For some reason we have a history of guys coming in and making an impact at safety then tailing off the following year. No one in the FA market enamors me at FS, it would be a good year to draft a young, impact FS if Haden is gone.

I think N.E. chose to retain Wilfork as opposed to Seymour, and that's why they decided to unload him. I'd try to go after Seymour as he'd be able to work well as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. However, it wouldn't suprise me to see him try to sign on in Miami or NY Jets to play his former team twice a year. Would love to see Hampton come home to Texas as well. Overall we need to address a big need at DT(still).

Would love to go after Evans or Mankins. I have a feeling Mankins will see what NE offers him and see who is interested around the league. I think he's make a difference here. Not sure how NO looks with cap space and who they need to resign, but Evans would be nice as well. We need to address guard or Center not just for starters but depth. Also a spot we need to look at in the draft early.

Far as RB's in FA go Jerious Norwood is supposedto be available, I think he's worth a look. I also like the idea of trying to Pry Peyton Hillis off the Broncos. We need someone to compliment Slaton next year.

Next two games should be the final judgement for Kubiak's job. Unforunately I think barring getting completetly blown out in both I don't think Bob McNair makes achange, I'd love to be surprised by that considering he was saying playoffs were the expectation at the begining of the year. IF Kubiak comes back they need to make a big push to fill as many holes as possible and make a farily big splash in FA to keep fan interest and erase any possible excuse Kubiak has if he can't make the playoffs...again.

I know we have the NFC East next year. Brutal. Does anyone know what AFC division we'll be playing?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Hey, where'd you find this??
Good info.

...oh and nice avatar
Sorry in and out with the FLU. Link. And thanks for the Avatar.
Old 12-24-2009   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

I know we have the NFC East next year. Brutal. Does anyone know what AFC division we'll be playing?
the east. same as in kubiak's first year here
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read