Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-24-2009   #1
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A little update on the LA stadium...

As of right now, there are 7 teams being targeted.

They are (in no particular order):
  • Oakland Raiders
  • St. Louis Rams
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • San Diego Chargers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Buffalo Bills
  • San Francisco 49ers

Some things to note:
  • Ed Roski (main financial backer of LA Stadium) wants to own the team. This probably means the Raiders won't be moving to LA Stadium (doesn't necessarily mean they won't move to LA). As you all know, Davis isn't ever going to let go of "his" team . I believe Roski has the best chance to buy the Rams, followed by the Jags.
  • From the video on this page (link: http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/sports/nf...geles-20091201 ) the man in the video says there is a 50/50 chance a team will be playing in LA next season (probably in the Coliseum until LA Stadium is finished), and a "100%" chance of one playing there by 2011. He seems pretty confident, I would imagine they are pretty close to striking a deal with a team then.
  • Ideally, they want 2 teams in LA. This was a rumor floating around for a while, but I guess it is true. Judging from the video, it seems as if they would like to get both teams in LA at the same time. Not really sure what to make of it.

I personally think depending on how the Jags fare in the postseason that they are the most likely to move. If they do well (or by some miracle make it to the SuperBowl) then they will probably stay a bit longer. If not the Jags, I can see the Rams coming back to LA.

The teams I don't see moving to LA are the 49ers, Vikings, and Bills. 49ers are Northern California's team, and I doubt they will be successful in SoCal. I feel that the Vikings and Bills have a strong fanbase already in place, and I doubt the owner of either team would want to sell their team.

What do you guys think? Which team(s) out of those 7 will most likely be moving to LA? The least likely?
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #2
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A little update on the LA stadium...

I still can't get over Cali possibly having 4 teams again and they want LA team "2"?
Old 12-24-2009   #3
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, California is pretty big. If all of the Cali teams stay and two new ones are brought in...that will be 5 teams. I don't see how 5 teams in Cali would work. Guess it will be an interesting offseason .
Old 12-24-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. 2 more teams? In LA? Where team after team has failed to stick?

I'd totally rather create more teams. One in LA, one in San Antonio, one in Canada somewheres, and one in North Dakota.

What? WHy the hell not in North Dakota?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #5
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a little old school, so I would like to see the Rams back in LA.

Last edited by 4Texans; 12-24-2009 at 08:55 PM.
4Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

They need no more than one team back in LA.

They have trouble selling out some Chargers games in San Diego and they are one of the best teams in the AFC right now.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

No matter how big LA is they have a history of failing to support teams. I don't see in chance of them getting two teams. The Jags are the team best poised to go. Even when they make play-off runs they aren't supported.
Old 12-24-2009   #8
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

They only want a team in LA for the TV market, where all the money is made.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #9
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Well, California is pretty big. If all of the Cali teams stay and two new ones are brought in...that will be 5 teams. I don't see how 5 teams in Cali would work. Guess it will be an interesting offseason .
Why wouldn't it? Florida has just 18 million people and has three teams. The LA region alone has 18 million people.... It could work, but best not to overload now. LA has already lost two teams before. I think the Jags will make a new home in LA. MJD will become the new Kobe/Manny (just the football version).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how it can be any team BUT the Jags moving. Their attendance is embarrassing to the NFL.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #11
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. 2 more teams? In LA? Where team after team has failed to stick?

I'd totally rather create more teams. One in LA, one in San Antonio, one in Canada somewheres, and one in North Dakota.

What? WHy the hell not in North Dakota?
The NFL has stated multiple times they don't want to have any more expansion teams. They would like to stick with the 32 teams they have now.

Also, Rams and Raiders didn't move only because of low attendance. Davis moved because he failed to get a new stadium....and because he's Al Davis . Rams I believe also moved for a similar reason, plus then-owner Frontiere was from St. Louis; so I guess the decision to move and alienate a ton of fans in LA was simple.

I have a strong feeling in 2010 we will see the Los Angeles Jaguars (or whatever they decide to call the team). IF the Jags do move, I wonder if they will stay in the AFC South.
Old 12-24-2009   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
The NFL has stated multiple times they don't want to have any more expansion teams. They would like to stick with the 32 teams they have now.

Also, Rams and Raiders didn't move only because of low attendance. Davis moved because he failed to get a new stadium....and because he's Al Davis . Rams I believe also moved for a similar reason, plus then-owner Frontiere was from St. Louis; so I guess the decision to move and alienate a ton of fans in LA was simple.

I have a strong feeling in 2010 we will see the Los Angeles Jaguars (or whatever they decide to call the team). IF the Jags do move, I wonder if they will stay in the AFC South.
Most sense would be to move St. Louis back to LA and soon after Jags to St. Louis. If there wasn't such history with the AFC west, the most sense would be move the LA team to the NFC west to replace the Rams and then have either KC or Denver move to the AFC South.

Possibly new LA ownership is highballing for two but, really looking for only one team. I don't see how the ycould convince the NFL with their history they could keep support for two teams. Personally I'm still leery they can even support one for a prolonged period.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #13
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

If The Jags move to LA, i think it'd call for a realignment, which could do nothing but benefit the Texans. I don't think it'd happen due to classic rivalries but here's how the AFC should look.

AFC South:
Texans
Titans
Chiefs
Dolphins?

AFC North:
Bengals
Browns
Colts
Steelers

AFC East:
Ravens
Pats
Jets
Bills

AFC West:
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Jags

This is me just brainstorming here, and i really doubt a realignment would happen, but man that'd be awesome for us.
Old 12-24-2009   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only team that should be moving to LA is the Rams. They belong in LA and they're in an ideal situation to actually find themselves moving to LA. The Jaguars would then move (at a slightly later time) to St. Louis to fill the void left by the Rams. Jacksonville will (unfortunately for the fans there) fade back into the obscurity that is its destiny.

This works out perfectly because St. Louis was a favorite to get the expansion team that became the Jaguars. They could even change their name to the "St Louis Stallions" like they intended when they tried to get the expansion team that became the Jags if they want to avoid stepping on (dubious) Jacksonville's style.

And two teams? No chance in hell.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #15
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care as long as they leave the Niners alone! IMHO, LA doesn't deserve a team at all. They have had numerous chances and blown them all. Screw the TV market, it won't be any different.

And just because this is an opinion board, and I'm in a foul mood, I hope San Antonio NEVER gets an NFL team. It would be a bigger failure than Jacksonville.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #16
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No matter how big LA is they have a history of failing to support teams. I don't see in chance of them getting two teams. The Jags are the team best poised to go. Even when they make play-off runs they aren't supported.
*History of failing to support NFL teams not other sports.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #17
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 30145 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jags can barely fill half the stadium when they are fighting for a playoff spot. Time for them to move somewhere. It would add a lot more interest to the AFC South if we had the LA Jags (or Tiger Woods could buy them and change the name to the "Cheatahs"). Or a realignment (why is Indianapolis in the "South"? They are about the same distance to Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Chicago as Katy is to Baytown.)

I think 32 teams is perfect. Expansion will screw up the beauty of each conference having 4 divisions with 4 teams. Unless you add 8 teams, you will have uneven division sizes. And then people will start agigating for turning the playoffs into basketball or hockey (you have a team? not the Clippers? welcome to the playoffs!) However, there are already teams in Green Bay, Irving - oops - Arlington, Nashville, Jacksonville, Foxboro and 2 in East Rutherford so maybe North Dakota makes sense...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

North Dakota? Damn, they better have an indoor stadium.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Realignment is very unlikely.

Totally unrelated, I'd like to see us doing a home and home with the Saints. I think that could become a good rivalry. Cowboys too. I'd like the NFL to create more rivalries. And eliminate the record based games. Instead of playing the damn Dolphins every year we would play another rivalry game with one of those teams.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #20
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would the Jags have to move out of the AFC South if they went to LA? Last time I checked, LA was in the southern half of the U.S.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read