Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-22-2009   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What if Kubiak re-signs

What if Bob doesn't want his coach to be coaching with uncertainty in 2010, and extends him beyond his current deal? Most of the time if owners want to keep their current coach on board, they won't let them go into the final year of their deal without an extension.

(I made that last sentence up, but it's true at least some of the time... but probably not with a coach in Kubiak's situation.)

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: What if Kubiak re-signs

funny what a difference a hyphen made.
Old 12-22-2009   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
funny what a difference a hyphen made.
Yeah, I see what you did there...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak will be a very good head coach someday. It might not be with the Texans, but I do believe he will as soon as he shows signs of being able to learn from his mistakes.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think Kubiak will be a very good head coach someday. It might not be with the Texans, but I do believe he will as soon as he shows signs of being able to learn from his mistakes.
Exactly. I was just thinking that this morning. He's a smart guy, but he comes off as one of those people who just doesn't "get it."
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey I have no doubt that Kubiak can get into the playoffs. With enough tries...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Hey I have no doubt that Kubiak can get into the playoffs. With enough tries...
hell, only like 4 teams are officially out of it in the AFC, so if you hang in there long enough your bound to get in eventually.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2009   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
hell, only like 4 teams are officially out of it in the AFC, so if you hang in there long enough your bound to get in eventually.
I wonder if Kubiak is even able to look at the standings; is he capable of glancing at all the scenarios it takes for us to make the playoffs?

I imagine that he probably begins to look at it, but can't find the inner resolve to look at it. Cringes. Turns away and grinds his teeth, wiping a hand over his eyes.

Such is the life for the Cowardly Lion.

(and "Yes" I know that I am bitter right now. Probably going to last until 2011)
Old 12-22-2009   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, it just dawned on me.

This team DOES have a killer instinct.

It kills our expectations every damn season.
Old 12-22-2009   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I wonder if Kubiak is even able to look at the standings; is he capable of glancing at all the scenarios it takes for us to make the playoffs?

I imagine that he probably begins to look at it, but can't find the inner resolve to look at it. Cringes. Turns away and grinds his teeth, wiping a hand over his eyes.

Such is the life for the Cowardly Lion.

(and "Yes" I know that I am bitter right now. Probably going to last until 2011)
I'm sure he glances away when he sees the standings like he won't watch important plays or kicks of any consequence.

Old 12-22-2009   #11
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure he glances away when he sees the standings like he won't watch important plays or kicks of any consequence.
I know that all of you guys's little shots at Kubiak's knowledge of the team are mostly in fun, but we should keep in mind that Kubiak probably knows more than any of us where the team is at and what it takes to get to the playoffs. Which is a miracle.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #12
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

edit: nvm
Old 12-22-2009   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I know that all of you guys's little shots at Kubiak's knowledge of the team are mostly in fun, but we should keep in mind that Kubiak probably knows more than any of us where the team is at and what it takes to get to the playoffs. Which is a miracle.
I hear what you're saying but keep something in mind. Most teams in the NFL have been to the playoffs over the last decade. I mean, even the one and done teams have coaching staffs populated by men who know more than any of us about where their team is at and what it takes to get to the playoffs. This isn't the lost formula for greek fire or a map to El Dorado we're talking about. It's a well documented process that a large number of head coaches, assistant head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches have been a part of at one stop or another along the way.

"Knowing" is only part of the equation. The ability to apply that knowledge in a practical manner is at least as important. Gary could watch Mike Shanahan win a dozen Super Bowls and it wouldn't do him a bit of good if he wasn't able to apply what he had hopefully learned to his own team and their circumstances/situation.

That's what Gary Kubiak has failed to demonstrate to anyone up to this point.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Dom Capers could say the same thing about his team, so what does that matter?

Old 12-22-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Bingo.
Old 12-22-2009   #16
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I used to say the same thing about Jerry Glanville.
Old 12-22-2009   #17
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

one thing has becoming crystal clear the last few weeks...

the "keep Kubiak at least one more season" crowd will be accepting of when and if the Texans do fire him at seasons end, than the "fire Kubiak" crowd will be if he is kept.

Old 12-22-2009   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak

the "keep Kubiak at least one more season" crowd will be accepting of when and if the Texans do fire him at seasons end, than the "fire Kubiak" crowd will be if he is kept.
Of course some of them will be more accepting. As soon as a new coach puts on a Texans jacket he'll get the benefit of the doubt in all discussions. In turn, Kubiak will be spoken about with the disdain all ex-Texans (except Charles Spencer) receive.

For many, it seems it's more about the logo than performance.
Old 12-22-2009   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Quote:

Of course some of them will be more accepting. As soon as a new coach puts on a Texans jacket he'll get the benefit of the doubt in all discussions. In turn, Kubuak will be spoken about with the disdain all ex-Texans (except Charles Spencer) receive.

For many, it seems it's more about the logo than performance.
Oh - and he'll most likely be a better coach too. I'm optimistic the Texans can find a better than average coach and be better than average.
Old 12-22-2009   #20
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Oh - and he'll most likely be a better coach too. I'm optimistic the Texans can find a better than average coach and be better than average.

19 teams currently have .500 or below records this season. Where do you believe the Texans should begin this search for this "better than average coach"? consider other teams will be searching for coaches at the seasons end as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read