Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Transcripts from Kubiak/Shanahan's playcalling inside the 10:

I do not understand why the Texans use AJ as a decoy inside the 10 yard line (if they don't take him off the field altogether). He's built for the fade route to the back of the endzone. Yet the coaches are content to let AJ and Schaub play pitch and catch across the field so they can outsmart themselves once the field gets smaller.

Kubiak: We really have been moving the ball, another great catch by AJ!!!

Lil Shanny: Yeah!!! Now lets get the ball in Chris "doo doo" Brown's hands to finish them off!!!

Kubiak: Great idea buddy!!! Teams always try to stop AJ and can't seem to get the job done, but I am sure if we try to throw it to him in the endzone they're gonna be able to stop him!!!

Lil Shanny: That's right Kubes... We gotta outsmart them!!!
Old 12-20-2009   #2
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Transcripts from Kubiak/Shanahan's playcalling inside the 10:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I do not understand why the Texans use AJ as a decoy inside the 10 yard line (if they don't take him off the field altogether). He's built for the fade route to the back of the endzone. Yet the coaches are content to let AJ and Schaub play pitch and catch across the field so they can outsmart themselves once the field gets smaller.

Kubiak: We really have been moving the ball, another great catch by AJ!!!

Lil Shanny: Yeah!!! Now lets get the ball in Chris "doo doo" Brown's hands to finish them off!!!

Kubiak: Great idea buddy!!! Teams always try to stop AJ and can't seem to get the job done, but I am sure if we try to throw it to him in the endzone they're gonna be able to stop him!!!

Lil Shanny: That's right Kubes... We gotta outsmart them!!!

AJ:Chris Brown?!!!! Chris Brown gets the ball before me?!!! Mother#$%^&*!!!!
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

You forgot where they told Dreesen to drop a TD pass. That was a critical part of the gameplan.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #4
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
AJ:Chris Brown?!!!! Chris Brown gets the ball before me?!!! Mother#$%^&*!!!!
It's like inviting the slow kid to the debate team over the brainiac. Makes no damn sense.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #5
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

This might be one of the times AJ is talking about.

Quote:
“There are times they do things that have me scratching my head,” Johnson said. “I can't lie about that. I mean, really scratching my head.”
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #6
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care who they get the ball too, but please for the love of all that is holy, please make an attempt to get the ball to someone in the end zone at least once when you are inside the 10.

Oh yea...and why try it three times...let's kill one of our plays immediately by handing it to Chris Brown.

Very poor decision making on personnel on the field as well as play calling is what is killing this team, not the players. Foster should have at least been back on the field in the second half.

Hey Gary, you proved your point, you don't like fumbles...I don't like them either...but I'll go with the odds that Foster will get at least a freaking TD at some point in the game...something that Chris Brown is guaranteed not to do.

We know that it will be three and out if you give Chris Brown the ball...why not let Foster and Moats help you move the ball down the field...the chances of them fumbling are less than Chris Brown helping the team at any freaking point.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Johnson
“There are times they do things that have me scratching my head,” Johnson said. “I can't lie about that. I mean, really scratching my head.”
Andre Johnson's such a whiner....
Old 12-20-2009   #8
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

It's sick the way that Kubes can not figure out that AJ can be effective inside the 20. Another reason he deserves to be canned, IMO.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #9
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on now dont be to hard on 'em lol. but to thier defense its not all bad play calling. If joel can freakin catch a ball his paid to catch its a great play call.
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #10
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I don't care who they get the ball too, but please for the love of all that is holy, please make an attempt to get the ball to someone in the end zone at least once when you are inside the 10.

Oh yea...and why try it three times...let's kill one of our plays immediately by handing it to Chris Brown.

Very poor decision making on personnel on the field as well as play calling is what is killing this team, not the players. Foster should have at least been back on the field in the second half.

Hey Gary, you proved your point, you don't like fumbles...I don't like them either...but I'll go with the odds that Foster will get at least a freaking TD at some point in the game...something that Chris Brown is guaranteed not to do.

We know that it will be three and out if you give Chris Brown the ball...why not let Foster and Moats help you move the ball down the field...the chances of them fumbling are less than Chris Brown helping the team at any freaking point.
That's what I don't get. You have a kid that you need to evaluate, and from what we've seen so far, regardless of the fumble, he's a much better RB than Brown. Okay, that's not saying much, but I would have loved to see if Foster could have mustered more than 2.2 YPC.

BUT KUBES SURE SHOWED FOSTER! TEACH THAT BOY A LESSON!!

Put me squarely in the "let us see what Foster can do" camp and leave Brown off the team flight back to Houston. Strand that guy in St. Louis.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

"CB's 0 yard gains set up the play action passes that work so well"

Yeah but what if someone could gain 2 or 3? Mega play action?

"CB's the best pass blocking RB"

Yeah but he's the worst RB. In the league.

"Veteran"

Of suck.

"Doesn't lose the football"

Except on the goalline at the end of games or when he's doing an impression of Jay Cutler.

Put me in the "I'm a better RB than Chris Brown is" camp.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

posted this in another thread fits good here so

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Kubiak is sub par in every major aspect of coaching, Game planning, game management and personell decisions are his achillies heal. If he had improved in any of those areas over the last 4 years this teams playoff hopes wouldnt be in someone elses hands. The talent is here it just needs better direction.

Kubiak starts Chriss Brown and throws half back passes and throws balls in the endzone to everyone but our best player AJ. When he finally decides to make Johnson the focal point we take off. Too bad we had to loose four games in a row for him to figure it out. Now one week later he feeds AJ the ball and its working great and moving the chains so what does he do when we get in the redzone? Tries to run up the middle (our biggest weakness) then pass to our backup TE.

That is how Kubiak coaches. He doesnt pay attention to the situation. He puts the ball in the wrong players hands at the wrong time. Its as if he doesnt even consider whos playing the postion he intends the ball to go to. You have to get the ball in your best players hands when it matters the most.

Its been four years and he still hasnt figured that out yet. So you see its not the players faults for making mistakes at criticle times costing the team, its Kubiaks for putting the ball the wrong players hands in those situations.

Until I see Kubiak stop making the same mistakes over and over you'll never convince me he is a good coach. Im not falling for the excuses anymore.
Old 12-21-2009   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dresson doesnt drop a gimmie TD that hit him right between the numbers - we arent having this conversation. They executed that play to perfection - accept for catching the damn ball.

The reason they use AJ as a decoy in the red zone is simple - when he has a larger field to work with , its much easier for him to flat out beat people - when you are in the red zone , there isnt as much space to work with. I have no problem with the play called -

I have a problem with an NFL TE dropping a ball that hit him in the numbers.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If Dresson doesnt drop a gimmie TD that hit him right between the numbers - we arent having this conversation. They executed that play to perfection - accept for catching the damn ball.

The reason they use AJ as a decoy in the red zone is simple - when he has a larger field to work with , its much easier for him to flat out beat people - when you are in the red zone , there isnt as much space to work with. I have no problem with the play called -

Also, for some reason, we are very poor executing the fade route in the red zone. AJ and Walter both have allowed defenders to pick the ball off and Schaub struggles with that short jump ball throw as well. I don't know why.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Also, for some reason, we are very poor executing the fade route in the red zone. AJ and Walter both have allowed defenders to pick the ball off and Schaub struggles with that short jump ball throw as well. I don't know why.
I think thats on Schaub .... he has to throw the ball where only his reciever can make a play on it , otherwise it falls incomplete or out of bounds.

This fact may be a big part of why the Texans choose to make some of these odd calls in the red zone .....

Old 12-21-2009   #16
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
It's like inviting the slow kid to the debate team over the brainiac. Makes no damn sense.
Funny you mention that, we just hired someone far less qualified than other applicants for our department. I know why, but it's still idiotic.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I will tell you who did have a problem with it, Andre Johnson. Did you see his reaction on the sideline after the play?
Old 12-21-2009   #18
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree...so your thinking is that it takes more space for AJ to get open than it does any of our other players? Making AJ a "decoy" only works if you have used him as the primary, kind of like play action...which also baffles me as to why teams don't completely avandon run D and have their DE pin their ears back and go for the sack every time...even if we do run CB is only going to fall for a 2 yard gain. Play action only works when you can run the ball...or at least it's supposed to be that way. AJ is only a decoy when we throw him the freaking ball in the endzone at some point inside the 20.
Old 12-21-2009   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I will tell you who did have a problem with it, Andre Johnson. Did you see his reaction on the sideline after the play?
Did he have a problem with the play called - or the fact that one of his teammates dropped a gimmie ? The play was well designed , the ball was well thrown - he flat out dropped a gimmie.

As a coach in the NFL you have to EXPECT that guy to make a play. This aint the half back option we're talkin bout here. That was a solid playcall.

Old 12-21-2009   #20
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

...and another thing...AJ is open even when he isn't open.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read