Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-18-2009   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Toby Gerhart news

I just found following info from December 9th that running back Gerhart may have decided to enter NFL draft.

12/09/09 - Stanford running back Toby Gerhart appeared to accidentally disclose his NFL plans Tuesday, and if you’re a Stanford fan, the news wasn’t good. Here’s the chronology: During a press conference Tuesday morning to discuss the Heisman Trophy, Gerhart was asked if he had made a decision on next year. (He has the option to return to school.) His response: “Not yet. I’m soaking everything in.” Asked if winning the Heisman would affect his decision, he added: “I don’t know how much correlation there is between the Heisman and your pro potential.” But during an interview with Comcast’s Chronicle Live on Tuesday, Gerhart made a reference to training for the 40-yard dash: “I’m going to start training here shortly, get ready for the (NFL Draft) Combine.” Host Greg Papa then asked if that meant Gerhart had decided to enter the draft. Seemingly flustered — like he realized he said something he shouldn’t have — Gerhart stumbled for a second … then talked briefly about making a decision after the Sun Bowl … then added: “But it’s looking like that’s the way it’s going to go.”… And that pronouncement, unofficially official as it might have been, should come as zero surprise to anyone who has watched Gerhart play this season. His stock will never be higher — he’s projected to go in the second or third round — and his body might never be healthier. Given his physical running style and the punishment he takes every carry, entering the draft (and getting that first contract) is the smart thing to do. And when the winter quarter starts next month, he’ll only be three classes short of his degree …Papa then asked the same question Gerhart got at the morning presser: Would the Heisman voting, however it goes, affect his decision to turn pro? Gerhart, having composed himself, said: “I don’t think so. It’s going to totally depend on my evaluations by the NFL.” - John Wilner, Mercury News

link http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=RB
Old 12-18-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Toby Gerhart news

He'll suck.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
He'll suck.
Can you expand on that? Why do you think he will suck? Do you think he is another Ron Dayne?
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a hard , downhill runner , but I think he's gonna have trouble holding onto the ball in the NFL. He's just a bit careless with the ball , many occasions I saw him holding it away from his body arms flailing around. He got away with it in college but that will be something defenses pick up on and target quickly in the NFL.

If that can be corrected he'll be a productive back .... I wouldnt want him any earlier than the 3rd. If someone else takes him earlier , fine - Lets fix the interior OL , S and CB spots.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see him in a Texan uni.

I was really impressed the few times I saw him in action.

Old 12-18-2009   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He's a hard , downhill runner , but I think he's gonna have trouble holding onto the ball in the NFL. He's just a bit careless with the ball , many occasions I saw him holding it away from his body arms flailing around. He got away with it in college but that will be something defenses pick up on and target quickly in the NFL.

If that can be corrected he'll be a productive back .... I wouldnt want him any earlier than the 3rd. If someone else takes him earlier , fine - Lets fix the interior OL , S and CB spots.
I don't think he is going to have any more trouble protecting the ball than any other RB in the NFL. He is as sound as it gets carrying the football, like most great backs who refuse to go down on contact is when he can gets in uncompromising positions but I'm not changing that it's what makes him special.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I haven't seen any ball carrying issues with Gerhart but otherwise agree with your assessment of him. I'd take him in the 3rd round if still available but no earlier and I agree let's fix the O-line first or no RB is going anywhere. We need to fix CB and FS as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2009   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first I have heard of ball security issues. I watched 4 games or so, and did not see any fumbles. He protects the ball going up the middle, and switches it to the outside hand along the sidelines.

Gerhart is my favorite back in the draft, closely followed by Dwyer. They are both pounding runners, Dwyer with more speed, but I think Gerhart has the edge in agility. I have seen some surprising cutbacks from him, considering he size.

My sig is how I feel.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

this is a very correctable issue, and has nothing to do with his ability as a runningback, basically.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That applies to almost every Rb, WR and QB in college football. We never would have drafted Slaton. I think high school coaches and most college coaches are so happy with a guy that can gain yardage that they do not focus on ball handling. How many fumbles did Gerhart have in his career?
Old 12-18-2009   #11
theanswer000
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 theanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden cover

He runs standing up, kind of like Chris Brown.
theanswer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #12
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That applies to almost every Rb, WR and QB in college football. We never would have drafted Slaton. I think high school coaches and most college coaches are so happy with a guy that can gain yardage that they do not focus on ball handling. How many fumbles did Gerhart have in his career?
0 fumbles in 677 touches in 4 years.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188524

That said, Slaton had 0 fumbles in his 3 years at West Virginia
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=174468
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gerhart needs to have great Bowl/all star games and a great combine. Or he will be drafted in the 3/4 rd. IMO

The reason for this is two fold
1. Injury issues (He's had knee surgery)
2. The dumb graduation rules, He will miss all of the OTA's due to the fact his class at Stanford doesn't graduate until after OTA's are finished. Therefore he'll be beind most of the other rookies in this class. (Remember Brandon Harrison)

Dwyer is my favorite RB in this class. Followed by Ryan Matthews (more speed) but Gerhart is in the same class as them. IMO

Hardesty is my sleeper RB in this class.

This class is a weak class overall. (No Depth) IMO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
0 fumbles in 677 touches in 4 years.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188524

That said, Slaton had 0 fumbles in his 3 years at West Virginia
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=174468
That is impressive considering his running style and how many hits he takes.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Gerhart needs to have great Bowl/all star games and a great combine. Or he will be drafted in the 3/4 rd. IMO

The reason for this is two fold
1. Injury issues (He's had knee surgery)
2. The dumb graduation rules, He will miss all of the OTA's due to the fact his class at Stanford doesn't graduate until after OTA's are finished. Therefore he'll be beind most of the other rookies in this class. (Remember Brandon Harrison)

Dwyer is my favorite RB in this class. Followed by Ryan Matthews (more speed) but Gerhart is in the same class as them. IMO

Hardesty is my sleeper RB in this class.

This class is a weak class overall. (No Depth) IMO
Nope, he graduates this semester. He crammed in some hours so he could prepare for the combine. He is done with school.
Old 12-18-2009   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer000 View Post
He runs standing up, kind of like Chris Brown.
Do you watch? Power backs cannot run standing up, or else they could not be great power backs. Gerhart knows how to get low to take on the hits, that is why it takes 2, 3, 4 guys to take him down.
Old 12-18-2009   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess at this point is that if Glen coffee can go before the Texans pick in the 3rd round, a player with size and dynamic production like Gerhart will go before that point. If i were to guess, i would think he between late first and mid-2nd.
Old 12-18-2009   #18
theanswer000
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 theanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden cover

He is just like Ron Dayne. Watch videos of Ron in college and Toby they are both basically the same. It just goes to show speed kills in the NFL. Most teams have a complete runner who can run the ball in any given situation. Why would you want to take a guy out on 3rd and 1 when he is hot? Best examples of these complete backs are.

Brandon Jacobs
Steven Jackson
Brian Westbrook when he was not hurt
Adrian Peterson
and many more

I just want the Texans to get a back that can come through on any given play.
theanswer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
He is just like Ron Dayne. Watch videos of Ron in college and Toby they are both basically the same. It just goes to show speed kills in the NFL. Most teams have a complete runner who can run the ball in any given situation. Why would you want to take a guy out on 3rd and 1 when he is hot? Best examples of these complete backs are.

Brandon Jacobs
Steven Jackson
Adrian Peterson
and many more

You made my point. Brandon Jacobs ran between a 4.51 and a 4.56, well within the range Gerhart is expected to run. You dont need 4.3 speed to be a stud back. A lot of it is agility, intuition and determination.

Steven Jackson ran a 4.55, again where Gerhart is supposed to be.
Old 12-18-2009   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Brandon Jacobs
Steven Jackson
Adrian Peterson
and many more

Actaully, Wisconson has a back who is almost exactly Ron Dayne by the name of John Clay. He is around 6'2 245-250 and does not run as tough as his size suggests although he is fine once he gets ahead of steam. If Clay comes out he probably is another 2nd maybe 3rd round possiblity.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read