Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-18-2009   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Report: Shanahan, Redskins in talks

Quote:
The Redskins and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan have begun talks over Washington's head-coaching position, The Denver Post has reported, a day after the team hired a new general manager.

The Redskins on Thursday hired Bruce Allen, the son of late Redskins Hall of Fame coach George Allen, after Vinny Cerrato abruptly resigned.

Allen maintained Jim Zorn was still the Redskins' coach.

"Give us some time to see how our relationship develops," Allen said.

Zorn's job status is believed to be tenuous with the Redskins' record at 4-9 and three games to play.

The Redskins host the rival New York Giants on Monday night.

The Broncos fired Shanahan after last season. He won Super Bowls in 1997 and '98 during his 14 seasons as coach. But Denver failed to advance to the playoffs for the third straight year.

It's uncertain how much leeway Allen will have to make the final call about the coach or the roster.

Neither he nor owner Dan Snyder would give details of their working agreement, but Snyder indicated that Allen will have more autonomy than some of the owner's previous front office hires.

"Obviously, Bruce has got the authority," Snyder said. "And when he makes a decision, the club makes a decision, it's a Redskins decision. ... I've not been as involved as people may have thought. In terms of the future, obviously we're going to be counting on Bruce to help lead the way."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4753860
Old 12-18-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Shanahan, Redskins in talks

Zorn's predicament reminds me of Kubiaks, especially since they look so much alike.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Shanahan will be here or Dallas. I also think both owners can get Chucky out of his newly signed announcing gig. Reports in Dallas is if Wade goes, they want one of those two.
Old 12-18-2009   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Zorn's predicament reminds me of Kubiaks, especially since they look so much alike.
Little Shanny moves to the Redskins and then we bring in another OC? This very possible move helps with the Kubiak purge should we get to that point.
Old 12-18-2009   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Little Shanny moves to the Redskins and then we bring in another OC? This very possible move helps with the Kubiak purge should we get to that point.
Do you really think Little Shanny goes to work for Daddy? I just don't see that. Although if it did happen, I can tell you I'd be closely following the 'Skins next year to check it out. I always love cheering for the team playing the Cowpatties, it would be interesting to actually have a team in that division that I actually follow. Right now, I don't really care anything about the other three teams in the Cowturds division.

Speaking of which, what is Little Shanny's contract situation? Anyone have any info on that?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Do you really think Little Shanny goes to work for Daddy? I just don't see that. Although if it did happen, I can tell you I'd be closely following the 'Skins next year to check it out. I always love cheering for the team playing the Cowpatties, it would be interesting to actually have a team in that division that I actually follow. Right now, I don't really care anything about the other three teams in the Cowturds division.

Speaking of which, what is Little Shanny's contract situation? Anyone have any info on that?
I have not seen anything on the contract, but have never seen that as a detractor for coordinators to move on. Moreover, we have had three OC's in Kubiak's four years.
Old 12-18-2009   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm not sure how well Bruce Allen and Gruden got along. they certainly didn't do any drafting or signing like they had any connection at all
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2009   #8
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Mort was just saying on ESPN that Allen was hinting that Lil Shanny is expected to go to Washington if daddy gets the job.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #9
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

I thought junior wanted to get out of dad's shadow and make it on his own, that's why he went to another team to go through the ranks.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

It's possible that his supercharged passing offense shines well enough cast a bit of a shadow of his own.

Having said that,

I just don't see it. To me, unless he's going to get a OC/AsstHC title with big time Snyder money I don't see how it's a step forward. If anything it is a step sideways and slightly back. I just don't see dear ol' dad giving him the kind of freedom he probably expects from Kubiak. It's speculation, but seems logical enough to me that he stays here.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #11
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see it the other way.

Old Shanny will see that Li'l Shanny has done a good job here.

Li'l Shanny knows that Kubes isn't likely to relinquish full control of the Denny's menu any time soon.

Li'l Shanny bolts to go play with Dad because Dad will let him hold the Denny's menu and order what he wants off of it.
Old 12-19-2009   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I see it the other way.

Old Shanny will see that Li'l Shanny has done a good job here.

Li'l Shanny knows that Kubes isn't likely to relinquish full control of the Denny's menu any time soon.

Li'l Shanny bolts to go play with Dad because Dad will let him hold the Denny's menu and order what he wants off of it.
Kubiak is doing exactly what Shanahan did with him as OC. And what is with all the carping about the play sheet? Every team has one and if the HC is offensive minded they usually carry them.
Old 12-19-2009   #13
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Kubiak is doing exactly what Shanahan did with him as OC. And what is with all the carping about the play sheet? Every team has one and if the HC is offensive minded they usually carry them.
I don't get that either. Belichick has his game sheets. I've never seen Sean Payton without his "Denny's Menu" and they're 13-0. Those "Denny's menu" digs are plain just silly.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #14
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I don't get that either. Belichick has his game sheets. I've never seen Sean Payton without his "Denny's Menu" and they're 13-0. Those "Denny's menu" digs are plain just silly.
You are right, but I think it's also silly the way they hold them up in front of their mouth when they talk. Your play calling isn't that good that anyone other that Belcheat is going to read your lips. And he has probably already has a scanner locked in on your radio channel.

I don't think it helps Lil Shanny to work for Daddy. Unless Kubiak gets soaped, I think he stays here.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lil Shanny has more job secuity in Washington than in Houston.

Snyder will probably give him more money and promised him the HC job. If things go well and in a few years when Shanny Sr retires.

If he doesn't get a HC job with another team in a couple of years.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #16
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jerry Jones hires his offensive coordinators first, then he hires his head coaches.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read