Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2009   #1
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Compiling possible coordinators

I still think it's probably 50-50 on Kubiak returning. We'll likely win vs St. Louis then I think what will really show if he returns is how we play in games vs the Dolphins and Patriots. I think if we don't win those games and don't get blown out unfortunately I don't see McNair making a change.

With that preface, if we were to make a change at HC. One argument I've heard against bringing in a new HC especially one who has been out of the game for a while is could they assemble a quality staff?

I think it might be hard to Carolina to axe Fox, but if they do he suddenly becomes available as a DC.

Jim Haslett is available. He hasn't been lights out as a HC but, his defenses have always played tough.

Charlie Weis will likely land a coordinator gig next year. He would have some nice pieces to work with here.

Though Romeo Crennel didn't work out as a HC, he's a HC at Western Kentucky atm. Might be interested in coming back to the NFL.

Can Eric Mangini survive a change in management in Cleveland? I doubt he'd get another shot as a HC but could go back to being a coordinator.

Does Jerry Gray get released when a coaching change is made in D.C.?

If the Cowboys continue their December swan dive, Wade Phillips might be convinced to come to Houston. He did play a big part in constructing a tough Chargers D.

Though it is pure speculation at this point I have to wonder if Lovie Smith sticks around in Chicago after this year. With Cutler they were supposed to take a big step forward and he's starting to face scrutiny in the Chicago media.

Brian Billick is out there.

Though I'd be a little hesitant I think Mike Martz could do some real fun stuff with the weapons he'd have here as an OC.

Jim Fassel would be interesting as a OC, hell actually he wouldn't make a bad HC candidate either.

Feel free to add.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #2
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Compiling possible coordinators

Just throwing some names out:

Mike Zimmer
Rob Ryan
Russ Grimm
Ron Rivera
Sean McDermott
Brian Schottenheimer
Jerry Gray
Gregg Williams
Leslie Frazier
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'd rather not take a chance on a coordinator that has failed at HC before. If we're going to take a chance on a coordinator, do it with some guy that's hungry. I'd rather go after one of the proven HCs that are available, but of the lists above, I have to say I am intrigued by Sean McDermott. Russ Grimm might interest me a little as well - then we'd have two coaches that could outplay Chris Myers on the OL.

Old 12-16-2009   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Kubiak is going anywhere but Mike Munchack may be ready for a step up. He's been the Titans line coach for a few years now. I'm all for Bruce Matthews as our HC with Munch as our OC...or vice versa

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't remember his name, but there's a DC out there that had success as HC with a new franchise in North Carolina a while back.
Old 12-16-2009   #6
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'd rather not take a chance on a coordinator that has failed at HC before. If we're going to take a chance on a coordinator, do it with some guy that's hungry. I'd rather go after one of the proven HCs that are available, but of the lists above, I have to say I am intrigued by Sean McDermott. Russ Grimm might interest me a little as well - then we'd have two coaches that could outplay Chris Myers on the OL.

I guess I should've been more clear. I've heard concern that if we bring in X headcoach (specifically, I've heard concerns about the kind of staff Cowher and Schottenheimer could compile) what could their coordinators look like?

Would I like a new HC? Yes. But, unlike this current regime I'd like them to be comfortable surrounding themselves with guys who have had success as well.

If we're going to the mentality of the team and franchise it's not just going to be the HC it has to also be the people who he surrounds himself with.

I don't only want a HC with a good track record or a hungry young guy. I want them to bring in guys who have a track record of success on the surrounding staff.

I think it's just as problematic that Kubiak hasn't done so.
Old 12-16-2009   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

If said it in other threads already over the last month but Mike Zimmer would be my guy. He has succeeded big time wherever he has gone and if you watched Hard Knocks he is a no-nonsense guy that can motivate. Plus I give him props for having a horrible deal with his wife dying out of the blue and yet he has coached his tail off this year.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 12-16-2009 at 04:14 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2009   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Goldensilence;1326151]
Quote:
I think what will really show if he returns is how we play in games vs the Dolphins and Patriots. I think if we don't win those games and don't get blown out unfortunately I don't see McNair making a change.
Judging by Mcnair's comments about great coaches not finishing 8-8 three times in a row, and the amount of great coaches that will be available, I think he gets canned if we don't finish 9-7 either way. What will keep that from happening is the players now having something to play for because they want Kubiak as the coach!

Quote:
If the Cowboys continue their December swan dive, Wade Phillips might be convinced to come to Houston. He did play a big part in constructing a tough Chargers D.
This is actually why aside from Cowher, I would still flash some money at Schottenheimer. I know he said he doesn't want to coach but if you flashed enough money to reconsider and Phillips got canned by Dallas, it would be real easy to get Phillips in Houston as a DC and the city might get pretty excited about Bum's boy coming back to Houston.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #9
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I've always thought that it would be great to be able to bring Wade to Houston. It would create a buzz because of him being Bum's son, and hes a hell of a coordinator.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #10
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 24962 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I can't remember his name, but there's a DC out there that had success as HC with a new franchise in North Carolina a while back.
I heard about this guy, he got his team to the conference championship game in two years, which is pretty good!

I think we need to give him a look.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure, but don't most HC bring in guys they have coached with before somewhere? I guess some will interview a guy based on his resume but never coached with.
Old 12-17-2009   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think Kubiak is going anywhere but Mike Munchack may be ready for a step up. He's been the Titans line coach for a few years now. I'm all for Bruce Matthews as our HC with Munch as our OC...or vice versa
I hear Matthews can switch a mean transparency. I bet he'd make an excellent head coach in the NFL.

Are you being serious? Surely you're kidding. Frank Bush was an oiler too. Why doesn't he get to be HC in your system of thinking?
Old 12-17-2009   #13
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm not sure, but don't most HC bring in guys they have coached with before somewhere? I guess some will interview a guy based on his resume but never coached with.
Anyone know if has Mike Nolan ever worked with Josh McDaniels?

Mike McCarthy with Dom Capers?

I am pretty sure Sean Payton hasn't worked with Gregg Williams before.

Point is that if we, hopefully, do make a change at a HC. I think we'll be doing it at a good time. There's lots of experienced talent around the league that will be/ or possibly can be available.

If we wait to do so next year there might not be such a bevy of coaching talent available.
Old 12-17-2009   #14
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would definitely so no to Martz no matter what happens to the coaching staff. His QBs tend to lead the league in getting the crud beaten out of them. Matt's pretty much made of paper mache. He'd be killed in a Martz offense.
Old 12-18-2009   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd like Munch, but Mike Heimerdinger has the resume.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bruce Matthews as HC? He has no qualifications whatsoever as a coach for that position. What would make you want him as a HC? I mean, granted, I love the guy and having him in the Texans organization is a very big plus for us. But HC?

I do love your idea of having both Bruce and Mike Munchack on our coaching staff though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read