Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2009   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tackles for loss

One good thing about this defense, that reminds me a little bit of the way the Eagles play, is that we are getting alot of stops behind the line of scrimmage. We have 47 tackles for loss, not including 22 sacks on the season. If you add the sacks we have 69 tackles for loss on the season.

I decided to compare that to years past, but the way ESPN has it calculated is weird. I add up all the individual player tackles for loss and get 47 for 2009. I do that for 2007 and get 40, but they have the total listed as 68. Both 2009 and 2008 have totals that add up exactly like the sum of the individual tackles for loss, it is odd that in the years before that the stats are totaled differently. I don't know if it is an error or what so I will just list the sum of the individual tackles for loss.

2009: 22 sacks, 47 tackles for loss. 69 combined. (through 13 games)

2008: 25 sacks, 39 tackles for loss. 64 combined.

2007: 31 sacks, 40 tackles for loss. 71 combined.

2006: 28 sacks, 47 tackles for loss. 75 combined.

2005: 37 sacks, 44 tackles for loss. 81 combined.

2004: 24 sacks, 40 tackles for loss. 64 combined.

2003: 19 sacks, 38 tackles for loss. 57 combined. (worst year)

2002: 35 sacks, 53 tackles for loss. 88 combined. (best year)

I would assume there are errors on the stat keeper's part, and/or differences in the way the stats were calculated but I doubt they are significant.

It's interesting to look at these numbers. It looks like we are going to have the most tackles for loss we've had since our first year, and may even beat that year. Our sacks haven't been very high, but we sure are tackling people behind the line of scrimmage this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tackles for loss

How does our projected 85 plays for loss match up with other teams around the league?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tackles for loss

We ended the 2009 season with 30 sacks and 58 tackles for loss. That's 88 combined tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

That ties our best tackles behind the LOS, as you can see from above. We had more tackles for loss on run plays this year than ever before.

DeMeco led the team with 11 TFL (not including sacks).
Cushing was second with 9.
Diles was tied with Mario at third with 7.

It really shows how well on LBers were penetrating this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read