Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2009   #1
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What do we need?

Sorry if this has been addressed before on the board.

However things finish this year, I look at these as our needs for next year, in no particular order:

-Running back
-Offensive guard(s)
-Defensive tackle(s)
-Free safety
-Cornerback (possibly)

First, since I am not an expert in personnel, does this sound right?

Next, is it possible to successfully address all these needs through the draft and free agency?

Finally, which position should we draft in the first round, or do you go the best available choice at any of those above?

Thanks for any comments.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What do we need?

we needz to win ........

no really we needz to lose to get some good draft picks

but we are going to win and some how make the playoffs and go to the SB and win the SUper bowl .....
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post

However things finish this year, I look at these as our needs for next year, in no particular order:

-Running back
-Offensive guard(s)
-Defensive tackle(s)
-Free safety
-Cornerback (possibly)

Next, is it possible to successfully address all these needs through the draft and free agency?

Finally, which position should we draft in the first round, or do you go the best available choice at any of those above?

Thanks for any comments.
Good list, and about the right order. It's time to get a stud RB. However, I do think you take BPA instead of zeroing in on a position.
Old 12-15-2009   #4
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

If you think the Texans are going to the SB you are not smarter then a 5th grader! lol
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #5
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone know what king of contract steven jackson has with rams I think he would be a good fit and im sure he doesnt want to stay with rams
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #6
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping we can address DT of FS through FA, then draft Haden or one of the Safeties in the first round of the draft (if we don't get a FA FS). Then the next 3 rounds I would love to see 2 OG's and a RB, in whatever order. Hopefully we can grab a kicker in the last couple of rounds.

While it is fun to dream, the reality is that we need to take the best player available. Hopefully there will be some good players available in these positions when it is our turn to draft.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #7
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

First, get rid of Alex Gibbs....addition by subtraction.

Then...

Safety
RB
Center
CB
DT
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2009   #8
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I'm hoping we can address DT of FS through FA, then draft Haden or one of the Safeties in the first round of the draft (if we don't get a FA FS). Then the next 3 rounds I would love to see 2 OG's and a RB, in whatever order. Hopefully we can grab a kicker in the last couple of rounds.

While it is fun to dream, the reality is that we need to take the best player available. Hopefully there will be some good players available in these positions when it is our turn to draft.
I guess I should know this, but who is Haden? I googled the name and got several with that name. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess I should know this, but who is Haden? I googled the name and got several with that name. Thanks.
Joe Haden is a CB who plays for Florida. It is quite possible that he is gone before we pick though.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #10
tedr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Joe Haden is a CB who plays for Florida. It is quite possible that he is gone before we pick though.
Thanks for the information.
Old 12-15-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you pretty much got it as far as need goes. If Kubiak is still here, you have to assume we aren't going to go based on need but best available as history has shown that.

What I did to look at how we should draft was look back at our losses since many of them were winnable and ask myself what caused us to lose each of those games. Then I looked at our wins and looked for our areas of struggle in those wins because in our wins we've put together two completely different halves of football.

In our losses we had two games where we couldn't get a TD from the goaline. So I'm putting Guard, Center and RB at the top of my list.

Two more games were lost due to missed FGs. So a kicker could possibly be had in FA but I'm noticing some pretty darn good ones are going to be available in the draft. Like the kid from Nebraska (K.Brown's alma matter).

The Jacksonville game and the Jets game had a common factor. We couldn't stop the run and our DBs were pretty bad (jets didn't have our regular starters). So DT and DBs is what I'd like to see.

The wins kinda show our weak secondary because teams were able to come from the dead when we were ahead. Alot of that had to do with Eugene Wilson not playing until week 4 or so but you can still see the teams that were able to throw on us and come back to make the game interesting. Also another legitimate threat at the receiver position. Walter was out til week 3 but he hasn't done much since either. Anderson is a career back up, Andre Davis hasn't seen much action. This leaves only Jacoby Jones who still needs to screw his head on right. There are some good recievers coming out in this draft that can be had in rounds 3 and lower. Also TE, is necessary because once OD went down we have been 1-4 without him and I know we could've beat Indy with him. Joel Dreesen is not going to cut it anymore if we want to go furhter and Casey is too new. TE can be had in FA or draft.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

-Running back
-Offensive guard(s)
-Defensive tackle(s)
-Free safety
-Cornerback (possibly)

Thanks for any comments.
On your main MB page look down to College football forum and click on mock drafts. Some of us post there regularly and you might be interested. A lot depends on your offensive line injuries Pitts and Brisiel who were the LG and RG starters. To make it challenging, Pitts is in the final year of his contract & will be 31 YOA prior to next season. I had written him off, but if healthy and willing he could sign a reasonable contract loaded with incentatives. He and a combo of Brisiel and Caldwell could strengthen the line avoiding the use of a draft pick. If both are healthy and Caldwell could earn Kubiac's trust at center we'd have a much improved offense especially in the Red Zone. Schaub could stay on feet longer also. Under this scenario, How about Earl Thomas FS from UT, Gerhart RB and #2 in Heisman as RB and a CB in 3rd?
Old 12-15-2009   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

yah we lost 2 games becasue of our kicker

I think getting a new kicker is a must

we lost some games becasue of our RB getting some new RB will be nice

Guards and a new center has well
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #14
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
we needz to win ........

no really we needz to lose to get some good draft picks

but we are going to win and some how make the playoffs and go to the SB and win the SUper bowl .....
Every time I see this I am awarding a
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
-Running back - yes, any rd. maybe even a 1st/2nd & FA
-Offensive guard(s) yes, any rd. except 1st. possibly FA
-Defensive tackle(s) yes, FA prioity, mid to late drat pick
-Free safety yes, draft one 1st or 2nd rd.
-Cornerback (possibly)yes, any rd.
I think you got it. the free agent market will tell us alot going into the draft, also the underclassman must declare intentions to come out or not by January 15th, 2010, also add OLB if the right upgrade is available Texans could have a lock down, elite unit.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
yah we lost 2 games becasue of our kicker

I think getting a new kicker is a must

we lost some games becasue of our RB getting some new RB will be nice

Guards and a new center has well
What center do you draft that is right for ZBS (if Kubiac remains) that will earn coach's trust over Myers? You don't just draft one and hope he learns to make correct calls for Oline. That is why CHris Myers remains the starter. On my board I have THomas Austin but even he will have to beat out the starter.
Old 12-15-2009   #17
tedr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
On your main MB page look down to College football forum and click on mock drafts. Some of us post there regularly and you might be interested. A lot depends on your offensive line injuries Pitts and Brisiel who were the LG and RG starters. To make it challenging, Pitts is in the final year of his contract & will be 31 YOA prior to next season. I had written him off, but if healthy and willing he could sign a reasonable contract loaded with incentatives. He and a combo of Brisiel and Caldwell could strengthen the line avoiding the use of a draft pick. If both are healthy and Caldwell could earn Kubiac's trust at center we'd have a much improved offense especially in the Red Zone. Schaub could stay on feet longer also. Under this scenario, How about Earl Thomas FS from UT, Gerhart RB and #2 in Heisman as RB and a CB in 3rd?
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a look.
Old 12-15-2009   #18
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
-Running back
-Offensive guard(s)
-Defensive tackle(s)
-Free safety
-Cornerback (possibly)
That's the list. I also wouldn't object to taking/signing a (potential) stud DE or WR if one were available to us.

Quote:
Yes. You'll likely address your interior OL on the second day of the draft or in the second round at the earliest.

Depending on what you do in FA, you'll probably take BPA at S, RB, CB, and DT in the first round. Also, as much as I hate to say it, with the way the defense has come on, with Barber showing improvement this year, and Wilson coming back next season, I wouldn't be shocked if S was left out of the plans again.

And, it's important to note that CB is one position that works out best in the first round. Ravens' GM, Ozzie Newsome, is famous for his philosophy of taking first round CB. He has studied the numbers and concluded that first round CB are the most proportionally successful at their position compared to most other positions. So, if we decide we need a CB (which isn't a strecth given that Dunta and likely Bennett won't be back next year), it might be best to look that way in the first.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 12-15-2009 at 01:33 PM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That's the list. I also wouldn't object to taking/signing a (potential) stud DE or WR if one were available to us.

Yes. You'll likely address your interior OL on the second day of the draft or in the second round at the earliest.

Depending on what you do in FA, you'll probably take BPA at S, RB, CB, and DT in the first round. Also, as much as I hate to say it, with the way the defense has come on, with Barber showing improvement this year, and Wilson coming back next season, I wouldn't be shocked if S was left out of the plans again.

And, it's important to note that CB is one position that works out best in the first round. Ravens' GM, Ozzie Newsome, is famous for his philosophy of taking first round CB. He has studied the numbers and concluded that first round CB are the most proportionally successful at their position compared to most other positions. So, if we decide we need a CB (which isn't a strecth given that Dunta and likely Bennett won't be back next year), it might be best to look that way in the first.
Saftey is 3rd or 4th on our needs chart. Wilson is servicable.
Old 12-15-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Saftey is 3rd or 4th on our needs chart. Wilson is servicable.
If Haden is gone and Earl Thomas is there, what other player available would you take in first round?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read