Thanks for your support!

McShay's First Mock

With the 14th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft... The HOUSTON TEXANS select

Earl Thomas S Texas

Here is his complete first round mock v1.0

St. Louis Rams
Record: 1-12
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Reach for a quarterback or take the top defensive lineman in the class? Tough call, but we think the Rams should take Suh. Anyone who saw the Big 12 championship game knows what kind of an impact the explosive Suh can have on a game. He is a disruptive run defender with the arm strength to toss blockers aside and the quickness to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Though he isn't the most polished pass rusher, he clearly has great potential in this area.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Record: 1-12
Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee
The Bucs might be hesitant to take a safety with the second overall selection but we believe he's the premier prospect in the 2010 class. Much like the Baltimore Ravens' All-Pro Ed Reed, Berry is a game-changer with exceptional versatility.
Cleveland Browns
Record: 2-11
Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech
Morgan can anchor at the point of attack, make plays in pursuit, get to the quarterback coming off the edge and drop into coverage. That type of versatility would be a nice addition to a Browns' defensive front seven that lacks difference makers.
Detroit Lions
Record: 2-11
Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma
The Lions are in dire need of a difference-maker along the defensive front, and McCoy is the prototypical 3-technique with the quick first step and power to make a living in opposing backfields.
Kansas City Chiefs
Record: 3-10
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Help up front might be Kansas City's greatest need. LOT Branden Albert -- a first-round pick in 2008 -- has had problems staying healthy, and he could slide to the right side or even inside to guard if the Chiefs land a franchise left tackle. Okung is the most complete offensive tackle prospect in this class and could provide that piece of the puzzle for Kansas City.
Oakland Raiders
Record: 4-9
Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida
Dunlap is very much a buyer-beware prospect. On one hand, a DUI arrest the week of the SEC championship game and questions about his work ethic raise red flags. On the other hand, 290-pound defensive linemen who move as well as he does are few and far between.
Washington Redskins
Record: 4-9
Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma
Surgery on his throwing shoulder and concerns about the scheme he played in at Oklahoma caused Bradford to fall behind Locker on our board. On the other hand, Bradford has the physical tools and football IQ to quickly develop into an effective starting NFL quarterback.
Denver Broncos (from 5-8 Chicago)
Record: 8-5
Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama
McClain is a tough, relentless run stopper who masks his lack of ideal range with great instincts and his ability to take good angles. He's not a two-down linebacker, either, and can more than hold his own in underneath coverage.
Seattle Seahawks
Record: 5-8
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Williams moved from the right to the left side this year, and while he didn't fare as well this season as he had in previous seasons, he is capable of quickly developing into an effective NFL starting right tackle. He is a tough run blocker who drives his feet once in position, and he can hold his own in pass protection when his footwork is sound.
Buffalo Bills
Anthony Davis*, OT, Rutgers
Davis comes with a bit of baggage, but there isn't an offensive lineman in the 2010 class with a better combination of size and agility.
San Francisco 49ers
Record: 6-7
Joe Haden*, CB, Florida
San Francisco's pass defense has been a liability this year, and the 49ers need to inject some youth and talent into their cornerback unit. Haden is the best cover corner in his class, has the burst to stalk receivers underneath and shows the speed to run with them downfield.
Pittsburgh Steelers
Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland
Campbell is a work in progress and could benefit from another year in college, but he's shooting up draft boards after a strong 2009 season and may be too talented to pass up for the Steelers, who need help at offensive tackle.
San Francisco 49ers (from 5-8 Carolina)
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
San Francisco could reach for an offensive lineman like Bryan Bulaga here, but in our opinion Kindle is too good a value to pass up here. Though he has to improve his ability to anchor against the run, he has the burst and agility base 3-4 defenses covet at outside linebacker.
Houston Texans
Earl Thomas**, S, Texas
Like Berry, there isn't much Thomas can't do on a football field. He can match up with slot receivers, blitz off the edge, has great range in coverage and steps up in run support.
Tennessee Titans
Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South Florida
Pierre-Paul wreaks havoc off the edge and would be a nice addition to the Titans, whose defensive ends are showing signs of aging.
Atlanta Falcons
Navorro Bowman*, OLB, Penn State
The Falcons need an impact player at cornerback, but the next-best corner, Florida State's Patrick Robinson, is not worth taking this early. Bowman has some off-the-field baggage but he might be the best all-around athlete at linebacker in this year's class.
Baltimore Ravens
Record: 7-6
Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State
Baltimore needs to give 2008 first-round pick and franchise QB Joe Flacco a playmaker at receiver. Bryant was ruled ineligible by the NCAA earlier this season, but teams have seen more than enough to know he can stretch the field.
Jacksonville Jaguars
Bruce Carter*, OLB, North Carolina
Jacksonville could upgrade at outside linebacker and Carter would be an excellent value here. He would benefit from adding some bulk to his frame but he's a rangy run stopper and he shows above-average ball skills in coverage.
New York Giants
Brandon Spikes*, ILB, Florida
Antonio Pierce sustained a season-ending neck injury and has just one year left on his contract, so Spikes would be a good fit as a future replacement. While injuries slowed Spikes this year, he is an instinctive run stopper who can make plays all over the field when he's healthy. He's also flashed big-play ability in coverage.
New York Jets
Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa
Bulaga plays a bit high and his footwork could be better, but the Jets need help at tackle and he's the best available.
Miami Dolphins
Record:7-6
Golden Tate*, WR, Notre Dame
Tate is a bit of a reach this high, but the Dolphins are in desperate need of a playmaker at wide receiver and he's the next best one this class has to offer behind Bryant.
Arizona Cardinals
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Gresham missed the entire 2009 season with a knee injury, and he doesn't offer much as a run blocker. However, our film evaluation makes it clear that he has what it to takes to develop into one of the most productive and dangerous receiving tight ends in the league.
Seattle Seahawks (from 8-5 Denver)
Jimmy Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame
Current starter Matt Hasselbeck is 34 years old and backup Seneca Wallace doesn't appear to be the long-term answer. There are concerns about Clausen's release and he doesn't have ideal arm strength, but his mobility and accuracy underneath would make him a good fit for a West Coast offense.
Dallas Cowboys
Taylor Mays, S, USC
We've seen Mays get caught out of position far too often to move him ahead of Berry or Thomas. However, it's rare to find defensive backs with Mays' size/speed combination, and he would be an upgrade for the Cowboys.
New England Patriots
Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
New England desperately needs to improve its pedestrian pass rush and Sapp has the burst to provide that much-needed spark. He has lined up primarily at end in college but has shown he can be effective working out of a two-point stance and would be a good fit for the Patriots' base 3-4 defense.
Green Bay Packers
Record: 9-4
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
In this scenario, Spiller slides down the board and Green Bay wins the lottery. Spiller would add a big-play element to the running game and his ability to motion out into the slot makes him an excellent fit for the Packers' pass-heavy scheme.
Cincinnati Bengals
Marvin Austin*, DT, North Carolina
Cincinnati leads the league in rushing defense but having quality depth and talent at defensive tackle is essential to stay on top of the AFC North, so adding Austin makes sense. He's a stout interior run defender and powerful bull rusher.
Philadelphia Eagles
Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachusetts
Ducasse is 330 pounds and his feet may not be quick enough to hold up at left tackle, where he played at UMass, but he still moves well for his size and we think he could develop into a starting right tackle. If he doesn't pan out at tackle he has the makings of an excellent guard.
San Diego Chargers
Record: 10-3
Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech
Darren Sproles is an excellent change-of-pace back but he's too small to be the primary ball carrier, and 30-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson hasn't looked the same the past two years. Taking Dwyer here would give the Chargers a physical between-the-tackles runner capable of carrying the ball 20-plus times and setting up the play-action package.
Minnesota Vikings
Record: 11-2
Brian Price*, DT, UCLA
Price is said to be leaning toward entering the upcoming draft. He's a quick and powerful defender who could provide some much-needed depth behind aging starters Kevin Williams and Pat Williams.
Indianapolis Colts
Record: 13-0
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
Odrick doesn't have great athletic ability but he's quick, flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly and plays with a nonstop motor, making him a good fit for an Indianapolis organization looking to upgrade its run defense.
New Orleans Saints
Record: 13-0
Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams is a reach here, but like Indianapolis, the Saints should be looking to upgrade their run defense, and adding the 311-pound Williams would be a step in the right direction.

I really could not get mad at the FO if they brought in Earl Thomas.

EDIT: Oh and we all know what happened the last time a Houston team drafted a guy named Earl from UT.

Damn, that is alot different than I have been seeing. It is pretty different than mine too. Ducasse is not a first round player, I love the small school guys, but 3rd rounder in my opinion. I dont see Morgan going that high, nor do I see that many DT's in the 1st. Then again, McShay probably knows more than I do.

I am ok with Thomas (if he comes out) but we better get a CB later. Quin may replace DR but we still need another CB. Most mock change quite a bit week to week. Be interestig to see how this one evolves.

I am ok with Thomas (if he comes out) but we better get a CB later. Quin may replace DR but we still need another CB. Most mock change quite a bit week to week. Be interestig to see how this one evolves.

The nice thing about Thomas is that he can also play nickelback. If Wilson is healthy, then we could see Pollard, Wilson, Quinn, Reeves and Thomas on the field in the nickle package.

Damn, that is alot different than I have been seeing. It is pretty different than mine too. Ducasse is not a first round player, I love the small school guys, but 3rd rounder in my opinion. I dont see Morgan going that high, nor do I see that many DT's in the 1st. Then again, McShay probably knows more than I do.

McShay doesn't know ****. The only reason ESPN prints his stuff is because they bought Scout and he does most of their stuff. Take anything he puts out with a grain of salt (that goes for most mock drafts anyway).

A guy we can probably get in the 2nd round is Patrick Robinson from Fla St.

He excels in man coverage. Can't say I know how he will do in zone as he didn't get to play much of it in college. He does have a nice break and tackles well, so you would think he could do well in zone. His INT numbers are low because he was constantly put out on an island in man coverage with no safety help. Hard to make plays when your constantly playing catch up. He did have a pick that he returned for a TD this year but a bad call by the referee negated it. He was actually in zone on that play.

Here are highlights from the Maryland game. Remember, it is Maryland.

You can watch this video as well. Start at about 5:30 into the video. It'll show good and bad plays.

Last edited:
Just imagine what kind of damage Earl Thomas could do on this defense.

Our D-Line couldn't help but get sacks.

A guy we can probably get in the 2nd round is Patrick Robinson from Fla St.

He excels in man coverage. Can't say I know how he will do in zone as he didn't get to play much of it in college. He does have a nice break and tackles well, so you would think he could do well in zone. His INT numbers are low because he was constantly put out on an island in man coverage with no safety help. Hard to make plays when your constantly playing catch up. He did have a pick that he returned for a TD this year but a bad call by the referee negated it. He was actually in zone on that play.

Here are highlights from the Maryland game. Remember, it is Maryland.

You can watch this video as well. Start at about 5:30 into the video. It'll show good and bad plays.
I just don't have the "feel" for Robinson. Don't know why and he is almost exactly same physically as Haden. When I watched FSU, I was turned off by entire team and switched channels.

I just don't have the "feel" for Robinson. Don't know why and he is almost exactly same physically as Haden. When I watched FSU, I was turned off by entire team and switched channels.

Haha, I don't really blame you.

No homerism, but I think that Patrick Robinson will be a good NFL corner. He is very consistent.

Haha, I don't really blame you.

No homerism, but I think that Patrick Robinson will be a good NFL corner. He is very consistent.
NFLdraftscout.com has him rated as best CB not including plyers who might come out. I would be interested in two or three folks evaluation on his cover skills.

Taylor Mays is the 3rd S in the draft? This must be a hell of a draft year for the S position.

Taylor Mays is the 3rd S in the draft? This must be a hell of a draft year for the S position.

He's very overrated. He has great speed and hits hard but is always out of position.

Whatever team that takes him should maybe try him at linebacker. Let him run and hit and not worry about coverage. He's the next Roy Williams.

He's very overrated. He has great speed and hits hard but is always out of position.

Whatever team that takes him should maybe try him at linebacker. Let him run and hit and not worry about coverage. He's the next Roy Williams.
I hear that repeated by the sheeple on the net but never heard that last year.

I would love Earl Thomas. The guy plays instinctively and he would be a tremendous addition to our team. But I think he's headed back to UT for one more year if I'm not mistaken.

I dont see Morgan going that high, nor do I see that many DT's in the 1st.

I don't know if he will, but watching him over the past few season, he most absolutely deserves to. When everyone was hyping Michael Johnson last year, I was telling them that Johnson wasn't the best DE on his team, and to watch out for Morgan.

Watching him this year, he's reminded in a lot of ways of Dwight Freeney; they have similiar builds and play in eerily similiar ways.

I can't wait to see what he does in the NFL. My only wish is that he gets drafted by an NFC team if the Texans don't have the opportunity to take him.

I'd be happy with Thomas and if things go differently and hes not there (or doesn't declare) I see quite a few players picked in this mock after us that I would be happy with. Spiller is the most intriguing, Mays would be very hard to pass on, I like Dwyer and when its all said and done I expect Brian Price to be a guy that goes in the middle of round 1.

Going to have to wait and see what we do in FA to really narrow it down though. If we lose Dunta we probably sign a decent corner to replace him and his productivity give or take a bit at about half the price. Not sure how much money or what kind of draft investment the FO will be willing to throw at the DL considering Antonio Smith was our big FA last year and we are actually showing signs of stopping the run this year. Barwin's progress will be a big factor in how our pass rush (which has looked good the last two weeks with a nice dose of blitzing) develops next season.

Would be fun to see Spiller in the backfield with a healthy Slaton splitting carries. I know neither one is a real banger but they are explosive and can make big contributions in the passing game. I get the feeling that this regime puts more stock in that than getting said banger at RB. Heck, Foster might be that guy anyway. Spiller could return kicks as well so we can ditch Andre Davis.

I would love Earl Thomas. The guy plays instinctively and he would be a tremendous addition to our team. But I think he's headed back to UT for one more year if I'm not mistaken.

That was my first impression as well. I thought he was headed back to UT, but I wouldn't complain if we actually chose to address problems in the secondary for once.

I feel for Cleveland this year because they'll be picking high and desperately need help on the offensive side of of the ball, however I don't think aside from takinga QB there is a skill postion player worthy of going that early.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down again this year and try and get into a reasonable range to pick up a guy like Dez Bryant.

I think Taylor Mays helped his cause by returning this year, however I'm not sure I'm still sold on him. Could be special or could be the next Darnell Bing. I hope the Texans stay away from him because we can't afford to spend another 1st draft pick on a boom or bust player.

[/QUOTE=Nawzer;1325252]I would love Earl Thomas. The guy plays instinctively and he would be a tremendous addition to our team. But I think he's headed back to UT for one more year if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]

The last I read, after the Nebraska game, he told the Fort Worth Telegram ( I think) that he went to college to make money and if he a a first round pick that would be more money than anyone in his family had ever seen and there was no way he would pass that up.

• Texas S Earl Thomas (No. 13) said last week that he was returning to Texas for his junior season. This week, he seems to be thinking about the NFL draft. "You come to college to make money and first-round money," Thomas told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I haven't seen that. Nobody in my family has ever seen it. I'm definitely not going to turn it down."

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4730695&name=nfl_draft

I like Earl Thomas and have wanted a top flight Safety for years. However, I just do not know how you pass up on a talent like Dez Bryant.

I'd be very happy to have Earl Thomas. He's been coached by one of the best defensive minds in the country and has been a total stud at Texas. I'd like to have a guy that's played at least 3 years though, but he'd probably be worth it.

I just want the Texans to get a safety period. regardless of what it takes. Go get a freaking safety already. I'm so sick of not having one. Great safeties make such a big difference on certain teams. Reed, TP, Dawkins, Sanders, Sharper, and a few others are such difference makers.

I love Earl Thomas but I don't know if I can go FS that early. I would probably go Jimmy Clausen to be honest based on what is available to the Texans and where the value is.

I know it sounds crazy at first glance, but he is a talented and cerebral QB that has excellent accuracy and has proven he can burn the blitz. In today's league those are what you need. He would be a steal that late in the draft and would be a good fit if Kubiak keeps his job. He could sit behind Schaub and be our insurance policy in case Schaub gets hurt. It would also give us flexibility and a better bargaining position when its time to re-sign Schaub.

That being said, Clausen isn't going to be there that late in the draft. He is going to start moving up draft boards and could easily be Top5 once the smoke clears. St.Louis, Cleveland, Washington, Carolina, Seattle, San Francisco, and even Jacksonville (Tebow) need new blood at QB. Clausen has a good pedigree and ran a pro style offense in college. he will be very coveted by many front offices and many fanbases.

I also think Jermaine Gresham makes sense if they decide to not reup or RFA Owen Daniels coming off his injury and Spiller is enticing but maybe too early for a Smithiak selection of a Running Back. I like Mays a lot but we already have Pollard as our flexible SS as long as we can retain his services.

The need at FS is pretty obvious though so McShay's selection makes sense, I just think we could add a guy like Robert Johnson out of Utah in the 3rd Round or perhaps even later. Anyways, we all know Earl Thomas isn't going to be taken by Kubiak. Earl Thomas is an UT product and it ain't happening. :wink:

Would love for the Texans to go meat and potatoes but we no one really peeks my interest at that point in the draft.

As long as we address FS and Center in the first 4 rounds, I will be happy. Not that concerned about when they address those positions as long as its relatively early. Also would like for us to bring in some guys that are used to winning and hate losing (see Cushing) Thomas definitely fits that bill.

Last edited:
I'd be good with Earl Thomas in the 1st, but we better go RB in round 2 or 3. The best RB in franchise history is still Domanick Davis. I liked Davis a lot, but I want that to change.

I'd be good with Earl Thomas in the 1st, but we better go RB in round 2 or 3. The best RB in franchise history is still Domanick Davis. I liked Davis a lot, but I want that to change.

If Jonathan Dwyer is available when we pick in the 2nd, and we haven't taken a RB yet, I would be jumping up in down in front of my TV screen.

I don't know if he will, but watching him over the past few season, he most absolutely deserves to. When everyone was hyping Michael Johnson last year, I was telling them that Johnson wasn't the best DE on his team, and to watch out for Morgan.

Watching him this year, he's reminded in a lot of ways of Dwight Freeney; they have similiar builds and play in eerily similiar ways.

I can't wait to see what he does in the NFL. My only wish is that he gets drafted by an NFC team if the Texans don't have the opportunity to take him.

100% agree. If you havent seen this guy play you missed out. I have him rated 3rd on my Texans big board Behind Suh and Berry. Players on my board are rated by 3 things. Obvioulsy how good they are, how much I think they would help us and how much we need their position. Its still a work in progress and I dont have Earl Thomas listed yet because he hasnt declared. Anyway here it is. Feel free to critique it all you want I wont get my feelings hurt.

Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
Eric Berry FS Tennessee
Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
Joe Haden CB Florida
Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
Rolando McClain LB Alabama
Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State
Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri
Brandon Spikes LB Florida
Ricky Sapp LB Clemson
Navorro Bowman LB Penn State
Jared Odrick DT Penn State
Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
Arthur Jones DT Syracuse
Mike Iupati OG Idaho
Sergio Kindle LB Texas
Taylor Mays FS Southern California
Jerry Hughes DE Texas Christian
Brandon Graham DE Michigan
Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State
Corey Wootton DE Northwestern

100% agree. If you havent seen this guy play you missed out. I have him rated 3rd on my Texans big board Behind Suh and Berry. Players on my board are rated by 3 things. Obvioulsy how good they are, how much I think they would help us and how much we need their position. Its still a work in progress and I dont have Earl Thomas listed yet because he hasnt declared. Anyway here it is. Feel free to critique it all you want I wont get my feelings hurt.

Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
Eric Berry FS Tennessee
Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
Joe Haden CB Florida
Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
Rolando McClain LB Alabama
Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State
Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri
Brandon Spikes LB Florida
Ricky Sapp LB Clemson
Navorro Bowman LB Penn State
Jared Odrick DT Penn State
Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
Arthur Jones DT Syracuse
Mike Iupati OG Idaho
Sergio Kindle LB Texas
Taylor Mays FS Southern California
Jerry Hughes DE Texas Christian
Brandon Graham DE Michigan
Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State
Corey Wootton DE Northwestern

VERY GOOD. highlighted the magnificent 13 (unlikey still on the board when the Texans pick). might just be tempted to take Mays afterall, like Bowman too & he would be a nice complement @ WILL next to DeMeco & Cushing.

Id rather have Mays

Mays is an Oakland Raiders type. Un-paralleled measurables that don't always translate to the field. I would take him if we traded back, but not at 14. Thomas is a better FS hands down. And I don't like UT at all, so go figure. Mays had the best college LB group ever, since all of those guys are good in the NFL. Two are DROY canidates, for Christ sakes.

VERY GOOD. highlighted the magnificent 13 (unlikey still on the board when the Texans pick). might just be tempted to take Mays afterall, like Bowman too & he would be a nice complement @ WILL next to DeMeco & Cushing.
How do you and Mussop respond to criticism that Dwyer is a "system" player? He certainly runs towards the goal and has had three years of very high avg per attempt. I replaced him on my board with Gerhart as I think Dwyer will go in 2nd before we pick.

I love Earl Thomas but I don't know if I can go FS that early. I would probably go Jimmy Clausen to be honest based on what is available to the Texans and where the value is.

I know it sounds crazy at first glance, but he is a talented and cerebral QB that has excellent accuracy and has proven he can burn the blitz. In today's league those are what you need. He would be a steal that late in the draft and would be a good fit if Kubiak keeps his job. He could sit behind Schaub and be our insurance policy in case Schaub gets hurt. It would also give us flexibility and a better bargaining position when its time to re-sign Schaub.

That being said, Clausen isn't going to be there that late in the draft. He is going to start moving up draft boards and could easily be Top5 once the smoke clears. St.Louis, Cleveland, Washington, Carolina, Seattle, San Francisco, and even Jacksonville (Tebow) need new blood at QB. Clausen has a good pedigree and ran a pro style offense in college. he will be very coveted by many front offices and many fanbases.

I also think Jermaine Gresham makes sense if they decide to not reup or RFA Owen Daniels coming off his injury and Spiller is enticing but maybe too early for a Smithiak selection of a Running Back. I like Mays a lot but we already have Pollard as our flexible SS as long as we can retain his services.

The need at FS is pretty obvious though so McShay's selection makes sense, I just think we could add a guy like Robert Johnson out of Utah in the 3rd Round or perhaps even later. Anyways, we all know Earl Thomas isn't going to be taken by Kubiak. Earl Thomas is an UT product and it ain't happening. :wink:

Would love for the Texans to go meat and potatoes but we no one really peeks my interest at that point in the draft.

As long as we address FS and Center in the first 4 rounds, I will be happy. Not that concerned about when they address those positions as long as its relatively early. Also would like for us to bring in some guys that are used to winning and hate losing (see Cushing) Thomas definitely fits that bill.
If Gary is back next season he better draft players that will help him get another contract for 2011. QB, WR and LB should not be on his board no matter what. He better get guys who impact a game. There probably will be no negotiation with Schaub. If team picks up the option, Matt gets the millions. Why should he re-negotiate his deal? I think Orslovky is well thought of and is receiving a pretty healthy pay check.

I do not know why Pollard has not already been offered a contract. If he walks, another positon to fill is created.

If Jonathan Dwyer is available when we pick in the 2nd, and we haven't taken a RB yet, I would be jumping up in down in front of my TV screen.
What is your suggestion to strengthen the oline to block for Dwyer? Do you think Pitts will get a new contract offer as he is a free agent next year?

How do you and Mussop respond to criticism that Dwyer is a "system" player? He certainly runs towards the goal and has had three years of very high avg per attempt. I replaced him on my board with Gerhart as I think Dwyer will go in 2nd before we pick.

Are you familiar with system that Dwyer runs in? If anything, it's a hindrance more than an asset. He's not BJ Symmons throwing for Texas Tech here. He plays fullback in the 3O and runs 99% of his plays straight up the gut.

It's amazing that he gets the numbers he does considering the opporuntities he gets to actually "break one" relative to other prospects.

Are you familiar with system that Dwyer runs in? If anything, it's a hindrance more than an asset. He's not BJ Symmons throwing for Texas Tech here. He plays fullback in the 3O and runs 99% of his plays straight up the gut.

It's amazing that he gets the numbers he does considering the opporuntities he gets to actually "break one" relative to other prospects.
Your words were my thoughts. When I had him on my board earlier this year, some guys had posted that the system he played in encouraged the huge stats. I see him as a true power back that will get yards between the tackles as well as on an option around the end. No one then supported my view and it is good to hear from you. While #15-17 is high for him, I don't see a trade down scenario and I have pushed for a back like him. I could see him in first round if Haden and Thomas are not there. I do think Gerhart will be available later and he is pretty good also.

Your words were my thoughts. When I had him on my board earlier this year, some guys had posted that the system he played in encouraged the huge stats. I see him as a true power back that will get yards between the tackles as well as on an option around the end. No one then supported my view and it is good to hear from you. While #15-17 is high for him, I don't see a trade down scenario and I have pushed for a back like him. I could see him in first round if Haden and Thomas are not there. I do think Gerhart will be available later and he is pretty good also.

The only negative effect of the system that he runs in, IMO, would be the beating he takes from disproportional between-the-tackle runs; he does have a history of nagging injuries, but has been able to play through them for the most part.

He's the best RB in the draft, IMO. Though, I might have a slight bias.

I am one of those who think the system does help Dwyer. He is good, no doubts there, but not the player everyone is making him out to be. The system helps every runner, because the D does not know who is going to get the ball. Dwyer up the middle, Nesbitt off guard, or the RB (Allen?). And you can see the confusion in the D. Just look at the yards per carry of these 3 guys. Nesbitt, the QB, is the worst at 3.8 ypc. Dwyer has the most carries and averages an incredible 6.1 yards per carry. Allen averages almost 10 yards per carry (9.8). 10 yards per carry, over 61 carries, and you are going to say that is not a runners system? Look at other runners they have. Jones- 53 rushes for 345 yards (6.5). Wright- 23 rushes for 190 yards (5.9). Peeples- 28 for 143 (5.1). The team averages 5.5 yards per carry. The GT system makes every runner better.

That said, Dwyer is a good player. I would place him in the 17-22 range. He has speed, power, and agility. However, I worry about his football sense. I would not be upset at picking him, but he is not one of my targeted players.

Thats exactly where I drew my line. Any of those players highlighted fall I jump on them. If all are gone Im looking to trade down.

I think he is Gerhart with speed. I dont care what system he is in. He is big, strong, fast and he breaks tackles.

The only negative effect of the system that he runs in, IMO, would be the beating he takes from disproportional between-the-tackle runs; he does have a history of nagging injuries, but has been able to play through them for the most part.

He's the best RB in the draft, IMO. Though, I might have a slight bias.
Agreed. When I first began to research Dwyer, I found an article that mentioned he was so good at faking he had the ball in the oprion that he was getting hit more than a regular running back. He is very strong. He and Gerhart should do very well with Slaton taking some carries. Dixon is a maybe for me as I don't know much about him.

I would say there is a good chance that two QBs (Bradford and Clausen) are taken before we pick as well so that helps. I would be thrilled with Mays and Bowman would give us an even more ridiculous LBing core. I haven't placed that high a value on that third LBer spot because he usually comes out in the nickel but Bowman is the type of athlete that could potentially thrive in coverage. How many 4-3 teams actually keep all three of their LBers on the field for third down though?

Bowman is probably my favorite LB in the draft. I dont know if the Texans have a place for him though, that is why I dont really see it happening.

Agreed. When I first began to research Dwyer, I found an article that mentioned he was so good at faking he had the ball in the oprion that he was getting hit more than a regular running back. He is very strong. He and Gerhart should do very well with Slaton taking some carries. Dixon is a maybe for me as I don't know much about him.

Dwyer gets hit on almost every play, with or without the ball. Its the nature of the system. You have to tackle the dive play or your not defending the triple option correctly.

Negatives of Dwyer are the amount of hits he takes and not being familiar with shotgun and I formation sets.

Positives are that he is tough, and runs very tough. He has a knack for running up the middle.

I would love to have him on the Texans.

For all you guys that want a big back check out Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State. I dont know know why he doesnt get more talk here.

Dwyer gets hit on almost every play, with or without the ball. Its the nature of the system. You have to tackle the dive play or your not defending the triple option correctly.

Negatives of Dwyer are the amount of hits he takes and not being familiar with shotgun and I formation sets.

Positives are that he is tough, and runs very tough. He has a knack for running up the middle.

I would love to have him on the Texans.
What about his blocking skills which are a big need in this scheme?

Well they don't throw it alot, but when they do Dwyer is usually blocking [retty well. He ran more routes last year than he did this year.
Yeah, I saw him catch a pass but that is not what I am looking for in a power back. If one can run, block and receive that's gravy with the chicken, but I am more interested in the chicken.

Back