Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 12-15-2009   #21
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: As predicted (despite KEYE's denials) KEYE showing Titans over Texans this weeken

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I reckon the titan vs Phins game would be a bit more intriguing than a Texans Rams game to most networks outside of Houston.

*I understand y'all have been getting boned for quite some time now, I'm just making an observation.
You have to kind of understand the entire history of this "conflict" for it to make sense. It's not as simple as which game is most intriguing.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #22
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: As predicted (despite KEYE's denials) KEYE showing Titans over Texans this weeken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
This is a CLEAR indication that he's either grossly misinformed or just lying, because - here's the key - the TEN/MIA game is NOT the "AFC Game of the Week" this week. (While Dusty has been far less friendly than Gary Vinson was - I don't think he's lying. I just think he was oblivious.)
He knows what's going on, it's called "passing the buck".

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #23
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
It's Ricky Williams vs Vince Young or an underachieving Texans team vs the worst team in the NFL.

Is this really a surprise?
Not a surprise at all. I said this would happen after the MNF loss to Tennessee. The thing that I'm waiting to hear is the explanation of two things:

1 - KEYE committed to showing all Texans games available on CBS this year (irrelevant that the previous program guy is gone now - it was a promise made without "as long as I work here" attached to it).

2 - The new programming guy has repeatedly said that the decisions on which games to show are made by the "home office" and have nothing at all to do with what the local affiliates want and can't be influenced by viewers.

I told the guy personally that I know that #2 is a complete load of crap, but he came back at me with all this junk about how things changed when the station was sold - which was also BS, because they changed SEVERAL games after the station was sold.

So, I'm just waiting for an explanation. I don't expect them to change the game or anything like that - I guess I just want to hear them say I'm right and they're wrong, and that I know how their business works better than they do. It is my field of study, so it's not out of a place of ignorance.

Anyway. I'm leaving Austin soon anyway, so it won't matter next season.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-15-2009   #24
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
It is? How so?
I have been there a few times with some friends and we pay more for their beer and food there then any other sports bar that I have ever been to. When I go there I just get one beer while my friends eat it up and booze.
Old 12-15-2009   #25
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Dusty is my old boss. He's actually a pretty great person. For the record. He used to be the head of the production department which is basically the technical side of the TV station. He's a very smart, cynical but fair guy. I could definitely see him coming off as a dick.

We used to butt heads constantly. I used to fight every rule at the station. And he would fight me to the death on the semantics of the literal translations and interpretations of the rules that the station had implemented. He's an old hippie with good values and a subtly fun nature.

I remember being sent home one time because I had holes in my jeans. I returned with these obnoxious patches all over them 2 hours later and I remember him smiling at me like "you son of a *****, you found a loophole."

Not that that has much if any value to you guys but if nothing else it gives some insight into the guy that you're going to be hating for a while.

oh... and he's a HUGE longhorn fan if I remember correctly.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #26
DiehardChris
You betcha!

I'm a huge Longhorn fan too.

KEYE needs to do what is best for KEYE, and I have no problem with that. I understand the business of TV and how all that stuff works. I want them to show the Texans, but I HONESTLY have no problem with them showing whatever game they want - as long as they're upfront and truthful about it and that's just not what's happening now or in the past.

I just don't like being told one thing when the truth is obviously another thing. I'm sure he's a great guy - the previous guy Gary was a great guy too - but he was also straightforward with his explanations and if he gave the wrong info, he always apologized for it and explained what happened.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-15-2009   #27
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I have been there a few times with some friends and we pay more for their beer and food there then any other sports bar that I have ever been to. When I go there I just get one beer while my friends eat it up and booze.
Yeah, I agree. I love Pluckers, but it's way too expensive.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2009   #28
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Yeah, I agree. I love Pluckers, but it's way too expensive.
I guess maybe on Sundays because the beer is full price, but the have a lot of shot specials on Sundays too. The other days of the week they have some pretty good deals. I always get a free 5 PC wings with those cards they give out so I save bucks that way and you can catch good deals at other times. I don't go to may bars so I am not sure how the pricing compares, but the other places I have been in RR it's about the same.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 12-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #29
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I guess maybe on Sundays because the beer if full price, but the have a lot of shot specials on Sundays too. The other days of the week they have some pretty good deals. I always get a free 5 PC wings with those cards they give out so I save bucks that way and you can catch good deals at other times. I don't go to may bars so I am not sure how the pricing compares, but the other places I have been in RR it's about the same.
That's right. They're all pretty much the same... overpriced.
Old 12-15-2009   #30
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just sent my email and I'm pretty sure he'll answer back......lol. However I must admit the Texans are making me feel like Richard Pryor in the first :35 of this clip from Bustin' Loose. (pc warning: language)
Old 12-15-2009   #31
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I'm a huge Longhorn fan too.

KEYE needs to do what is best for KEYE, and I have no problem with that. I understand the business of TV and how all that stuff works. I want them to show the Texans, but I HONESTLY have no problem with them showing whatever game they want - as long as they're upfront and truthful about it and that's just not what's happening now or in the past.

I just don't like being told one thing when the truth is obviously another thing. I'm sure he's a great guy - the previous guy Gary was a great guy too - but he was also straightforward with his explanations and if he gave the wrong info, he always apologized for it and explained what happened.
I can dig. I'm not making excuses. Just offering insight. I'm going to email him just for fun. Tell him I might come back to work there if he puts the Texans on. LOL That will guarantee the tacks for the rest of the season.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #32
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I worked in the TV syndication business. It is a sinking business!

You guys should give them a pass because they are having a hard enough time trying to earn profit. Furthermore, there other ways to watch the game. Or, just listen to it on the radio.

TV stations are getting creamed on a lot of their programming. When they do have good programming, they have to maximize revenue that generates the highest ratings.

Give the programming director a break. Trust me, he has enough other people climbing up in his jock and kicking his nuts around than to worry about Texan fans.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #33
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

[off-topic] How does Cincy/SD get such shitty coverage?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #34
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I worked in the TV syndication business. It is a sinking business!

You guys should give them a pass because they are having a hard enough time trying to earn profit. Furthermore, there other ways to watch the game. Or, just listen to it on the radio.

TV stations are getting creamed on a lot of their programming. When they do have good programming, they have to maximize revenue that generates the highest ratings.

Give the programming director a break. Trust me, he has enough other people climbing up in his jock and kicking his nuts around than to worry about Texan fans.
Nah.

We all have our little battles to fight and I'm sorry, KEYE is one of mine. My support for the Texans outweighs my concern for his good mood at work.
Old 12-15-2009   #35
VY 4 LIFE
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 VY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVP

I'm pretty sure that both sides would leave him alone if he'd just admit that he's showing the team that draws the higher ratings.

Some ratings #s would help as well.
VY 4 LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #36
stevn8r
Zombie

Section: 117 Row F 18-19
Rep Power: 197 stevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to stevn8r

Just got off the phone with Amy Villarreal, station president for KEYE...Says "nothing she can do this close to game time"...She said they decided to go with this game due to Playoff considerations....
I told her that the Texans had just as much of a chance at playoffs as those two teams...She agreed but stuck to her decision saying it was more for the viewing public and not Texans fans! I gave her the normal "you represent Texas and the Texans, and we want to watch the local team not teams thousands of miles away..."
Oh well, Guess I'll be out watching the game!
Anyone south or west wanna hook up?
Old 12-15-2009   #37
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevn8r View Post
Just got off the phone with Amy Villarreal, station president for KEYE...Says "nothing she can do this close to game time"...She said they decided to go with this game due to Playoff considerations....
I told her that the Texans had just as much of a chance at playoffs as those two teams...She agreed but stuck to her decision saying it was more for the viewing public and not Texans fans! I gave her the normal "you represent Texas and the Texans, and we want to watch the local team not teams thousands of miles away..."
This info needs to be passed on to the Texans.
Old 12-15-2009   #38
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevn8r View Post
Guess where Amy went to college.
Old 12-15-2009   #39
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Sounds like we have several "experts" in this thread who have worked in the industry (self-included).

I just don't get why it's so hard to understand that it's not taking the Texans off that pisses me off - it's the misinformation.

KEYE is under no obligation to reveal their programming strategies - but they do. When they do, and I ask for clarification - I'm given misinformation that I already know is not true, yet I'm given it anyway. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

I'm not some clueless housewife complaining that my soaps are off the air. I know the business, I've worked in the business, and I gave the guy a chance to explain the situation. He didn't have to, and I was VERY nice, composed, and fair with my emails. In turn, he was curt and kind of cold - which I'm totally fine with - because he also answered my questions... but I knew it was BS when he was telling me.

If you're going to lie to me, just don't even bother replying to the email.

If you've been wrong, and the rules have changed - just say so.

This isn't rocket science.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-15-2009   #40
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Guess where Amy went to college.
University of Miami??

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read