Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2009   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Letter To Mr. Kubiak

Gary,

I've given legitimate reasons for you to stay at every turn. If Mr. Mcnair is listening to me, you still have a job come January. I'm sure its about as likely that he reads my idea as you do, but in case one happens, I need to make sure you get a memo too.

I have figured out your problem and might be able to save your head coaching career. It is really quite simple. You have to make a choice. I get it, you're a nice guy and you want to be a "good sport" and win the right way, preserving the dignity of the other team or whatever. STOP IT. You were lucky this week. You were going against an inept offense without many play makers. If you hadn't been, or if they started kicking field goals instead of going for it on EvERY 4th down.. you might have been in a dog fight.

You are either going to have to Mike Martz it and be willing to beat someone by 50 or you are going to be out of a HC position. Its obvious that your ZB scheme on offense doesn't work in short yardage situations and when they load the box with 8 or 9 you're really in trouble. So you aren't going to go on very many 10:00 min drives when you need to.

The problem is that you come out in the second half, trying to be a good sport and when you do that your offense loses its rhythm EVERY time. That leads to those false starts and miscues. you're out of rhythm every drive it seems like. Then the other team scores a time or two and you're asking the offense to get it together all of a sudden and that's not going to happen. Week after weak we get all conservative and we lose games in the 2nd half. Stop it. Your first option on the drive should be to score and score quickly. Push them off the ledge and laugh as they fall... drown the other team... make sure they know that you're not taking your foot off of their throat until they are room temperature.

We don't want you to "finish games" we want you to finish executions.

Blow em' out or get out,

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #2
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Letter To Mr. Kubiak

Exactly!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #3
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #4
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 137 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

Having to sit through today's 2nd half just took a lot of fun out of a nice win. Same goes for the Raiders and 49ers games.
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #5
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I've said it before in other threads. Kubiak isn't used to having the most talented team on the field. Think back over the last few years; if we got a large lead, it was good fortune. Then we turn around and want to "protect" our lead instead of "expand" our lead. I know Kubes is a good guy, and I know he doesn't want to blow anyone out but if that's how you're going to coach, you need to hijack Minn's line and peterson to go with it. You better be up SEVERAL scores with the ZBS. And I don't care which way he does it. If he's content (wow that's weird to say) with putting 50 on other teams, I'm good with it.. and if he just wants to get running game that can grind it out for 10 minute drives and break the backs of the opponent I'm good with that too. BUT YOU CANNOT ASK YOUR OFFENSE TO TURN IT OFF AND THEN 30 MINS LATER SAY "HEY, UMM WE'RE IN A LIL TROUBLE... FLIP THAT SWITCH AGAIN"...

Mike

Old 12-13-2009   #6
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I would've said "don't Schottenheimer yourself in the foot"
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This seems to be a hallmark that the Texans have carried throughout their history (including with Capers, although, he possibly had a better excuse for using such).........if you can manage to get a lead, "play not to lose."

A good team may be able to play not to lose (but usually don't). Not so good teams may try to play not to lose.............but still usually do.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 12-13-2009 at 11:21 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2009   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

meh have the pollard INT we pretty much put it into milk the clock mode

and i have no problem with that all kubes was trying to get the W fast because thats what its all about the W move on to st louis next and get the W there period

and besides we ne3ed to see how our running game will churn out i dont know if yall know this but our season is over when we have huge leads i think we should send in our B team to see whatz up
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan73 View Post
Having to sit through today's 2nd half just took a lot of fun out of a nice win. Same goes for the Raiders and 49ers games.

Uhh the 49ers game was a nail bitter the were straight owning us the 2nd half
Old 12-13-2009   #10
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
meh have the pollard INT we pretty much put it into milk the clock mode

and i have no problem with that all kubes was trying to get the W fast because thats what its all about the W move on to st louis next and get the W there period

and besides we ne3ed to see how our running game will churn out i dont know if yall know this but our season is over when we have huge leads i think we should send in our B team to see whatz up
I agree, partly. I want to see us knock someone out offensively. I want to try guys out, but if this team gets up on someone... I want to see the throat stomp in full effect. I told my brother today that I wanted to hang 50 on them. Kubiak MUST understand that in at least 2 of the next three games, he takes the MORE talented team onto the field. It's not an accident when we get up on teams. We don't have to coddle the lead. IF we could run the ball then I would want us to milk the clock, but we can't run the ball. IF you can't run the ball and you're going to rely on the slants that we rely on, then you need to keep throwing them. Once you kill that rhythm it is VERY hard to get it back.

Mike

Old 12-13-2009   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

which would u rather do throw 50 on someone

our grind it out on the ground no running game ok lets see if we have a running game Grind Foster out grind Moats out find out who they really are

and get better scout on your personal alla B team meaning lest time worring who to cut next season and better pepared for the draft

i would choose option B every time
Old 12-13-2009   #12
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 137 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uhh the 49ers game was a nail bitter the were straight owning us the 2nd half
exactly, we were up 21-0, sat on it to end the 1st half, then played our typical prevent offense only to see their backup QB make a comeback.
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The offense scored a measley 3 pts in the 2nd half.

You can get away with that against the Seahawks but not against teams like the Colts.

This has been proven twice this season.

I think since the Rosencopter play Kubes has gone conservative when he has a lead in the 2nd half.

Unfortunately you cant beat good teams with this philosophy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

our grind it out on the ground no running game ok lets see if we have a running game Grind Foster out grind Moats out find out who they really are

and get better scout on your personal alla B team meaning lest time worring who to cut next season and better pepared for the draft

Not only that.. but if we want to beat Miami & New England, we'd have best figured out how to fix our run game. What better way to work on it, than when the other team knows you're going to run?

I also don't think we came out with a "conservative" game plan for the second half. Shaub & the guys just weren't in sync.
Old 12-13-2009   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:

Foster, Moats, Brown, Santa Clause and The Easter Bunny. All 5 of them have an equal shot of "grinding it out". If you can't run the ball when the other team is terrified that you will throw to 80 then you're not going to grind it out when they know its going to 22/21/37.

If this is a "learning" experience, then this team needs to LEARN to go for the jugular. This team has a serious lack of killer instinct. How about we develop that while we're thumping the Rams next weekend. You wanna see if you can "grind it out"? Look at weeks 1-14 this season. The answer is NO. Its not the RB it is the undersized linemen typical of the Zone Blocking System. When the other team KNOWS you're going to run it, and they put 8 or 9 in the box... and your linemen are undersized, you're not going to run it. I don't care if its 50 or 30, I want the offense to run OUR offense for 60 minutes. I want Schaub to see that his guys will be in the right spot in the 4th, that the rules of physics are still the same, that the field is still 120 yards long... all of that. Lets figure that our NOW.

Mike

Old 12-13-2009   #16
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not only that.. but if we want to beat Miami & New England, we'd have best figured out how to fix our run game. What better way to work on it, than when the other team knows you're going to run?

I also don't think we came out with a "conservative" game plan for the second half. Shaub & the guys just weren't in sync.
I thought we did. I bet the scouting report on us says that if we're up, we're not going to throw the ball at ALL on the first drive in the 2nd half. We don't need trick plays, we don't need big plays.. we just need OUR offense.

Mike

Old 12-14-2009   #17
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

it was 34 to 7. if our kicker could make a field goal it would of been more. it's not like he stopped calling passes either we just were not as sharp.(maybe because it was 34 to 7). guys do start taking some plays off once the game is out of reach. people used to complain because we never blew anyone out. now we don't put up 50 so there is some problem with us. rarely when a team is up by that many points do they just keep pouring it on. usually it looks a lot like it did today.
Old 12-14-2009   #18
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I thought we did. I bet the scouting report on us says that if we're up, we're not going to throw the ball at ALL on the first drive in the 2nd half. We don't need trick plays, we don't need big plays.. we just need OUR offense.

Mike
Houston Texans at 12:30
1-10-HOU 33 (12:30) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete deep middle to 83-K.Walter.

2-10-HOU 33 (12:22) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 44-V.Leach to HST 35 for 2 yards (23-M.Trufant).

3-8-HOU 35 (11:46) (Shotgun) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 85-J.Dreessen.

4-8-HOU 35 (11:41) 1-M.Turk punts 49 yards to SEA 16, Center-85-J.Dreessen. 81-N.Burleson to SEA 11 for -5 yards (34-D.Barber). (The punt hangtime was 4.8 seconds)

that was our first drive in the second half.
Old 12-14-2009   #19
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
it was 34 to 7. if our kicker could make a field goal it would of been more. it's not like he stopped calling passes either we just were not as sharp.(maybe because it was 34 to 7). guys do start taking some plays off once the game is out of reach. people used to complain because we never blew anyone out. now we don't put up 50 so there is some problem with us. rarely when a team is up by that many points do they just keep pouring it on. usually it looks a lot like it did today.
For starters, it was 24 - 7. That is a three score game.

Most teams are not as inept as we are at running the ball. CLEARLY you don't understand the point and would rather argue the small stuff. The problem is, our offense would have been as bad or WORSE if this was against I don't know the Colts. We don't go for the jugular and if you don't know that then you don't actually watch the games.

The only way you can not have a running game and maintain and put a game away with a big lead is to KEEP INCREASING THE LEAD.

Mike

Old 12-14-2009   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Houston Texans at 12:30
1-10-HOU 33 (12:30) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete deep middle to 83-K.Walter.

2-10-HOU 33 (12:22) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 44-V.Leach to HST 35 for 2 yards (23-M.Trufant).

3-8-HOU 35 (11:46) (Shotgun) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 85-J.Dreessen.

4-8-HOU 35 (11:41) 1-M.Turk punts 49 yards to SEA 16, Center-85-J.Dreessen. 81-N.Burleson to SEA 11 for -5 yards (34-D.Barber). (The punt hangtime was 4.8 seconds)

that was our first drive in the second half.
dont bring that reality nonsense in here, we're supposed to be ranting about the win.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read