Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2009   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We need a franchise RB

This team needs a horse who can be counted on to carry 20+ times a game. I don't know if it should be done through the draft (Gerhart, Spiller, Dwyer) or free agency but it needs to be addressed

Slaton needs to re-prove himself yes, but I think he's atleast a good 3rd down back and can be relied on to be a 2nd back in a tandem

Moats and Foster are depth at best

Chris Brown obviously needs to go
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #2
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We need a franchise RB

I think we need better O-Lineman before we worry about our back. Between Slaton, Moats and Foster I think we have guys who can get the job done.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #3
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I think we need better O-Lineman before we worry about our back. Between Slaton, Moats and Foster I think we have guys who can get the job done.
While I think we should improve our O-Line (I want Chris Myers gone immediately), I could not disagree with you more. We need to draft a franchise RB. The "braintrust" does not put value on RBs and Safetys. That is one of many reasons why they need to go.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless we upgrade the interior o line we aren't going to improve very much in the running game.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I wouldn't mind getting Gerhart
Old 12-13-2009   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
While I think we should improve our O-Line (I want Chris Myers gone immediately), I could not disagree with you more. We need to draft a franchise RB. The "braintrust" does not put value on RBs and Safetys. That is one of many reasons why they need to go.
Well, you can't blame Smith and Kubiak for not drafting a RB this past year. We had Slaton coming off a fantastic year and who, by the looks of it, seemed to be that franchise back we'd been missing. Who knows, maybe he still can be

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #7
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
I just don't think there is any use in drafting a "franchise" back before we address our O-line issues. I would rather stick with what we have, work towards improving our line, and then go after a good back.
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2009   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm sort of being facetious, but I'd almost like to see them draft nothing but secondary, OL, and RB this year.
Old 12-13-2009   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmmmmmm...

Is it the O-line...or the QB, I mean RB, David, ooops, I mean Steve Slaton?

I KNOW we need a FS, and I'm saying it for like the trillionth time. Bet we need a RB too.................I just bet. That and some slim fast for our body-type confused, supposed-to-b-our-starter RB.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't think there is any use in drafting a "franchise" back before we address our O-line issues. I would rather stick with what we have, work towards improving our line, and then go after a good back.
My thoughts as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #11
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster's audition went well.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #12
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm sort of being facetious, but I'd almost like to see them draft nothing but secondary, OL, and RB this year.
Don't forget a run stuffing DT.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

2 do list:

1) Get a *(()^ing FS!!!

2) Get rid of our HC. Let him play chess on actual chess boards.

3) Shop at Get-A-Center!

4) Tell Slaton he is fat. Get his wife or girl to tell him it makes his thing look small. Whatever....just make him lose weight.

5) Definitely consider getting a franchise back anyway. We can always use both or trade one when they both start lighting up the NFL.

Old 12-13-2009   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
Don't forget a run stuffing DT.
I would agree, but it seems they've been doing that lately. Funny how that works when the playoff chase is over.

I take that back. It's NOT funny.

Old 12-13-2009   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why can't we do both? It doesn't even need to be a franchise back just a solid running back. What we have now is below average.

It doesn't matter anyway, this staff has shown that they will stick with a weak oline and trot out below average running backs every year. They got lucky with Slaton last year. What exactly was the plan that year anyway? Ajman Green was supposed to be our #1?

This staff has never put an emphasis on the running game, personnel or play calling. I don't expect it to change ever. We are the team that lives, and usually dies with the passing game.

Is it any wonder why nobody feels comfortable when the Texans have a lead.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the way the NFL works now, probably not as much as it seems at the moment.
Old 12-13-2009   #17
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
This team needs a horse who can be counted on to carry 20+ times a game. I don't know if it should be done through the draft (Gerhart, Spiller, Dwyer) or free agency but it needs to be addressed

Slaton needs to re-prove himself yes, but I think he's atleast a good 3rd down back and can be relied on to be a 2nd back in a tandem

Moats and Foster are depth at best

Chris Brown obviously needs to go
signed,
the last 7 sb winners

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #18
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I would agree, but it seems they've been doing that lately. Funny how that works when the playoff chase is over.

I take that back. It's NOT funny.
Agreed with the not funny part. However, I don't want to go into next season relying on guys like Cody, Zgonina, and whoever else we throw out there. Except for Dejuan, he's fine.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #19
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Why can't we do both? It doesn't even need to be a franchise back just a solid running back. What we have now is below average.

It doesn't matter anyway, this staff has shown that they will stick with a weak oline and trot out below average running backs every year. They got lucky with Slaton last year. What exactly was the plan that year anyway? Ajman Green was supposed to be our #1?

This staff has never put an emphasis on the running game, personnel or play calling. I don't expect it to change ever. We are the team that lives, and usually dies with the passing game.

Is it any wonder why nobody feels comfortable when the Texans have a lead.
I would just hate to see us bring in a great back and watch 3 of his 5 good years go to waste because there are no holes for him. Everybody knows that a RB's career is short, and I would rather have at least an average O-Line in place before using a high pick on a back.
Old 12-13-2009   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would just hate to see us bring in a great back and watch 3 of his 5 good years go to waste because there are no holes for him. Everybody knows that a RB's career is short, and I would rather have at least an average O-Line in place before using a high pick on a back.
I agree with you, but it isn't like we need to spend 1st rounders every year on the Oline to get it in better condition. We figured that out when we tried to do that with the Dline, that still needs help to this day.

Go after someone in FA, draft a guy or two. First order of business is having Caldwell play center. I am not a big fan of Eric Winston, I think a big RT would do wonders for our running game.

Just a couple of changes can get this oline to play decent. Right now they are just barely above average at pass protection, and absolutely horrid at run blocking.

I really don't think we put an emphasis on the running game. Myers is really not too bad of a pass blocker, same goes for Winston. They aren't great but they get the job done. But run blocking, they are just bad. I have seen this for years and we have not even tried to make a change.

This staff will continue to trot this OLine out there, so if you want to change the offensive line your going to need to replace the staff.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read