Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Should Kubiak get one more year?
Yes 91 52.91%
No 81 47.09%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2009   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak: Keep or Fire?

i just want to simply see what kind of support he has at the moment. also apologies if this has been done already. havent been on here since last sunday (thankfully by the looks of it) and haven't seen it if its been done
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #2
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: Keep or Fire?

I guess IF somehow all the cards fall into place, the Texans win their last 4, and the other wild card contenders lose and the Texans sneak into the playoffs I would support him coming back. I don't think it will happen, though, and while the team has improved, I don't feel that they can get the job done in crunch time.
Old 12-12-2009   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

You should make the pole public so we can see who votes for who. I voted no.
Old 12-12-2009   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I like the improvement I'm seeing on both sides of the ball. I think McNair is right, & we're a "player mindset" away from years of success.
Old 12-12-2009   #5
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I like the improvement I'm seeing on both sides of the ball. I think McNair is right, & we're a "player mindset" away from years of success.
Were a "good coach" away from success.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Be sure to leave some cookies out for Santa this Christmas. You know he appreciates em.
Old 12-12-2009   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You should make the pole public so we can see who votes for who. I voted no.
it is public... and i even considered letting people have multiple choices (especially for dexman).. i dont see what anybody should be afraid of if its what they believe. i think he should def stay but can see why some would be against that
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2009   #8
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Since he's going to be here anyway, I'll say give him another year. That way I won't be disappointed when it happens.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Since he's going to be here anyway, I'll say give him another year. That way I won't be disappointed when it happens.
Thing is, you're basically wasting another year.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If it was impossible to overcome David Carr, who was a single player on the entire team, then how can this team overcome the head coach who is over the WHOLE team and has the same problem David had (hitting a ceiling, and going no further)?

Kubiak should not get another year.

The list is long. He can't even watch critical points of the game. Weak.
Old 12-12-2009   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Hell he cant even watch important plays hows he going to handle that kind of presure next year? If we get off to a bad start he might go blind from stress.
Old 12-12-2009   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally understand he's not going anywhere. I still voted to fire him now. That way next year I'll be well entrenched in the "I TOLD YOU SO!" crowd. Kubiak lost me this year.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If it was impossible to overcome David Carr, who was a single player on the entire team, then how can this team overcome the head coach who is over the WHOLE team and has the same problem David had (hitting a ceiling, and going no further)?

Kubiak should not get another year.

The list is long. He can't even watch critical points of the game. Weak.
David's problem was not "hitting a ceiling" David was snake bitten. If he would have made an effort to throw the ball down field when it was there, he would still be here. 3rd & 24, he was hitting the dump off even though he had options down the field. That's why he isn't here.

This team continues to improve every week, on the fundamentals. Look at Texans Chick post, where Football Outsiders re-assesses the team after 3/4ths of the season has gone by.

They are playing good sound football. If they keep it up, it will translate to wins.

If they continue to make the improvements that FO says they are making, we will win.
Old 12-12-2009   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this poll is incomplete. Rather than just "Should Kubiak get one more year?", I think a 3rd option of "Extend Kubiak's contract" should have been included. I think it is completely unfair to Kubiak, the players, and the organization for Gary to walk the plank next season. Either he goes into the 2010 season with the complete confidence of the organization, or hire someone who will receive that confidence. What tiny speck of confidence I had in Kubiak's coaching ability was zapped in this latest 4 game nose dive.
Old 12-12-2009   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This team continues to improve every week, on the fundamentals.
The Texans averaged 5.4 penalties/game over the 1st half of the season. The penalties ballooned to 9 per game in this 4 game skid.

If they hadn't been improving on the fundamentals every week, who knows just how high the penalty total would be?
Old 12-12-2009   #16
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I held out hope for Kubes as long as I could, but I always make sure I can
back up what I believe. Kubiak has ripped the foundation from my wishes
to keep him here. So, it is what it is.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

not the best reason to keep him, but i don't want to go through another three year rebuilding process.
Old 12-13-2009   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
not the best reason to keep him, but i don't want to go through another three year rebuilding process.
It will be 2 years of rebuilding if he comes out stinking it up and gets off to a slow start next year.
Old 12-13-2009   #19
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

He got me a pair of 99 spd/98 acc WRs plus a 99/90 CB in one draft in Madden 05 when I hired him.

I'm all for Kubes.

For now.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
David's problem was not "hitting a ceiling" David was snake bitten. If he would have made an effort to throw the ball down field when it was there, he would still be here. 3rd & 24, he was hitting the dump off even though he had options down the field. That's why he isn't here.

This team continues to improve every week, on the fundamentals. Look at Texans Chick post, where Football Outsiders re-assesses the team after 3/4ths of the season has gone by.

They are playing good sound football. If they keep it up, it will translate to wins.

If they continue to make the improvements that FO says they are making, we will win.
David Carr was not snake-bitten.

He was (and still is) a guy who can't make his own luck. If he were to play a very bad defense, he's obviously going to survive. But he cannot read a defense, hence the dump-off passes that he just eventually convinced himself was "the only thing there for him."

It IS the perfect example of a guy who was never going to break out from the other NFL QBs and become one of the top tier guys.

As to the last sentence of your post: I firmly believe that even in the pro league of football, a collection of players is only as good as the support team around them (the coaches). Coaches cannot play the game for them, and must therefore be the eyes and ears behind the scenes--Scouting, doing film study until their eyes bleed, and then developing a SOUND game-plan for each and every opponent each and every week.

In college, you can dominate other teams just by having won the recruiting war. By having a few more studs than your opponent. At that level, the talent can beat anybody anywhere. In the NFL, the talent pool is fairly equal. You have a standout QB or WR or RB scattered here and there, but the majority of games are won by the teams who out-coach the opponent.

Frank Bush, in just his first year as our d-coord, is out-coaching Gary Kubiak's offense when it comes down to gameday strategy AND the implementation of the strategy.

I never dreamed the defense would garner my praise, and the offense would fail me so badly. But it is what it is.

David Carr hit his ceiling once defenses knew to throw exotic blitzes and stack 10 guys in the box as if they were blitzing all 10 of them and running only one safety back to cover our 4 receivers. Result: Drop back to a zone and either pick off the pass as David stumbled over himself in the face of a phantom blitz, or watch David run out of bounds and eat a needless sack.

Kubiak is also hitting that ceiling, TK.

You can see it. You don't want to see it, but it's there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read