Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-10-2009   #1
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Tomlin: Even in Defeat, He's Better Than Kubiak

I just saw his presser on NFL Network:

Quote:
I like the fight in the guys, and I trust they'll stick together,
but fighting and sticking together is not what wins football games.
Performance IS.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Mike Tomlin: Even in Defeat, He's Better Than Kubiak

i liked his little speech but they are 0-2 since Tomlin got loose

they have some OL problems and a big Super Bowl hangover too. Lance's dad has been doing it with smoke and mirrors for years and they waited too long to address the low talent level on their OL. Too many injuries and too many defections. Their center (hartwig i believe) is nearly as bad as Chris Myers....not quite, but who is.

one thing is for sure, their season is over. the texans will have the same record as the Steelers if the Kubiak-led Texans win Sunday. that is sad for Steeler fan...just pathetic.
Old 12-10-2009   #3
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I just saw his presser on NFL Network:
He is just more emotional in his pressers then Kubiak. Belichick is the same way as Kubiak, yet I'm sure you give him leeway since he is a winner. People on these boards should have learned long ago that Kubiak show no emotion when in front of the press.
Old 12-11-2009   #4
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

They somehow managed to lose to Cleveland, Kansas City, and Oakland.

I wonder if Steeler fans are ready to bring back the chin.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I pretty much said as much 2 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I just caught Mike Tomlin's post game speach....

There is a right way, and a wrong way to handle any given situation. Mike Tomlin chose to say this after his most recent loss:
Quote:
"You've got to acknowledge the potential this can be kind of a shaken group," Tomlin said. "We've swallowed a lot. I'm going to be looking very closely at these men ... in terms of who legitimately is mentally tough and who can stand the test of adversity."
This gives the fans (& the media)reason to believe the head coach is on top of the situation. His whole press conference followed the same tone, with the same message. He doesn't "blame" the players, but you understand it's a performance issue, a "mental" attitude on the field. He also gives you the feeling that he understands the problem, & knows how to fix it. The question why hasn't he addressed it or fixed it yet never comes up, because he fills you with confidence & hope for the future. He buys himself another week free of scrutiny, until we see what he puts on the field next week, & the outcome of that game.
Now, the question is what did he do differently this week than last? Winning wasn't it. Did he sit any body down? Did he bench anyone? I watched the game but I don't know the Steelers well enough to know who normally plays, & who doesn't.

Did he get anything different? Other than losing to another of the worst teams in football. That's 2 for 2 over the last 2 weeks.

I don't think that Tomlin is a bad coach. I really have no idea. They normally don't give HC jobs to bad coaches.

Instead, I use this as proof, that there are somethings that even good teams, & good coaches go through, that will negatively impact that teams W-L column.

6 Super Bowls, more than anybody else, defending champs... yada, yada, yada. They lost 5 games in a row. 1 game to the Raiders. & 1 game to the Browns, & throw in a game to the Bears.

Anyway...
After the eloquent speach he gave last week, what did he do to prepare for this week, & how did that work out for him?
Old 12-11-2009   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
He is just more emotional in his pressers then Kubiak. Belichick is the same way as Kubiak, yet I'm sure you give him leeway since he is a winner. People on these boards should have learned long ago that Kubiak show no emotion when in front of the press.
Belicheck is even worse. At least Kubiak says that it was his fault. Tomlin tells you it's the players fault. Belicheck tells you he's a genius, & things just don't work out the way you planned sometimes.
Old 12-11-2009   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Demeanor in a press conference doesn't mean jack sh*t. Some guys don't want to let the media in. Kubiak is one of those guys. I don't have a problem with that. He's a different guy behind closed doors at Reliant. Many players have referenced it over the years.

Gary Kubiak doesn't give a rat's ass what the media thinks of him, and I respect that. You really think he gets in front of players in the meeting room and says "it's all my fault, it's on me, you're all good kids"? Hell no, he lights them up and lets them have it like all coaches in the NFL do.

What we see from him in front of the cameras when he's doing his required media work doesn't mean a damn thing.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2009   #8
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now, the question is what did he do differently this week than last? Winning wasn't it. Did he sit any body down? Did he bench anyone? I watched the game but I don't know the Steelers well enough to know who normally plays, & who doesn't.

Did he get anything different? Other than losing to another of the worst teams in football. That's 2 for 2 over the last 2 weeks.

I don't think that Tomlin is a bad coach. I really have no idea. They normally don't give HC jobs to bad coaches.

Instead, I use this as proof, that there are somethings that even good teams, & good coaches go through, that will negatively impact that teams W-L column.

6 Super Bowls, more than anybody else, defending champs... yada, yada, yada. They lost 5 games in a row. 1 game to the Raiders. & 1 game to the Browns, & throw in a game to the Bears.

Anyway...
After the eloquent speach he gave last week, what did he do to prepare for this week, & how did that work out for him?
I think the loss of Troy is killing this team and they have no running game. Ben could still be suffering the effects of the concussion, but who knows.
Old 12-11-2009   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyway...
You can't be seriously comparing the Texans to the Pittsburg Steelers.

Do the zillion Super Bowl wins not register with you?
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #10
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
You can't be seriously comparing the Texans to the Pittsburg Steelers.

Do the zillion Super Bowl wins not register with you?
Yes you can compare the Texans to the Steelers. Both are AFC teams playing in the NFL in 2009, so hell yes you can compare them. Both have 5-7 records, and both have lost games they were "supposed" to win this year.

Now, looking at the Steelers history, of course the Texans don't measure up. Especially in the "games played" department. Two things that can be gleaned from looking at the Steelers historically are that keeping coaches around for more than four years has been a winning strategy for them, and building a team with an above average defense and average offense can add up to many playoff wins.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Tomlin calls his guys men and not kids.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
Yes you can compare the Texans to the Steelers. Both are AFC teams playing in the NFL in 2009, so hell yes you can compare them. Both have 5-7 records, and both have lost games they were "supposed" to win this year.

Now, looking at the Steelers history, of course the Texans don't measure up. Especially in the "games played" department. Two things that can be gleaned from looking at the Steelers historically are that keeping coaches around for more than four years has been a winning strategy for them, and building a team with an above average defense and average offense can add up to many playoff wins.
It's because their coaches win SBs and keep the tradition alive. Stop comparing apples to oranges.
Old 12-11-2009   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The Steelers have injury issues on both lines, which has annually defined Steeler football. Moreover, they do not have one of the most dominant players on the field in Polamalu.

Tomlin called his team men, and called them soft. Kubiak would coddle or play petty games with players (Slaton).
Old 12-11-2009   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
It's because their coaches win SBs and keep the tradition alive. Stop comparing apples to oranges.
Really??? 1 Super Bowl in 15 years and it took 14 seasons for that one. Oooooooooooooooooookaaay!!
Old 12-11-2009   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Really??? 1 Super Bowl in 15 years and it took 14 seasons for that one. Oooooooooooooooooookaaay!!
Hello...2 SBS...2006 and 2009. All 3 coaches Knoll, Cowher and Tomlin won SBs and Cowher went and lost also. They also made the playoffs a ton. So what was the argument?Knoll was 11-3 his 4th year and had won more games each year he coached until then. Cowher started off winning and carried the tradition for years. They even had a few lean years an then restocked.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 12-11-2009 at 09:58 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hello...2 SBS...2006 and 2009. All 3 coaches Knoll, Cowher and Tomlin won SBs and Cowher went and lost also. They also made the playoffs a ton. So what was the argument?
Hellllllloooooooooooooooo I was talking about Bill Cowher. He coached 14 years before winning his first, then coached one more after that....
Old 12-11-2009   #17
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think Tomlin came in and won with Cowhers players and most of his staff.
Old 12-11-2009   #18
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Tomlin calls his guys men and not kids.
A few of Tomlins players are as old as him and I could care less what a coach calls his players
Old 12-11-2009   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hellllllloooooooooooooooo I was talking about Bill Cowher. He coached 14 years before winning his first, then coached one more after that....
Well Eff Bill, let me know these things before you start throwing stuff out. I'm just waiting to drink

I need holiday cheer
Old 12-11-2009   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Well Eff Bill, let me know these things before you start throwing stuff out. I'm just waiting to drink

I need holiday cheer
Stay drunk. You never have a hangover.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read