Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2009   #1
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Smithiak's draft history

It's not good......at all.

Further information: 2007 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College
1/10 (from Atlanta) Amobi Okoye Defensive tackle Louisville (Bust)
3/73 Jacoby Jones Wide receiver Lane (Not long for this team)
4/123 (from New Orleans) Fred Bennett Cornerback South Carolina (Not long for this team)
5/144 Brandon Harrison Safety Stanford (He got cut didn't he?)
5/163 (from New Orleans) Brandon Frye Offensive tackle Virginia Tech (Gone)
6/183 Kasey Studdard Offensive guard Texas (Depth at best)
7/218 Zac Diles Linebacker Kansas State (Not the best OLB but he will do for now)

Further information: 2008 NFL Draft
1/26 (from Baltimore) Duane Brown Offensive tackle Virginia Tech (Decent pick, I like him)
3/79 Antwaun Molden Cornerback Eastern Kentucky (Always hurt, bust)
3/89 (from Baltimore) Steve Slaton Running back West Virginia (we will see after this year)
4/118 Xavier Adibi Linebacker Virginia Tech (Depth)
5/151 Frank Okam Defensive tackle Texas (You can't be active with this group of scrubs? Not long for this team)
6/173 (from Baltimore) Dominique Barber Safety Minnesota (Depth)
7/223 Alex Brink Quarterback Washington State (gone)

Further information: 2009 NFL Draft
1/15 Brian Cushing Linebacker Southern California (Stud)
2/46 Connor Barwin Defensive end Cincinnati (situational, depth)
3/77 Antoine Caldwell Center Alabama (Depth)
4/112 Glover Quin Cornerback New Mexico (Hey look a starter)
4/122 (from Minnesota) Anthony Hill Tight end North Carolina State (mostly inactive or hurt)
5/152 James Casey Tight end Rice (Depth)
6/188 Brice McCain Cornerback Utah (Depth)
7/223 Troy Nolan Safety Arizona State (who?)

I know I know, a lot of guys say that it takes 3-4 years to judge a draft but the 07 draft looks a lot like the 05 draft.

Further information: 2005 NFL Draft
1/16 (from New Orleans) Travis Johnson Defensive tackle Florida State
3/73 (from Dallas) Vernand Morency Running back Oklahoma State
4/114 Jerome Mathis Wide receiver Hampton
5/151 Drew Hodgdon Center Arizona State
6/188 C.C. Brown Safety Louisiana-Lafayette
7/277 Kenneth Pettway Linebacker Grambling

My problem with the way that we draft is that out of 22 draft picks we are only able to get 6 starters on a team that has never been any good and has holes all over the place. This is a team that sells me every year that we are a team that builds through the draft and develops its players but no one gets developed. There is a good possibility that 6 out of 14 players from the 07 / 08 drafts are not even on this team heading into next year.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #2
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Smithiak's draft history

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

4/123 (from New Orleans) Fred Bennett Cornerback South Carolina (Not long for this team)
7/218 Zac Diles Linebacker Kansas State (Not the best OLB but he will do for now)

1/26 (from Baltimore) Duane Brown Offensive tackle Virginia Tech (Decent pick, I like him)
3/89 (from Baltimore) Steve Slaton Running back West Virginia (we will see after this year)
5/151 Frank Okam Defensive tackle Texas (You can't be active with this group of scrubs? Not long for this team)

4/122 (from Minnesota) Anthony Hill Tight end North Carolina State (mostly inactive or hurt)

I know I know, a lot of guys say that it takes 3-4 years to judge a draft but the 07 draft looks a lot like the 05 draft.

My problem with the way that we draft is that out of 22 draft picks we are only able to get 6 starters on a team that has never been any good and has holes all over the place. This is a team that sells me every year that we are a team that builds through the draft and develops its players but no one gets developed. There is a good possibility that 6 out of 14 players from the 07 / 08 drafts are not even on this team heading into next year.
So, "Smithiak drafts well!" is only a company line? I admit it. I bought it.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

You're off. First of all, any contribution you get from 6th and 7th rounders is a success. So Studdard and Diles holding down starting jobs, even though sub-optimal, makes them a fine pick.

Second, Okoye is not a bust. He had a good rookie season in '07, followed by a sophomore slump in '08, followed by what's turning out to be a pretty good year for him. He's not the dominant force we all hoped he'd be, but he's far from a bust yet.

Third, Jacoby Jones has finally started to contribute somewhere besides ST and is actually turning into a nice little player, and you're calling him a bust? I don't think you know very much about NFL player development. It usually takes about three years for wide receivers to develop. Sure, we'd love all our receivers to be like AJ, but get real. JJ is actually following a pretty standard path of progression, which is remarkable when you consider where he came from.

Finally, any evaluation you want to apply to the '08 and '09 draft is way too early. So there's no point in even going there with you, especially after seeing your unfounded opinion on the '07 draft. The team hit on at least four draft picks from the '07 draft, and Bennett even showed he could play one year, so perhaps there are some other issues going on there.
Old 12-10-2009   #4
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye is a bust for being the 10th overall pick. JMO
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ddressing 2007 only for now,

Okoye; not a bust but not what I hoped for. Bush seems to have the run game slowed immensely and Okoye gets lots of plays. I would evaluate him after season.

JJ: I think you are speaking from emotion that the guy keeps shooting himself in the toe. Get to the damn meeting!He has corrected the fumbling issue and was doing well as a WR. He is not going anywhere yet.

Bennett: A true puzzle. Another poster said Fred suffered a personal loss that screwed his entire season. If this is true and hoping he can resurrect his playing career, I'd keep him until I could see if his head is better.

Studdard: I can't evaluate this guy. Early season, I think Pitts was helping him.
Old 12-10-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
You're off. First of all, any contribution you get from 6th and 7th rounders is a success. So Studdard and Diles holding down starting jobs, even though sub-optimal, makes them a fine pick.

Second, Okoye is not a bust. He had a good rookie season in '07, followed by a sophomore slump in '08, followed by what's turning out to be a pretty good year for him. He's not the dominant force we all hoped he'd be, but he's far from a bust yet.
Ok0ye is an epic bust. He makes zero difference and we pay him a top ten rookie contract. You can't tell the difference when he gets replaced by a journeyman like Shaun Cody...we get the same non push and inability to anchor.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #7
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This thread...it's not good...at all.

Seriously reactionary stuff here that's all about Kubiak's job security and not at all about the players themselves.

Cmon, man. Jacoby Jones, Zac Diles, Cushing, Amobi Okoye, Quin, Slaton, Barwin, Duane Brown, etc.

Dumb.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2009   #8
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Ok0ye is an epic bust. He makes zero difference and we pay him a top ten rookie contract. You can't tell the difference when he gets replaced by a journeyman like Shaun Cody...we get the same non push and inability to anchor.
You must spread reputation around before giving it to Vinny again.

+1
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Sorry, I reserve the term "epic bust" for guys like Tony Mandarich.

Even if you think Okoye is a bust for where he was picked, it still doesn't validate the point of the thread.
Old 12-10-2009   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Third, Jacoby Jones has finally started to contribute somewhere besides ST and is actually turning into a nice little player, and you're calling him a bust? I don't think you know very much about NFL player development. It usually takes about three years for wide receivers to develop. Sure, we'd love all our receivers to be like AJ, but get real. JJ is actually following a pretty standard path of progression, which is remarkable when you consider where he came from.

Finally, any evaluation you want to apply to the '08 and '09 draft is way too early. So there's no point in even going there with you, especially after seeing your unfounded opinion on the '07 draft. The team hit on at least four draft picks from the '07 draft, and Bennett even showed he could play one year, so perhaps there are some other issues going on there.
I don't think he's a bust but certainly an epic disappointment considering we missed on on Revis and Willis for him.

I think Studdard holding a starting job down is more on Gary Kubiak keeping him around then Studdard blowing people away with his talent. That's just me me though.

Diles. Not argument here. Lunch pail guy who brought it and has outplayed and out hustled guys to keep his spot. Good pick.

Jones has been up and down, but you're right this year he's contributing beyond punts. I wouldn't call him a good pick yet but looks like he might be coming around.

Fred Bennett is a puzzle. Looked like he was the real deal his rookie campaign and then just falls off dramatically.

I've pointed it out in other threads. Smith has been up and down on the draft, but it's hard to really put it all on him considering the amount of input Gary Kubiak has.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
This thread...it's not good...at all.

Seriously reactionary stuff here that's all about Kubiak's job security and not at all about the players themselves.

Cmon, man. Jacoby Jones, Zac Diles, Cushing, Amobi Okoye, Quin, Slaton, Barwin, Duane Brown, etc.

Dumb.
Nice opinion.

JJ? He is another Mathis. He won't be in the league long and he has been given chance after chance to clean it up. He was even made to house with the rookies this year.

Okoye is a bust. I don't know how you can debate that.

Quin is a first year player and too early to tell. Bennett any one?

Slaton? Really? Not saying that he is a bust but he has had one really good year and then 7 fumbles in five games this year.

Brown and Cushing are studs.

Barwin has had two sacks IIRC so far this year. He is a second round draft pick that is situational. Its a bit of a luxery pick when you have a team with needs all over the place. Not saying he does not have talent but again, we spent a second round pick on a guy who has only played that position for one year. Any body remember Seth Wand?

Diles? I am not sold on Diles either. I think he is a younger Morlon Greenwood. He is slow and playing out of position. He is keeping the seat warm IMO.

So none of those guys you mentioned with the exception of Brown and Cushing are worth debating.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Earlier this year i made a post on how Smith has done well in finding veteran to fill in holes. This post shows me that the Texans have had to do so. While you can't expect a particular mid to late round draft pick to workout, becuase of the numbers of players in the NFL you have to hit on the some of these guys not just as depth, but as starters. right now, I am seeing one long-term starter (diles) from this list drafted the 4th round or later.

Let me put it this way to fill out a starting line-up, assuming one high dollar free agent and hitting on all of you picks in the first 3 rounds, it would take 5 plus years to get to 22 starters. The numbers say finding players in the late rounds is a have to do not a nice thing to do.
Old 12-10-2009   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

These same players would look better right now if the team was 7-5.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

you've got to include Matt Schaub he cost Texans 2nd rd. picks in 07 & 08
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice opinion.

JJ? He is another Mathis. He won't be in the league long and he has been given chance after chance to clean it up. He was even made to house with the rookies this year.

Slaton? Really? Not saying that he is a bust but he has had one really good year and then 7 fumbles in five games this year.

Barwin has had two sacks IIRC so far this year. He is a second round draft pick that is situational. Its a bit of a luxery pick when you have a team with needs all over the place. Not saying he does not have talent but again, we spent a second round pick on a guy who has only played that position for one year. Any body remember Seth Wand?

Diles? I am not sold on Diles either. I think he is a younger Morlon Greenwood. He is slow and playing out of position. He is keeping the seat warm IMO.

So none of those guys you mentioned with the exception of Brown and Cushing are worth debating.
So, why do you think your opinion is any more valid than any other fan posting here?
Old 12-10-2009   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
These same players would look better right now if the team was 7-5.
Maybe if these players WERE better, the team would be 7-5.
Old 12-10-2009   #17
Ckw

I will only address one thing: those of you hating on Slaton.

Yes, he had major fumble problems this year (how much of that was due to the neck injury we will never know) but have you looked at the guys production this year?!?!?!?! He was not that effective running the ball for us this season but behind the worst interior line in the NFL, most backs would struggle. That being said in only 11 games, the guy had over 850 total yards (rushing and receiving), averaged over 9 yards per reception, and scored 7 touchdowns!

Such a bust that 3rd round Steve Slaton is.
Old 12-10-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice opinion.

He is alot more natural at wide reciever to say Mathis 2.0. I'm not sold that JJ could'nt be a bigger piece of our puzzle.
Old 12-10-2009   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsportsfan09 View Post
you must spread reputation around before giving it to vinny again.

+1
+ 2

And I can't believe that anyone is trying to argue that Okoye isn't a bust. When you spend a top ten pick in the draft on a DT, you're supposed to get a stud. Okoye has been very far from that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you've got to include Matt Schaub he cost Texans 2nd rd. picks in 07 & 08
I don't think that was a bad trade on our part. They got 2 2nd round picks but had to turn around and draft a guy 3rd overall.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read