Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2009   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gary Kubiak is the David Carr of Coaches

Really. He is

The parallels are uncanny and the arguments on the board parallel the ones made years ago. I'll try to go through them one by one

1) "Dave needs more talent around him" and "Gary needs more talent on the team."--These arguments have been made by pro-Gary and DC lovers alike. The basic premise is that waiting one more year will give each of these people more talent through the draft and FA to become a better QB or Coach. With Dave it failed. So far with Gary it has led to more talented teams producing the same records.

2) Same Mistakes, Different Year--This one really gets to me the most. Most of us that wanted DC gone always looked at things he couldn't master over a 4 year period....took bad sacks, stared down receivers and wouldn't throw the ball away. He never could get those basic things down. Gary has the same problems and they have reared their head over and over in 4 years...wastes time outs/bad time management, horrible challenges, having his team ready to play every week/Discipline.

3) Owner loves them/They are Nice People To the point where all objectivity goes out the window. They are NIIIICCCE. "He" is a nice guy. Dave is a good Christian that really is a good guy. Bob loves him. Gary is a good guy who really takes this to heart. Bob wants him to succeed. Blah!

4) Hair--At one point they both sported a feathered butt cut

5) "Did you see that improvement"--These are the little things that are pointed out that support each of them. Gary has made the offense a top offense, yet they keep losing big games. Dave had a season where he had a top passer rating(throwing 5 yard passes) yet they kept losing. So you see things to hang your hat on yet there seems to be a result failure that correlates with them.

Sorry, had to have some good natured fun with #4. Overall it is like I've stepped back in time to hear the same arguments for or against with "For Gary" being more emotional toward the man and having no real thing to point to and the "Fire Gary" as more statistical and pointing out what he has failed to do despite more talent. Fire up the DeLorean

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 12-10-2009 at 11:06 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak is the David Carr of Coaches

Old 12-10-2009   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
What is so stupid about it? There is a divide in the fan base and both sides have similarities in their arguments. It is more an observation of what is going on. I'm sorry I don't agree with your unwaivering and unquestioning faith in mediocre results. Look at your signature and then this. It is like you are a little kid throwing a tantrum because people are speaking their minds.
Old 12-10-2009   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry. Not going to stop posting.

Great points although I don't recall ever seeing Kubiak with a feathered butt cut. Other than that, spot on.

Very interesting food for thought.
Old 12-10-2009   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Really. He is

The parallels are uncanny and the arguments on the board parallel the ones made years ago. I'll try to go through them one by one

1) "Dave needs more talent around him" and "Gary needs more talent on the team."--These arguments have been made by pro-Gary and DC lovers alike. The basic premise is that waiting one more year will give each of these people more talent through the draft and FA to become a better QB or Coach. With Dave it failed. So far with Gary it has led to more talented teams producing the same records.

2) Same Mistakes, Different Year--This one really gets to me the most. Most of us that wanted DC gone always looked at things he couldn't master over a 4 year period....took bad sacks, stared down receivers and wouldn't throw the ball away. He never could get those basic things down. Gary has the same problems and they have reared their head over and over in 4 years...wastes time outs/bad time management, horrible challenges, having his team ready to play every week/Discipline.

3) Owner loves them/They are Nice People To the point where all objectivity goes out the window. They are NIIIICCCE. "He" is a nice guy. Dave is a good Christian that really is a good guy. Bob loves him. Gary is a good guy who really takes this to heart. Bob wants him to succeed. Blah!

5) "Did you see that improvement"--These are the little things that are pointed out that support each of them. Gary has made the offense a top offense, yet they keep losing big games. Dave had a season where he had a top passer rating(throwing 5 yard passes) yet they kept losing. So you see things to hang your hat on yet there seems to be a result failure that correlates with them.

Sorry, had to have some good natured fun with #4. Overall it is like I've stepped back in time to hear the same arguments for or against with "For Gary" being more emotional toward the man and having no real thing to point to and the "Fire Gary" as more statistical and pointing out what he has failed to do despite more talent. Fire up the DeLorean
I stuck with David Carr up until the first few weeks of his last season here.

So I felt that I was qualified to start asking for Kubiak's head a season or so ago, since I knew what a failure looked like and that I would be determined to stay off the Kool Aid when the opportunity presented itself again. I even went for the combo meal by saying that Schaub is (a) too slow, (b) too fragile, and (c) not going to elevate to the level we expect him to attain.

Then, I got all giddy with the drafting of Cushing and I started taking sips of the Kool Aid over the preseason. I even stayed level-headed through the end of the Cards game, saying that I felt we would go on a win streak. And we did. But then I said we'd have a let-down game, and I never figured it would be 4 consecutive let-down games.

I've decided that Gurry Kubiak is so entrenched in the massive overhauling project he undertook four years ago, that he now doesn't know how to focus solely upon gameday strategy and typical head coach tasks.

The games have a feel of being a normal Texans practice, with Kubiak analyzing his offense and trying out the plays he thinks will work. In his mind, there is no defense on the field; he's running his plays and wants to ensure that ONLY his plays are ran. This is why he's away from the players and in his own world. He's locked away in his laboratory and can't be disturbed by any of his fellow scientists or colleagues.

Except there IS a defense on the field, and they ARE adjusting to us.

It feels like this offense has fallen down into the rabbit hole.

Our QB can't audible unless it's to a running play. Is he for real? LOL. We have THE best wide receiver, maybe in the history of the game (arguably) and we can't use him to our advantage by audibling to a pass play that sets him up? Tom Brady would kill to have Andre Johnson.

We sit one of our top playmakers because of being late to a meeting? Past transgressions aside, you're trying to WIN and SAVE YOUR JOB, Gurry! Figure out a better way to lead men instead of a cookie-cutter approach that worked in the 1950s. This is a business, Gurry!

Frank Bush has LESS playmakers (He's got three: Mario, Ryans, Cushing) and one solid run-support guy (Pollard) and I think he has done a better job of c-o-a-c-h-i-n-g his squad than Kubiak has done with Schaub, OD, AJ, Slaton, His two butt-buddies Beavis and Butt-Head, and Jacoby Jones.

Throw in a low-risk, safe-bet owner like Bob McNair and we got problems, folks. I've been screaming it from the rooftops that the owner just might be the biggest culprit of all (great guy and all, but hey: We want a winning team!).

Glad to have Texans football. Not thrilled with the direction Gurry Kubiak has taken us this season.
Old 12-10-2009   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Sorry. Not going to stop posting.

Great points although I don't recall ever seeing Kubiak with a feathered butt cut. Other than that, spot on.

Very interesting food for thought.
And that was my point....food for thought. I'm not saying Kubes can't do it down the line with another team or that if he is kept around they won't do better. But I joined the board in full DC crisis and the arguments are very similar now
Old 12-10-2009   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-10-2009   #8
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr is a worthless excuse for a NFL QB. Any and all comparisons of him to anything other than what gets flushed down a toilet are meaningless and unfair. Kubiak may or may not have the ability to be a successful NFL head coach (Iím still undecided about if he deserves another year here) but he is no David Carr. To compare Carr (the second most responsible person for the Texans failure) to Kubiak is way off the mark.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-10-2009   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
David Carr is a worthless excuse for a NFL QB. Any and all comparisons of him to anything other than what gets flushed down a toilet are meaningless and unfair. Kubiak may or may not have the ability to be a successful NFL head coach (Iím still undecided about if he deserves another year here) but he is no David Carr. To compare Carr (the second most responsible person for the Texans failure) to Kubiak is way off the mark.
Again, it was an exercise to show parallels between the arguments against both at a similar time. The arguments just kept jumping out...especially the development in certain areas/mistakes. Carr was horrible in the end. There is no guarantee that Kubes will be any better of a coach than coordinator. Although I think he has done much more here than DC ever could do.
Old 12-10-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Mother of Pearl! Seeing Kubiak/Carr comparisons has got to mean we're close to rock bottom.

This season------>
Old 12-10-2009   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread hurts because it is bringing back some old memories.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #14
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope. Gary turned this franchise into a team that is respectable. HWSNBN kept this team from being respectable. Gary has been in the league 25+ years and is known for putting in the work. HWSNBN not so much.

I'm not saying he 's having trouble getting the team over that hump because he is and that might cost him his job.

Sorry I don't see the comparison.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I stuck with David Carr up until the first few weeks of his last season here.

So I felt that I was qualified to start asking for Kubiak's head a season or so ago, since I knew what a failure looked like and that I would be determined to stay off the Kool Aid when the opportunity presented itself again. I even went for the combo meal by saying that Schaub is (a) too slow, (b) too fragile, and (c) not going to elevate to the level we expect him to attain.

Then, I got all giddy with the drafting of Cushing and I started taking sips of the Kool Aid over the preseason. I even stayed level-headed through the end of the Cards game, saying that I felt we would go on a win streak. And we did. But then I said we'd have a let-down game, and I never figured it would be 4 consecutive let-down games.

I've decided that Gurry Kubiak is so entrenched in the massive overhauling project he undertook four years ago, that he now doesn't know how to focus solely upon gameday strategy and typical head coach tasks.

The games have a feel of being a normal Texans practice, with Kubiak analyzing his offense and trying out the plays he thinks will work. In his mind, there is no defense on the field; he's running his plays and wants to ensure that ONLY his plays are ran. This is why he's away from the players and in his own world. He's locked away in his laboratory and can't be disturbed by any of his fellow scientists or colleagues.

Except there IS a defense on the field, and they ARE adjusting to us.

It feels like this offense has fallen down into the rabbit hole.

Our QB can't audible unless it's to a running play. Is he for real? LOL. We have THE best wide receiver, maybe in the history of the game (arguably) and we can't use him to our advantage by audibling to a pass play that sets him up? Tom Brady would kill to have Andre Johnson.

We sit one of our top playmakers because of being late to a meeting? Past transgressions aside, you're trying to WIN and SAVE YOUR JOB, Gurry! Figure out a better way to lead men instead of a cookie-cutter approach that worked in the 1950s. This is a business, Gurry!

Frank Bush has LESS playmakers (He's got three: Mario, Ryans, Cushing) and one solid run-support guy (Pollard) and I think he has done a better job of c-o-a-c-h-i-n-g his squad than Kubiak has done with Schaub, OD, AJ, Slaton, His two butt-buddies Beavis and Butt-Head, and Jacoby Jones.
Throw in a low-risk, safe-bet owner like Bob McNair and we got problems, folks. I've been screaming it from the rooftops that the owner just might be the biggest culprit of all (great guy and all, but hey: We want a winning team!).

Glad to have Texans football. Not thrilled with the direction Gurry Kubiak has taken us this season.
I agree with all of it, but the bolded most of all.
Old 12-10-2009   #16
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't agree with your unwaivering and unquestioning faith in mediocre results.
again, for clarity...I am simply erring on the side of optimism. there are things I think he can and should improve on. "unwavering and unquestioning faith"...I don't think so, but if that is how you see the other side of this argument, there's really not much sense in debating any points with you.
Old 12-10-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
again, for clarity...I am simply erring on the side of optimism. there are things I think he can and should improve on. "unwavering and unquestioning faith"...I don't think so, but if that is how you see the other side of this argument, there's really not much sense in debating any points with you.
That isn't how I see the other side of the debate. That is what I see in you when you constantly attack any thought out argument to the contrary and when you use that signature and the sign above...by the way......

Quote:
IMMEDIATELY is spelled wrong. And the thread is stupid? Nice work
Old 12-10-2009   #18
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Well at least Kubiak is not the Glass Schaub of coaches takes one hit and doesnt get up.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is certainly not the problem with the Texans. All anybody has to do is see last week's game when he went down. It's a HUGE drop when he's not QB'ing this team. I have never dislocated or separated my shoulder but I can't imagine it's too much fun and I certainly gained a mile of respect for the guy for coming back into the game. He's so not the problem.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Mother of Pearl! Seeing Kubiak/Carr comparisons has got to mean we're close to rock bottom.

This season------>
This is the type of crap that makes me want to drink.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read