Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2009   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dan Reeves, anyone?

The Chronicle had a list of 16 big-name coaches already available should Kubiak get fired.

http://www.chron.com/sports/photogal....html#19510310

The one that stuck out to me and make me go, "hmmmmm", was Dan Reeves. He's coached in SIX Super Bowls, won two of them, and had a plethora of playoff appearances with multiple teams.

Add to that the fact that he's only 62, and has already served as a consultant to Bob McNair, and I think you have a genuine head coaching candidate there.

It's not making me jump up and down screaming "GET HIM", but I don't think I'd be very disappointed to see Reeves head this team.

Last edited by DerekLee1; 12-09-2009 at 07:40 PM.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dan Reeves, anyone?

The only person that would really piss me off if they took over the Texans would be Gruden. Reeves doesn't sound so bad. I had forgotten the part where he was a "consultant" for McNair once.

Interesting.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The only person that would really piss me off if they took over the Texans would be Gruden. Reeves doesn't sound so bad. I had forgotten the part where he was a "consultant" for McNair once.

Interesting.
Pretty much my feelings. I just hate Gruden for some reason.
Old 12-09-2009   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Goodness, the title of this thread and most of the coaching names that are in that photo array makes me want to barf.

I wouldn't barf though. I'm from a big family and my mom didn't like to clean up throwup. So when any of us were sick, she'd start yelling, "Don't throw up, don't throw up!!!" and then race around to get something for us to puke in. So to this day, even if I want to puke, and I need to puke, I can't puke. I have probably thrown up less than 5 times in my whole life. I learned recently that my siblings are the same way.

Not that my hurl habits are particularly relevant to this thread, but I dearly hope Dan Reeves is irrelevant to the Texans coaching situation. Because it sucks to need to barf about something and not be able to.

According to his wiki, Reeves will be 66 in January.
Old 12-09-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Interesting.
Yeah well I have tried to forget he was a consultant...he was the one who said he thought the franchise could still win with Davey Carr.

He's got a good record, but it makes me nervous he's been away from the game for a while now.

Only the Chron would list candidates for a job that have no interest in returning to coaching.

I have to admit though, I wouldn't want him as a HC but I think Martz would do interesting things with this offense.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I'm disappointed you hate old people. I was gonna ask you out. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Of the many names posters have mentioned on these forums - Reeves is one of the few who I would consider to replace Kubiak. Six superbowls and the many playoff experiences with multiple teams ..... hard to come up with a more qualified resume.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2009   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Goodness, the title of this thread and most of the coaching names that are in that photo array makes me want to barf.

I wouldn't barf though. I'm from a big family and my mom didn't like to clean up throwup. So when any of us were sick, she'd start yelling, "Don't throw up, don't throw up!!!" and then race around to get something for us to puke in. So to this day, even if I want to puke, and I need to puke, I can't puke. I have probably thrown up less than 5 times in my whole life. I learned recently that my siblings are the same way.

Not that my hurl habits are particularly relevant to this thread, but I dearly hope Dan Reeves is irrelevant to the Texans coaching situation. Because it sucks to need to barf about something and not be able to.

Oh never mind!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2009   #9
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Billick - no thanks. Something about him was never right.

Cowher - Sure. C'mon over.

Dungy - bwahahahahahaha. Like he's coming back.

Herm Edwards - really? We already have a coach that can't manage the clock!

Gruden - Nope. He likes the booth.

Holmgren - looking more and more like he's going to Seattle as the Emperor to Mora's Vader.

Jimmy Johnson - Really? This is the best they could come up with? Why not list Bum Phillips as a candidate, too.

Mike Martz - I'm not even going to comment on this. He's a head case.

Dan Reeves - Well, this one doesn't make me want to slash my wrists. I guess that's saying something.

Marty Schottenheimer - Okay. I gotta say, I wouldn't mind some Martyball. He'd have to go to LensCrafters, though, and get rid of those huge honkin' glasses. I couldn't take multiple years of those.

Elder Shanny - Meh. If the Denver thing hasn't worked up until now.....

Leslie Frazier - I guess. Will he call any halfback passes? No? Hired. Championship!

Russ Grimm - I got nothing on this. Grimm or Kubiak, I stick with Kubes.

Ron Rivera - Maybe. The prospect of a defensive minded HC is appealing.... especially with some of the talent we have on that side of the ball.

Brian Schottenheimer - Only if he comes in a package deal with Marty.

Gregg Wiliams - Well, he didn't do so hot as an HC before. Of course, The Hoodie didn't do so hot his first stint in Cleveland, either.

Sheesh. That was a bath of cold water......
Old 12-10-2009   #10
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
He's coached in SIX Super Bowls, won two of them, and had a plethora of playoff appearances with multiple teams.
A plethora? Tell me, what eez a plethora?
Old 12-10-2009   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Dan Reeves? Why would anyone suggest the cryptkeeper of NFL coaches? We may as well try to hire Don Shula

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Dan Reeves? Why would anyone suggest the cryptkeeper of NFL coaches? We may as well try to hire Don Shula
That's what I'm saying.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92829 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Either that or we can try and get Mike Ditka over here.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #14
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post

The one that stuck out to me and make me go, "hmmmmm", was Dan Reeves. He's coached in SIX Super Bowls, won two of them, and had a plethora of playoff appearances with multiple teams.
Which 2 did he win? As a head coach he took Denver to 3 and lost all of them.

Giants, Redskins, and 49ers.

He also took the Falcons to the Super Bowl and lost to the Broncos.

He might have won 2 as an assistant somewhere. Do did Kubiak, though.
Old 12-11-2009   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Reeves had all those years with Elway, but then he took ATL to the SB, which was pretty impressive. Chris Chandelier was the QB for that, wasn't he? Comparable to Schaub, so far.

Reeves is too old to handle the gig anymore, I would imagine. Four years ago, I kind of hoped he was going to take a stab at the job, but now, not so much.
Old 12-11-2009   #16
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
Which 2 did he win? As a head coach he took Denver to 3 and lost all of them.

Giants, Redskins, and 49ers.

He also took the Falcons to the Super Bowl and lost to the Broncos.

He might have won 2 as an assistant somewhere. Do did Kubiak, though.
I was thinking that too
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read