Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2009   #1
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson: "We Just Run What They Call"

If you guys remember, this was the line that got Richard Smith canned when
his defensive players started using it. This is the way players express their
loss of confidence in their playcallers. If Kubiak ain't careful, he's gone.

My soap will remain up until a decision is made on him. His players verbally
express support for him, but on the field, they keep screwing up in crucial
situations.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson: "We Just Run What They Call"

I honestly don't know why the hell Schaub isn't allowed to call audibles at the line. QBs are supposed to be a extension of their coach (especially if that coach is offensive minded) and alot of high caliber veteran QBs are given the freedom to call audibles every once in awhile. Schaub seems like a really smart guy and at this point he's a experienced veteran....I really don't understand why the man is never allowed to audible out of a play.

David freaking Carr was even allowed to audible out of plays for Christ's sake (granted he always checked down to a running play, but the man was able to change plays).

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-08-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #3
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I honestly don't know why the hell Schaub isn't allowed to call audibles at the line. QBs are supposed to be a extension of their coach (especially if that coach is offensive minded) and alot of high caliber veteran QBs are given the freedom to call audibles every once in awhile. Schaub seems like a really smart guy and at this point he's a experienced veteran....I really don't understand why the man is never allowed to audible out of a play.

David freaking Carr was even allowed to audible out of player for Christ's sake (granted he always checked down to a running play, but hte man was able to change plays).
Schaub's not allowed to audible, because Kubiak will not allow ANY decision
HE makes to be questioned. The offense is his baby, and if he signs off
on it, it's gospel. If it doesn't work, Vonta missed a block. In Kubiak's
mind, if he calls the play, it's the RIGHT play.
Old 12-08-2009   #4
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this once in another thread that Kubes calls the plays, not lil shanny or even BOB....Coach freakin Kubiak thats it...what he sees goes and thats final...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #5
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Schaub's not allowed to audible, because Kubiak will not allow ANY decision
HE makes to be questioned. The offense is his baby, and if he signs off
on it, it's gospel. If it doesn't work, Vonta missed a block. In Kubiak's
mind, if he calls the play, it's the RIGHT play.
Bam! I couldn't agree more...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #6
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This has been addressed by me on the radio and Matt and Rich said they know he is able to make changes to the play but he cannot call another play which is crazy in the NFL. If your running and you got 8 in the Box wouldn't it be better to send Andre long or something. I have gone around with this but to no avail. Matt and Rich never brought it up to Kubes when it was there job to do so.
Old 12-08-2009   #7
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I have heard Rich bring it up with Gary himself on his show. Kubiak says that they believe in what they have called and should be able to run it, or something like that.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2009   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle
I have heard Rich bring it up with Gary himself on his show. Kubiak says that they believe in what they have called and should be able to run it, or something like that.
Kubes hasn't shown a lot of flexibility of thought in his tenure here.

=============

If Kubiak allows Schaub to change plays it might be successful. However, it might also be unsuccessful. I see the limitation on Schaub as further .500 thinking. It is "not playing to win" for fear of losing. As more commonly stated: playing not to lose.

============

I also think it is hard for a qb to become a leader when the coach restricts his ability to lead like this.
Old 12-08-2009   #9
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes no sense to me either. I wonder though, how many other coaches besides Kubiak don't allow audibles to be called? I don't know of any myself but don't keep up with other teams either.

I do remember watching Mark Sanchez bark audibles in week 1 though.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle
Makes no sense to me either. I wonder though, how many other coaches besides Kubiak don't allow audibles to be called? I don't know of any myself but don't keep up with other teams either.

I do remember watching Mark Sanchez bark audibles in week 1 though.
And I thought maybe Kubes' kidz were just too young.
Old 12-08-2009   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of what this offense does is to set up things they want to do later.

They hammer you on slants to set up the slant and go which has gotten us quite a few long TDs.
They run the ball whether it is working or not so they can run playaction, which had gotten us a ton of TDs.
They run a bunch of passes in a row to get teams to pin their ears back so they can set up the screen.

I would like to see Schaub have the option to audible out of a play that the defense is clearly expecting, or in good position to stop. You don't throw a bubble screen against press coverage. You don't run a bunch of deep routes against an all out blitz. etc.

He needs to atleast be able to change individual routes.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The good teams all have an OC for a QB. I don't know why we don't get our QB to audible. Plummer used to do it in Denver.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
The good teams all have an OC for a QB. I don't know why we don't get our QB to audible. Plummer used to do it in Denver.
Its more of a factor of Kubiak not really allowing Schaub to audible. I am not really sure why, he does this. Football is a game of adjustments. If the D is adjusting to you, you must adjust to them.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #14
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
If you guys remember, this was the line that got Richard Smith canned when
his defensive players started using it. This is the way players express their
loss of confidence in their playcallers. If Kubiak ain't careful, he's gone.

My soap will remain up until a decision is made on him. His players verbally
express support for him, but on the field, they keep screwing up in crucial
situations.
your post makes zero sense.

"on the field they keep screwing up"...and yet you're unhappy with the head coach?...for what? not handling the ball correctly?

successful Brown pass=content/quiet fans
unsuccessful Brown pass=bitching and moaning on Kardashian level

l
Old 12-08-2009   #15
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 136 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love AJ, but why wont he be a diva for once and say "I'm the best WR in this league and you never throw it to me in the red zone"
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #16
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
your post makes zero sense.

"on the field they keep screwing up"...and yet you're unhappy with the head coach?...for what? not handling the ball correctly?

l
This team has CONSISTENTLY (over the last three seasons) found ways
to get destroyed in close games. THAT, is on coaching. It's not "occasional,"
it's CONSISTENT. Coming out FLAAAAATTTT at HOME on OPENING DAY,
and looking INEPT AS ALL HELL, falls on the coaching. The players will
go as far as the coaches lead them PERIOD, DOT.

They came out "Jets Game Style" in BACK-TO-BACK seasons.

The Saints' hurricane season was much worse than ours, and they went to the
NFC Title Game. Their leadership instilled mental toughness into THAT SQUAD.

We now have three consecutive years of losing in the division, and winning
against everybody else. So, yes. It's the coaching pal. If 2006 was such
a low-talented team, why did Kubiak post his best division record ever, 3-3,
in ONLY THAT SEASON??

When you lose five, and win five, what do you get?

.500 winning percentage

When you start 5-3, and EVERY GAME MATTERS, what did it get us?
0-4

Look past 8-8, and I'll show you a coach that gets this team to lose with
more PIZAAAAAAZZ than any coach in the NFL.

Every week, they players say the same thing:
"We lost. We just gotta look at the film, and get ready for the next game."

Every goddamned week. They're checking to tape to see how they screwed
up THIS week, and they'll find a NEW way to do it the NEXT week. They
ARE consistent, just not in the direction we need them to head in.
Old 12-08-2009   #17
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread confuses me.

Did AJ say this or do you want him to say this?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post

l
Umm, yeah......that happens when you call off the cuff trick plays. Eric Winston even said the same exact thing himself on his radio show. NOBODY would be throwing a ***** fest here if the call was a fade to Andre in the back of the end zone. Kubiak's biggest problem here is he always has to outsmart himself time and time again. He would be better served going with the K.I.S.S. play call more often Excuse it any way you want, but the fact still remains.....that was a horrible call that just reeked of desperation.

Speaking of Andre, in all my years of watching pro football I have never seen a all-pro WR denied as much as he is in the red zone. Good teams find a way to get their stud playmaker the ball in the red zone and alot of times Kubiak doesn't even draw plays up for him.....it's actually embarrassing that his career high for TD receptions is 8. Seriously, the guy has arguably the best combination of size, strength, and speed at WO in the league, but for whatever reason we can't seem to get him the ball in the redzone....and Kubiak is supposed to be this "great offensive guru".
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ has his TO moment LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJD4FNpPmrk
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #20
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

How many times have we seen a jumbo formation on the goal line and Andre's not even in the game. Thats what I don't get.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read