Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2009   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Where would we be without 19-10?

When we were awarded the Texans, I know we were all extremely excited. We found out tailgating was back, we had a team of our own to root for on Sundays, and we all looked forward to when they might be good someday. But realistically, we all knew, deep down, that they'd be bad for a while. And let's face it, many of us thought it might take a while to become fully emotionally invested.

Then 19-10 happened. I personally was hooked instantly, felt the joy of having a team I could really get behind, and felt like the sky was the limit.

Fast forward to today, and I'm wondering if my emotional investment in this team might be a bit more rational if 19-10 had not happened. If the team's current course of progress had occurred without that climax in the first five minutes of the movie, would I still be as emotionally invested? Would I be in more of a wait-and-see mindset? What about you?
Old 12-08-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where would we be without 19-10?

Pffft....where are we WITH 19-10?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

A very interesting point I've never though of. I can very much relate to your feelings. But I don't have an answer for you.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

shit after we beat dallas we were chanting playoffs LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
When we were awarded the Texans, I know we were all extremely excited. We found out tailgating was back, we had a team of our own to root for on Sundays, and we all looked forward to when they might be good someday. But realistically, we all knew, deep down, that they'd be bad for a while. And let's face it, many of us thought it might take a while to become fully emotionally invested.

Then 19-10 happened. I personally was hooked instantly, felt the joy of having a team I could really get behind, and felt like the sky was the limit.

Fast forward to today, and I'm wondering if my emotional investment in this team might be a bit more rational if 19-10 had not happened. If the team's current course of progress had occurred without that climax in the first five minutes of the movie, would I still be as emotionally invested? Would I be in more of a wait-and-see mindset? What about you?
I don't see how one game or the first game makes any difference at all when it is a 16 game season and the end result of that is what matters year after year. We could have been blown out by 40 points in that game, and then had 12-4 season in year 3 or 4 and that game would have still meant nothing to me, because I'd be happy about the 12-4 season at that moment. That was just one game that took place a long time ago and hasn't hindered our success in any way or helped our success. It was great to see a win against the Cowboys in their first game they ever had, but it was still one game out of 16 none the less.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't see how one game or the first game makes any difference at all when it is a 16 game season and the end result of that is what matters year after year. We could have been blown out by 40 points in that game, and then had 12-4 season in year 3 or 4 and that game would have still meant nothing to me, because I'd be happy about the 12-4 season at that moment. That was just one game that took place a long time ago and hasn't hindered our success in any way or helped our success. It was great to see a win against the Cowboys in their first game they ever had, but it was still one game out of 16 none the less.
It has nothing to do with our success or lack thereof. But I think it does have something to do with the level of connection some fans feel to this team. If they had gone 4-12 in that first season and beaten whoever else, it would have simply been a 4-12 season. But since the opening game was a humiliating defeat for the Cowboys, it hooked quite a few fans moreso than a 4-12 team might otherwise have.
Old 12-08-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It has nothing to do with our success or lack thereof. But I think it does have something to do with the level of connection some fans feel to this team. If they had gone 4-12 in that first season and beaten whoever else, it would have simply been a 4-12 season. But since the opening game was a humiliating defeat for the Cowboys, it hooked quite a few fans moreso than a 4-12 team might otherwise have.
Exactly. I hated the Cowboys then just as much then as I do now, so beating the Cowboys on our very first game hooked me instantly. I would have still supported the Texans, but that was the proverbial icing on the cake.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2009   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Without 19-10 we would be without the single greatest moment that this franchise has achieved to this point. Sad that it was our first game 8 seasons ago.

To be quite honest, I never even think about that game anymore. Cynicism has a way of tempering the faded celebration of a meaningless game.
Old 12-08-2009   #9
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Emotionally invested? Probably. I just think 19-10 is kind of a symbol of this team having some seriously high, if misguided, hopes placed upon them by fans. No way I expected them to win that game and win they did I thought the sky was the limit.

I think a lot of the reactions on this board a tainted by that win. I'm guilty of it as well. Expecting them to be in the play-offs, calling for coaches heads seem to be the ideas from fans that are treating this team as if they are carrying on like the Oilers never left. It's a team that's been here since 2002, not 1962. I don't think you can put up billboards on par with Bills and Raiders fans when this team hasn't even been here for a decade yet.

I think our reactions have been tainted by the 19-10 but also by feeling our balls kicked in by the former team when they left.

As I write this I'm getting another theory that might be best left for another thread. I feel like we as fans are like the guys who get dumped on and treated like absolute crap by their wives who finally leave them after years of abuse. When the guy gets a new girl he treats her like crap to get the feeling like he is getting back on his ex but also as a defense to protect himself from getting hurt and dumped on again.
Old 12-08-2009   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Without 19-10 we would be without the single greatest moment that this franchise has achieved to this point. Sad that it was our first game 8 seasons ago.

To be quite honest, I never even think about that game anymore. Cynicism has a way of tempering the faded celebration of a meaningless game.
Actually Cowboy fans here seem to care about it more now than they did then. I think the fact that Texans have become a largely non-descript, mediocore franchise ( and Mittens a journey back-up) reminds them of how embarassing losing to a team in its first game is.

Real sad for us, that it truly is the highlight moment in Texans' history.
Old 12-08-2009   #11
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 25361 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Actually Cowboy fans here seem to care about it more now than they did then. I think the fact that Texans have become a largely non-descript, mediocore franchise ( and Mittens a journey back-up) reminds them of how embarassing losing to a team in its first game is.

We found out game one jusReal sad for us, that it truly is the highlight moment in Texans' history.
Without a doubt that was an embarrassing moment as a Cowboys fan. We were smacked in the face on national TV just how bad we were. We ended up only one game better than the brand new franchise. Out of the five game we won, none were greater than eight points. It is amazing after three years of 5-11 over 62K+ people still showed up. I guess we were gluttons for punishment.

The one game that I never hear Texans speak about was the win against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. The stats were horrible, the team was playoff bound, but they lost. I recall being in Texas Stadium when the score was announced, and we couldn't believe it! Most cheered because, there isn't a lot of love between Cowboys and Steelers. Nothing really passionate, but a reason to celebrate non-the-less.

Last edited by StarStruck; 12-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post

Real sad for us, that it truly is the highlight moment in Texans' history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Without a doubt that was an embarrassing moment as a Cowboys fan. We were smacked in the face on national TV just how bad we were. We ended up only one game better than the brand new franchise. Out of the five game we won, none were greater than eight points. It is amazing after three years of 5-11 over 62K+ people still showed up. I guess we were gluttons for punishment.
Embarrassing but I think people here hang onto it too much. I get the magnitude of it but unless it was brought up here I never think about it. That Cowboy team was horrible and was led by a scrub QB. Yeah they should have won being established already and the Texans beating them was a big deal but that team and game doesn't affect me one bit. Since then the Cowboys killed the Texans in a game and it has the exact same meaning...nothing. Over the years I have gone towards only caring about the now. I love how my Boys were many times over the last 35 years but I really am looking at this years team wondering why they have a December problem.
Old 12-08-2009   #13
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

19-10 only has meaning to Houston fans.

It doesn't mean anything to the rest of the league or its fans. W/L records do.

Remember that play last week, where Dunta blew up Addai, and the DEF started celebrating and then Peyton took advantage of this distraction, quickly lined his team up and nailed an unprepared defense with a 30+ yard pass?

THAT'S what 19-10 means. One moment of glory that's quickly eclipsed by other factors.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a great moment at the time, yes. However I would have had the same passion regardless of what happened in that game, because I'm a typical football Nut from Texas. It's in my blood to be passionate about football. I expected a horrible first season for us in that year and that's exactly what we got. It was no surprise since we had just started and didn't have a lot of talent. That win was great for that week, but just like any season I was thinking about the next game the very next week.

At this point, I could care less about that game and it doesn't mean anything to me. We've never even had a winning season, and all I care about is seeing the Texans get on track to becoming a consistent winning franchise. I don't look back at one game in a disappointing season and embrace how great that game was. I think ahead about what we can do to fix things or move in the right direction.

I wish I could look back and have the fond memories that you do on that game and truly embrace it the way you still are. It would be much easier on me as a fan. I'm just not that kind of guy. I'm always thinking ahead and I usually feel really good and comfortable when I think our future looks bright and successful. The only time I ever felt that way was when we finally fired Capers. But that feeling didn't last long for me once I saw a hand full of games under Kubiak. Now I have that same feeling again where I can get excited for the future, but we need to find a competent HC that I can believe in for the long term.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #15
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

I consider myself as big a Texans fan as most here, but honestly that game does not mean that much to me.

Sure, it was great at the time, but it was just one regular season game. I don't give it much thought either way. I'd be a big Texans fan regardless because they are the Houston Texans.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #16
aamcneill
Rookie

To get to the point of the post, 19-10 meant a lot for the franchise starting out. Everyone knows expansion teams are supposed to suck. And despite the decent quality of players picked up in the expansion draft, this was a team with a rookie quarterback, no offensive line and no playmakers.

I know I expected the worst in that first season.

I was born in La Porte but grew up in San Antonio and never really followed the Oilers. My favorite team growing up was whoever the Cowboys were playing that week.

So when the Texans started I finally had a team of my own. And for the Texans to face the Cowboys in the first game of the season, there was no better way to kick things off. Even if I expected to lose.

The excitement visible at Reliant Stadium and that I felt watching that game on TV and was able to carry me through a disappointing opening season. But it faded after season one was over.

In a historical context, that game was a great way to start a franchise (if I remember correctly, only the Vikings way back when were the only other team to win their first game in an expansion season) but in the longer run it will ultimately prove to be meaningless.
Old 12-08-2009   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It was a great moment at the time, yes. However I would have had the same passion regardless of what happened in that game, because I'm a typical football Nut from Texas. It's in my blood to be passionate about football. I expected a horrible first season for us in that year and that's exactly what we got. It was no surprise since we had just started and didn't have a lot of talent. That win was great for that week, but just like any season I was thinking about the next game the very next week.

At this point, I could care less about that game and it doesn't mean anything to me. We've never even had a winning season, and all I care about is seeing the Texans get on track to becoming a consistent winning franchise. I don't look back at one game in a disappointing season and embrace how great that game was. I think ahead about what we can do to fix things or move in the right direction.

I wish I could look back and have the fond memories that you do on that game and truly embrace it the way you still are. It would be much easier on me as a fan. I'm just not that kind of guy. I'm always thinking ahead and I usually feel really good and comfortable when I think our future looks bright and successful. The only time I ever felt that way was when we finally fired Capers. But that feeling didn't last long for me once I saw a hand full of games under Kubiak. Now I have that same feeling again where I can get excited for the future, but we need to find a competent HC that I can believe in for the long term.
You're misunderstanding the point of my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamcneill View Post
To get to the point of the post, 19-10 meant a lot for the franchise starting out. Everyone knows expansion teams are supposed to suck. And despite the decent quality of players picked up in the expansion draft, this was a team with a rookie quarterback, no offensive line and no playmakers.
Especially in terms of how it sucked in the fans. That's really the intent of this thread. I'm curious if people can even identify how much that single win affected how quickly and how thoroughly they became fans after that game. I personally think that, although I wanted to be a fan of the Texans, it may not have happened so quickly or thoroughly as it did if not for that win. And that means that now, even though that win is meaningless, I'm sucked in.

That is not so good sometimes.
Old 12-08-2009   #18
aamcneill
Rookie

Quote:
I personally think that, although I wanted to be a fan of the Texans, it may not have happened so quickly or thoroughly as it did if not for that win. And that means that now, even though that win is meaningless, I'm sucked in.

That is not so good sometimes.
Agreed. I fell into the same trap.
Old 12-08-2009   #19
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13211 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

I, too, would have ended up a Texans fan regardless, because I grew up in Houston/Bellaire. Part of what made that game awesome was how we got to 19 points. In most games, that would mean a touchdown and four field goals. Not here. That safety was the highlight of the game for me. I can still see it now in slow motion, as our linemen grabbed hold of the quarterback and dragged him, roaring in frustration, to the turf of the endzone.

19-10 means the same thing now it did then. It means that Houston could have glory and greatness on the football field. The Texans have yet to live up to the promise of that game, and I think that's why we're as angry as we are.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #20
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't even a Texans fan back then and I am very much emotionally attached to this team now.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read