Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default 4 years isn't enough.

I agree there have been some coaching snafus made, I agree that some of those appear to have been stubbornly made again, & again, & again.

I agree that Kubiak isn't the best HC in the league. But I think he has more upside than any KC candidate out there.

I understand not accepting mediocrity, I understand demanding excellence, & I understand, and believe Kubiak needs to feel a little heat.

I'm not going to make any excuses for him, I'm not going to paint our eminant 3rd 8-8 season in a row as a positive...

I'm just going to say I think he has done more good than not, I like what he's doing overall, & I would like to see another year of it, at least.
Old 12-07-2009   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4 years isn't enough.

I think he's worn out his welcome, but I'm almost certain that he will be here next year.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I don't know when you became such an apologist and excuse farmer but its been pretty bad lately. You even called Chris Myers our best OL and that he was playing well and was one of the best Centers in the league. Your words not mine. That made me question your sanity and now you are calling Kubiak that he has more upside than any HC candidate out there.

I appreciate the sunshine, but don't pee on my head and tell me its raining.

What has Kubiak done to merit such loyalty and such delusion?

Oh and how can 4 years not be enough...that is just ridiculous.
Old 12-07-2009   #4
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak took this team from the bottom of the league and made it a competitive mediocre team. I can't say this is a good team, though. If you look at the standings right now this team is looking at another top 10 pick. I don't think he can take this team to the next level. This team seems to be destined for 8-8 every year with him at the helm. That's not good enough.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

If they played a complete game and still came up short yesterday then I could see him being back. But they didn't. In fact it was awful at times and the coaches decisions were big highlights. I think the players are over it. I think Kubes is worn out. I think McNair has to see the landscape and see the amount of vet coaches out there and think now or never. The money in tickets he enjoys might leave with more mediocrity. There are alot of good coaches that weren't fit for HC work. Good people, etc. It isn't a sin. Look at Dave Wanstedt. Found his calling in college. Same with Pete Carroll.
Old 12-07-2009   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The easy bet is that McNair is as high on Kubiak as TK is. And TK, this is only one of about tow or three times I have disagreed with you. So it's just that, and nothing more "personal" or anything like that.

I don't want him back.

But McNair might bring him back for exactly what opinions you have stated.
Old 12-07-2009   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63823 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Well TK, I think that it is just as likely as not that Kubiak gets to coach his lame duck year. We have a good chance of seeing what exciting ideas* Kubes can come up with for another year, so you at least will be happy.

*I predict that Kubiak, who can't trust his kicker, inserts Ahman Green (picked up for that needed veteran leadership) into the line-up at fourth and goal from
the eight. He attempts a drop kick after the defense is fooled into not having it's field goal unit on the field to try and block the kick. I'll leave the prediction of the play results to other interested readers.
Old 12-07-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I don't know when you became such an apologist and excuse farmer but its been pretty bad lately. You even called Chris Myers our best OL and that he was playing well and was one of the best Centers in the league. Your words not mine. That made me question your sanity and now you are calling Kubiak that he has more upside than any HC candidate out there.

It's not about loyalty to Kubiak. It's about believing that stability leads to success and upheaval disrupts it.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It's not about loyalty to Kubiak. It's about believing that stability leads to success and upheaval disrupts it.
but that has proven to not be the case. how many times does a new head coach come in and change the mindset and direction.

What sort of success and stability has Kubiak gotten us? none. So what is there to really disrupt? There isn't.

Kubiak has failed and giving him another year is not going to change things. In fact, it will just make things worse and continue to dig us a bigger hole.

Face it, Gary just sucks as a Head Coach. He is a decent, not great, OC but a terrible Head Coach. 4 years is enough and to bring him back will hurt the franchise more than you could ever imagine. The Honeymoon Is Over.
Old 12-07-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
This motto is dead in the NFL right now. Too many teams turn the corner yearly. Too many teams find the right fit and play smart football. You'd think people would learn that with Carr and the first regime. Sometimes guys just aren't cut out for a HC job. Oh and if you think FAs will jump to sign here now or guys like AJ will be excited about another year, I've got another story.
Old 12-07-2009   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i couldnt agree more. like you tk, i see the flaws (everyone does) ... but unlike so many at this point, the scale of our failures doesnt weigh more heavily than what we've done and what i expect us to do. it's a what have you done for me lately league, especially after a loss (multiplied by consecutive losses), but i for one cant help but see this season as a beginning more than an end.
Old 12-07-2009   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

When a rebuilding team quits improving, then that's enough.

It took 3 years in this case to reach consecutive 8-8 seasons. Now the team is regressing.

4 years is plenty of time to show continuous improvement.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #13
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

The one more year thing is very tired with this organization. Look where it got us with David Carr.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

With how the same mistakes are made over and over again....4 years is most certainly enough. Kubiak will be nothing but damn lucky to coach this team next year.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Have you taken a look at our record against our division opponents? If not, take a peek at it sometime. It makes for interesting reading. lol.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
This motto is dead in the NFL right now. Too many teams turn the corner yearly. Too many teams find the right fit and play smart football. You'd think people would learn that with Carr and the first regime. Sometimes guys just aren't cut out for a HC job. Oh and if you think FAs will jump to sign here now or guys like AJ will be excited about another year, I've got another story.
likely the case, but arguably the opposite as a named player seeing a team about to get over the hump much like arizona for so long being a few breaks away. tony gonzales appeared to go to atlanta on this assumption. if we could land a first day name like hampton (PLEASE sign hampton), it'd send an enticing signal around the league that the texans completed the puzzle.
Old 12-07-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
likely the case, but arguably the opposite as a named player seeing a team about to get over the hump much like arizona for so long being a few breaks away. tony gonzales appeared to go to atlanta on this assumption. if we could land a first day name like hampton (PLEASE sign hampton), it'd send an enticing signal around the league that the texans completed the puzzle.
Atlanta made the playoffs, had weapons already in place and had gotten over the hump. that is why Gonzales went there. Last season FAs saw what you are talking about and liked it here. Now they will see 3 .500 type seasons and a regression and think there is mediocrity here. The only way Hampton comes here is under a new coach who wants to play some 3-4. JMO. Right now body language says it all and players and people are over this "next year talk."
Old 12-07-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

QFT. As I said, if you can't hold a 17 point lead on Indy, and can only muster 3-3 in your division AT BEST, you have no right to keep your job. The only consistant thing is our coach getting out coached.
Old 12-07-2009   #19
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
OTOH - I can imagine HC candidates actually WANTING this job after seeing the talent on hand here now.
Old 12-07-2009   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Kubiak has been the head coach all but the following have made the playoffs

Bills
Browns (even these dogs managed 10-6)
Raiders
Lions
Rams
49ers
Texans

Teams jump from awful to division winners every year. It is not a big deal to have a single season of relative success in the NFL (maintaining it is much different story). Only the absolute worst franchises in the NFL don't make the playoffs in 4 years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read